HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Can Vancouver sign Gaborik and Hossa this offseason

Old
12-15-2008, 05:49 AM
AlMo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Don't remember if it was Strachan or LeBrun on CBC, but it was said that Vancouver would try to trade for/sign Gaborik (friends with Demitra) and then go after Hossa this offseason.

That would mean they would let go of the Sedins. I guess this would make a lot of sense (even cap wise), and I would agree that Hossa is better then the Sedin's but Gaborik is just too injured to my liking.
So they sign Gaborik and Hossa to what will be monster deals. Let go of the Sedins and most likely Ohlund. I've got a couple of questions

Who the heck is going to play center for these wingers? Demitra? Kesler? The Nucks would have a serious hole at center.

Next question is Luongo and his contract status. If you throw 8+ million at Hossa and Gabby what will Luongo command? Considering that will be the year the salary cap is supposedly going down, the Nucks may handcuff themselves. They might have approx 25 million wrapped in 3 players.

I could definantly see them signing one of these guys and keeping the Sedins around, it makes more sense for the overall depth of their team.

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 10:17 AM
Passthedonuts

It's absurd to think that Minnesota is going to trade their franchise player to a division rival, and according to many fans, their most hated team.

If he does get to UFA status in July, Vancouver could make sense, otherwise not.

This is equivalent of trading Luongo to Edmonton.

Passthedonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 10:46 AM
adria

I don't want Gaborik in Vancouver. There's enough complaining about the 'injury prone' blue line, we don't need to hear more whining about an injured Gaborik. A guy who has the potential to score 40-50 goals is only good if he can stay healthy enough to play enough games to actually get close to that total.

Hossa, on the other hand, I'd take in a heartbeat.

adria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 10:50 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
That would then bed the question, do the Sedin's come as a package or for the first time will they be in different teams?

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 11:16 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
That would then bed the question, do the Sedin's come as a package or for the first time will they be in different teams?
they will go as a pkg... they've stated it many times... Barry's confirmed it as well... any new deal for them will be identical and will have a NTC - at least a limited one - where they are guaranteed to stick together.

they will not be playing on different teams. if that was going to happen it would have happened in their early years (at the draft both of them said they expected to be drafted by different teams and start their careers in different places)... but now with UFA leverage, they will finish the rest of their careers playing on the same team.

bet anything on it... I'm positive about this given all the comments we've heard from them and their agent.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 11:31 AM
reload2004

That would be insane. The best line in the league IMO.
Add in Luongo... jeez. Watch out Detroit!!

reload2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 11:54 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by reload2004 View Post
That would be insane. The best line in the league IMO.
Add in Luongo... jeez. Watch out Detroit!!
don't really understand why these guys are getting so overrated?

okay, I admit that Hossa is one of the best players in the league, and he could make a lot of lines "the best line in the league" ... but Gaborik is injury prone - having just 1 healthy season (77 games) in the past 5 yrs now. He's also not a PPG player in the NHL either - 415 pts in 487 games, although to be fair, he's been over a PPG in the past 3 season, but he's hardly a reliable superstar that will keep putting up numbers, especially when you consider how often he's out for.

and Demitra will never be a center on the best line in the league IMO... he's not even that good at center to begin with - and plays a lot better on the wings... but while certainly being a good player, he's hardly a superstar.

how is a line like that going to compete with Spezza/Heatley/Alfredsson - all 3 of them are star players, and more reliable (at least health wise) than either Demitra or Gaborik...

I'd also put that line behind Marleau-Thornton-Setoguichi... that line has been dominant.

Kunitz-Getzlaf-Perry is another dominant line... and I'd take them over this slovak line as well.

If the canucks actually sign both Hossa and Gaborik, I can see a whole lot of problems down the road... you're relying on a top line where 2/3rd of them are injury prone... you end up locking up so much cap space for that line that you end up having to neglect your other lines because of that.

and biggest problem of all, you put yourself in a very tough position 2 yrs down the road, with those guys locked up to mega deals, the possibility of the cap going down (which right now looks to be a given) and your franchise player, best dman, and top shutdown center all needing new contracts.

If I'm Gillis, I try to bring in Hossa, because he's a dynamite player and can carry a line on his own... but I stay far away from the injury-prone Gaborik who's already turned down a multiyear deal at $8mill/per and would be a huge risk at even $2-3mill below that!

best case scenario here would be for Gillis to sign Hossa... have Hossa-Demitra make up 2/3rd of one top 6 unit, while the Sedins take the other... that'd give the team the balance they need in the top 6 and wouldn't be relying on a couple of injury-prone players to carry a team that will lose depth because of how much it'd cost to have all those guys in the lineup.

Old
12-15-2008, 12:36 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Do people actually believe there is a team out there who is going to give Gaborik $7+ million over an extended contract? Maybe two years ago, but he's place himself squarely in the 'injury prone' category at this point with his hair-triggered groin. The only way I'd have any interest in Gaborik is at a substantial discount.

Hossa on the other hand, would be ideal for Vancouver.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 12:42 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by KP View Post
Marian Hossa ($7.45M) - Pavol Demitra ($4M) - Marian Gaborik ($7.5M)
Mason Raymond ($0.833M) - Kyle Wellwood ($1M) - Steve Bernier ($2.5M)
Alexandre Burrows ($1.5M) - Ryan Kesler ($1.75M) - Jannik Hansen ($0.75M)
Darcy Hordichuk ($0.75M) - Ryan Johnson ($1.1M) - Rick Rypien ($0.55)
Mike Brown ($0.522M)

Mattias Ohlund ($3.75M) - Sami Salo ($3.5M)
Willie Mitchell ($3.5M) - Kevin Bieksa ($3.75M)
Alex Edler ($3.25M) - Shane O'Brien ($1M)
Davison ($0.56M)

Luongo ($6.75M)
Sanford ($0.65M)

Total: $56,915,000

We may be in trouble though the year after though if the cap goes down.
Unrealistic...these guys are getting raises. You're about $2M off.

12-15-2008, 01:56 PM
CAPiTA

I think one of either Hossa or Gaborik is reasonable. Yeah, I know Gaborik is injury prone, but him and Demo showed chemistry in Minny and I think he would be a bit easier to attain than Hossa. Next on my list would be Bouwmeester. I think if we got Bouwmeester alone, our scoring would imporve due to his puck moving skills. Bouwmeester-Bieksa PP--> watch out.

CAPiTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 02:17 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
ok so what are u expecting...adding heatley/spezza/vermette for luongo? get reall ppl.

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Canucks5551

... What?

Canucks5551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 02:27 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Ya know, I'm actually going to need to see one of these teams make a major, elite signing before I buy into yet another breathless report from a Canadian media outlet about what a Canadian team is going to do in free agency.

Every year it's some Canadian team that's poised to sign the top free agents, and yet, somehow, they always end up with Jeff Finger.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 02:29 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatley15
ok so what are u expecting...adding heatley/spezza/vermette for luongo? get reall ppl.
no... what we're expecting is that Luongo doesn't go to Ottawa at all!

there is no deal in Ottawa that makes sense to give up Luongo... they obviously aren't going to overpay with a stupid offer, and the canucks should take nothing less.

what I'd personally "expect" is that a franchise player that is the key part of the club, has no problem here, and doesn't want to be traded, and basically on a team that is built around him - I'd expect that such a player does not get traded.

Luongo was never on the table, IMO... it's more likely that if he was ever mentioned in trade rumours it came from other markets that wanted him, not the canucks having any desire or thought of dealing him.

that, to me, makes a lot more sense than any possible trade that could have ever happened with Luongo.

Old
12-15-2008, 03:48 PM
AK

If they do, they won't be a better team for it.

Hossa's awesome, but they won't be able to resign the Sedins and Gaborik will spend most of the year on IR.

Hossa > Sedins
Sedins >>>> Injured Gaborik.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 05:04 PM
Avs9500

...ok this just doesn't make sense.

Avs9500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 05:42 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
LA will be happy to take the Sedin's off your hands.

Frolov - Kopitar - O'Sullivan

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Brown

Stoll - Handzus - Moller

Simmonds - Boyle - Purcell

Dustin Brown would give the twins lots of room to operate.
That's an incredibly scary line-up. The question is how could you afford to hold onto them all?

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 06:08 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
That's an incredibly scary line-up. The question is how could you afford to hold onto them all?
Probably...if we weren't wasting 8 mil a year on Handzus and Stoll.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 06:14 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
Probably...if we weren't wasting 8 mil a year on Handzus and Stoll.
Handzus and Stoll may be slightly overpaid, but given the defensive presence they bring and the added punch in the faceoff circle, I would hardly call the $7.6M combined cap hit a waste.

Combined they may be overpaid by about $1.5M, but so what.

The Kings could easily afford a $9M-$10M combined cap hit for the Sedin's and keep every player they have for at least the 2009-2010 season. After that Frolov might be in jeopardy of being moved, but even he would fit if the price was right.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote