HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Repik, Matthias re-assigned; Horton, Zednik, Booth activated

Old
12-15-2008, 06:31 PM
Laus723
Future Now

vCash: 500
Repik, Matthias re-assigned; Horton, Zednik, Booth activated

http://panthers.nhl.com/team/app/?se...ticleid=398271

Thursday should be interesting. Hopefully the energy and the way the team has come together continues.

*Welch is returning as well. Guess he'll keep riding the pine, but I haven't seen how Ballard's been after blocking that shot. Anyone know? I couldn't watch the end of last night's loss.

Last edited by Laus723: 12-15-2008 at 06:40 PM.
Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 06:51 PM
Georgia Panther

Ballard returned and finished the game. That they activated four and only sent down two makes me wonder about Weiss's status.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 06:55 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Ballard returned and finished the game. That they activated four and only sent down two makes me wonder about Weiss's status.
i'm not feeling good about that right now. i think i remember the play (or a play) where he took a pretty good lick on the boards. he seemed to take it in stride but i remember thinking "OW!" at the time.

the fact he went for Xrays is a sign he was really hurting. i'm not too optimistic about thursday

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 07:00 PM
Georgia Panther

Let's not read too much into it. The x-rays were negative and even with Weiss and Olesz active, the Cats still would have only 23 on the active roster so they don't have to send anybody down to make room for Weiss and Olesz.

Old
12-15-2008, 07:13 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Hopefully we can get Weiss back soon, and finally see this team perform at full strength. As long as the guys returning play like the team has the past few weeks, its going to be a lot of fun from now until the end of the season.

What I expect the lines to be:

Booth - Weiss - Frolik
Stillman - Kreps - Horton
CPR Line
Olesz - McLean - Zednik/Stewy/Tanner

I just hope this team can continue to play the way they have because something inside of me is saying that Bouwmeester resigning isnt a dead issue. And no, its not the Greek food thats bothering me, I just have a feeling. Well, at least hope!

And man has Christmas come early. Getting these guys back is like Martin going out and making a trade. We have been pretty good offensively with our top scorers out, so hopefully this is the extra kick we need to make our first January run now.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 07:19 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Tanner's already been re-assigned, and I don't think tewart should sit by any means. I'd sit McLean first.

Last edited by Laus723: 12-15-2008 at 07:39 PM. Reason: my spelling skills have been off
Old
12-15-2008, 07:28 PM
jal2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Tanner's already been re-assigned, and I don't think tewart should sit by any means. I'd it McLean first.
Agreed. In fact, I'd actually like to see Olesz center a line (wasn't he was drafted as a center?), even if it is just the fourth one. Who knows, maybe he would feel more comfortable there, and could start putting up some numbers ...

jal2155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 07:54 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Tanner's already been re-assigned, and I don't think tewart should sit by any means. I'd sit McLean first.
Sorry i wasnt more clear, I meant Tanarsky.

Old
12-15-2008, 07:59 PM
Two4Fighting

The idea of having Weiss out for a couple of games doesn't sit well...the team does not look good without him.

Why the silence about Weiss condition?

Two4Fighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 08:01 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two4Fighting View Post
The idea of having Weiss out for a couple of games doesn't sit well...the team does not look good without him.

There isnt any silence, it hasnt even been a day yet. Im sure we will hear something about it by tomorrow at the latest.

Old
12-15-2008, 08:40 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Sorry i wasnt more clear, I meant Tanarsky.
I don't see the need to sit Nasty, either. He's done his job well. Again, Olesz and McLean should sit beforehand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two4Fighting View Post

They may not know the extent of the injury yet is all.

Old
12-15-2008, 09:26 PM
Panthers Rock
Oh...Yeah ;)

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Well Weiss being hurt really sucks, he is the heart of the team.

However, I can't be upset with 3 forwards returning. The biggest of which is of course Booth, after we already have Stillman back. Will Horton and Zednik contribute? Guess we'll find out won't we.

I agree, if anyone should sit it should be McLean. His lack of contribution hurts. How he can have a harder time scoring than Peltonen, Dvorak, or Campbell is mind boggling. He has no excuse at this point.

In general though, these have been some of the best callups in YEARS, without a doubt.

Florida Panthers: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Lottery...Winners?
Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 09:37 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

At this point I wouldn't sit Olesz only because he has been sitting (out with his injury). Give him a couple of games to see if he can mesh as well. The team has been playing well without a lot of these guys and if i'm PDB, I make the "stars" earn their icetime same way the kids have been.

Mac has been downright lousy. He's one I would give a few games in the pressbox to think about his game.

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 10:14 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Losing Weiss is going to be worse for this team than losing Stillman, Horton, Booth and Zednik.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 10:50 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther View Post
At this point I wouldn't sit Olesz only because he has been sitting (out with his injury). Give him a couple of games to see if he can mesh as well. The team has been playing well without a lot of these guys and if i'm PDB, I make the "stars" earn their icetime same way the kids have been.

Mac has been downright lousy. He's one I would give a few games in the pressbox to think about his game.
well, he's been working hard. i think that's the reason PDB keeps putting him out there. it's just not coming easy for him this year. if a guys working hard, sitting is not the right message. you let him work through. now if he keeps working all year long and can't generate anything, then maybe he shouldn't be on the roster. but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it

in general though, i think the injuries are a blessing in that it enables the team to hold guys out, as you said, to let them get back into the flow and slip back in when somebody starts struggling. i don't think we have that much wiggle room unfortunately though. something's gonna have to give (i.e., trade) unless weiss is on the shelf for a bit, which would be suboptimal.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 01:11 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
If Weiss is out for any extended period, that could mean very bad things for this team. He's absolutely critical to the Panthers' success. It's good to hear Horton and Zednik are good to go, though I thought Repik did pretty well for himself with the call.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 07:38 AM
Georgia Panther

This team is desperate in need of a scoring line center and has been since the Jokinen trade. Weiss is the only one on the roster and he has really stepped up once healthy but you need more than one and when he is out the Cats have none which is simply unacceptable. The Horton experiment failed miserably which i assume was JM's Plan A to solve that problem and it's way past time for him to come up with a Plan B. His desire to grow the kids and notorious patience before taking action isn't helping a team with a real chance to make the Playoffs this season.

Old
12-16-2008, 09:30 AM
Heimy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
This team is desperate in need of a scoring line center and has been since the Jokinen trade. Weiss is the only one on the roster and he has really stepped up once healthy but you need more than one and when he is out the Cats have none which is simply unacceptable. The Horton experiment failed miserably which i assume was JM's Plan A to solve that problem and it's way past time for him to come up with a Plan B. His desire to grow the kids and notorious patience before taking action isn't helping a team with a real chance to make the Playoffs this season.
Just thinking out loud and not to stray too far off topic but wrt a Plan B, if any of this Sundin to the NYR stuff is true, the Rags will need to make both roster and cap room for him. Gomez (among others) has a steep contract but he's likely to be available and at an intriguing price with the proper incentives included.

Heimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 09:44 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimy View Post
Just thinking out loud and not to stray too far off topic but wrt a Plan B, if any of this Sundin to the NYR stuff is true, the Rags will need to make both roster and cap room for him. Gomez (among others) has a steep contract but he's likely to be available and at an intriguing price with the proper incentives included.
Gomez has a Cap Hit of $7,357,143 and the Cats have Cap Space of $2,044,167 which means the Panthers would have to send back $5.3 mil in contracts back to NY in a Gomez trade which would sort of defeat the purpose of creating Cap Space for NY to sign Sundin. NY is much more likely to get rid of two or three smaller contracts like Prucha's by either/or trading them and assigning them to the AHL after waivering them.

Old
12-16-2008, 09:50 AM
Heimy

I thought we had a bit more room to maneuver...didn't realize we were that close to the cap. So as Emily Latella would say, nevermind.

Heimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 10:39 AM
Biggzy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimy View Post
I'd love to have Gomez here, its just too bad the Rangers are retarded and gave him an awful contract.

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post
I'd love to have Gomez here, its just too bad the Rangers are retarded and gave him an awful contract.
My thoughts exactly! Let them suffer with the stupid contracts they signed.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther
What's to assume GP? That was plan A, it didn't work, partly, imo, due to Horton himself. His lazy attitiude doesn't help anything. Of course, I don't know that I heard DeBoer's idea on what he expected from Horton...this is his team.

To me, this is just another attempt to knock Martin, and it's kindof weak. While we need help, the "growing kids" part of your post didn't seem to take into account how well we've played WITH "the kids." This is also another etup for you to tell us how Vokoun need to go for Spezza. You're predictable my man, terribly predictable.

Old
12-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
My thoughts exactly! Let them suffer with the stupid contracts they signed.
Mine too, he's still a ppg guy, but his 7.whatever cap hit is atrocious. I hope noone rescues them from any of their obnoxious contracts.

Old
12-16-2008, 11:07 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Gomez's contract is:
$8 million this year
$8 million next year and the year after
$7.5 million the year after that
$5.5 million in the final year

NO THANK YOU!

We either need to make a big deal and try to get someone like Spezza out of Ottawa, a smaller deal like Vermette, or just wait in the offseason and sign someone like McDonald, Franzen, Cammarelli, Comrie, etc., in the offseason.