HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stars move up in HF prospect rankings

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-16-2008, 04:16 PM
  #1
________
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 4,642
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Stars move up in HF prospect rankings

Stars aren't ranked in the 21 to 30 range.
I wonder when the last time that happened if ever.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 04:45 PM
  #2
vofty
Registered User
 
vofty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 3,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
Stars aren't ranked in the 21 to 30 range.
I wonder when the last time that happened if ever.
I guess winning the Traverse Tourney has a way of quieting your nay-sayers...that and well Jamie Benn kicking butt in the minors, and James Neal doing well in the big leauge. I thought it funny looking back on the original article when we were ranked 27 that it had our blue line as the big bright spot of the future, had to laugh a little and remind myself that it is not now....the future.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 04:45 PM
  #3
Alistar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Azores
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
Stars aren't ranked in the 21 to 30 range.
I wonder when the last time that happened if ever.
this brings us more in line on HF then where we are with the hockey publications (I recall atleast a couple magazines which ranked the stars prospects at around 15th in the league).

nice to see we're getting some recognition now.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 06:11 PM
  #4
Hull Fan
Czech Stop
 
Hull Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arlington, TX
Country: Albania
Posts: 5,381
vCash: 500
How do they decide who's eligible? I assume Neal and Brunnstrum are listed but are they really prospects anymore? They're NHL regulars. Young guys who will probably improve as they play more games but do they belong on a list like this?


Still though excluding them and Stephan the list for Dallas is much improved over the last several years.

1. Benn
2. Bachman
3. Vishnevskiy
4. Fistric
5. Wandell
6. Beskorowany
7. Korostin
8. Sacchetti
9. Sceviour
10. Larsen
11. Roman
12. Winkler
13. Bergin
14. Monast
15. Tassone
16. Lindgren
17. Sawada
18. Smith
19. Gagnon
20. Kahn

or something like that.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 07:04 PM
  #5
vofty
Registered User
 
vofty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 3,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
How do they decide who's eligible? I assume Neal and Brunnstrum are listed but are they really prospects anymore? They're NHL regulars. Young guys who will probably improve as they play more games but do they belong on a list like this?


Still though excluding them and Stephan the list for Dallas is much improved over the last several years.

1. Benn
2. Bachman
3. Vishnevskiy
4. Fistric
5. Wandell
6. Beskorowany
7. Korostin
8. Sacchetti
9. Sceviour
10. Larsen
11. Roman
12. Winkler
13. Bergin
14. Monast
15. Tassone
16. Lindgren
17. Sawada
18. Smith
19. Gagnon
20. Kahn

or something like that.
My best guess is after you have spent a season in the NHL you are no longer a prospect? They still have Neal and Brunnstrom listed as prospects in the audit they did in November, even commenting how they made the jump to the NHL. But I'm really not sure how they decide.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._system_audit/

Quote:
Adventurous center Tom Wandell has returned to Timra IK of the Swedish Elite League and isn't likely to make a return any time soon. The Stars appeared to have gambled and lost on the offensively-gifted Swede
LOL...isn't likely to make a return barring half the team gets injured and at which point he will be welcomed back with open arms.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 10:00 PM
  #6
Captain Awesome
Registered User
 
Captain Awesome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,996
vCash: 500
It's a certain amount of games, like 65ish. I think Kevin Forbes told me that personally, so yeah.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 11:25 PM
  #7
Alistar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Azores
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
so it turns out we have the 16th best prospect pool according to HF. I'm surprised they bumped us up so much seeing as our farm system isn't exactly brimming with big names

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 11:42 PM
  #8
Hull Fan
Czech Stop
 
Hull Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arlington, TX
Country: Albania
Posts: 5,381
vCash: 500
Assuming Dallas doesn't spend money in the off season on the forwards (defense needs far more help) I really think I'd like to see these combinations in scrimmages/preseason.

Morrow-Ribiero-Brunnstrom
Neal-Richards-Eriksson
Benn-Modano-Wandell
Ott-Peterson-Barch

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 09:52 AM
  #9
Dallasman
Registered User
 
Dallasman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Edmonton,Alberta
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 1,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Assuming Dallas doesn't spend money in the off season on the forwards (defense needs far more help) I really think I'd like to see these combinations in scrimmages/preseason.

Morrow-Ribiero-Brunnstrom
Neal-Richards-Eriksson
Sutherby-Modano-Wandell
Ott-Peterson-Sawada
Barch-extra

I see Benn starting next year in Texas before coming up with the Stars.

By the way, who is Kahn? Did you mean Brent Krahn, the goalie who was in Las Vegas but now is not there anymore?

Dallasman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 10:11 AM
  #10
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,919
vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasman View Post
Barch-extra

I see Benn starting next year in Texas before coming up with the Stars.

By the way, who is Kahn? Did you mean Brent Krahn, the goalie who was in Las Vegas but now is not there anymore?
He's playing in the AHL now for Chicago's affiliate. I don't now how long that assignment will be. I guess Niemi or Crawford have an injury.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 02:18 PM
  #11
Caseman
Registered User
 
Caseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
so it turns out we have the 16th best prospect pool according to HF. I'm surprised they bumped us up so much seeing as our farm system isn't exactly brimming with big names
Big names don't mean big production. Ask Jack Johnson and others like him.

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 03:13 PM
  #12
Hull Fan
Czech Stop
 
Hull Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arlington, TX
Country: Albania
Posts: 5,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
He's playing in the AHL now for Chicago's affiliate. I don't now how long that assignment will be. I guess Niemi or Crawford have an injury.
He's played well so far in the AHL. He's a former first rounder so he has talent if he can stay healthy. If we have injuries I'd rather see him than Climie. I don't believe he's in Dallas' future plans but if he does well this season in the AHL he could be moved during the draft for a team without a lot of goalie options. He's a nice low risk pick up who could play dividends at the deadline or this summer.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 03:16 PM
  #13
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,919
vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
He's played well so far in the AHL. He's a former first rounder so he has talent if he can stay healthy. If we have injuries I'd rather see him than Climie. I don't believe he's in Dallas' future plans but if he does well this season in the AHL he could be moved during the draft for a team without a lot of goalie options. He's a nice low risk pick up who could play dividends at the deadline or this summer.
I thought he had only played one game so far in the AHL, but it was a good one according to the stats.

His ECHL numbers weren't very impressive. The last I looked, his save% was sub .900.

Edit:

In 6 ECHL games: 4.04GAA, 0.874 Save%, 1-4-1

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 03:17 PM
  #14
Hull Fan
Czech Stop
 
Hull Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arlington, TX
Country: Albania
Posts: 5,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasman View Post
Barch-extra

I see Benn starting next year in Texas before coming up with the Stars.

By the way, who is Kahn? Did you mean Brent Krahn, the goalie who was in Las Vegas but now is not there anymore?
I wasn't sure there's a world where we'd scratch Barch. Though yes to Sawada over him. Also I imagine they'll start Benn in the AHL but you never know. Niskanen forced their hand last year Benn could do the same. Especially if he gets ice time with Richards or Modano. His ability to put the puck in the net could really be showcased with a quality center feeding him said puck.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 03:21 PM
  #15
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,919
vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
I wasn't sure there's a world where we'd scratch Barch. Though yes to Sawada over him. Also I imagine they'll start Benn in the AHL but you never know. Niskanen forced their hand last year Benn could do the same. Especially if he gets ice time with Richards or Modano. His ability to put the puck in the net could really be showcased with a quality center feeding him said puck.
I think Buffaloed said he watched a game, and Benn was very lazy on the backcheck. A few other reports I've read said the same thing. He's lazy in the defensive zone.

I don't see Tippett putting up with that. The coach won't play him, and the team would be forced to start him in the AHL.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 04:42 PM
  #16
piqued
Global Moderator
shift
 
piqued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 30,809
vCash: 27750
It's amazing what having a writer will do for your teams' ranking.

The write-up is essentially the same as all the years we were at the bottom.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.