HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Thrashers & Wild Talking

Old
12-17-2008, 12:42 PM
4rde

vCash: 500
Remember guys, Wild is not looking for d-men because the have plenty of them already. And i dont see Atlanta trading Kovy anywhere until they have more good attackers 'cos if they traded Kovy now, they would have a guaranteed spot at the bottom in standings for many years to come.

And as everybody knows, Wild is kinda trading Gaborik so i'd say something like this:

To Atlanta: Marian Gaborik
To Wild: Christensen, Williams and 1st round

4rde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 12:46 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthliner View Post
You are wrong, my friend. Atlanta is scoring at a decent clip, 12th or 13th in the league, but pretty much last in GAA. Hainsey has been more or less a bust and Schneider is too old. If anything, Atlanta needs defense right now! BTW, Atlanta is NOT interested in parting with Pavelec without getting one hell of a return. Jason Williams to Minny could be legit though, depending on what the Thrash want in return. M.A. Bergeron for J Will and a high draft pick?
Atlanta is scoring is up .5 goals per game vs. last year, and their scoring from defense is up 100% over last year.

Hainsey is a big reason for that, and he has been very strong in the #1 D role for the Thrashers so far this year. He still has some problems in his own zone from time to time, but his offensive production has been well above what was expected. He should have a career year for points production this year.

The Thrashers problems with GAA come from the Thrashers D doing too much on the offensive front, leaving them exposed to odd man rushes. The Thrashers need to improve their forwards, so they become less reliant on their Defense to drive scoring.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 01:02 PM
ArVeeDee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arde View Post
Remember guys, Wild is not looking for d-men because the have plenty of them already. And i dont see Atlanta trading Kovy anywhere until they have more good attackers 'cos if they traded Kovy now, they would have a guaranteed spot at the bottom in standings for many years to come.

And as everybody knows, Wild is kinda trading Gaborik so i'd say something like this:

Likely lottery pick for the most injury prone guy in the NHL who is also a UFA?

No ty.

ArVeeDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 01:03 PM
thedjpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arde View Post

I'm pretty sure Atlanta's 1st would be significantly out of bounds. 1st round picks are only exchanged if they're in the later 20's. You might get a second from Atlanta, but even that is reaching, at this point, with how bad the team is.

thedjpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 01:04 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer View Post
You would rather buy the belief that I thought you were stupid?

Dude, go back and look at my post history. I'm sarcastic. Get over it.
If you truly were sarcastic and I bit at it, thinking it was real, you'd taunt me rather than defending yourself.

kmad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 01:04 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArVeeDee View Post
Likely lottery pick for the most injury prone guy in the NHL who is also a UFA?

No ty.
That is what it is going to take.

The Thrashers cannot just pass off their garbage to Minny for Gaborik. If the Thrashers are going to make a trade for Gaborik, something very very nice must be going the other way. That would mean Little, Enstrom, or the 1st in 2009.

The Thrashers cannot afford to make that kind of deal.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 01:24 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

People need to understand, even though Gaborik has a history of injury and is a upcoming UFA, he is still a very dangerous player. He is not going to another team for their left overs.

It is going to require 1 or two good young players and a good pick in the 09 draft (late 1ster maybe). Not exceptional prospects but good youngsters.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 02:29 PM
ArVeeDee

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
That is what it is going to take.

The Thrashers cannot just pass off their garbage to Minny for Gaborik. If the Thrashers are going to make a trade for Gaborik, something very very nice must be going the other way. That would mean Little, Enstrom, or the 1st in 2009.

The Thrashers cannot afford to make that kind of deal.
Which is why we don't need to make a big trade with them. Gaborik isn't going to get us into the playoffs.

ArVeeDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 04:29 PM
GetPucksDeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthliner View Post
You are wrong, my friend. Atlanta is scoring at a decent clip, 12th or 13th in the league, but pretty much last in GAA. Hainsey has been more or less a bust and Schneider is too old. If anything, Atlanta needs defense right now! BTW, Atlanta is NOT interested in parting with Pavelec without getting one hell of a return. Jason Williams to Minny could be legit though, depending on what the Thrash want in return. M.A. Bergeron for J Will and a high draft pick?
The problem is Hainsey's partner, Exelby.

GetPucksDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 10:50 AM
North Metro Peewees

On the HIC Hot Stove on Saturday night there was talk about Atlanta wanting/needing Gaborik to keep Kovalchuk happy? I would tend to agree with that and if that is the case Atlanta is going to need to include Little and their 2009 1st rounder.

The Wild aren't here to make sure the Thrashers are competitive.

North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 10:54 AM
officeglen

Days later Garrioch is on it:

Gaborik for Kovalchuk: Wild, Thrashers talk blockbuster ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrioch
... the whisper around the NHL is those teams have been discussing a huge deal involving superstar forwards Marian Gaborik and Ilya Kovalchuk.
Did they whisper last night on HotStove?

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/hock...nada/hotstove/

officeglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 06:15 PM
MKoivu9fan

Well the current deal I hear is Gaborik, Johnsson for Kovalchuk, Armstrong. As far as I'm concerned as a Wild fan, you can have both of them. I don't even know why Johnsson is the captain. There's a common misconception that he's our top defender. Apparently those people don't yet know of Burns and Zidlicky?

MKoivu9fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 06:30 PM
Joey Moss

If Atlanta tries to go for Gaborik than you can almost be sure that they are trying to bring a player to fill in for Kovalchuk being dealt later.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 06:32 PM
Mike The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Might've been talking about which players they were looking at from certain teams (especially the team lower in the standings) in California. After all, both players do have oft-mentioned on the outs players frequently mentioned with regard to that team up the 5 Freeway. Comparing notes? Waddell checking out the other game because he made the long trek? Likely. Likely to be talked about in that fashion, nope.

Not really much to see here w/r/t those two teams. But Wild or Thrashers on one side and Kings or Ducks on the other? Maybe.
i was thinking something like this because why would they meet up at California?

Mike The Franchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 07:03 PM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
Quote:
Originally Posted by CircularTheory View Post
No from Minny.

From what I hear, Williams is terrible, so is Christensen.
2nd I like
Perrin I don't know much about but I'm assuming he isn't that great either.

So for 2 scrubs, 1 assumed scrub and one 2nd rounder, nothing near to what I expect for Gaborik.
Williams is not terrible; hes just terrible when the pressure is on him more then it is on other players. When you need to rely on the guy, he cant take the pressure. He is a hell of a complimentary player though; look at his last year full year in Detroits stats and his brief time in chicago last year. He would make a good playoff rental, but not something involving Gabby.

Howard35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 07:16 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKoivu9fan View Post
Well the current deal I hear is Gaborik, Johnsson for Kovalchuk, Armstrong. As far as I'm concerned as a Wild fan, you can have both of them. I don't even know why Johnsson is the captain. There's a common misconception that he's our top defender. Apparently those people don't yet know of Burns and Zidlicky?
Johnsson is captain because he was arguably the Wild's best player not named Koivu or Backstrom through the first two months. With Burns' down year, Johnsson has been the clear #1 defensemen so far.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 07:59 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

What we know: Gaborik is no re-signing in Minnesota

What we have been told: Don Waddell really won't even consider trading Kovalchuk unless he is forced to

Most likely real life scenario: Minor trade

Most likely HF scenario: Waddell trying to get Gaborik to agree to a massive contract and sign-and-trade in order to keep Kovalchuk happy.

What would go the other way? Who knows.

Given his history with Minnesota, excellent defensive-zone play, solid contract, and hot first half, I'd say Todd White is a decent candidate to be involved. Atlanta has a surplus on D, so Enstrom, Valabik, Schneider, Havelid, and Exelby could all be potential pieces as well, with Havelid being the most likely IMHO.

Assuming a sign-and-trade (3 year contract, 7 a season), here is what I would offer:

Tobias Enstrom
Todd White
2009 2nd / Niclas Havelid (equivalent value) or Prospect

for

Marian Gaborik

To the Wild he's not re-signing, so any value they can get is a plus. To be able to land a player of Enstrom's caliber instead of picks/prospects, as well as a Lemaire player like White who is on fire this season would be amazing, and the rest is just gravy. Havelid has easily been our best defenseman this year, so if they want to make a run this year (or sign him after this season), he'd be a great pick up as well. Also the 2nd/Havelid could easily be switched out for any prospect not named Little or Bogosian. Valabik and Pavelec would probably be the top two after them.

So what do you guys think? Atlanta could probably wait until the offseason and bid for him, and probably have a legit shot since the only teams in the race with enough $$$ will be in the bottom half of the league. The deal really hinges on

A) Does Gaborik want to sign in Atlanta?
B) Does Waddell like Gaborik that much?
C) If Gaborik agrees to negotiate sign-and-trades, what other teams would be interested and what would they offer?

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote