HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Rather Feeble Farewell

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2004, 06:45 AM
KING

vCash: 500
A Rather Feeble Farewell

http://nypost.com/sports/rangers/16902.htm

Old
03-08-2004, 08:12 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatherExecutioner
"Meanwhile, sources have told The Post that while Sather has received inquiries regarding Jaromir Jagr, the Rangers have no intention of dealing No. 68.
If you can deal Leetch, you can deal Jagr. My assumption is that no one is going to pony up anything that interests Sather enough to make the deal, not that they flat out don't want to trade him.

Old
03-08-2004, 08:15 AM
Fletch

I don't think so, MJ...

I don't honestly think you need to keep a couple players around. A total re-haul isn't necessary. Jagr's an asset like not too many. I think the guy elevates his game above even that of Leetch. There's no sense going into a season with 2-3 vets - I think a team like that doesn't get very far for very long.

Old
03-08-2004, 08:49 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

The problem is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
I don't honestly think you need to keep a couple players around. A total re-haul isn't necessary. Jagr's an asset like not too many. I think the guy elevates his game above even that of Leetch. There's no sense going into a season with 2-3 vets - I think a team like that doesn't get very far for very long.
you don't need clowns like Jagr and Holik around if all they will do is poison the enviroment of trying to grow this team. "I didn't sign on for this." Did anyone sign on for two years of inadequate play? SEVEN *** years without the POs and these guys are expecting status quo?!! It's a friggin' country club, and it's downright despicable that everyone of them haven't been run out of here, reagrdless of the need for veteran leadership. All this so-called veteran leadership led this team into the friggin' toilet. Yeah, it's a shame Leetch was traded, and no, Sather doesn't deserve to be the guy to stick around and make the moves. But, finally this disaster is being torn down and the rats are running around crying that it's not what they signed on for?? Please just ship every last clown out of here. Before today, I was prepared to see this team built around Jagr and Holik. But, if Sather was serious about making everyone available, including Jagr and Holik, I hope he does what it takes to get their sorry ***** out of here, too. Then, over the summer, handpick every single vet FA that will understand that this is not about them, it is about building a young team. If Dolan thinks the sun shines out of Sather's butt, then Sather should have NO PROBLEM ridding this team of every selfish jerk remaining regardless of the return.

Old
03-08-2004, 09:00 AM
Melrose_Jr.

I guess it doesn't matter, as I was reminded in another thread that Jagr was given a no trade during re-negotiations.

Sorry Fletch, but Sather set a standard by trading Leetch. Everyone is for sale at the right price. In reality though, I don't think anyone is foolish to make an offer that is really the "right price" for a guy like Jagr.

Old
03-08-2004, 09:18 AM
MetsJetsRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
you don't need clowns like Jagr and Holik around if all they will do is poison the enviroment of trying to grow this team. "I didn't sign on for this." Did anyone sign on for two years of inadequate play? SEVEN *** years without the POs and these guys are expecting status quo?!! It's a friggin' country club, and it's downright despicable that everyone of them haven't been run out of here, reagrdless of the need for veteran leadership. All this so-called veteran leadership led this team into the friggin' toilet. Yeah, it's a shame Leetch was traded, and no, Sather doesn't deserve to be the guy to stick around and make the moves. But, finally this disaster is being torn down and the rats are running around crying that it's not what they signed on for?? Please just ship every last clown out of here. Before today, I was prepared to see this team built around Jagr and Holik. But, if Sather was serious about making everyone available, including Jagr and Holik, I hope he does what it takes to get their sorry ***** out of here, too. Then, over the summer, handpick every single vet FA that will understand that this is not about them, it is about building a young team. If Dolan thinks the sun shines out of Sather's butt, then Sather should have NO PROBLEM ridding this team of every selfish jerk remaining regardless of the return.
From everything I have been reading, it has mainly been Holik griping about the situation and *****ing about how he doesn't know how to deal with it. It seems to me that Jagr wants to be here, is playing well here and doesn't want to go anywhere. Yes he is signed for another 4 years at $44 million, but Washington is picking up a nice chunk of that.

I see no reason why we should get rid of one of the best players in the world who:
A) wants to be here,
B) has done nothing but throw up points on the board since he has been here, and
C) would not get us a great return without our eating a chunk of his salary anyway.

Old
03-08-2004, 09:48 AM
Fletch

I think I missed...

what you're saying about Holik and Jagr, jas... I've read that Jagr wants to finish his career here, in New York The guy also seems to be working his tail off out there (as has Holik). Heck, there's even been some smiles on their faces, somehow. I want to keep those two. Both bring decent qualities that this team needs (if used properly, of course).

Old
03-08-2004, 10:09 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
what you're saying about Holik and Jagr, jas... I've read that Jagr wants to finish his career here, in New York The guy also seems to be working his tail off out there (as has Holik). Heck, there's even been some smiles on their faces, somehow. I want to keep those two. Both bring decent qualities that this team needs (if used properly, of course).

I agree Fletch, you can't let these guys go and hope you can replace them somewhere down the road. They're ours for now, might as well keep them, we need some Vets, even in this wacky version of a 'rebuild'.

F Jagr though for those comments about how fans in NY won't have patience for a rebuild... more propoganda to fuel the fires.....

Last edited by Bluenote13: 03-08-2004 at 10:20 AM.
Old
03-08-2004, 10:19 AM
Fletch

Think he's being honest...

let's just say what if Sather had hired a competent coach a couple years ago that could've righted this ship. Think the Rangers faithful would've been upset about a visit to the playoffs, as opposed to a gutting and waiting 3-5 years for the rebuild to be in full force? Do you think that if Jagr and Holik were traded and a bunch of AHL vets, and green NHLers-to-be, dawned the Garden ice and looking like PITT that many would show up? New Yorkers won't come out to see losers, and I believe that includes 22 year olds who work their tails off, but are just overmatched.

Old
03-08-2004, 10:24 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
let's just say what if Sather had hired a competent coach a couple years ago that could've righted this ship. Think the Rangers faithful would've been upset about a visit to the playoffs, as opposed to a gutting and waiting 3-5 years for the rebuild to be in full force? Do you think that if Jagr and Holik were traded and a bunch of AHL vets, and green NHLers-to-be, dawned the Garden ice and looking like PITT that many would show up? New Yorkers won't come out to see losers, and I believe that includes 22 year olds who work their tails off, but are just overmatched.

After the last 7 years of atrocious hockey, coupled with the skyrocketing price of MSG beer, and the fact that the fans still showup tells me that these fans will showup for anything, if only to b*tch & moan to one another about how awful the team is. :p

Old
03-08-2004, 10:38 AM
Slewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatherExecutioner
Holik is pretty much untradable due to his contract

Jagr is not 36 years old like Leetch, he still has plenty left in the tank, and his skill can rub off on the young players, and we probably won't be able get a fair value in return anyway.

Holik is being paid like a 1st line NHL star and he is NOT one. I don't see how he fits in the rebuilding plans. He has been saying it himself , that he doesn't belong on the 1st line with Jagr , but the Rangers don't listen. How can you commit to younger players when you still have a 9 million dollar a year checking center that you insist on playing on the #1 line ? I agree that they should keep Jagr , but they should do what they can to deal Holik(even if they have to eat some of the remaining contract).

Old
03-08-2004, 12:26 PM
Fletch

Many do show up..

because of the names brought in. Obviously the names mean less now than seven seasons ago, but I think you'll get more attendance for a bunch of Jagrs than a bunch of Balejs, until the Balejs start winning and creating a name.

And how does Holik fit in? Let's erase salaries for a moment...you get rid of Holik and you do not have one bonafide NHL centerman straight away. You can say Lundmark, but he's still got some proving to do. After that, is there one? A rebuild does not have to mean that every player is under 28 years old. There should be a mix and a program whereby youth is periodically injected - and not forced in. Having a base of Holik, Jagr, DLac, Ortmeyer, Kaspar, Poti, deVries, Tyutin and Lundmark is a start - then a couple UFAs/trades, and whatever youth's in the system.

Last edited by Fletch: 03-08-2004 at 12:30 PM.
Old
03-08-2004, 01:53 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

i too was pissed off at jagr's comment but i also think it's an incomplete comment. celebreties really need to pick their words carefully and his aren't specific enough for us to understand without assuming.

IMO ranger fans are patient with rebuilding but the AVERAGE ranger fan, those who never used a messege board for example would not have the patience for a LONG TERM rebuilding plan. I think Sather will try to rebuild but it will be an accelerated new york minute rebuilding. 2-3 years (depending on the CBA) and then he'd expect us to be tops in the league. just as his contract is running out cause unfortunately, i'm pretty sure dolan isn't going to dump him. if sather's ego was a water drop and it took him that long to step off the bench, dolan's ego is like an ocean. We're going to rebuild like san jose did just the other year and now they are tops of their division. at least that's what i think sather is imagining. and i guess no one has told jagr or holik yet.

Closed Thread