HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Depth, Can/Will Gainey Unload?

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2004, 11:45 AM
Shazbot

vCash: 500
Habs Depth, Can/Will Gainey Unload?

With the Habs' recent acquisitions at the forward position and particularly at center, does this mean that Bob Gainey will finally release currently unpopular, middling forwards like Yanic Perreault and Joé Juneau? With the playoffs looming, can he afford to?

Two things:

First, people have been complaining that giving up a 4th rounder for Jim Dowd was a steep price to pay for an aging 4th-3rd line guy with a tender groin . I agree. But you have to think that, if Gainey is going to unload either Perreault or Juneau or both, he's not going to get much better than 3rd to 5th round draft picks in return. So, if Gainey wants to play the merry-go-round game, the picks will be coming right back anyway.

Second, with the playoffs around the corner, putting yourself in Gainey's shoes, would you shed some of your depth (i.e., Perreault or Juneau), taking the chance that your top forwards will remain healthy? If Koivu or Ribeiro goes down, who will pick up the slack? Bégin? Dowd? Kilger? Plekanec? Higgins? I wouldn't be so quick to trade Perreault just now, unless the price is really right. Both Perreault and Juneau will be UFAs at the end of the year (please correct me if I'm wrong) so they would be playoff rentals for another team anyway. Why not rent them ourselves? It may just make more sense to keep them. They may be needed - and badly.

With all our guys healthy, I suppose Gainey's idea is a playoff top-12 like this:

Zednik, Koivu, Kovalev
Dagenais, Ribeiro, Ryder
Bulis, Bégin, Sundstrom
Langdon, Dowd, Ward

Maybe Dagenais sits in place of Juneau or Dackell and Bulis jumps to the second line, what do I know?

Anyway, now that looks like a playoff line-up. Potentially, it leaves Perreault, Juneau, Dackell, and Kilger in the pressbox. Three out of the four don't really belong in the stands and they won't be happy about it. But if the Canadiens organization can afford it (and I'm talking money now), I would keep them in Montreal just in case of emergency.

...Unless even better options arise (another great trade?)....

More to the point, what are the chances that everyone in that "top 12" will be healthy at the same time?

Last edited by Shazbot: 03-04-2004 at 11:49 AM.
Old
03-04-2004, 11:52 AM
KingJarl

Just A Thought

Well, if Molson Man is right... and another big trade is coming, I imagine this time we'll have to give up some roster players to make it happen. Trade roster player for roster player, and we still end up with a few extra depth players.
Say for instance (this is just an example) we traded Perreault and Hainsey for Oneill. Jeff'd take Dags place, I imagine... and we still have tonnes of depth going into the playoffs. Not only can we afford to make another big trade with roster players involved, I think we can't afford not to. If ya know what I mean.
lol

pEAce :dazzle:

Old
03-04-2004, 11:59 AM
romain_jaime

Well, I think BG went and got Dowd for the playoff grind and Dowd WILL be in the lineup every night. This being said, we have extra players left over.

Perrault will NOT be traded as he has a no trade clause and has expressed his desire to end his career in Montreal. Also, if he were to be traded we would only waive it to go to a contender, and contender do NOT trade away components of their roster at this point.

Gainey has the option of trading juneau, kilger, Dackel, Bouillon, and maybe even Bulis and then prospects and/or picks.

Gainey is trying to beef this team up for the playoffs and beyond, this tells me he is in the mist of making another move that WILL include current roster player(s) to achieve his goal.

Old
03-04-2004, 12:02 PM
Bob In Kitchener

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJarl
Well, if Molson Man is right... and another big trade is coming, I imagine this time we'll have to give up some roster players to make it happen. Trade roster player for roster player, and we still end up with a few extra depth players.
Say for instance (this is just an example) we traded Perreault and Hainsey for Oneill. Jeff'd take Dags place, I imagine... and we still have tonnes of depth going into the playoffs. Not only can we afford to make another big trade with roster players involved, I think we can't afford not to. If ya know what I mean.
lol

pEAce :dazzle:
Exactly...I smell something else cooking...We are TOO SOFT right now...we need to do something else...Remember, we will be in tough no matter who we play in the first round...we need toughness, size, grit and character to compete. We are not there yet.

Old
03-04-2004, 12:12 PM
Shazbot

I'm sure Gainey is keeping his ear to the ground, but I would be surprised to see another big trade happen. I have the sense that he is just tinkering now. A minor change or two may be coming (goodbye, Chad Kilger, for example), but I couldn't see him trading Bulis or Bouillon at this point. In the Montreal Gazette this morning (March 4, 2004), Bill Beacon (from the Canadian Press) reported the following:

"Gainey said that with Souray scheduled to return from a knee injury this month, he is content with his defence corps."

I don't think he's keen on sacrificing much more of the team's future or potential future at this point. I think that the "big trade" you're looking for already happened this morning: Jim Dowd to Montreal for a 4th round pick in 2004.

I hope I'm wrong, for in Gainey I trust, but I think this is our team for the playoffs, and the boys in Hamilton will stay in Hamilton.

I believe Gainey believes the "goal" you mention above has been achieved: making his team competitive while retaining its identity and its potential for the coming years. This is still a youth movement. But now it's got bite - and a serious game-breaker in Kovalev! (I'm excited enough. I can do without Jeff O'Neill. Zednik will come alive at some point, I reckon.)

Last edited by Shazbot: 03-04-2004 at 12:23 PM.
Old
03-04-2004, 12:17 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

vCash: 915
Screw Chad Kilger , he played real bad last night and with the Addition of Dowd he's obivously the odd man out . They'll waive him again , let's hope someone bite .

Old
03-04-2004, 12:21 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Gainey's big next move will be to send Kilger down to Hamilton to bolster their lineup for their playoff run. Seriously though, we do have some extra forwards now that we have added two and not taken any regulars off the roster. Gainey also mentioned that several teams have expressed interest in some of our roster players that are not getting much ice time, which means some of our forwards may be given up for picks at this point. I am sure that he is testing the waters, but I just hope that he isn't tempted to give up any of our blue chip prospects for another rental or expensive over-the-hill vet.

Old
03-04-2004, 12:26 PM
KingJarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazbot

I believe Gainey believes the "goal" you mention above has been achieved: making his team competitive while retaining its identity and its potential for the coming years. This is still a youth movement. But now it's got bite - and a serious game-breaker in Kovalev! (I'm excited enough. I can do without Jeff O'Neill. Zednik will come alive at some point, I reckon.)
I agree in part. I believe Zednik will wake up in time, but it's Dags that I'm worried about. I think he's too soft for NHL playoffs. I think we need a tougher winger for Ribs. And to do that, I think we may have to give up a roster player, maybe Bulis?

Old
03-04-2004, 12:32 PM
Darz

I gotta a feeling that Perreault's going to be moved.

I think he can still be useful in the proper situation, and some team will be willing to give up a little something for his services.

Old
03-04-2004, 12:36 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz

I think he can still be useful in the proper situation, and some team will be willing to give up a little something for his services.

Why trade Perrault for a ''little something ?'' if Koivu or Ribeiro are injuried then we are in deep **** . Perrault said he want to stay here even if he don't play on a top line , he's a good asset and a wildcard if injuries strikes . Why trade him for a late pick it makes no sense .

Old
03-04-2004, 12:37 PM
Shazbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz

My point is that the playoffs are coming and the Habs don't need "a little something" right now. I think they would be better served to be greedy and hang on to Perreault, who I also believe can "be useful in the proper situation" (for example, as a back-up offensive center in case one of our two goes down).

On the other hand, if management deems it necessary to dump him, a little something in return would be nice. And I would of course be all for a big something if it comes along.

Edit: My point exactly, Jozeph_Balej! (P.S. Maybe you should change your name now...)

Old
03-04-2004, 12:40 PM
Darz

Quote:
My point is that the playoffs are coming and the Habs don't need "a little something" right now. I think they would be better served to be greedy and hang on to Perreault, who I also believe can "be useful in the proper situation" (for example, as a back-up offensive center in case one of our two goes down).
I don't disagree with your point, I just have a feeling with all the forward additions brought in, Gainey will move at least one of our forwards, and since Perreault still might have value to some teams in this league, I could see him being the odd man out.

Can't see Perreault trading any forward to another Eastern team mind you.

Old
03-04-2004, 12:58 PM
RaTcine

Why not try Perreault with Ribeiro and Ryder..
I think Dagenais is going nowhere.... and I think Kovalev will play with Koivu and Zednik...

Zednik/Koivu/Kovalev
Perreault/Ribeiro/Ryder

?

Old
03-04-2004, 01:15 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaTcine
I think Dagenais is going nowhere.... and I think Kovalev will play with Koivu and Zednik...

Zednik/Koivu/Kovalev
Perreault/Ribeiro/Ryder

?

Old
03-04-2004, 01:17 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

Quote:
Edit: My point exactly, Jozeph_Balej! (P.S. Maybe you should change your name now...)
Maybe

Old
03-04-2004, 01:19 PM
Bob In Kitchener

Quote:

Zednik/Koivu/Kovalev
Perreault/Ribeiro/Ryder

?
He is way too soft.....he will disappear in tight checking playoff games...we need size, grit and character, along with a scoring touch....someone willing to go to the net and pay the price....then we'll have something special.

Old
03-04-2004, 01:45 PM
RaTcine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob In Kitchener
He is way too soft.....he will disappear in tight checking playoff games...we need size, grit and character, along with a scoring touch....someone willing to go to the net and pay the price....then we'll have something special.
Dagenais is soft too...and it worked....Perreault is more sniper than Dagenais and he knows he's dangerous from the slot...

Old
03-04-2004, 01:50 PM
Bob In Kitchener

Quote:
Dagenais is soft too...and it worked....Perreault is more sniper than Dagenais and he knows he's dangerous from the slot...
Sure he is...in October...but really...neither Perreault or Dagenais is the type of player we need going into the playoffs...they are soft, one-dimensional, perimeter players...they are a dime a dozen. We have to give Ribeiro some good, gritty wingers to work with....he has one..but he needs two.

Old
03-04-2004, 02:18 PM
EquabaleAce

Send a message via MSN to EquabaleAce
Quote:

Zednik/Koivu/Kovalev
Perreault/Ribeiro/Ryder

?
perrault is just a smaller (worse shot, less reach, better at faceoffs) dagenais, i say give him a shot
if dags doesn't work out, you can always bump bulis up and dackell can fill the void

Old
03-04-2004, 02:27 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Quote:
We need character players and that is exactly why a guy like Dowd was brought in.

Old
03-04-2004, 03:51 PM
Firthbird
#Drivefor25

Who's the first to go???

With the acquisations of Kovalev and Dowd, that leaves us with a 23 man roster. Know normally a team has 18 players, plus 1 or 2 scratches (not taking yp from Minors) We have too many players now, and it is obvious that a few of our players are going to be traded. So I ask you, Who is the first to go???

I think it will be between either Perreault or possibly Dykhuis (since he was playing up in the NHL, some teams may be interested)

Old
03-04-2004, 04:01 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Sure he is...in October...but really...neither Perreault or Dagenais is the type of player we need going into the playoffs...they are soft, one-dimensional, perimeter players...they are a dime a dozen. We have to give Ribeiro some good, gritty wingers to work with....he has one..but he needs two.
When are people going to understand this! U are absolutely right! Because Perrault score a couple goals lately that he's good and that Dagenais has a great shot he must stay with Ribs? Dagenais would be useful only if he could create his own shot but he cant, and Perrault he's as soft as they come. Wake up people!

Old
03-04-2004, 04:08 PM
Traitor8

Obviously another winger would be very appreciated but we have to work with what we got right now and that's a decision between Perreault,Dagenais and other players.
What do you do with them?

Old
03-04-2004, 04:19 PM
Garnet

Next Traded

I think Kilger and Dackell are probably up for grabs

Old
03-04-2004, 04:28 PM
habs1988

Roster is full

With the addition of Kovy, the roster is full I think. Now if we had Dowd, it's too full. And with the return of Bulis and Souray, who will sit ?? Trade for Perreault, Juneau ??? BG has not finish yet, 'cause you can't sit Juneau for 2 millions and Perreault for 3 millions.

Closed Thread