HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 31: Flames @ Wild, 6:00pm MT (TSN / Fan960)

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2008, 02:52 PM
StreakingRed
We Want Gold!

vCash: 500
Game 31: Flames @ Wild, 6:00pm MT (TSN / Fan960)

Quote:
Gaborik is expected to be back on the ice for the first time in more than two months on Tuesday night as the Wild (15-13-1) play host to Jarome Iginla and the Calgary Flames.
Quote:
Jarome Iginla paced the Flames with six goals and five assists against the Wild while Marian Gaborik had four goals and nine assists in seven games against the Flames last season. The Flames captain is one point shy of 800 after collecting four points in a 6-3 win Tuesday in St. Louis.
http://flames.nhl.com/team/app/?serv...ticleid=398615

Here's hoping for a regulation win tonight to end the road trip a perfect 2-0.

Go Flames!

Old
12-17-2008, 03:00 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Expecting another big game from Iggy. He always seems to do well against the Wild. Minnesota is struggling right now so the flames will need to get on them early and try to get a lead. Regulation win would be huge tonight.

Go Flames Go

Old
12-17-2008, 03:50 PM
serratedmuffin

The wild have struggled scoring, but Gaborik is back. The flames D need to get on him early and often, playing the body to send him back on the IR. Iggy seems streaky so he'll probably have another good game. We're going to need loads of traffic in front of Backstrom who has been playing really well this year. I see Moss/Boyd/Bourque with a garbage goal this game.

Old
12-17-2008, 04:06 PM
Hyde

Will this be the year the Flames don't OWN the Wild....

To be fair and bring more to the GDT, lets be honest The Wild have to be desperate for a Win tonight, what have they lost five in a row?! I for one feel really good about this game, but then I always feel good about whent the Flames play the Wild. All Flames Fans should.

Last edited by Hyde: 12-17-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old
12-17-2008, 06:30 PM
GoFlames

Yeah the Flames generally own the Wild. That said they have to play well and assume nothing as the Wild must be desperate for points plus Gaborik should be back. I think the Flames should be able to pull off a win and a 2-0 road trip.

Old
12-17-2008, 06:32 PM
Cyrus

vCash: 50
Taking last year into account, it's pretty hard for me to think the Flames will struggle tonight. Of course, if the players share that attitude, the outcome may not be a good one.

Iginla tends to score some goals against Minnesota, and with his performance last night, should be able to get his 800th career point tonight. While it would be nice to have him get it at home, I'd rather he contribute to a win.

With the way Minnesota's offense has been going, a medium to strong defensive game should be more than enough. Also, with the way the PK has been working for us, we can afford to be pretty physical.

Not sure how tired the team will be, considering they played last night, but it shouldn't be a huge factor.

Old
12-17-2008, 08:34 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
Will this be the year the Flames don't OWN the Wild....

To be fair and bring more to the GDT, lets be honest The Wild have to be desperate for a Win tonight, what have they lost five in a row?! I for one feel really good about this game, but then I always feel good about whent the Flames play the Wild. All Flames Fans should.
My concern is that the Flames start playing undisciplined hockey. I am starting to see it and it concerns me. This Minnesota team has a power play that can make you pay. The Flames took a lot of penalties last game, and it looks like they may be willing to do so again tonight.

Old
12-17-2008, 08:50 PM
serratedmuffin

broken play, minnesota came out with some jump. Calgary needs to drive to the net and keep the shots in close and not play lazy or tired hockey. The boogie man needs to be held in check and not be allowed to run our players through.

^^ from the Fan 960 on the first period paraphrased.

Old
12-17-2008, 08:53 PM
Lanny'sDaMan

Fantastic. Simply fantastic. That initial frame was a thing of beauty. That was all solid, defensive play. Very patient hockey, if you will. Everyone, with one exception, also played incredibly disciplined. Against a special teams giant like the Wild that is really the only smart way to play. There was also no shortage of hits that period either. Of course the stand out would have been Booguard's interference hit on Bourque. Thank god Rene shook it off like nothing.

The penalty kill is currently ranked fourth in the league, and faced the fourth best power play in the league. I an very happy to say they were more than up for the challenge. Blocking shots, clearing lanes so Miikka could see the shots, and a few really dangerous looking shorthanded chances. Man Bourque and Lombardi were amazing all PK long. The power play was good again, but unproductive. They got set up quickly, made smart quick passes, and won a large amount of the battles on the boards. The problem again being pucks missing the net. It usually won't go in if you miss the net. I say usually cause we've all seen the garbage goals that bounce in off of someone's crest.

Giordano, you sir have got to smarten the hell up. Either really start working your ass off out there, or get off the ice and stay off of it. Both of those penalties were of the lazy variety, and it must stop. Now. Bourque and Lombardi, continue on good fellows. That was a brilliant first period. More of the same now. Iggy, the time is 0:21 into the second period. That's when you need to start scoring.

Old
12-17-2008, 09:12 PM
AndersEriksson*

Yeah Lombardi lacks skill. Looks just terrible out there with Iginla and Cammalleri

Beast play by Sarich

Old
12-17-2008, 09:20 PM
sonetlumiere

^ TRADE EM!.. before he loses any more value, right?..

just got in from a little shinny to see him dangle the s*** out of berger(on)..

Old
12-17-2008, 09:23 PM
serratedmuffin

nice, work it kipper! Stone em!

Old
12-17-2008, 09:24 PM
AndersEriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonetlumiere View Post
^ TRADE EM!.. before he loses any more value, right?..

just got in from a little shinny to see him dangle the s*** out of berger(on)..
Oh I agree. If he has any value at all. I can't see why anyone would want him. He doesn't bring anything to the table.

Old
12-17-2008, 09:25 PM
serratedmuffin

Bertuzzi! Finally!!!!!!

Old
AndersEriksson*

Todd!!

What a snipe!

Edit to say oh no and ****!

Old
sonetlumiere

BEEERRRRTTTT! finally...

..haha sorry, uhhh, maybe not just yet todd..

gya langks!

Last edited by sonetlumiere: 12-17-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old
12-17-2008, 09:27 PM
serratedmuffin

ACtually, it's Langkow's goal, and now minny just tied it. Damn it.
1-1

Old
12-17-2008, 09:28 PM
AndersEriksson*

Brilliant headfake by Giordano on the 2-on-1

Old
12-17-2008, 09:32 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 1000
Conroy! 2-1

Old
12-17-2008, 09:33 PM
sonetlumiere

yee conny!

Old
serratedmuffin

Cammalleri sweet feed, Conroy nails it. 2-1 Calgary!!!

Old
AndersEriksson*

Great play by Cammalleri. Beats three guys to the puck. Wonderful play.

Old
12-17-2008, 09:45 PM
Lanny'sDaMan

This was another good solid defensive period. The Flames did a very good job of clogging the neutral zone and denying the Wild much time to get things going. The Flames were really emotional that frame. Almost too emotional as the lone penalty that period came from Nystrom losing his cool. And the most dangerous the Wild looked was right after Sarich's stick disintegrated in his hands. Miikka was also near to flawless, but I don't blame him for that ugly goal. Not even the Pinball Wizard could have kept track of that puck.

The penalty kill unit got to work again and again they denied any and all chances the Wild could muster. They blocked shots and made solid plays to clear the lanes for Miikka, who stood tall and stopped all shots that came his way during the pk. The power play was also again very good, and very blanked. It's so unfortunate as they had great sustained pressure and fantastic puck possession in the offensive zone. Iggy also was amazing managing to walk the line like that and not take the offside. Which also created a very dangerous looking chance.

Sarich has been great this game. A touch of bad luck to have your stick fall aprt like that, but the rest of theteam and Miikka were there to bail you out from a completely random happenstance. Keep on blocking everything thats shot too! Bertuzzi could not get any closer to scoring without actually scoring. You gotta feel for the guy, he gets within millimeters and still gets no luck. Cammy too has been a total force all night. Time for Iggy to step it up a notch now.

Old
12-17-2008, 09:55 PM
Leperus Leprechuan

Pieree Mcguires pre game comments were just creppy.

Dion smiles whenever I'm around him!

What a weirdo.

Old
12-17-2008, 09:56 PM
AndersEriksson*

I love Pierre! I would smile around him too

Closed Thread