HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Goalie sticks...

Old
12-16-2008, 02:18 PM
Garfinkel1

vCash: 500
Goalie sticks...

Last weekend my goalie stick broke down by the curve and I am looking for a new stick. However, I have no idea at all of which stick I want to get.

I like the way Lundvist plays so I was thinking of getting
http://www.hockeygiant.com/tpsfcfgssr.html but I honestly have no clue. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Louisville TPS GSFCFL Foam Core Fibre Laminate Senior Hockey

I want to keep the price under 100 which I know limits many options.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 03:06 PM
njdevils1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Last weekend my goalie stick broke down by the curve and I am looking for a new stick. However, I have no idea at all of which stick I want to get.

I like the way Lundvist plays so I was thinking of getting
http://www.hockeygiant.com/tpsfcfgssr.html but I honestly have no clue. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Louisville TPS GSFCFL Foam Core Fibre Laminate Senior Hockey

I want to keep the price under 100 which I know limits many options.
I'm not a fan of the TPS sticks. I've had some durability issues with the aircraft core ones...I bought a three pack of them, and went through two of them in a month playing twice a week.

As for what pattern to get...you should get a stick you are comfortable with, not one that a goalie you like uses. For example, I despise the Brodeur RBK pattern.

Here is a link with some patterns- maybe you can match your old stick with a new one if you'd like to keep the same style.

http://www.goaliedeals.com/hockey-goalie-sticks.html

I have a promo code for 20% off that site as well, if you find a stick you like there.

njdevils1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 03:35 PM
densetsu

Goalie sticks are a *very* personal object. I wouldn't go with a stick just because it has the name of one of your favourite goalies on it. Unless your body and technique are exactly like Lundqvist's, there's a slim chance that's the right stick for you.

The three biggest things to consider are length, lie, and curve. Length and lie go hand-in-hand with your body (particularly, your height), and they should give a paddle that's appropriate for your height and style, and a blade that's centered between your legs. A stick that's too tall or short, or with an incorrect lie, will give you an improperly positioned blade.

When choosing a curve, there's a compromise to be made. More curve means you'll be able to lift the puck more on forehand shots, but there'll be less blade touching the ice for saves, and backhand shots will be harder to make. Less curve is better for saves and backhands but will make it harder to lift the puck on your forehand. Again, personal preference.

Before I go off on a rant, I will say that I have nothing but good words for the Sherwood 5030 and 9950 goalie sticks. Both are simple fibreglass/foam-core sticks, relatively inexpensive at $60 - $70, and last a long time. Not as light as composites, of course, but they get the job done.

Now, onto my rant about paddle lengths... I'll assume that on the [standup ... butterfly] spectrum of style, you're more a butterfly goalie than a standup one. Most butterfly/hybrid goalies will still buy a stick based on how it feels in their stance, and invariably will buy the longest stick they feel comfortable with in their stance. This is the "traditional" way of fitting a stick. But how does that stick feel in a half- or full-butterfly, the position you're in when you're actually making a save? With most body types, when you're in butterfly with a stick that's too long, one of two things will happen:

a) You'll have your blade too far out, so pucks just ramp up it and potentially over your pads/gloves/etc.

b) You'll have your blade close and upright, but the paddle will push your blocker hand up and out, opening up a big gap in the 6-hole under your armpit. Check out http://www.goaliepro.com/en/resource...oper_stick.php for some illustrations.

Many pro goalies choose a paddle length shorter than "traditional" length for their height. Fleury is 6'2" and has a 25" paddle, Huet is 6'0" and has a 24" paddle, Garon is 6'2" and has a 24" paddle! Yet in most beer leagues, it's a rarity to see goalies 5'10" or taller with anything shorter than a 27" paddle.

If you do get a shorter stick, there will be an adjustment period where your legs have to get used to a shorter stance. But in the end, the shorter stick will help eliminate needless 6-hole goals; better yet, a shorter stance means your legs are chambered more, giving you the ability to be more explosive with your pushoffs and slides.

All this coming from a 6'3" goalie with a 25" paddle. I too used a 27" paddle before, switched to 26" and then 25", and saw a huge difference.

/End rant

Last edited by densetsu: 12-16-2008 at 03:40 PM.
densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 03:43 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by densetsu View Post
Goalie sticks are a *very* personal object. I wouldn't go with a stick just because it has the name of one of your favourite goalies on it. Unless your body and technique are exactly like Lundqvist's, there's a slim chance that's the right stick for you.

The three biggest things to consider are length, lie, and curve. Length and lie go hand-in-hand with your body (particularly, your height), and they should give a paddle that's appropriate for your height and style, and a blade that's centered between your legs. A stick that's too tall or short, or with an incorrect lie, will give you an improperly positioned blade.

When choosing a curve, there's a compromise to be made. More curve means you'll be able to lift the puck more on forehand shots, but there'll be less blade touching the ice for saves, and backhand shots will be harder to make. Less curve is better for saves and backhands but will make it harder to lift the puck on your forehand. Again, personal preference.

Before I go off on a rant, I will say that I have nothing but good words for the Sherwood 5030 and 9950 goalie sticks. Both are simple fibreglass/foam-core sticks, relatively inexpensive at $60 - $70, and last a long time. Not as light as composites, of course, but they get the job done.

Now, onto my rant about paddle lengths... I'll assume that on the [standup ... butterfly] spectrum of style, you're more a butterfly goalie than a standup one. Most butterfly/hybrid goalies will still buy a stick based on how it feels in their stance, and invariably will buy the longest stick they feel comfortable with in their stance. This is the "traditional" way of fitting a stick. But how does that stick feel in a half- or full-butterfly, the position you're in when you're actually making a save? With most body types, when you're in butterfly with a stick that's too long, one of two things will happen:

a) You'll have your blade too far out, so pucks just ramp up it and potentially over your pads/gloves/etc.

b) You'll have your blade close and upright, but the paddle will push your blocker hand up and out, opening up a big gap in the 6-hole under your armpit. Check out http://www.goaliepro.com/en/resource...oper_stick.php for some illustrations.

Many pro goalies choose a paddle length shorter than "traditional" length for their height. Fleury is 6'2" and has a 25" paddle, Huet is 6'0" and has a 24" paddle, Garon is 6'2" and has a 24" paddle! Yet in most beer leagues, it's a rarity to see goalies 5'10" or taller with anything shorter than a 27" paddle.

If you do get a shorter stick, there will be an adjustment period where your legs have to get used to a shorter stance. But in the end, the shorter stick will help eliminate needless 6-hole goals; better yet, a shorter stance means your legs are chambered more, giving you the ability to be more explosive with your pushoffs and slides.

All this coming from a 6'3" goalie with a 25" paddle. I too used a 27" paddle before, switched to 26" and then 25", and saw a huge difference.

/End rant
Wow. Thanks for that GREAT explanation. That was a very interesting read. I have been using a short goalie stick for a long time now so I guess it is only appropriate to go with it again. From what you wrote, that might be a good thing. I think I will go with a smaller curve since I am usually very good at lifting the puck anyways.

Anyways, What stick would you recommend for a short goalie 5'6(I wish I was taller but I do well with what I got since I'm really quick) and a small curve?

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 06:36 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Wow. Thanks for that GREAT explanation. That was a very interesting read. I have been using a short goalie stick for a long time now so I guess it is only appropriate to go with it again. From what you wrote, that might be a good thing. I think I will go with a smaller curve since I am usually very good at lifting the puck anyways.

Anyways, What stick would you recommend for a short goalie 5'6(I wish I was taller but I do well with what I got since I'm really quick) and a small curve?
I concur about what densetsu said. You should try to avoid grabbing a stick just because your favorite player happens to endorse it (then again I have a small army of Brodeur retail/pro return sticks).

There's a great deal for these CCM Vector 10.0 intermediate sticks for $45: http://www.goaliedeals.com/ccmv10gstkint.html

There's an additional 20% with the code "alloff20" which basically would cover the shipping charge. I grabbed one for myself recently but haven't had a chance to use it. The paddle is ~24" which I think in theory will work better for me (5'9"). I've been using standard 26"-27" paddles which I think causes an opening underneath my right arm when I'm in the butterfly. To shut off that hole, the blade of the stick will tend to not lie flat on the ice and I'd be prone to 5 hole goals.

The other nice thing about this stick is that the shaft is composite, so I can add a butt end to it if I want to increase the length.

The Kolzig curve wasn't too bad. I don't do much puckhandling, so that's usually not a huge concern for me.

Edit: After re-reading densetsu's post, he really covered everything!

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote