HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

TSN: Boston acquires Nylander from Washington for a 2006 2nd round pick

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2004, 09:11 AM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
2006?

That IS far away.

Old
03-04-2004, 09:13 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
If Boston get last years Nylander, this is a very good trade. Fun player to watch, hope he does ok.

Old
03-04-2004, 09:23 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

devries eh
that's a suprise

Old
03-04-2004, 09:28 AM
Battleship

vCash:
The Caps website says it's a second plus future considerations... maybe a pick in 2008 as well?

Old
03-04-2004, 09:34 AM
Beezy

Send a message via Yahoo to Beezy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleship
The Caps website says it's a second plus future considerations... maybe a pick in 2008 as well?
Probably is a pick contingent on whether the B's sign him away from UFA? Just a thought...I think there was a similar contingency in the Hackett deal last year and definitely in the Slegr deal.

Old
03-04-2004, 09:39 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

The Caps didn't need any more picks in this years draft, so it makes sense that the pick is in 2006. I wonder what the future's are though. It is most likely dependent on playoff success, but how significant are they? 4th rounder? 5th rounder? 1 dollar?

The East is good almost top to bottom now........Its going to be a GOOD playoffs!

All this is kind of sad though.......what are we all going to do on the deadline

Old
03-04-2004, 09:45 AM
BLACKBURN

Are Boston a serious contender? I just cant see them going past teams like Philly, To, NJ, Sens etc. Ahwell, best of luck to them!

Old
03-04-2004, 09:52 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

its up to raycroft
the non experience goalie

Old
03-04-2004, 09:54 AM
jincargo

I cant believe the Caps got a 2nd rounder for him....awesome. No its not next year or even 2005....but its still a 2nd rounder!

Old
03-04-2004, 10:23 AM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
its up to raycroft
Raycroft let's in as many softies as Belfour: not many.

Old
03-04-2004, 10:26 AM
Season Ticket Holder

Quote:
its up to raycroft
I think this is the most important statement of them all.

The East is an arms race, problem is the playoffs are usually won by the best goalie.

You can load up on offense till you're blue in the face, or bulk up defense, or both, but unless your goalie is absolutely at the top of his game (and one of the best) I don't think it'll make a difference.

Ottawa is in trouble with Lalime and Prusek.

Raycroft has no experience - not necessarily the end of the world, but scary for Bruins fans nonetheless.

Philly has Burke, but not exactly loaded with playoff experience either.

Toronto has Belfour, and if he's healthy, I'd say he is probably second best in terms of carrying his team to Brodeur.

Jersey has Brodeur. There's your difference. He's still the best goalie out there, perhaps by a solid step or two, and even if other teams have bulked up beyond Jersey's capabilities, Jersey still has Brodeur. (And no, I'm not a NJ fan)

(I skipped Theodore, cause I'm a Habs fan, and while he may be #2 or #3 in terms of goalies in the East, heck, potentially #1 if he's at his best, I don't want to make any Habs predictions)

STH

PS. Still fun as heck to watch all the trades.

Old
03-04-2004, 10:33 AM
MeisterBruinmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN
Are Boston a serious contender? I just cant see them going past teams like Philly, To, NJ, Sens etc. Ahwell, best of luck to them!
Is this line up a serious contender to you?

Knuble-Thornton-Murray
Ssamsonov-Nylander-Bergeron
Axelsson-Rolston-Lapointe
Donato-Green-MacDonald/Zamuner
Depth: Hilbert, Grosek, Doull, McCarthy

Gonchar-O'Donnell
Gill-Boynton
McGillis-Slegr
Depth: Moran, Jillson

Raycroft-Potvin

Up front, the first line is among the best in the NHL; the second line has a dynamic player like Samsonov who's difficult to defend against coupled with an unflappable ROY candidate in Bergeron; and the third line is pretty good by NHL standards. Overall, there's depth, size, speed, scoring balance and a decent 4th line to boot. In back, the defense doesn't have a solid top-4, say along the lines of a healthy NJ, but it has certainly improved with Gonch. There's plenty of size and experience to take away the ice, but the mobility is only fair. Beyond that, the goaltending has been stellar and the team has good chemistry with no egos or divisive elements.

In the end, with Gonchar and Nylander, the gap has now closed between the Sens, Leafs, Flyers and Bruins.

Old
03-04-2004, 11:11 AM
MeisterBruinmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Season Ticket Holder
Raycroft has no experience - not necessarily the end of the world, but scary for Bruins fans nonetheless.
Actually, quite the opposite is true. Bruins fans, and the Brass, not only have been impressed by Raycroft, but they believe he has what it takes. This is why O'Connell made the trades. He is a 100% believer. If you were following the rise of Razor, you would be too. This is a Calder candidate who is technically sound, very unflappable, strong positionally and gifted with excellent reflexes. He doesn't let up the softie nor does he get rattled. Moreover, he was brought up slowly and has plenty of seasoning. Lastly, this is a guy who has been used to carrying his team both in the AHL and minors. So in all seriousness, there isn't much concern in Beantown about Raycroft not having experience.

Old
03-04-2004, 11:22 AM
Battleship

vCash:
Trade is for two picks

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2004Mar4.html

The article also mentions Carter being shopped. I'm not suprised, but I had heard they wanted him around. I tend to agree that 2.8 million is too much for him.

Old
03-04-2004, 12:30 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleship
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2004Mar4.html

The article also mentions Carter being shopped. I'm not suprised, but I had heard they wanted him around. I tend to agree that 2.8 million is too much for him.
I'd be looking for LA or San Jose wanting him. Islanders too possibly. I think Milbury might feel left out :p

Old
03-04-2004, 12:32 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
its up to raycroft
and belfour's back problems?

Old
03-04-2004, 12:52 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Originally Posted by wensink
Between Leafs, Ottawa, Philly, NJ and Boston, the East will be tough to beat this year.
Youre forgetting Tampa, the top team in the East right now.

Old
03-04-2004, 01:03 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't know about the rest of you, but I personally did not expect Nylander to go for this much. I would have predicted a third or fourth rounder, or maybe a AHL prospect. But, I guess this is just typical of the sort of frenzy that you sometimes see at deadline time. In any case, I think Boston has morgaged a lot of their future over the last few days, and that is a shame. Because, at the end of the day, that team is still very unlikely to make noise in the playoffs.

03-04-2004, 01:04 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
I'd be looking for LA or San Jose wanting him. Islanders too possibly. I think Milbury might feel left out :p
The Isles have little interest in acquiring wingers. I think they want a banger on defense.

Old
03-04-2004, 01:10 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBruinmaker
Is this line up a serious contender to you?

Knuble-Thornton-Murray
Ssamsonov-Nylander-Bergeron
Axelsson-Rolston-Lapointe
Donato-Green-MacDonald/Zamuner
Depth: Hilbert, Grosek, Doull, McCarthy

Gonchar-O'Donnell
Gill-Boynton
McGillis-Slegr
Depth: Moran, Jillson

Raycroft-Potvin

Up front, the first line is among the best in the NHL; the second line has a dynamic player like Samsonov who's difficult to defend against coupled with an unflappable ROY candidate in Bergeron; and the third line is pretty good by NHL standards. Overall, there's depth, size, speed, scoring balance and a decent 4th line to boot. In back, the defense doesn't have a solid top-4, say along the lines of a healthy NJ, but it has certainly improved with Gonch. There's plenty of size and experience to take away the ice, but the mobility is only fair. Beyond that, the goaltending has been stellar and the team has good chemistry with no egos or divisive elements.

In the end, with Gonchar and Nylander, the gap has now closed between the Sens, Leafs, Flyers and Bruins.

Good luck going up against the big centers in the east with a second line built around Samsanov (who is having a lousy season) and Nylander (who is soft). That lineup lacks grit up front, your number one goaltender is excellent but inexperienced, and the defense still has significant holes.

I think Boston is making a mistake bulking up for a cup run here, because they don't have much of a chance of making any real noise.

Old
03-04-2004, 01:15 PM
wensink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02
Youre forgetting Tampa, the top team in the East right now.
Absolutely!!! I forgot to include them. They are certainly going to be another tough team to beat.

Old
03-04-2004, 01:38 PM
wensink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Good luck going up against the big centers in the east with a second line built around Samsanov (who is having a lousy season) and Nylander (who is soft). That lineup lacks grit up front, your number one goaltender is excellent but inexperienced, and the defense still has significant holes.

I think Boston is making a mistake bulking up for a cup run here, because they don't have much of a chance of making any real noise.
That's just fine with me. Making noise doesn't mean winning the cup. I'd like to win 2 - 3 rounds. That would be a success to me. Besides, surprises can happen. I'm sure everyone picked the Ducks to go to the Cup last year....or Buffalo...or Washington...or Florida

Sure Raycroft is inexperienced but so was JS Giugiere. A rookie goalie has won the cup before so it's not exactly a groundbreaking concept.

I want everyone to underestimate the B's. I don't want anyone to expect anything from this team. Once that happens, we're toast.

:p

Old
03-04-2004, 01:43 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wensink
That's just fine with me. Making noise doesn't mean winning the cup. I'd like to win 2 - 3 rounds. That would be a success to me. Besides, surprises can happen. I'm sure everyone picked the Ducks to go to the Cup last year....or Buffalo...or Washington...or Florida

Sure Raycroft is inexperienced but so was JS Giugiere. A rookie goalie has won the cup before so it's not exactly a groundbreaking concept.

I want everyone to underestimate the B's. I don't want anyone to expect anything from this team. Once that happens, we're toast.

:p

Fair enough. I think that you are right that Raycroft is good enough to surprise a number of teams. And, the B's do have some very talented players. So, you are right that they very well could do a lot better than I am suggesting.

Old
03-04-2004, 01:46 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
I don't know about the rest of you, but I personally did not expect Nylander to go for this much. I would have predicted a third or fourth rounder, or maybe a AHL prospect. But, I guess this is just typical of the sort of frenzy that you sometimes see at deadline time. In any case, I think Boston has morgaged a lot of their future over the last few days, and that is a shame. Because, at the end of the day, that team is still very unlikely to make noise in the playoffs.

what future ?
The Bruins dealt from strength. the only strength we have had in years. That being young defensemen. The first rounder this year is in a soft draft. The Bruins still have a second from the Stumpel deal. And who cares right now about a 2nd in 2006.

Plus the fact that Harry himself finally approved spending and taking a shot.
Hell.. win or lose..that alone makes the season a good one for me .

oh..how's the Evil One treating you bud ?

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
03-04-2004, 01:48 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
If Raycroft keeps playing at his current level, the Bruins will definitely make some real noise. He's putting up Hasek-like numbers and this Bruins team has a lot more talent than that Sabres team that Hasek took to the finals. The Bruins have something like 11 pending UFA's on their roster. This will probably be their last chance to take any kind of a run for awhile.

Closed Thread