Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Backlund NA Bound?

Old
12-18-2008, 12:51 AM
flamesfan12

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Backlund NA Bound?

http://blog.canoe.ca/flames

Looks like Backlund's club isn't pleased with his play and he may be coming to North America sooner then later. I definetly don't think it would be a bad thing for him to go to the Dub or to join Quad Cities. Seems like he isn't getting the icetime needed in Vasteras. Could be an interesting story after Christmas and after the junior tournament.

Here's the google translation btw.

http://translate.google.com/translat...45&sl=sv&tl=en

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 01:39 AM
eb_87

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan12 View Post
http://blog.canoe.ca/flames

Looks like Backlund's club isn't pleased with his play and he may be coming to North America sooner then later. I definetly don't think it would be a bad thing for him to go to the Dub or to join Quad Cities. Seems like he isn't getting the icetime needed in Vasteras. Could be an interesting story after Christmas and after the junior tournament.

Here's the google translation btw.

http://translate.google.com/translat...45&sl=sv&tl=en
I hope he stays in NA and plays in the dub. Not only could we keep a closer watch on his development but he would play a lot more.

eb_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 01:58 AM
serratedmuffin

His play isn't good enough, and sending him to the Dub will definitely help build his confidence back up and then another strong camp in Calgary will hopefully bring the play (and the #'s) back up to where he should be.

serratedmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 10:31 AM
DuklaNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by serratedmuffin View Post
His play isn't good enough, and sending him to the Dub will definitely help build his confidence back up and then another strong camp in Calgary will hopefully bring the play (and the #'s) back up to where he should be.
I said back in training camp that he needed to be in the WHL to develop properly. Hes stuck behind a lot of guys on his club team and getting no PT. I think its unfair at this point to say his 'play isnt good enough'. Its politics.

Good move for Backlund and will provide a better gauge as to where he stands progression wise. Back in training camp he seemed tentative. Not unlike Berglund last year. However, Berglund has taken off big time now.

DuklaNation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 12:09 PM
The Gaud Father

vCash: 50
Just like what I said last year.

Backlund would be better off in the WHL. He would be playing a lot more games and a lot more ice time per game. He would develop confidence and get used to the North Amercian style of hockey and be ready for the Quad Cities.

The Gaud Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 01:47 PM
AndersEriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
I said back in training camp that he needed to be in the WHL to develop properly. Hes stuck behind a lot of guys on his club team and getting no PT. I think its unfair at this point to say his 'play isnt good enough'. Its politics.

Good move for Backlund and will provide a better gauge as to where he stands progression wise. Back in training camp he seemed tentative. Not unlike Berglund last year. However, Berglund has taken off big time now.
Umm... Berglund was by far the best player in the league last year. There is no way they can even be compared at this point.

Backlund is years away from being an NHL player. Anyone who saw him play last year knew that coming into this season.

As for being buried behind a lot of guys in Västerås: He's not buried behind anyone. If he was good enough he would be on the top line. He's just having a horrible year, a year in which he hasn't taken a single step forward from his play last year. If he was comparable to Berglund he would have taken on some of the responsibilities and scoring Berglund carried last year. That hasn't happened.

Bottom line is this isn't politics. They aren't refusing to give him ice-time or what ever other excuse you want to find for his lack of scoring. He has sucked. Pure and simple.

AndersEriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 02:40 PM
Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersEriksson View Post
Bottom line is this isn't politics. They aren't refusing to give him ice-time or what ever other excuse you want to find for his lack of scoring. He has sucked. Pure and simple.
Maybe...maybe not. I think we all have to wait and see.

Quote:
Flames GM Darryl Sutter didn't want to comment on the record about it at last night's game in Minnesota.

Nor did Backlund's agent, Calgary-based J.P. Barry, who said he wanted to look into the story further to find out what's going on, since the translated version and word of mouth from people he knows overseas didn't clear up the matter.
http://calsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Hockey...89051-sun.html

Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 02:57 PM
AndersEriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
Maybe...maybe not. I think we all have to wait and see.
What would politics have to do with it? Do people in Canada think the club is losing on purpose and therefore refuse to play Backlund because he would win games for them if he got to play 25 minutes a night?

Old
12-18-2008, 03:14 PM
Hyde

Quote:
What would politics have to do with it? Do people in Canada think the club is losing on purpose and therefore refuse to play Backlund because he would win games for them if he got to play 25 minutes a night?
Look AE, we have no idea what the circumstances are surrounding this report and what it really means. So as I said we just have to wait to hear from JP Barry (though I hear he is busy with another Swede), Sutter and Backlund.

Bottom line is you don't speak for Västerås you can't say what they doing or not doing you can only guess...just like eveyone else.

Old
12-18-2008, 03:38 PM
AndersEriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
Look AE, we have no idea what the circumstances are surrounding this report and what it really means. So as I said we just have to wait to hear from JP Barry (though I hear he is busy with another Swede), Sutter and Backlund.

Bottom line is you don't speak for Västerås you can't say what they doing or not doing you can only guess...just like eveyone else.
Look H, Västerås has been extremely clear in Swedish press about this. Backlund hasn't been good enough and unless he has a strong WJC and plays well for the club when he returns, he likely wont be part of their team.

So what's the great mystery? Or do you need someone Canadian to repeat what I just said before you can believe?

Old
12-18-2008, 04:02 PM
Hyde

Quote:
Look H, Västerås has been extremely clear in Swedish press about this. Backlund hasn't been good enough and unless he has a strong WJC and plays well for the club when he returns, he likely wont be part of their team.

So what's the great mystery? Or do you need someone Canadian to repeat what I just said before you can believe?

No I don't need a Canadian to repeat anything, I want to hear want J.P Berry, Sutter and Backlund have to say. What is wrong with wanting to hear from everyone?

Old
12-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Lunatik*

as for Backlund... if this story is true I wouldn't be overly shocked... I think he is at least a couple years from being NHL ready... and quite frankly I think he is completely over hyped by Flames fans because Backlund had 1 good tournament last year... I will not even be shocked if in 2 years people are labeling him a bust like Chucko

Last edited by Hyde: 12-18-2008 at 09:36 PM. Reason: blah
Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 05:58 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
as for Backlund... if this story is true I wouldn't be overly shocked... I think he is at least a couple years from being NHL ready... and quite frankly I think he is completely over hyped by Flames fans because Backlund had 1 good tournament last year... I will not even be shocked if in 2 years people are labeling him a bust like Chucko
Hahaha well I always wondered why him staying in Sweden would help him into the game this side of the pond to be honest. So, I look forward to hearing all the info and see if he suits up in the WHA and eventually AHL. The team is by no means desperate for his services now so it si really no big deal. Team depth is solid and every time a kid comes up they perform well.... so no need to freak out or rush Backlund IMO

Last edited by Hyde: 12-19-2008 at 11:34 AM. Reason: removed deleted part
GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 05:03 AM
calgarylen13

Quote:
Umm... Berglund was by far the best player in the league last year. There is no way they can even be compared at this point.

Backlund is years away from being an NHL player. Anyone who saw him play last year knew that coming into this season.

As for being buried behind a lot of guys in Västerås: He's not buried behind anyone. If he was good enough he would be on the top line. He's just having a horrible year, a year in which he hasn't taken a single step forward from his play last year. If he was comparable to Berglund he would have taken on some of the responsibilities and scoring Berglund carried last year. That hasn't happened.

Couldn't've said it better myself. Though I might've leant towards Calle Söderberg being the best in the league, that could just be my Malmö bias...Berglund certainly controlled the ice better than Calle.
Backlund just simply has not been good enough this year. He has every opportunity to earn a spot on the first line, they had him pencilled in there to take over Berglunds role at the club. He hasn't lived up to their standards, or played well enough to justify being put there. For example, how would we feel as Flames fans if Wayne Primeau was put on the first line and left there just on a principle of 'that was the plan at the start of the year'? I for one wouldn't be impressed.

calgarylen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 02:13 PM
DuklaNation

Quote:

I can compare $100 to $50 as 2:1. As I can $50 to $25 as 2:1. The 2nd is not as good but the ratio is the same. Is this how they teach math in Sweden?

As far as his club team goes, it appears they have some older more productive forwards on the team which can limit a young guy's ice time. Sure if Backlund was Ovechkin, it wouldnt matter. But it does matter with some players. Some guys play better 'tired' and/or with better linemates. Some guys develop more slowly than others as well.

I said before, it would be better for him to be in the WHL as it would provide a better barometer as to his current status of development.

As far as politics goes, every organization of every kind in the world has politics. Unless you're in the inside, you have zero clue about what is going on. For you to say otherwise, makes you either an idiot, a liar, or just insane.

At any rate, I hope he plays in the WHL and then we can see for ourselves where he is at. If AE thinks he sucks, so be it. Dont make up BS comments to justify your opinion.

DuklaNation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 04:58 PM
JorgeRocks!

Interesting. Quad City Flames could definitely use something, seeing as how they are the 4th worst team in the AHL, but if he is truly struggling in the Swedish Elite league, the whl is the way to go. I believe Kelowna has his dub rights, and there are off to a strong year, and if quad cities does move to abbotsford next year, he can stay relatively close to where he was and get some seasoning. but from what i saw on tsn during the preseason, he is definitely not nhl ready, and does not need to be rushed. The earliest i could see him making the lineup would be 2010, and maybe a cup of coffee next year.
I would not lable him a bust. I remember the Mac Mac Midget tournament in 2005, where he was the MVP, playing on the same team as Oscar Moller. (Moller was the team captain.) Moller as we all know in the NHL with L.A, and on pace for 16 goals and 34 points.

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 06:17 PM
Snauen*

Quote:
but if he is truly struggling in the Swedish Elite league
Not, 'the struggling' is in a league below the Swedish Elite league

Snauen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 10:54 PM
AndersEriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
I can compare $100 to $50 as 2:1. As I can $50 to $25 as 2:1. The 2nd is not as good but the ratio is the same. Is this how they teach math in Sweden?

As far as his club team goes, it appears they have some older more productive forwards on the team which can limit a young guy's ice time. Sure if Backlund was Ovechkin, it wouldnt matter. But it does matter with some players. Some guys play better 'tired' and/or with better linemates. Some guys develop more slowly than others as well.

I said before, it would be better for him to be in the WHL as it would provide a better barometer as to his current status of development.

As far as politics goes, every organization of every kind in the world has politics. Unless you're in the inside, you have zero clue about what is going on. For you to say otherwise, makes you either an idiot, a liar, or just insane.

At any rate, I hope he plays in the WHL and then we can see for ourselves where he is at. If AE thinks he sucks, so be it. Dont make up BS comments to justify your opinion.
Thanks for the math lesson. Can't say I understood any of it. I'm sure your point was really good though. You being so clever and all.

As for the bolded part, exactly. None of you wise guys have seen **** of his play. People in Sweden very likely have seen him (live AND on TV).

I love how you MOD EDIT: Offensiveyour opinions 100% better than the opinions of people who have actually seen him play and follow the Allsvenskan league VERY closely. MOD EDIT:Offensive

We don't get 1 horribly translated report on Backlund per year. In Sweden, we actually have news coverage of the Västerås team and Allsvenskan league EVERY SINGLE DAY! We've also got tv-coverage of the Allsvenskan games to watch AND some of us regularly go watch games live as well.

But since we're NOT Canadian we obviously don't have the brains to come up with a single intelligent thought eh?

As for Swedish prospects moving to Canada to play at a young age: sure worked out for Niklas Bergfors eh? Compare his development to that of Patrik Berglund and I'm sure we can all agree that just getting a player under the tutilage of Canadian coaches instead of playing in Västerås guarantees success.

MOD EDIT:Offensive

And it's not just MY opinions. It's the opinion of his coach, his GM, most hockey fans in Sweden, most hockey writers in Sweden and pretty much everyone else that matters. You don't matter, and neither do any of your opinions.

MOD EDIT:Offensive
And nobody is labelling him a bust. He's struggling. He's 19. He's not 26 which is the cut-off date on whether or not you are going to succeed or not.

Last edited by Hyde: 12-20-2008 at 11:33 PM. Reason: edited
Old
12-19-2008, 10:54 PM
abracanada

I believe the kid resents the coaching/management and his attitude likely sucks there consequently, his play sucks. I feel the team has been fairly critical of Backlund as well. I would not be surprised to see him light it up again at the WJC. And if he does move on to another organization, I would not be surprised to see him do extremely well as opposed to the way he plays there.

I guess we will see soon enough.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 11:35 PM
serratedmuffin

AndersEriksson relax buddy. He's not doing so hot where he is right now, so bringing him to the WHL to try and boost his confidence isn't something you should get your panties in a twist. You claim how we dont call it reliable and then mention how it's "1 horribly translated report on Backlund". Clearly things are not working out for him there, so maybe a change of scenery will make things better. Nobody is disputing that you see more of him. That doesn't make you any more of a scout than us, and this is the internet. Getting so worked up seems kinda silly doesn't it?

Old
12-20-2008, 12:10 AM
The Gaud Father

vCash: 50
Wow, someone needs a chill pill. Relax man. You ain't getting paid and your life doesn't depend on you defending your opinion on Backlund. Go outside and play some hockey or even watch some Allsvenskan games. Jesus man.

The Gaud Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 12:51 AM
abracanada

Well, those Svenska's take the game seriously I would say. Even more than us Canuckleheads.

Anyway, here is an interview Backlund gave. It sounds like they are switching up the lines regularly and Backlund implies he has not found his role for the team yet. Sounds like he looks forward to the WJC.

Match him up with players who can finish then we will see how it turns out.

http://translate.google.com/translat...istory_state0=

Have to wonder how bedrooms got into the conversation though.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 04:45 AM
calgarylen13

Quote:
Originally Posted by serratedmuffin View Post
AndersEriksson relax buddy. He's not doing so hot where he is right now, so bringing him to the WHL to try and boost his confidence isn't something you should get your panties in a twist. You claim how we dont call it reliable and then mention how it's "1 horribly translated report on Backlund". Clearly things are not working out for him there, so maybe a change of scenery will make things better. Nobody is disputing that you see more of him. That doesn't make you any more of a scout than us, and this is the internet. Getting so worked up seems kinda silly doesn't it?
I actually agree with Anders once again. A person living in Sweden makes a comment and its below that of a badly translated report. I have personally seen Backlund live 3 times, and on tv many many more playing. He has been given opportunities. The impression I get, and for this abracanada might be touching on the point, is his attitude. I think he might have the mentality 'i was selected early in the draft so i'm more talented than the Swedish 2nd division', and hence thinks he can slack off. The coach recognizes this, and the fact he is NOT performing, and drops him down a few lines. I can't blame him, as you have to earn your position on the ice, and that goes all the way from pee-wee hockey to NHL. Where you are right is a move to the WHL/AHL he would have to make the effort to perform again, and probably could. He has the skill, just doesn't use it. I also see this as a long term problem with Backlund (eg. Huselius), skilled, streaky, and gets lazy when he feels confident (instead of pushing himself every night like Iginla).

I also think his 'disagreement with the management' is that he feels he should be guaranteed things without working for them. Västerås coach said at the start of the season Backlund was pencilled in for the first line. First game back in Sweden, vs Malmö (my team), he was on the first line, saw many minutes and didn't do much at all. No doubting his skill, but he wasn't using it. They lost 1-6, and he wasn't on the ice for the goal that was scored. After that i'm not sure which line he was for the next few games, but with players like Arlbrandt scoring at 2 points a game, (at best he'll be a career Allsvenskan player), compared to Backlunds less than half point a game average, you can understand quite quickly why he is on the 3rd line once again.

Maybe the move will help him, but someone really needs to give him a kick up the bum and change his attitude.

calgarylen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 03:02 PM
*OvechKiN*

The only time I get to see Backlund play is in international tournaments and during the Flames pre-season/training camp.
He seems impressive in the international tournaments, but didn't standout during pre-season.

Having said that, ignoring all the raves and reviews that Tavares and Hodgson are getting after the first game vs. Sweden, I honestly thought that Backlund was the most dangerous Swede on the ice and pretty close to Hodgson in that game.
Biggest difference that left him not talked about was that he wasn't playing for team Canada, and he just missed the net 3-4 times (i counted) after he created great scoring chances for himself by trying to pick the top corner too much.
(Maybe rust on his accuracy from limited play time?)

Anyhow, he is Sweden's top center at this WJC tournament, and I expect a big tourney from him. Homer glasses aside, he honestly didn't pale in comparison to Hodgson. Tavares on the other hand actually looked a notch above the 2.

Oh, and for those interested, Aulie was invisible.....which i guess is not a bad thing for a defensive defensemen. But I didn't notice him at all (literally) as you think you would a bit because of his size and supposed mean streak.
Hell, Angelo Esposito was hitting everything in sight!
lol

Last edited by *OvechKiN*: 12-20-2008 at 03:33 PM.
*OvechKiN* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 03:17 PM
serratedmuffin

almost slightly off-topic. I missed the game yesterday, any chance I can watch a replay online? I wanna form my own opinion on backlund and aulie's play.