HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

How many Habs prospects in this year's World Juniors?

Old
12-15-2008, 10:05 AM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
How many Habs prospects in this year's World Juniors?

Subban
Kristo
McDonnough

Anyone else?

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 10:06 AM
HomaridII

vCash: 500
Subban makes World Jr Team

http://tsn.ca/world_jrs/story/?id=25...=topStory_main

Subban has helped the Belleville Bulls' to the top of the OHL's Eastern Conference. The 19-year-old has put together impressive offensive numbers this season. He has played in 29 games for the Bulls and has 37 points (4 goals, 33 assists) with a plus-27 rating. He was drafted by the Montreal Canadiens in the 2nd round (43rd overall) of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 10:08 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Torp.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 10:08 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
No surprise, can't wait until he is in the AHL and then NHL to see what he can do.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 10:11 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Can't wait to see how he'll be able to sustain the pressure defensively against the best in his age group. Great to see that they think enough of him to give him an "A" though he's one of the few returnees from last year.

Still I think that his personnality makes the guy a real important asset for this team, trying to keep the guys smiling and having fun. 'Cause that team is certainly the less impressive from the past years and should have a lot of adversity. I'm expecting a big tournament from the US, Swedes and Russians.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 10:14 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Can't wait to see how he'll be able to sustain the pressure defensively against the best in his age group. Great to see that they think enough of him to give him an "A" though he's one of the few returnees from last year.

Still I think that his personnality makes the guy a real important asset for this team, trying to keep the guys smiling and having fun. 'Cause that team is certainly the less impressive from the past years and should have a lot of adversity. I'm expecting a big tournament from the US, Swedes and Russians.
I can't wait either to see how he handles having the A and the pressure of being a leader in what will be a very tough tournament for Canada.

I actually think Subban will be one of the standouts of the tournament.

Old
12-15-2008, 10:19 AM
kostitsyn1489

Did the US team annonce their captaincy yet?

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 10:20 AM
gillyguzzler

I have seen Subban play many times and he has improved tremendously over the past three years. He should play one year in Hamilton and then be ready for the Habs in two years.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 10:23 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
I have seen Subban play many times and he has improved tremendously over the past three years. He should play one year in Hamilton and then be ready for the Habs in two years.
Thats is what I am hoping for.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 10:25 AM
number 11

wow subban has very impressive numbers in the ohl right now

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 10:28 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I wonder how having Ellis on the team will affect Subban time on the PP. Clearly Ellis is there FOR the powerplay. 8 d-men is a lot of bodies to handle. Goloubef there might be surprising but he was one of my choices for a possible pick in his draft year. Still, I expect him to be #7 and Ellis #8.

Old
12-15-2008, 10:28 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by number9 View Post
wow subban has very impressive numbers in the ohl right now
He is 12th in the league in scoring having played less games than most of the guys above him and he leads the league in assists.

Old
12-15-2008, 10:29 AM
shamrun

I was hoping to see trunev on the russian team. Ill be following the matches this year to see our prospects playing.

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 10:33 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrun View Post
I was hoping to see trunev on the russian team. Ill be following the matches this year to see our prospects playing.
My conspiracy theory suggest that his KHL team did what they could so he wouldn't be chosen.....not playing him.....sending him back in Juniors, calling him back and playing him from time to time...

Then, all of a sudden, when the Russian team is chosen or when it might be too late to have last opinions on players, he starts playing in the KHL and never misses a game...

But it's just a conspiracy theory....

Old
12-15-2008, 10:50 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
Subban
Kristo
McDonnough

Anyone else?
Team Canada- PK Subban (43rd overall '07)
Team USA- Ryan McDonagh (12th overall '07)
Team USA- Danny Kristo (56th overall '08)
Team Sweden- Nichlas Torp (163rd overall '07)

WJ's Div 1B
Team Swiss- Robert Mayer (n/a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrun View Post
I was a little surprised he didn't make the team, since he's been getting some time in the KHL, but he should stand a good chance of playing on next years team I'm guessing.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 10:54 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
That feels optimistic to me... I think Subban will take at least a year longer "finding himself" as a pro. He's not going to get by on skill and daring alone, and sooner or later he'll probably have to sort that out. I do agree he's getting better. But he's still a riverboat gambler by NHL standards, and I don't think he'll grow out of it quickly... or that he's quite good enough at it to survive with that as his niche in the NHL. But who knows. Needless to say, I'm rooting for him to make it ASAP anyway.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 11:00 AM
sevil

This is going to be an awesome tourney .. got vip passes for the who thing..I will keep updates when possible!...

sevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 11:02 AM
Pascal

what's the read on Thorp? Is he going to be one of those surprising/late-blooming swedes?

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 11:03 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

How bout my boy cormier!! I knew this kid was going to be a players! Been pimping him since last year!

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 11:08 AM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
That feels optimistic to me... I think Subban will take at least a year longer "finding himself" as a pro. He's not going to get by on skill and daring alone, and sooner or later he'll probably have to sort that out. I do agree he's getting better. But he's still a riverboat gambler by NHL standards, and I don't think he'll grow out of it quickly... or that he's quite good enough at it to survive with that as his niche in the NHL. But who knows. Needless to say, I'm rooting for him to make it ASAP anyway.
Then you have not seen him play much this year as he's not the riverboat gambler, even by NHL standards, that he was a few years back. Yes he played like a rover early in his OHL career but is becoming a much more complete defenseman, even playing SH at times. He will never be a shutdown D la Hamrlik but he can easily be the puckmoving defenseman that most NHL teams crave.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 11:13 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Then you have not seen him play much this year as he's not the riverboat gambler, even by NHL standards, that he was a few years back. Yes he played like a rover early in his OHL career but is becoming a much more complete defenseman, even playing SH at times. He will never be a shutdown D la Hamrlik but he can easily be the puckmoving defenseman that most NHL teams crave.
you know who else is also a riverboat gambler? Mike Green. I think Subban has the chance to become a slightly less talented version of him perhaps?

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 11:24 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
How bout my boy cormier!! I knew this kid was going to be a players! Been pimping him since last year!
Same here. He was definately on my list. We'll never know if he would not have been picked by the Devs, if he would have been Habs property. I Love how this kid is doing what's necessary to make it. I've never seen him as that aggressive but seems that he's becoming that right now.

Old
12-15-2008, 11:26 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
You know, you look 2 years down the line and it may not come down to Subban's play.

Of the current defencemen:

Gorges
Komisarek
Markov

may still be around. O'byrne may improve so that may be 4.

Then you look down the list and we have:

McDonagh
Weber (1 year of pro ahead of P.K.)
Carle (2 years of pro ahead of P.K.)
Yemelin (may be here next year)
Valentenko (1 year of pro ahead of P.K.)
Belle (a couple of years of pro)
Fischer

That's another 5 that are ahead of P.K. battling for 3 spots in the big show.

What if Gainey picks up a 4th defencemen for the playoffs? It may be safe to say that P.K. is 3-4 years away from a regular spot on the Habs.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 11:29 AM
sevil

Valentenko is done! if yemelin comes over he is top 4 instantly. I would say its 60-70% that he comes! Valentenko i would say is 30% we ever see him again.. he is in the same mind thought as perezhogin!

sevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
I will be surprised if you can tell me you've seen him more than I have this year, but so be it, maybe you can. I know chaosrevolver can say that, maybe you can too. I've even posted something like the sentences you just did, in different contexts. But the bottom line is that his *edge*, what separates him from the pack, comes when he's pressing the play and taking the chances. Yes, he has improved and he's not a total rover like he was in his draft year. Yes, he stands his ground, thinks twice about when to go and when not to, and has definitely come a long way. But he had a long way to come from. And I think the process will continue for more than 1 year in the AHL. He's a tough one to predict, because you don't want to stifle his strengths, his exuberance, but you don't see players succeeding too much on those strengths in the NHL.

And I totally agree with what onice says too, even if PK showed himself "ready" after 1 year in the AHL, he might find himself behind a pretty lengthy line of players who are already pencilled into the lineup. I will say that I'll be more surprised if he plays just 1 year in the AHL than if he plays 3 years there.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote