HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sundin Signs with Canucks (Official)!

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2008, 08:36 PM
SedinFan*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Ya, Naslund's a big *****.

Old
12-16-2008, 08:38 PM
Peter Griffin

LOL, watch Sundin pull a Gretzky and sign with the Rangers because Gillis went ahead and stated that he would make a decision by Thursday and not that Thursday is the earliest.

Old
12-16-2008, 08:39 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurtsDonut View Post
vancouver sun
Why is this the least surprising news I've gotten all day?

Old
12-16-2008, 08:41 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Why is this the least surprising news I've gotten all day?
And why does it still get me every time? I really thought Thursday was the day. I now understand why battered wives stay with their husbands.

Old
12-16-2008, 08:46 PM
timorousme
luongod

vCash: 50
the talk lately has been sundin joining a team after christmas, and friday is the roster freeze, so.....

i gotta say that if this week passes and there's no activity, it's probably because sundin chose NY and is waiting for them to clear cap space (i still don't get why sundin would choose a team that would be shedding talent to get him if he wants to be on a contending team)

Old
12-16-2008, 08:53 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

I dunno, at this point I think it might be good to miss Sundin and pick up whoever the Rangers have to drop to make the cap.

Old
12-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastvanmungo View Post
I dunno, at this point I think it might be good to miss Sundin and pick up whoever the Rangers have to drop to make the cap.
As I said before, I wouldn't mind Gomez--even at his salary. Only 28 years old, 2 Stanley Cup rings so he has a winning resume, locked up long term, has averaged almost a point per game in the playoffs in recent years...would be a deadly addition to our top six. And we could probably get him for well below market value if the Rags are in salary dump mode. And really, I ask again, what alternatives are out there as far as top line centers go?

~Canucklehead~

Old
12-16-2008, 09:05 PM
Canucksrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
As I said before, I wouldn't mind Gomez--even at his salary. Only 28 years old, 2 Stanley Cup rings so he has a winning resume, locked up long term, has averaged almost a point per game in the playoffs in recent years...would be a deadly addition to our top six. And we could probably get him for well below market value if the Rags are in salary dump mode. And really, I ask again, what alternatives are out there as far as top line centers go?

~Canucklehead~
It just does not make sense economically to saddle yourself with that type of contract. Especially with the cap going down. I think it would be better to see if wellwood/hodgson can pull it out then a take on that huge/lengthy salary. Gomez is somebody that can stay far far away far as I am concerned.

Old
12-16-2008, 09:07 PM
Jyrki21
I want tangibles!

Honestly, J.P. Barry's reply sounded like self-satire. It was exactly the type of thing guys post on here as a joke... "Mats won't confirm whether he got out of bed this morning, but that doesn't mean he's denying it, etc."

Old
12-16-2008, 09:09 PM
MKennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDayAsALion View Post
I personally don't think Sundin is the Jesus Christ everyone is making him out to be and I hope we only sign him for one year. However, I'd like him on this team. With that said the only thing I'm really feeling after reading all the posts in this thread is that Markus Naslund is a little ****** and I regret being a fan of his.
Mats will not sign anything longer than a 1yr contract. I think that's a gurantee, or at least it sounds like it from everything I've read. I think it's a good thing though, I want Sundin just as much as the next guy but anything longer than this year at $10 million is to much imho.

I want this team to see if they could honestly make a serious run at Hossa and Jay BO if they make it to free agency, and for them to do it, we need that $10 mil and more to go after those guys.

edit: Id let Ohlund walk, and try and re-sign the sedins for $5-$5.5 to hopefully play on a 2nd line behind Hossa and Demitra.

Old
12-16-2008, 09:13 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucksrock View Post
It just does not make sense economically to saddle yourself with that type of contract. Especially with the cap going down. I think it would be better to see if wellwood/hodgson can pull it out then a take on that huge/lengthy salary. Gomez is somebody that can stay far far away far as I am concerned.
It makes sense only if Gillis has no intention whatsoever of re-signing the Sedins. Gomez' style of play fits what Gillis wants better IMO. He's fast, smart offensively, can be gritty and is a proven winner. His biggest downside is his contract obviously, but if you're paying 10 cents on the dollar it could be somewhat overlooked.

It wouldn't be surprising for me in the least if Gillis did make a move for Gomez and then targeted one of Gaborik/Hossa, or maybe even both, in the off-season. Although for both to come here they would have to take serious paycuts, but who knows, with the season Gaborik has had perhaps he's in line for taking a cheaper one year deal in hopes of having a HUGE season?

Old
12-16-2008, 10:05 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
It makes sense only if Gillis has no intention whatsoever of re-signing the Sedins. Gomez' style of play fits what Gillis wants better IMO. He's fast, smart offensively, can be gritty and is a proven winner. His biggest downside is his contract obviously, but if you're paying 10 cents on the dollar it could be somewhat overlooked.

It wouldn't be surprising for me in the least if Gillis did make a move for Gomez and then targeted one of Gaborik/Hossa, or maybe even both, in the off-season. Although for both to come here they would have to take serious paycuts, but who knows, with the season Gaborik has had perhaps he's in line for taking a cheaper one year deal in hopes of having a HUGE season?
Now that's an interesting scenario.

Old
12-16-2008, 10:14 PM
pdefenestrator

Not sure if anybody posted this yet:

Quote:
Quote:
Sportsnet has learned that New York's offer is less than half the deal the Canucks have tabled, which would leave Sundin well below fair market value. The Rangers are trying to avoid dismantling the team to make room for Sundin. That way, the Rangers would not be forced to trade some of their high-priced talent like Michal Rozsival, Wade Redden, Scott Gomez or Chris Drury. Otherwise, New York would have to free up US$2.8 million, as some reports suggest, to sign Sundin for the second half of the season.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/...llis_thursday/

Will be pretty disappointing if he is willing to play at a discount for the Rangers instead of playing for way above value in Vancouver.

Old
12-16-2008, 10:17 PM
gobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
Christ, couldn't we have sent him some that were in good condition?
That really cracked me up...hahaha

Old
12-16-2008, 10:21 PM
*Injektilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdefenestrator View Post
Will be pretty disappointing if he is willing to play at a discount for the Rangers instead of playing for way above value in Vancouver.
Dude, the disappointment occurred months ago. If he really wanted to play here, he would have signed already. But no, the only reason why the Canucks are in the picture is because of the crazy money Gillis is willing to offer.

Here are the possible endgames:

1. Signs with the Rangers, which is clearly the team he really wants to play for. Watch him work hard and try to get on a cup run, being the Sundin of old.

2. He signs here, only because he doesn't feel like his career is over yet. Watch him go through the motions and float around collecting paycheques.

3. He decides to retire. Who cares.

There's not a single scenario here that I find appealing.

Old
12-16-2008, 10:33 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Injektilo View Post
Dude, the disappointment occurred months ago. If he really wanted to play here, he would have signed already. But no, the only reason why the Canucks are in the picture is because of the crazy money Gillis is willing to offer.

1. Signs with the Rangers, which is clearly the team he really wants to play for. Watch him work hard and try to get on a cup run, being the Sundin of old.

2. He signs here, only because he doesn't feel like his career is over yet. Watch him go through the motions and float around collecting paycheques.

In absolutely no way do those comprise a comprehensive set of "endgames".

Old
12-16-2008, 10:40 PM
Rover*

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Injektilo View Post

I have no fear of sundin dogging it just cause we're not his first choice. Got zero problems with being sundin's team by default, cause I expect him to play just as hard as he would with the rangers. To think otherwise is pretty dumb.

Old
12-16-2008, 10:50 PM
pitseleh

Quote:

Let's just hope that Barry has some influence over the decision and convinces Sundin to sign the bigger contract so that he can collect a bigger fee.

The less than half of Vancouver's offer thing is about exactly what people were predicting (between $4-4.5 million pro-rated) after they waive Kalinin and Prucha.

Old
12-16-2008, 10:52 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:

Looks like the Rangers aren't willing to clear a big contract.

He's gonna be a Canuck. No way he signs for $4.5 mil.

This is huge...I really think this news ices it.

Old
12-16-2008, 10:53 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
Looks like the Rangers aren't willing to clear a big contract.

He's gonna be a Canuck. No way he signs for $4.5 mil.

This is huge...I really think this news ices it.
I might curb my enthusiasm if I were you. Just a thought.

Old
12-16-2008, 10:59 PM
CCF23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
I might curb my enthusiasm if I were you. Just a thought.
I know...We're cursed. I just don't see him signing with New York for half the money we're offering him. Maybe if NY was a far superior team to us, but they aren't.

We'll see what happens, but I'm VERY confident from the tone of Gillis in his interview today, the fact that Gillis and Barry met twice in the last 2 days, and because of this news that the Rangers do not look prepared to deal away a big contract they'd need to to offer him a competitive salary.

Old
12-16-2008, 10:59 PM
CanucksOo

This may have been discussed before (what am i thinking, this was discussed before), but can his contract include bonuses which count towards next season's cap?

Old
12-16-2008, 11:01 PM
Timmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksOo View Post
This may have been discussed before (what am i thinking, this was discussed before), but can his contract include bonuses which count towards next season's cap?

Nein.

Old
12-16-2008, 11:01 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksOo View Post
Nope. In the past you could give an over 35 player bonuses that could be counted against the next season's cap if they put you over the cap this season, but that clause isn't in effect this season because the NHLPA has the option to re-open the CBA this season.

Old
12-16-2008, 11:03 PM
CCF23

So am I the only one that thinks the news of the NY offer is a huge point in our favour?

Closed Thread