HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

when do they sign?

Old
12-16-2008, 03:10 PM
Long Sky

vCash: 500
when do they sign?

I've been reading posts for the last week or so and was wondering why there is not alot of UFA talk. Gainy could solve a lot of questions if he would only sign a few players now. I hope he's not going to let 10 players walk away in June!( Souray/ Striet) If he could make 2 or 3 trades like the Rivet deal then he should go for it! Two or Three young players and 3 first rounders would be nice. Mtl with 3 or more first rounders at the draft in Mtl. would be great. The trade deadline is getting closer and I hope all Mtl. fans will be happy the next day. Hope someone has more to say on this topic .

Long Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 03:17 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Don't get your hopes up, I would be flat out shocked if Gainey did anything close to the Rivet trade, we are trying to win it all this year, I know the team hasn't been playing all that great but you don't send that kind of message imo, when you trying to win a cup.

To me, Gainey should be looking at trading guys like Fischer, Weber, Maxwell, D'Agostini, etc... if we want to compete and go far in the playoffs, now's the time to do it. I would expect him to improve our defense at some point.

I don't really care if we lose some UFA's like Dandenault, Brezzy, Lang, as long as Komisarek, Koivu and at least one of Tanguay/Kovalev is back. But I guess we'll see what happens. I would love to see Komisarek re-signed to a long contract and I expect Koivu to be back after that I have no clue what will happen.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 03:22 PM
smon

Well, seeing as how Montreal is supposed to contend this year it makes absolutely no sense to start dumping UFAs at the trade deadline. Sure, Gainey did it last year with Huet, but that had more to do with wanting Price to learn than anything else.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 03:24 PM
WeezyHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Don't get your hopes up, I would be flat out shocked if Gainey did anything close to the Rivet trade, we are trying to win it all this year, I know the team hasn't been playing all that great but you don't send that kind of message imo, when you trying to win a cup.

To me, Gainey should be looking at trading guys like Fischer, Weber, Maxwell, D'Agostini, etc... if we want to compete and go far in the playoffs, now's the time to do it. I would expect him to improve our defense at some point.

I don't really care if we lose some UFA's like Dandenault, Brezzy, Lang, as long as Komisarek, Koivu and at least one of Tanguay/Kovalev is back. But I guess we'll see what happens. I would love to see Komisarek re-signed to a long contract and I expect Koivu to be back after that I have no clue what will happen.
I think right now keeping Lang around is a must. He leads the team in goals.... and we have troubles scoring as it is...

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 03:36 PM
TheCH*

Its not as simple as to just go out a sign whoever of your ufa's you want right now. The player has to want to play here and accept financial terms. Someone like Komisarek may even want to test the market, as he could get mega bucks out there.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 03:38 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyHabFan View Post
I think right now keeping Lang around is a must. He leads the team in goals.... and we have troubles scoring as it is...
Well I don't think we would be able to keep all of Komisarek/Lang/Koivu/Tanguay/Kovalev, so for me, Lang is a guy I could do without if the others are back. If not then I could see the team trying to keep Lang. It also depends on what happens with the cap. It appears as though the cap might stay around where it is now for next year, but the following year is the big concern, so teams will have to be very careful with the cap beyond next season. So with guys like Higgins and Pleks as RFA's this summer and Price the following, Gainey's got his work cut out for him.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 03:45 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Sky View Post
I've been reading posts for the last week or so and was wondering why there is not alot of UFA talk. Gainy could solve a lot of questions if he would only sign a few players now. I hope he's not going to let 10 players walk away in June!( Souray/ Striet) If he could make 2 or 3 trades like the Rivet deal then he should go for it! Two or Three young players and 3 first rounders would be nice. Mtl with 3 or more first rounders at the draft in Mtl. would be great. The trade deadline is getting closer and I hope all Mtl. fans will be happy the next day. Hope someone has more to say on this topic .
With the economic situation, it may be wise to wait and see. I know the cap isn't expected to drop a lot next year, but the next could be very different. Owners will know this and will be prudent before giving long, expensive contracts to UFAs.

In many ways, the habs contracts and cap situation is almost perfect. We have a load of contracts coming to an end, and very few long term commitments for the future. I know people would want to keep this team together, but in another way it could be the time to look around a bit. Other teams in less than ideal situations won't have the same cap room that we will, and they won't be able/want to commit on the up and coming top of the heap UFAs. Plus, our prospect pool is well stocked, so our hands aren't tied to expensive vets, and we can afford to be patient.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 03:45 PM
CH4

Lang might simply retire at the end of the year.

We keep him for sure until then, during the summer, he is very expendable given the $$ he'll ask.

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 04:15 PM
wolfinhabsclothing

If this team doesn't fare well in the playoffs then we could see it blown up - at least partially - next year. My predictions:

Coming Back
Komisarek
Bouillon
Koivu
Tanguay
Kostopoulos

Gonzo
Brisebois
Dandenault
Kovalev
Lang
Begin

Also, I would expect one of Latendresse, Higgins, or Plekanec to not be back (or even traded later this year).

wolfinhabsclothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 04:25 PM
NewHabsEra*

IMO Komisarek has already a contract on the table, he will just sign after the season end to not make waves.. No more distraction needed this year..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 04:34 PM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
IMO Komisarek has already a contract on the table, he will just sign after the season end to not make waves.. No more distraction needed this year..
there's lots of confusion about when to sign UFAs. spector says komo can't sign before January 1st. i assume that would apply to kovy, koivu, tanguay etc

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 04:44 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinhabsclothing View Post
If this team doesn't fare well in the playoffs then we could see it blown up - at least partially - next year. My predictions:

Coming Back
Komisarek
Bouillon
Koivu
Tanguay
Kostopoulos

Gonzo
Brisebois
Dandenault
Kovalev
Lang
Begin

Also, I would expect one of Latendresse, Higgins, or Plekanec to not be back (or even traded later this year).
You really think they'll bring Bouillon back if Komisarek is signed? I doubt he'll want to split time as the #6 or #7.

Also, Brisebois will probably not be back as a player, but maybe as a coach. If he doesn't reach 1,000 games, he'll probably be back for another year in uniform.

Lang, depending on the salary expectations, may be kept.

Begin, may be kept if he takes under $1M for the season.

I agree with the rest.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 06:14 PM
j c petit
Locked-out

Coming Back:
Bouillon
Brisebois
Dandenault
Begin

Gone:
Koivu
Tanguay
Komisarek
Kostopoulos
Kovalev
Lang

j c petit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 08:07 PM
wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by j c petit View Post
Coming Back:
Bouillon
Brisebois
Dandenault
Begin

Gone:
Koivu
Tanguay
Komisarek
Kostopoulos
Kovalev
Lang
ouch.. that would hurt...

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Mad Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by j c petit View Post
Coming Back:
Bouillon
Brisebois
Dandenault
Begin

Gone:
Koivu
Tanguay
Komisarek
Kostopoulos
Kovalev
Lang
Great! Gilles Duceppe has joined the forum.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 10:52 AM
Mue

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
there's lots of confusion about when to sign UFAs. spector says komo can't sign before January 1st. i assume that would apply to kovy, koivu, tanguay etc
I thought that only applied to players who had just signed one-year deals.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 12:50 PM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post
Great! Gilles Duceppe has joined the forum.

Kind of hard not to notice that all those staying in that list just happen to share something in common, eh..

Anyhow, I agree with the consensus asofar, Lang and Kovalev are probably not coming back. Tanguay's return is hardly guaranteed either in my opinion. If he's willing to come at a reduced rate I could see it happening, but not at the salary he's getting right now. He said it himself, he's not a team's saviour but more of a complementary offensive player and he's hardly posting the numbers he did back in Colorado.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Ra
satan is my homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Sky View Post

Montreal is not reconstructing

Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 01:37 PM
The Depahted

contenders should definitely not trade away impending UFAs that have any role on the team whatsoever. last year you guys took the Huet-Price gamble and it didnt pay off come playoff time, so I wouldn't recommend anything blockbuster.

For the same reason, if the B's trade Fernandez I will flip. security in net above all things is a must

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 12-17-2008 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Don't circumvent the profanity filter.
The Depahted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 10:03 AM
Mad Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Depahted View Post
contenders should definitely not trade away impending UFAs that have any role on the team whatsoever. last year you guys took the Huet-Price gamble and it didnt pay off come playoff time, so I wouldn't recommend anything blockbuster.

For the same reason, if the B's trade Fernandez I will flip. security in net above all things is a must
Actually, Huet for Price trade wasn't much of a gamble. Gainey figured that Huet wouldn't give him much more than what Price would give him. And the experience factor was a big thing for Price. We still had Halak who didn't fare any better, but no worst.

Now if Gainey trades Halak this year, yikes, cause Denis isn't going to cut it.

In the Bruins' situation, I don't know how Rask is doing, if he's ready at all, but sooner or later, he's going to need some NHL time and he won't get that being #3. It could just be a matter of waiting until next year though.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 11:54 AM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

GM's cannot negotiate an extension to pending free agents on their rosters until January 1st.

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 12:12 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Hab_Fan View Post
GM's cannot negotiate an extension to pending free agents on their rosters until January 1st.
Is it that they can't negotiate it, or is is that they can't actually make anything official until after that date?
I'd tend to think its the latter..

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote