HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #35 - 12.17.08 | NY Rangers @ Los Angeles Kings | 10:30 PM - MSG (HD)

Old
12-18-2008, 12:22 AM
BroadwayRangers13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Naslund is what he is. He's not going to be anything else. He got a few scoring chances, that's all you can really expect from him. I've learned to lay off. Redden and Kalinin were terrible again tonight. And the star of the game Rozsival had a few brutal turnovers as well.
I'm from Vancouver and Naslund is a great player with one hell of a wrist/snap shot. He definately can play well, he played barely 10% of his potential in tonights game. A lot of people are overlooking Naslund, he is a great player. Redden and Kalinin are terrible every game what do you expect, everytime Redden handles the puck I worry. Rozsival had one turnover that I saw and it was recovered nicely. I thought he had a strong game.

BroadwayRangers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 12:30 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlue View Post
Thats home ice for you.

My 3 stars

1) Roszival
2) Valiquette
3) Brown
for the rangers the 3 stars of the game are:

3)Marc Staal, friggin insane
2)Vally, saved our *****
1)Labarbera, played like he was a double agent, or had money on the Rangers.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 12:30 AM
Macke*

Come on Down Sundin!

Macke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 12:32 AM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
for the rangers the 3 stars of the game are:

3)Marc Staal, friggin insane
2)Vally, saved our *****
1)Labarbera, played like he was a double agent, or had money on the Rangers.

I was searching on the board for a Marc Staal appreciation thread but there doesnt seem to be one.

He was unbelievable tonight

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 12:41 AM
nyrrichter35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Hopefully. He had 0 points in his last 8 games and was a -8. It's not like some of us are upset for nothing
gomez is -10 and kalinin is -15.. dont see everyone begging for them to get dished.. sure he has been shaky, but booing your own player is annoying. i understand the whole thiing about how playing in new york is different but man, 30 games into the season and everyone wants to be glen sather

nyrrichter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 12:43 AM
DM23BK30

Thoughts on the game:

1) I wasn't surprised how the Kings dominated. the rangers like last year matched up poorly with them. Vally was the reason why they held on. Good win

2) Staal was the best player on the ice. I say shave Kalinin's minutes by two and start playing Stall 25 mins a night

3) Redden was a no show. A complete failure except for one measly poke check Sam felt compelled to single out. Kalinin was brutal but had some good plays in the offensive zone

4) Drury line was great. My only beef is that Drury lost some big faceoffs in the defensive zone late in the game again that led to scoring chances. It's been a bad trend lately and I hope he fixes it.

5) Kings were clutching and grabbing all night and the refs let them play. A lot of missed calls, I thought.

6) I think the Rangers staff did a poor job of scouting heading into the game. Labarbera is known for huge rebounds and true to form, he was doing it all game and nobody was around the net at all except for the Drury line. They didn't even make adjustments. And if they did their homework, which I think they did, it's their job to make sure the players listen. They spent too much time along the boards

8) Micheletti was much much better tonight, talking about stats, Sundin etc. He still is boring though

9) Betts had a really strong game as usual...

10) San Jose is a machine. Watched the Jackets game and they were all over the ice. The only good news is that there is a chance the Red Wings game on the road may cause a letdown, but doubtful.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 12:54 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayRangers13 View Post
I'm from Vancouver and Naslund is a great player with one hell of a wrist/snap shot. He definately can play well, he played barely 10% of his potential in tonights game. A lot of people are overlooking Naslund, he is a great player. Redden and Kalinin are terrible every game what do you expect, everytime Redden handles the puck I worry. Rozsival had one turnover that I saw and it was recovered nicely. I thought he had a strong game.
He's got a great shot, but I'm not sure what more you wanted to see from him tonight. More backchecking? The Kings did a great job of clogging everything up, and in games like this, your skill players aren't really going to shine.

As for Rozsival, he had one brutal turnover which led to two scoring chances, so maybe you're not thinking of the same one.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 12:58 AM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenTurcotte8 View Post
Thoughts on the game:

1) I wasn't surprised how the Kings dominated. the rangers like last year matched up poorly with them. Vally was the reason why they held on. Good win

2) Staal was the best player on the ice. I say shave Kalinin's minutes by two and start playing Stall 25 mins a night

3) Redden was a no show. A complete failure except for one measly poke check Sam felt compelled to single out. Kalinin was brutal but had some good plays in the offensive zone

4) Drury line was great. My only beef is that Drury lost some big faceoffs in the defensive zone late in the game again that led to scoring chances. It's been a bad trend lately and I hope he fixes it.

5) Kings were clutching and grabbing all night and the refs let them play. A lot of missed calls, I thought.

6) I think the Rangers staff did a poor job of scouting heading into the game. Labarbera is known for huge rebounds and true to form, he was doing it all game and nobody was around the net at all except for the Drury line. They didn't even make adjustments. And if they did their homework, which I think they did, it's their job to make sure the players listen. They spent too much time along the boards

8) Micheletti was much much better tonight, talking about stats, Sundin etc. He still is boring though

9) Betts had a really strong game as usual...

10) San Jose is a machine. Watched the Jackets game and they were all over the ice. The only good news is that there is a chance the Red Wings game on the road may cause a letdown, but doubtful.
good summary. One other thing I noticed was that with 3 minutes left in a tied game we had an offensive zone draw and renney put the 4th line out there. When you do something like that you are essentially announcing that you are playing to get to OT/shootout. I don't like that type of passive approach. It is like in football when a team decides to play a prevent defense at the end of the game and the other team drives right down the field.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 01:08 AM
pavvento

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
good summary. One other thing I noticed was that with 3 minutes left in a tied game we had an offensive zone draw and renney put the 4th line out there. When you do something like that you are essentially announcing that you are playing to get to OT/shootout. I don't like that type of passive approach. It is like in football when a team decides to play a prevent defense at the end of the game and the other team drives right down the field.
I don't know if the two analogies hold up. I think it's similar to baseball when the home team will put their closer in the top of the 9th to keep a tie. I don't see a problem with us playing to get to overtime on the road, especially in a game that we've pretty much been outplayed in.

It's not like we're in a race for the division against the Kings and letting them get a point will hurt us. Given our record in overtime and in shootouts I think it's ok.

pavvento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 01:11 AM
gabevh3

Send a message via AIM to gabevh3 Send a message via Yahoo to gabevh3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrrichter35 View Post
gomez is -10 and kalinin is -15.. dont see everyone begging for them to get dished.. sure he has been shaky, but booing your own player is annoying. i understand the whole thiing about how playing in new york is different but man, 30 games into the season and everyone wants to be glen sather
hell rozy look better as an o-man than d-man lol
seriously why does he play defense ? i would try him on the 4th line a game or 2 .. if he didnt have to wry about playin d. he would be a 10-15 goal scorer easily .

gabevh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 01:21 AM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabevh3 View Post
hell rozy look better as an o-man than d-man lol
seriously why does he play defense ? i would try him on the 4th line a game or 2 .. if he didnt have to wry about playin d. he would be a 10-15 goal scorer easily .
And this is my problem with Rozi. He has a good shot (under utilized) and good pass but his play in his own zone is very, very suspect

mike14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 01:37 AM
gabevh3

Send a message via AIM to gabevh3 Send a message via Yahoo to gabevh3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
And this is my problem with Rozi. He has a good shot (under utilized) and good pass but his play in his own zone is very, very suspect
which is why he shouldnt be playin d.
the guy is a o-man and its plain to see . maybe 1 day in some far away place it will happen lol he even has the size .. think about his possibilities..

gabevh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 01:42 AM
SkinneeJ

Just got back from the game. I was certain we were toast for most of the 3rd. However, I think we played pretty well for a team on the second night of a back to back on the other side of the continent from the home base.

Staal had a fantastic game. I kept talking about him to my friend as if he were my son. I think Drury should start taking more half assed shots. They seem to work. Are you guys at msg going to stop booing rosey now?

Anyway, it was a grand 'ol time at the office supply store. Somehow got onto the jumbotron with my rangers shirt when they decided to put the camera on some dudes wearing cowboy hats behind me. I also got some bestbuy gift card from some weenier wearing an elf costume. Almost threw it away because I thought it was some crappy cd.

SkinneeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 01:45 AM
Captain Monglobster

I don't like Renney starting with Gomez and Drury in OT. Zherdev has to be out there right away. Also didn't like that Dubi went out there with Zherdev on the first change, should have been Naslund and Zherdev given their chemistry. I ALSO don't like to see Blair Betts out there in OT no matter how much time is left, especially since he lost the faceoff he was taking.

Rangers are too soft (Roszival must be color blind because Brown was in the crease longer than Valiquette when he scored.)

I'd trade anyone but Staal, Lundqvist, and maybe Zherdev for Brown, that kid is a beast.

Captain Monglobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 03:40 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
i better see rozy's goal the "highlight of the night" on NHLNetwork

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 04:00 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Larbarbera was PURE garbage tonight. Horrid rebound control. We made him look much better than he was. This is directed to the person who said Labarbera was the third star.

Give rosie some love. That gwg was a BEAUT!

edit: nevermind.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 05:47 AM
NYRSchrute217

How the hell does this team have 46 points?

They manage to play like **** nightly yet they still win. Incredible.

NYRSchrute217 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 06:29 AM
Levitate

So can someone tell me exactly what Redden did that was terrible?

Seemed to me like he didn't really stand out, but didn't do anything bad. I know people love to complain though, so give me some details

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 07:07 AM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenTurcotte8 View Post
Thoughts on the game:

6) I think the Rangers staff did a poor job of scouting heading into the game. Labarbera is known for huge rebounds and true to form, he was doing it all game and nobody was around the net at all except for the Drury line. They didn't even make adjustments. And if they did their homework, which I think they did, it's their job to make sure the players listen. They spent too much time along the boards.
This has less to do with scouting, and more to do with Renney's "system". You are talking hockey 101 here, but for some reason this team pretty much NEVER passes the test. Driving the net looking for rebounds should be a tactic that is employed regardless of opponent, but the Rangers routinely choose not to do so, and their GF/G reflects this all too well.

Is it because they lack the talent/size/courage to do so? Is it because the forwards are more concerned about staying high and getting back? Whatever the reason, the important thing is that IT IS, and this team will continue to be mediocre offensively until IT ISN'T.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 07:28 AM
shon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
So can someone tell me exactly what Redden did that was terrible?

Seemed to me like he didn't really stand out, but didn't do anything bad. I know people love to complain though, so give me some details
could someone tell me what Staal did beside get the assist. that made him play the best. did anyone else not seem him get beat cleanly a bunch of times.

shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 07:52 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
This has less to do with scouting, and more to do with Renney's "system". You are talking hockey 101 here, but for some reason this team pretty much NEVER passes the test. Driving the net looking for rebounds should be a tactic that is employed regardless of opponent, but the Rangers routinely choose not to do so, and their GF/G reflects this all too well.

Is it because they lack the talent/size/courage to do so? Is it because the forwards are more concerned about staying high and getting back? Whatever the reason, the important thing is that IT IS, and this team will continue to be mediocre offensively until IT ISN'T.
I used to think that it was personnel. But when the players have completely changed and the same issues keep coming up, it goes to Renney. He claims that he preaches north/south hockey, driving to the net, cashing in on rebounds, but he has had several sets of players, and the same issues keep coming up. Driving to the net, looking for rebounds and clearing the net of pucks and players has been a recurring nightmare during Renney's tenure.

As for the game, talk about lucky. And the comment regarding "looking to take the game to a shootout" is utterly frightening. Rozsival showed up on the scoresheet, but it is another game, another glaring giveaway. Sundin or no Sundin, the team can only go so far when half of the defense is comprised of Rozsival, Redden & Kalinin. Not to overdramatize, but that troika is about as bad as it gets. The goalie will always be hung out to dry when the terrible threesome is in games.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 07:55 AM
segmentation fault

I will take the win, but if we play San Jose like we did last night we will get wrecked...

...wrecked.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 08:04 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shon View Post
could someone tell me what Staal did beside get the assist. that made him play the best. did anyone else not seem him get beat cleanly a bunch of times.
I don't know about a bunch of times. There was one early in the game where Kopitar walked around him, and he missed a check on someone after Rozsival turned the puck over once, but he also made a lot of very good stops on rushes, played well with the puck in his own zone, and took the body a lot.

But you're also the person who criticizes him a lot

I shouldn't be too critical of you, though, since I feel the same way about Girardi. Guy gets mad overrated around here and he struggles a lot to contain fast transitions, and makes poor, poor decisions with pinches and when to hold the blueline.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 08:24 AM
bmw2004

I just can't believe how lucky this Rangers team is. Playing like they were yesterday and still won its simply unbelievable. I just wanted to be an L.A. fan for a game watching that first and a half periods. Something has to change otherwise even Sundin is not going to help this team. Actually in my opinion he shouldn't sign with Rangers if he wants to go to a cup contending team. Just my two cents.

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 08:45 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Gomez had a TERRIBLE game last night, really quiet and he must have had 5 or so unforced giveaways.

This is definitely a concern, either its Gomez in a slump or Drury... If all these forwards got it going at the same time this team would actually look good out there.

The fact that they are winning games and continuing to play like **** makes me wonder if they are just a gutty team and know how to win games, or are getting bailed out by their great goaltending. I think it has to do with a little bit of both - but theres no way to sugar coat this one guys, they didnt deserve to win this one. In fact you can rattle off about 6 or 7, maybe more that are in that category.

It would be a lot worse if this team got full of itself with all these fake wins, but they don't. I think the coaching staff and the players understand they have a lot to work on and improve at if they want to compete for a cup. ITs not just a hot start anymore over 30 games into the season though. If they play like they played in Anahiem they are a very tough team to beat, they just have to learn how to sustain that...

But take the 2 points and get the hell out of there.

4 out of 6 points on this roadtrip is already a success IMO. If they can get another point in San Jose it would be fantastic.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote