HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Where does Florida Play? (more specific than the state of Florida)

Old
12-15-2008, 02:01 AM
Carnell

vCash: 500
Where does Florida Play? (more specific than the state of Florida)

So as someone who is interested in the geography of cities in the world i take a keaner interest in NHL cities, i always assumed that the Panthers played in Miami. When i looked it up and i noticed that they used to play in Miami (the miami arena), but now play in Sun Rise. It made sense too that the panthers would play in Sun Rise because in the USA (unlike Canada) it is fairly common to have a cities sports team arena or stadium in the suburbs, but when i looked up Sun Rise it was called a Suburb of Ft. Lauderdale (sorry if i misspelled the name). and Ft. Lauderdale looks like it has around 200,000 people while most NHL cities hover around 1,000,000 minimum.

So my question is how far is the arena from Miami, and if it is a considerable distance how many people in addition to those living in Ft. Lauderdale live within an hour driving distance from the arena?

Carnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 02:49 AM
Laus723
Future Now

It's in Sunrise, one word, which is basically western Ft. Lauderdale. Miami and the West Palm are anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes away. Don't have any idea how many people live in those regions, but there's likely over a million, and they have easy access to the arena. The arena itself is located on the edge of the Everglades.

12-15-2008, 03:11 AM
Carnell

cool thanks for the swift answer.

Old
12-15-2008, 06:29 AM
Madhatter73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
It's in Sunrise, one word, which is basically western Ft. Lauderdale. Miami and the West Palm are anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes away. Don't have any idea how many people live in those regions, but there's likely over a million, and they have easy access to the arena. The arena itself is located on the edge of the Everglades.
There are over 5 million people in the tri-county area.

And traffic SUCKS because of it...

Madhatter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 11:40 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter73 View Post

Thanks, I knew it was up there, didn't know it was that many. Was too tired to look it up. Appreciate the leg work.

Laus723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 01:55 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Traffic sucks over there, but if you live where I use to, which was in Tamarac, then it wasnt that bad. To get to the beach was a hassle, because i was as west as you can get, but it took me only 10 minutes to get to the BAC, and back home afterwards. The BAC itself is located just off the Sawgrass Expressway, so you access to it from any of the major highways. People complain about it being so far west, but I think its in a good spot.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 01:56 PM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter73 View Post

QFT
Especially on I-95.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Carnell

too bad about the traffic, does Miami and the surrounding area have a Metro?

Old
12-15-2008, 03:34 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

When you say metro, we and ask for They are suppose to re-do the whole metro, especially when they complete the Marlins new stadium, but its only for the downtown Miami area. As far as the Panthers arena (Bank Atlantic Center), it is off of the Sawgrass Expressway, and near 595, which is another highway. Its pretty accessable, the only issue is during the week, when 595 west is backed up for miles, and with game times at 7:30, you either have to leave real early, or you miss part of the 1st period.

Old
12-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Carnell

I took a look at the metro looks like yours is elevated, about half of Vancouver's metro is elavated too. I Can't beleive the train only comes every 20-30 mins after 6 pm!

Old
12-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Great8Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnell View Post
I took a look at the metro looks like yours is elevated, about half of Vancouver's metro is elavated too. I Can't beleive the train only comes every 20-30 mins after 6 pm!
Metro rail is only in Miami and it is the only elevated rail. The Tri Rail runs north and south and you have to take buses from there. It is a very poor system.

Great8Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 05:58 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great8Cam View Post
Metro rail is only in Miami and it is the only elevated rail. The Tri Rail runs north and south and you have to take buses from there. It is a very poor system.
and metro snail isn't?

city planning down there is a joke (i think it's more generally applicable, i.e., in sofla, but i'm talking specifically about miami). back when i lived there i remembered hearing stories from a good friend's girlfriend about good planners outside FL turning down jobs down there because of its reputation.

zeroG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 11:07 PM
RECsGuy*

had former panthers owner wayne huizenga and current miami heat owner mickey arison worked out their differences just over a decade ago, the cats would rightfully be playing at the american airlines arena in the state's most recognizeable city, and just a stone throw away from south beach. the entertainment that awaits panther fans before and after games today? sawgrass mills mall. a mall, which is almost entirely closed at game's end. no sort of public transportation to and feom the bank atlantic center. and I don't want to hear the safety concerns regarding downtown maimi, which is no worse than any other major city's downtown. the cats began in miami for very practical reasons (miami arena was already up) and left over a peni5 measuring contest two of the city's professional sports teams' owners. absolute shame.

RECsGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 11:13 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
Huizenga is a a *********. What would you have expected?

StrangeVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 03:17 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECsGuy View Post
had former panthers owner wayne huizenga and current miami heat owner mickey arison worked out their differences just over a decade ago, the cats would rightfully be playing at the american airlines arena in the state's most recognizeable city, and just a stone throw away from south beach. the entertainment that awaits panther fans before and after games today? sawgrass mills mall. a mall, which is almost entirely closed at game's end. no sort of public transportation to and feom the bank atlantic center. and I don't want to hear the safety concerns regarding downtown maimi, which is no worse than any other major city's downtown. the cats began in miami for very practical reasons (miami arena was already up) and left over a peni5 measuring contest two of the city's professional sports teams' owners. absolute shame.
Who cares. While the AA arena is very nice, especially the outside, to me it doesn't compare to the BAC. The BAC's beautiful and I love how it sits on the Everglades. If you look around a bit, there's plenty to do in the vacinity, you just apparently don't. Within 10 minutes there are plenty more places to eat and hang out than the Sawgrass. It's not that difficult to find something, in fact I was pretty surprised at how easy it was, just around the corner. However, of all the different Cat fans I've met, can't say I've met too many who were eager to go out clubbing after the game.

Old
12-16-2008, 12:53 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Who cares. While the AA arena is very nice, especially the outside, to me it doesn't compare to the BAC. The BAC's beautiful and I love how it sits on the Everglades. If you look around a bit, there's plenty to do in the vacinity, you just apparently don't. Within 10 minutes there are plenty more places to eat and hang out than the Sawgrass. It's not that difficult to find something, in fact I was pretty surprised at how easy it was, just around the corner. However, of all the different Cat fans I've met, can't say I've met too many who were eager to go out clubbing after the game.
i do, for one. having grown up going to the OB in the 70s and 80s and the arena in the 90s, having those places in the city was special for a lot of reasons.

i think it's terrible to throw these places up in the middle of nowhere. sure, if they start winning, people will go but that's beside the point - it's just a perpetuation of a pretty lousy (imo) culture down there where people get in their cars for everything and what *could* be a more social experience ends up being "get in the car, drive for 30 minutes, sit in traffic for 20 minutes, park, watch game... rinse repeat" exercise in isolation. you get some of that no matter where you are and perhaps the AA arena is no better now but at least there's the potential. in sunrise, you have *nothing*, imo. sawgrass? that's exciting? the same old strip malls every 5 miles? my folks live about 10 minutes from the BAC so i know the route. i don't see what folks do in the area on a nightly basis before and after the games but i can't imagine it being very exciting. for a little contrast, take boston - the arena's downtown and the area right around it is a bustling pocket of activity on game nights (many nights during the year). you have restaurants and pubs packed with people meeting for dinner or a drink before the game. same goes for after a game. fenway is the same deal. it's a completely different experience, a social experience. imo, it's *much* better. we didn't have that at the miami arena (not really at least) but there was at least the possibility of it.

idk, looking out at the everglades from the BAC doesn't really do it for me.

over

Old
12-16-2008, 01:30 PM
Pukboy5kroner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
i do, for one. having grown up going to the OB in the 70s and 80s and the arena in the 90s, having those places in the city was special for a lot of reasons.

i think it's terrible to throw these places up in the middle of nowhere. sure, if they start winning, people will go but that's beside the point - it's just a perpetuation of a pretty lousy (imo) culture down there where people get in their cars for everything and what *could* be a more social experience ends up being "get in the car, drive for 30 minutes, sit in traffic for 20 minutes, park, watch game... rinse repeat" exercise in isolation. you get some of that no matter where you are and perhaps the AA arena is no better now but at least there's the potential. in sunrise, you have *nothing*, imo. sawgrass? that's exciting? the same old strip malls every 5 miles? my folks live about 10 minutes from the BAC so i know the route. i don't see what folks do in the area on a nightly basis before and after the games but i can't imagine it being very exciting. for a little contrast, take boston - the arena's downtown and the area right around it is a bustling pocket of activity on game nights (many nights during the year). you have restaurants and pubs packed with people meeting for dinner or a drink before the game. same goes for after a game. fenway is the same deal. it's a completely different experience, a social experience. imo, it's *much* better. we didn't have that at the miami arena (not really at least) but there was at least the possibility of it.

over

Having to drive over from the West Coast it is a lot easier to go to Sawgrass than going into Miami or South Beach, so I like where the arena is at. I get your take though.

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:

over

OK, doesn't do it for you, many I know love the location and enjoy the sunsets over one of South Florida's main attractions. On top of that, I've never once heard a complaint about the location before I've heard one or two on here. Everyone I've talked to has literally stated they love it there. There are plenty of restaurants to go to beforehand and, as I've said, within 10 minutes we usually find a place to go to afterward. Main places such as Friday's and Chili's to smaller 'mom and pop' type places.

Guess that's just me never caring for the South Beach lifestyle, but I've been to the AA and the Arena, I love the BAC and it seems it's been a pretty popular spot for other events as well. Again, been to several of those...never heard a complaint. This is just news to me, but I guess that's why all cars aren't black.

Old
12-16-2008, 03:04 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukboy5kroner View Post
Having to drive over from the West Coast it is a lot easier to go to Sawgrass than going into Miami or South Beach, so I like where the arena is at. I get your take though.
Was going to post this myself.

Lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 03:09 PM
VirtualSpree

Aren't they planning on building some huge entertainment complex next to the BAC? Hopefully it will be more fun than Sawgrass.

VirtualSpree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 03:19 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

I never had issues with doing things after the game there. You have Quarterdecks, Chilis, Fridays, Ale House, Gatsbys, and a bunch of other places to go around and have a drink or three. True you have South Beach close to the AAA, but Bayside is pretty much the same thing as the restaurants I mentioned, just bunched together. As a Tamarac resident, at the time, I guess I am/was a little biased as to where the arena was.

Old
12-16-2008, 03:44 PM
zeroG

Quote:
OK, doesn't do it for you, many I know love the location and enjoy the sunsets over one of South Florida's main attractions. On top of that, I've never once heard a complaint about the location before I've heard one or two on here. Everyone I've talked to has literally stated they love it there. There are plenty of restaurants to go to beforehand and, as I've said, within 10 minutes we usually find a place to go to afterward. Main places such as Friday's and Chili's to smaller 'mom and pop' type places.

Guess that's just me never caring for the South Beach lifestyle, but I've been to the AA and the Arena, I love the BAC and it seems it's been a pretty popular spot for other events as well. Again, been to several of those...never heard a complaint. This is just news to me, but I guess that's why all cars aren't black.
i'm not really talking about the south beach lifestyle; that's not me necessarily either. i'm talking about something other than the suburban sprawl, strip mall, chain restaurant lifestyle. the places around the garden and fenway are all fairly unique meeting places - cask n' flagon, the fours, etc. it's all set to the backdrop of the city skyline. there's an energy there that's missing for me at the BAC and dolphin stadium. but the biggest problem, imo, is that everything you do, whether it's getting there, grabbing a bite or a drink before or after, etc. involves a car. that just sucks, imo.

Old
12-16-2008, 05:41 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Living in Palm Beach County, I would much rather have the arena where it is now. All highway and no real traffic to speak of.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 06:19 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Living in Palm Beach County, I would much rather have the arena where it is now. All highway and no real traffic to speak of.
iow, all driving out of the house, into the car, out of the car, into the arena, out of the ...

Old
12-16-2008, 07:36 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
iow, all driving out of the house, into the car, out of the car, into the arena, out of the ...

But, that's Florida, though. The entire state relies heavily on private transportation and under-utilizes mass transit.

Even back when the Cats played at the Miami Arena, people preferred to drive than take the MetroRail. It was a substandard transit system then, and I have no idea what it's like now, but I'm sure it isn't anywhere near as convenient as what you find in cities like NYC and Boston.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote