HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 31: Flames @ Blues, 6:30 MT (Sportsnet West / Fan960)

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2008, 01:05 PM
Lanny'sDaMan

vCash: 500
Game 31: Flames @ Blues, 6:30 MT (Sportsnet West / Fan960)

The Flames head into St Louis looking to snap a three game losing skid. Now I heard someone describe this skid as not feeling like a three game losing streak, well it may not feel like minus fifty, but your skin will still freeze. The Flames have to win tonight and turn things around before the Christmas break.Ad tonight against the Blues presents a perfect opportunity to do exactly that. Well and also reclaim the top spot in the division.

Our heroes simply have to buckle down and play their system. Deny the neutral zone, play strong in your own zone, and get those shots on net. Actually on net. By all that is holy and sacred please get the power play clicking. This has been my biggest issue this season, and one I’m fairly sick of harping on. Not being a coach myself I can’t say what needs to be done, but I can see the results and they are not pretty.

Projected Line-ups
Cammalleri-Conroy-Iginla
Bourque-Boyd-Lundmark
Bertuzzi-Langkow-Moss
Roy-Lombardi-Nystrom
Extras:

Defense Pairings:
Regehr-Aucoin
Giordano-Phaneuf
Pardy-Sarich
Extra:

As per usual Mr Miikka in net tonight.

Injury Report
For the Flames, Five players are out. Brandon Prust (Broken Jaw), Rhett Warrener shoulder), James Vandermeer (Broken Ankle), Wayne Primeau (foot), and Curtis Glencross (lower body). For St Louis Erik Johnson (Knee surgery), D.J. King (shoulder surgery), Paul Kariya (hip flexor), Andy McDonald (broken Ankle), T.J. Oshie (ankle), Manny Legace (concussion), and Eric Brewer (shoulder).

Player to Watch
So many people this game. Bertuzzi trying to score, Cammy and Iggy looking to lead this team to a big ole “W” again, Mikka being a brick wall. Seriously take your pick, as the whole team should be right proper fired up tonight.

Last edited by Lanny'sDaMan: 12-16-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old
12-16-2008, 01:11 PM
StreakingRed
Win For Gio

It would be nice to see Bertuzzi score a goal tonight to boost his confidence, he looks very frustrated on the ice these days. But most importantly, a win tonight would be great. Here's hoping the few days of rest the team has gotten did them well.

Go Flames!

Old
12-16-2008, 02:30 PM
Hyde

Have a bad feeling about this game. No reason why, the Flames should be able to beat the Blues no problem (sorry Blues Fans). Yet this game bothers me.

Meh, back to work I go (man oh man can this month please end).

Old
12-16-2008, 03:09 PM
Grannys

^^^ nice pic

Old
12-16-2008, 03:40 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Am I the only one that would have liked to see McElhinney is net tonight. Hoping he would get the start, but can't say I'm surprised he's not.

Hopefully Bert can get that goal tonight. He is obviously frustrated and he needs to get one soon. Hopefully the rest helped and the team comes out flying. Is a game we should win.

Go Flames Go

Old
12-16-2008, 03:48 PM
Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan12 View Post
Am I the only one that would have liked to see McElhinney is net tonight. Hoping he would get the start, but can't say I'm surprised he's not.
Too many games off between this game and last, McElhinney I bet is not going to play until the New Year.

Old
12-16-2008, 04:11 PM
serratedmuffin

I'd like to see fort Mac in net, but Kipper is well rested and the fact we're on a 3 game losing streak and our backup hasn't won a game in his career yet. Kipper can handle both games, as minnesota cant seem to score right now.

Old
12-16-2008, 04:43 PM
Cyrus

vCash: 50
I think the key to the game will be Iginla. He has 2 points in the last 4 games, and hasn't been that noticable. The last time we played St. Louis, he had two points, including an assist on the OT goal. A perfect opportunity tonight for Iggy to get hot.

Old
12-16-2008, 07:58 PM
ChoiceBeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
I think the key to the game will be Iginla. He has 2 points in the last 4 games, and hasn't been that noticable. The last time we played St. Louis, he had two points, including an assist on the OT goal. A perfect opportunity tonight for Iggy to get hot.
So far so good!

Old
12-16-2008, 08:03 PM
GoFlames

You gotta love dirty goals! Great start as the team has been pressing well.

Old
12-16-2008, 08:12 PM
PIMking

Iggy just scored agian.

Pardy is looking good and Lundmark is playing well also.

Old
12-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Sleazy P Martini

what a release

Old
12-16-2008, 08:24 PM
Lanny'sDaMan

All told a fine example of what the Flames must do to be successful. Everyone was passing well, making smart plays and hitting with authority. There were also some excellent periods of sustained pressure in the Blues zone, and the Flames looked hungry and dangerous all period long. Well if you ignore the first couple shifts. The ever amazing Miikka held the fort to get the Flames past that bit unscathed. Then it was a Flames hockey game. Even the neutral zone was a wall of White and Red as the Flames left o time or space for any one.

The power play was fantastic. They had very good sustained pressure and some beauty passing. Which of course resulted in some great shots, that Mason really had to work to get. But alas get them he did. The PP unit was also very good defensively chasing down an errant puck and denying the St Louis defenders a short handed chance. The PK was, again a thing of myth. There will be songs written of the glory that is our pk, stories told around fires. Yes they are simply that good.

A few players have caught my attention that frame. Iggy is on FIRE! Than is a man who intends to win this game, even if he has to do it by himself. Thankfully the rest of the team seems fire up too, so that isn't the case. Moss is again everywhere at all times. I love how when he's on the ice things happen! And Bertuzzi was great that frame, making smart passes and digging in the corner. Doing the gritty crap work we expect of him. Stay on it Todd!!

Old
12-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 1000
Goal! 3-0

Old
12-16-2008, 08:58 PM
StreakingRed
Win For Gio

Woooo.... Cammalleri!

4-2!

Old
12-16-2008, 09:11 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Aucoin! 5-2

Old
12-16-2008, 09:12 PM
StreakingRed
Win For Gio

Beauty of a pass from Lombardi to Aucoin! Wow...

Old
12-16-2008, 09:15 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

4 points for Iginla so far, 2 goals and 2 assists

Old
12-16-2008, 09:27 PM
Lanny'sDaMan

A much less stellar period. Yes the Flames score a multitude of times. Yes the scoring came from all over the depth chart. Certainly there was moments of glory in that frame. But there was also a large amount of sloppy play, and piss poor decision making. Passes that had no business being attempted, and giveaways galore. Bad penalties as well, took their toll.

The power play was Fantastic. Yes I actually am praising the power play. They were that good. They had passing that was perfect. There was sustained pressure, and players were moving around the ice. And there was a goal. And it was good. Very good. Cammy finally got the puck into the net on yet another pass from the heavens and he didn't even blink as he slapped that puck into the twine. Yeah, you the man Cammy!

The penalty kill was Miikka. He was really the best penalty killer. sure the first PP goal by the Blues was his fault, but he more than made up for it with his play since then. And to be fair Aucoin deserves a bit of flak for that abysmal pass attempt. Unless he meant to give it to Berglund, then it was picture perfect. Again with Aucoin taking a penalty with less than a minute to go and the Flames get the treat of starting the third with a 5 on 3.

Remember how I said in the first that Iggy didn';t have to carry this game by himself? Well thanks to Aucoin, Lombardi, and Cammy, he certainly doesn't. Though it can be pointed out that Jarome has four points tonight so he's been in on all but one of the goals. Good to see him fired up as there simply is no stopping him or the Flames when it happens. Miikka was a bit weak that period. I felt he should have had both goals. When you consider how he robbed the Blues at least 7 times on goals that should have been, there is no reason either weaksauce attempt that actually went in should have.

And the whole team needs to tighten up defensively again. They get playing too loosely and the Blues come at them in droves. When the Flames are solid defensively the neutral zone looks like a rush hour pile up on 16th Ave. As well it should. Get you poop together Flames. Of course a large amount of the venom in my comments is negated by the continual scoring of the Flames.

Old
12-16-2008, 09:36 PM
AndersEriksson*

Lombardi sux!!!!!!!!

Old
12-16-2008, 09:37 PM
Noori

vCash: 763
And I'm missing this game.

Old
12-16-2008, 09:38 PM
GoFlames

What a PK! That post was also helpful

Old
12-16-2008, 09:40 PM
Noori

5-3

Old
12-16-2008, 09:44 PM
Noori

Langkow !

Wow, Lundmark is supposedly looking good.

Old
12-16-2008, 09:44 PM
StreakingRed
Win For Gio

Langkow!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander View Post
5-3
6-3.

Closed Thread