HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Steve Mason the real deal?

Old
01-12-2009, 10:58 AM
bhuya71

vCash: 500
can't forget hitchy's d though i guess...WHATEVER we can argue all day they are both great! but for me obviously price is right hehe

bhuya71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 11:12 AM
hossua34
Mutt

Send a message via AIM to hossua34 Send a message via Yahoo to hossua34
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuya71 View Post
WHATEVER we can argue all day they are both great!
Quoted for truthiness.

So, is there another page to this thing or is my browser just unhappy to see me?

hossua34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 04:28 PM
FrankM73

"He looked pretty damn good against us!"

Dejectedly,
the Washington Capitals

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 05:14 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
Didn't we see this with Norrena in 06-07?

Leclaire on 07-08 ?

And now mason in 08-09?

Goaltending in the NHL is about consistency. Mason (and columbus) are both playing great right now. But lets see where they are when the season is over.
Neither goalie had stats nearly as good as Mason's.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 11:15 PM
anteater90

He was a little under the weather tonight but the team came through for him. CBJ into the 8th spot.

anteater90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 11:55 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anteater90 View Post
He was a little under the weather tonight but the team came through for him. CBJ into the 8th spot.
Yeah there was one goal that was clearly terrible to let by, and he admitted it was bad, but it was just weird that the team bailed him out, for once.

He was human tonight, and sick, too, but hey, a win is a win is a win.

He gave up three tonight. Pazzy would have given up, what, six?

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:05 AM
Hilliardsw55
Johnson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Moo View Post
Yeah there was one goal that was clearly terrible to let by, and he admitted it was bad, but it was just weird that the team bailed him out, for once.

He was human tonight, and sick, too, but hey, a win is a win is a win.

He gave up three tonight. Pazzy would have given up, what, six?
Probably 7.

Hilliardsw55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:09 AM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Aurumque View Post
Neither goalie had stats nearly as good as Mason's.
My quick calculation says that's not true. Through their first 26 starts:

Mason: 16 wins, 1.80GAA, .936 save %, 6 SO
Leclaire: 13 wins, 1.91GAA, .929 save %, 7 SO

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:11 AM
Doug19

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
My quick calculation says that's not true. Through their first 26 starts:

Mason: 16 wins, 1.80GAA, .936 save %, 6 SO
Leclaire: 13 wins, 1.91GAA, .929 save %, 7 SO
Leclaire was better last year behind a better group of defenders at clearing the puck. You don't understand how many times a defender saved pazzy from a goal last year mainly Ron Hainsey just as the puck was about to cross the line. Seeing Leclaire last year and Mason this year I can easily say that Mason looks like a much better and calmer goaltender.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:14 AM
milbs06

isn't it a bit early to tell? shouldn't we wait at least after a full season of him trying to play 60+ games?

milbs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:15 AM
Doug19

Quote:
Originally Posted by milbs06 View Post
isn't it a bit early to tell? shouldn't we wait at least after a full season of him trying to play 60+ games?
echo...echoooooooo. And yes, yes we should.

Old
01-14-2009, 12:22 AM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRiffle View Post
Leclaire was better last year behind a better group of defenders at clearing the puck. You don't understand how many times a defender saved pazzy from a goal last year mainly Ron Hainsey just as the puck was about to cross the line. Seeing Leclaire last year and Mason this year I can easily say that Mason looks like a much better and calmer goaltender.
Columbus' offense has improved markedly this year, and that takes care of any advantage/disadvantage from a different defense. Leclaire was great last year, and people were jumping on his bandwagon just like they are with Mason this year. Now that's not to say Mason won't keep it up (I'd say he will for the most part), but NHL fans have seen this before recently. You can't ignore it. The mark of a great goaltender is consistency. We can praise him now, but the hype is getting a little crazy.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 01:09 AM
Doug19

Quote:
Columbus' offense has improved markedly this year, and that takes care of any advantage/disadvantage from a different defense. Leclaire was great last year, and people were jumping on his bandwagon just like they are with Mason this year. Now that's not to say Mason won't keep it up (I'd say he will for the most part), but NHL fans have seen this before recently. You can't ignore it. The mark of a great goaltender is consistency. We can praise him now, but the hype is getting a little crazy.
From the calculations I just did quickly his offense you speak of which I could have told you without looking up the numbers is non-existent. His team averages a whopping 2.38 goals per game he plays. That means CBJ is the 29th best offense in the league when he is in goal. So I'm curious how that offense off-sets the defense Leclaire had last year at saving his but. What some of you aren't understanding Mason is winning the games and keeping his team in games, his offense has never bailed him out until tonight. Want a good stat? In his 10 losses (including the OT loss) his offense has scored a whopping 1.1 goals per game. Again, what offense? I understand as bystanders you can stand back and just judge and say the situations are similar to last year when in fact they are not, and it's not close. Leclaire got his "fame" off of his shutouts, Mason is getting his off the fact he is shutting down teams game in and game out. Listen I'm not saying Mr. Mason has to be considered the "real deal" yet by people around here, but I definitely believe he is and I have confidence he isn't a one year wonder. Leclaire isn't a one year wonder himself either though. He has been injured all year which I believe definitely contributed to his bad statistics.

Old
01-14-2009, 04:05 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
One only needs to look at the way both Pazzy and Mason play to determine who is better.

Pazzy's game is based on quick legs and reflexes and not much else. If you watch Pazzy play, you will notice that he is mostly good at stopping the first shot, but after that, he is rarely in any kind of position to make the 2nd. If he does, it is because of the aforementioned. Kind of lucky in the end. Most often (especially this year) Pazzy ends up on his butt and the goal ends up being scored into an empty net.

Pazzy relies heavily on angles, and plays far above his crease, only problem is, the way teams attack now (post lockout) is much different. Teams come at you with more speed and there is more east/west passing than there once was. Because Pazzy isn't strong in terms of technique, he gets roasted.

Mason has a solid technical foundation and is very strong positionally. He has his weaknesses (which I won't reveal ) but after the first save, he is in such good position, the 2nd shot normally just hits him. He is also MUCH better with rebound control. Often pucks stick right to him.

I don't know what the numbers were for Pazzy to this point in last season, but it doesn't require numbers to determine which is the more sound goalie.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 04:13 AM
Catamo
NHL2com League

vCash: 1171
People. I have come to share a message with you.

Steve Mason is god.

My Proof? I have come to realize that in my existence, that I am God. I suspect Steve Mason is also god because we came to this earth on the exact same day.

Powerful forces are at work here people.

Catamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 04:18 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRiffle View Post
From the calculations I just did quickly his offense you speak of which I could have told you without looking up the numbers is non-existent. His team averages a whopping 2.38 goals per game he plays. That means CBJ is the 29th best offense in the league when he is in goal. So I'm curious how that offense off-sets the defense Leclaire had last year at saving his but. What some of you aren't understanding Mason is winning the games and keeping his team in games, his offense has never bailed him out until tonight. Want a good stat? In his 10 losses (including the OT loss) his offense has scored a whopping 1.1 goals per game. Again, what offense? I understand as bystanders you can stand back and just judge and say the situations are similar to last year when in fact they are not, and it's not close. Leclaire got his "fame" off of his shutouts, Mason is getting his off the fact he is shutting down teams game in and game out. Listen I'm not saying Mr. Mason has to be considered the "real deal" yet by people around here, but I definitely believe he is and I have confidence he isn't a one year wonder. Leclaire isn't a one year wonder himself either though. He has been injured all year which I believe definitely contributed to his bad statistics.
I know the point you are trying to make, but you are making it out like the jackets are a pitiful bunch outside of Mason. Typically when teams lose games it is because they don't score enough isn't it?

Although the jackets aren't exactly a scoring juggernaut, their offensive output IS better this year than last overall. In the 6 shutout's that Mason has had, they have scored 16 goals. Not great, but not terrible. Most of the shutouts have been of the 3-0 variety. Chances are if they don't get the shutout they still get the win.

Point I am trying to make is that the jackets 5 on 5 play is 5th best in the league only behind (in no particular order): Chicago, NJ, Detroit, and Boston. That is all around play, not just goals against.

Although Mason has bailed us out a few times, (SJ game at home and 1st period in Washington) it isn't like he is having to stand on his head night in and night out. He is giving the jackets a chance to win every night (which is the job of the goalie, no?) and they have mostly been stepping up and doing so.

Credit for the success of the team goes all around.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:16 PM
Doug19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
I know the point you are trying to make, but you are making it out like the jackets are a pitiful bunch outside of Mason. Typically when teams lose games it is because they don't score enough isn't it?

Although the jackets aren't exactly a scoring juggernaut, their offensive output IS better this year than last overall. In the 6 shutout's that Mason has had, they have scored 16 goals. Not great, but not terrible. Most of the shutouts have been of the 3-0 variety. Chances are if they don't get the shutout they still get the win.

Point I am trying to make is that the jackets 5 on 5 play is 5th best in the league only behind (in no particular order): Chicago, NJ, Detroit, and Boston. That is all around play, not just goals against.

Although Mason has bailed us out a few times, (SJ game at home and 1st period in Washington) it isn't like he is having to stand on his head night in and night out. He is giving the jackets a chance to win every night (which is the job of the goalie, no?) and they have mostly been stepping up and doing so.

Credit for the success of the team goes all around.
That was the main point I was trying to make when it came to Mason vs Leclaire. I just had to prove a point that the Jackets offense is not much "improved" over last year.

Old
01-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Tailspin711

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLArenaGuide View Post
You left out the Holy Ghost.
Blaspheme.

"Steve Mason.. saving my hockey pool, one shut-out at a time"

Tailspin711 is offline   Reply With Quote