HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Broken Femur

Old
12-14-2008, 09:32 AM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
Broken Femur

Anybody here break their femur?

I broke mine back in February, and just found out this past week it's not healing...and will need additional surgery to replace the titanium rod and such.

I know it's a rare injury, and I don't know anybody else who has dealt with such a thing. Just curious to know if any of you guys (or girls) have been thru this.

Here's a pic...

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 10:41 AM
Heat McManus

vCash: 500
jesus christ man. that's brutal.

I broke mine when I was 14. First day of summer vacation! 6 weeks in the hospital, 6 in a body cast. The worst part was they did not have an orthopedic surgeon at the hospital and I had to wait 2 hours before he got there.

The hospital wouldn't give me any pain meds until he got there to see the x-rays. Meanwhile, they cranked the AC (being summer and all) which was making me shiver causing the shards of broken bone to cut into my muscle.

Having said that, I healed pretty well and haven't had problems with my femur since.

Best of luck on your recovery. Search online, there are message boards for knee and other injuries I found when I had my knee surgery a few years back.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 11:31 AM
Caseys Kisses

My heart goes out to you.

Caseys Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 12:37 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
jesus christ man. that's brutal.

I broke mine when I was 14. First day of summer vacation! 6 weeks in the hospital, 6 in a body cast. The worst part was they did not have an orthopedic surgeon at the hospital and I had to wait 2 hours before he got there.

The hospital wouldn't give me any pain meds until he got there to see the x-rays. Meanwhile, they cranked the AC (being summer and all) which was making me shiver causing the shards of broken bone to cut into my muscle.

Having said that, I healed pretty well and haven't had problems with my femur since.

Best of luck on your recovery. Search online, there are message boards for knee and other injuries I found when I had my knee surgery a few years back.

Yeah, it's pretty brutal. Sorry you had to deal with the same.

Did you have the metal implant as well?

I've read some online stuff, some good stories with happy endings...others with horror stories. Seems the rate I'm going...it's a horror story. Over 10 months now and I still really can't walk properly.

Thanks for the reply, cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseys Kisses View Post

My heart goes out to you.
Thanks babe!

Old
12-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
Yeah, it's pretty brutal. Sorry you had to deal with the same.

Did you have the metal implant as well?

I've read some online stuff, some good stories with happy endings...others with horror stories. Seems the rate I'm going...it's a horror story. Over 10 months now and I still really can't walk properly.

Thanks for the reply, cheers.
No metal implants. Sorry to hear that. Stay positive and try and keep all the muscles strong and tendons and ligaments loose. Those are mistakes i've made in the past, which i regret. My knees are pretty shot at 26 yrs old.

Old
12-15-2008, 08:29 AM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
No metal implants. Sorry to hear that. Stay positive and try and keep all the muscles strong and tendons and ligaments loose. Those are mistakes i've made in the past, which i regret. My knees are pretty shot at 26 yrs old.
Yeah, no doubt.

It's tough keeping the muscles active and strong when the bone is broken, but I'm doing what I can.

That's brutal. 26 years old and you're busted. At least I'm 30

Old
12-15-2008, 12:05 PM
TwistedWristah
Boston Strong

Hope you have a successful recovery, I can't imagine having to deal with that pain...that x-ray is painful even to look at lol.

TwistedWristah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 12:45 PM
czechmate25

Isn't the femur the strongest bone in the human body? How did that happen?

Sorry to hear the bad news, that is horrible.

czechmate25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Yeah, no doubt.

It's tough keeping the muscles active and strong when the bone is broken, but I'm doing what I can.

That's brutal. 26 years old and you're busted. At least I'm 30
lol. not completely busted, but getting there.

Is the bone still broken?

Old
12-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmate25 View Post
Isn't the femur the strongest bone in the human body? How did that happen?

Sorry to hear the bad news, that is horrible.
Yes, it most certainly is. 2000 lbs of force to break it.

I broke it playing hockey, on a play very similar to this...

Quote:
lol. not completely busted, but getting there.

Is the bone still broken?
Yes, it's not healing the way they like. I go for my next round of tests in the new year.

Old
12-15-2008, 05:01 PM
Analyzer

vCash: 50
I haven't broken my femur, but I broke the bone from your knee to your ankle. It sucked so damn much, man. I feel for you. You can't walk, you pretty much can't go out at all, you gain weight, which you have to burn off after and if you're like me and live in an old timey house, it's hard to keep clean with only a bath tub, but you get use to it, eventually.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 06:04 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Man that sucks, I hope you get better.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 07:10 AM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I haven't broken my femur, but I broke the bone from your knee to your ankle. It sucked so damn much, man. I feel for you. You can't walk, you pretty much can't go out at all, you gain weight, which you have to burn off after and if you're like me and live in an old timey house, it's hard to keep clean with only a bath tub, but you get use to it, eventually.
Tib or fib?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Man that sucks, I hope you get better.
Me too!

Thanks Gong, happy holidays.

Old
12-22-2008, 02:54 AM
Grind Line

Quote:

YOUCH!!!!!!!!!

Never broken a bone but i do hope all heals well.

Grind Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 10:46 AM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Steve View Post
YOUCH!!!!!!!!!

Never broken a bone but i do hope all heals well.
Thanks Steve.

Hope you keep your no broken streak going as well.

Old
01-20-2009, 06:53 PM
chaser915

femur

when I was 18 (back in 1982) I broke my femur along w/my knee cap. I hit a tree head-on with a snowmobile. I was in the hosp. for 30 days in traction before they could operate as I was alone at the time of the accident, it was cold and I was worried, so I got up and tried walking- which made the bone form an "x" where it snapped in half.

They ended up putting a long rod inside the bone, literally I'd say it was about 10 inches long. I seem to recall it being named a "schneider nail" or something close to that. One end was threaded and it stuck just above the hip joint, I believe.
And then a year later they cut a 2 inch incision in my lower back and when in with a special tool that latched onto the threaded end and removed the nail. I still have it someplace.

I remember this happened Feb 1st and I was still on crutches for my high school graduation..sometime in late June.

When the weather gets bad, sometimes, but not every time, it is very painful exactly where the bone mended together. The knee was the bigger problem than the femur. I was in phys therapy for about 18 months as I couldnt bend my knee. They wired that together but never removed the wire as it would cause too much damage.

The strangest thing when I first got off crutches was having to pretty much learn to walk again. Very strange. My surgeon suggested that my parents take me to florida right after surgery so I could get in a pool and walk around. You could walk in the water because you dont weigh anything...or something like that. Of course check with a surgeon prior to this.

I do remember the surgeon telling my parents that it took 2000 LBS of pressure to snap the femur where I did.

Hang in there.

chaser915 is offline   Reply With Quote