HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Never saw this mentioned but apparently Lowe was trailing VKoz

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2004, 04:36 PM
Matts

vCash: 500
Never saw this mentioned but apparently Lowe was trailing VKoz

but couldn't bite because he was concussed. I checked the Devs Box last night wondering if he was playing centre and how many min he played and he wasn't there and then Matheson this morning said he's concussed and that's why Lowe didn't bite.

So I'm glad that at least Lowe was looking at him because liek I said before, the Oilers coudl've made a comparable offer to what NJ did. And he would've been small market affordable to boot,

So good on Lowe that he was hot on his trail and if Nedved walks and VKoz doesn't impress in NJ or Lou doesn'twant to pay him, he could be in Edm for next season

Last edited by Matts: 03-04-2004 at 04:56 PM.
Old
03-04-2004, 06:18 PM
PigeonCamera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
but couldn't bite because he was concussed. I checked the Devs Box last night wondering if he was playing centre and how many min he played and he wasn't there and then Matheson this morning said he's concussed and that's why Lowe didn't bite.

So I'm glad that at least Lowe was looking at him because liek I said before, the Oilers coudl've made a comparable offer to what NJ did. And he would've been small market affordable to boot,

So good on Lowe that he was hot on his trail and if Nedved walks and VKoz doesn't impress in NJ or Lou doesn'twant to pay him, he could be in Edm for next season
Of the two players (Nedved and Kozlov) I probably would have preferred Kozlov, just because he's a bit younger and we might have been able to hold on to him longer...plus, he's got a bit more upside than Nedved. The Oilers definitely couldn't afford to take a chance on him not coming back healthy or 100%.

I'm still happy with the way things worked out though.

Old
03-04-2004, 08:07 PM
Mr Sakich

the one thing about the oiler org is that they are very professional. You never hear rumours from their camp, things just sort of happen. Even obvious deals like yesterday are a complete surprise. Contrast this with the leafs. I think some GM won't even talk to the leafs because they may as well put it in the Hockey News.

Old
03-04-2004, 08:11 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Nedved sounds like a much better centre than Kozlov, from what I have read.

Old
03-04-2004, 08:25 PM
Hemmer

Yeah, with Kozlov's inconsistency and Nedved's proven chemistry with players already in our system, I take Nedved 4/5 times anyway.

Old
03-04-2004, 08:49 PM
Matts

I like Nedved

but I'd take Kozlov because he could be cheaper for the next two years.

And as far as the Oilers being professional well Nedved's name was in both Matheson and Garrioch's coulumns so it wasn';t like the Oilers had the Maxwell Smart cone of silence out PLUS Niinimaa and Carter were rumored to be going a solid two weeks before they left town last year.

and it's not like Ferguson is out there talking about teams every day. there are lots of rumors out of TO because there are more media there and bvecause they have money, no player is out of their reach so they can talk about acquiring them all becasue they have the money to handle the contracts and now with Antripov, Stajan and Carlo C, they have the prospects to dangle as well

It's apples and oranges, man

Old
03-04-2004, 09:44 PM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
but I'd take Kozlov because he could be cheaper for the next two years.

And as far as the Oilers being professional well Nedved's name was in both Matheson and Garrioch's coulumns so it wasn';t like the Oilers had the Maxwell Smart cone of silence out PLUS Niinimaa and Carter were rumored to be going a solid two weeks before they left town last year.

and it's not like Ferguson is out there talking about teams every day. there are lots of rumors out of TO because there are more media there and bvecause they have money, no player is out of their reach so they can talk about acquiring them all becasue they have the money to handle the contracts and now with Antripov, Stajan and Carlo C, they have the prospects to dangle as well

It's apples and oranges, man
so you are saying that this trade wasn't out of left field? You are a very smart man if you knew it was coming. In hindsight, it was such an obvious trade but it still took everyone by surprise.

As for Garrioch talking about it, he has traded every player to every team so far this year. The law of averages says he must be right once in a while. Even a broken watch....

Old
03-04-2004, 09:49 PM
Matts

I'm saying

two columnists mentioned Nedved to Edm so, no, this wasn't one that came without rumour like the Guerin/Carter deal.

Old
03-04-2004, 11:04 PM
Mr Sakich

I guess I am a little slow on the uptake because it sure surprised me.

Old
03-05-2004, 01:04 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
It shocked me -even though I've said for months he'd be a perfect fit.

Old
03-05-2004, 01:35 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50

I wish you guys got him because I highly doubt the rangers would have traded nedved to new jersey

Old
03-05-2004, 10:31 AM
J.Money

Had you read Matheson's piece...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
I guess I am a little slow on the uptake because it sure surprised me.

I wouldn't have been a surprise. That's the point Matts is making.

The only total surprise trade that I can remember Lowe making was the Guerin/Carter swap. That one was a total out of left field shocker.

Old
03-05-2004, 11:47 AM
copperandblue

I'm not suggesting that it's impossible for leaks to come out of the Oilers office BUT at the same time there are soemtimes up to three parties that usually know about what's on the table.

In this case there is the Oilers, who publically at least are usually tight lipped. The Rangers, that seem to have every trade out in the public two week before they actually happen.
Then sometimes there are the agents that are informed prior to the deal due to contract issues or what have you.

Basically if two people have a secret they both have to keep it so I am not sure it's all that fair to suggest that only one party is responsible when no one is revealling their source.

Think back to the Comrie deal, it was Winter AND Murray who came out with public statements about Comrie going to Anaheim and Edmonton was still denying it.

Old
03-05-2004, 12:19 PM
Mr Sakich

as for any leaks on the nedved trade, I think it was just a case of Matheson seeing the rangers dumping players, the oilers needing a centre, and the trade history between slats and Lowe. The Ranger centres were Holik, Lindros, Jagr, Messier, and Nedved so it isn't had to figure who Lowe would want. It was an easy conclusion to reach without any inside information. I am guessing that Garrioch just repeated what Matheson said.

By far and away, the biggest fact supporting my theory is this: If matheson had any inside info, he would have known about Jussi being part of the deal. IMO, the oilers were, once again, completey quiet about their dealings until it was done.

Old
03-05-2004, 02:07 PM
oilersrule14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
as for any leaks on the nedved trade, I think it was just a case of Matheson seeing the rangers dumping players, the oilers needing a centre, and the trade history between slats and Lowe. The Ranger centres were Holik, Lindros, Jagr, Messier, and Nedved so it isn't had to figure who Lowe would want. It was an easy conclusion to reach without any inside information. I am guessing that Garrioch just repeated what Matheson said.

By far and away, the biggest fact supporting my theory is this: If matheson had any inside info, he would have known about Jussi being part of the deal. IMO, the oilers were, once again, completey quiet about their dealings until it was done.
Well Syd Smith on overtime openline, the day before the trade went down, said that the oilers were talking about nedved during a call-in. He could have assumed everything you said up there, but then he wouldn't have said that the oilers were talking. The no mention of Jussi could just be because there was no mention of Jussi from the source. However, despite all the mentions of Nedved, I was still completely shocked to find out that we had bought instead of sold.

Old
03-05-2004, 05:16 PM
barto

The fact that we got Nedved wasn't a complete surprise or shock to me since it had been speculated a few times here and in the paper as a guy that might work here, but I daresay NO ONE had heard or speculated on Markkanen coming back here... And Lowe has since said that the deal would NOT have happened without Jussi being part of it (after hearing that Ty would be out for another week or longer).

I believe that the Oilers org is better at keeping quiet on things, but no organization can be 100% perfect on that, just due to the numbers of people in the org that would know some of the names being pursued or watched...and there are always reporters looking to see which teams have scouts in attendance, then looking at the rosters to see who might be of interest, etc.

Bart

Last edited by barto: 03-05-2004 at 05:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old
03-05-2004, 05:17 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
The fact that we got Nedved wasn't a complete surprise or shock to me since it had been speculated a few times here and in the paper as a guy that might work here, but I daresay NO ONE had heard or speculated on Markkanen coming back here... And Lowe has since said that the deal would NOT have happened without Jussi being part of it (after hearing that Ty would be out for another week or longer).
I hoped...does that count?

Old
03-05-2004, 05:27 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit
I hoped...does that count?
Only if you did it "out loud"... Got a post to prove it???

Bart

Old
03-05-2004, 06:05 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
Only if you did it "out loud"... Got a post to prove it???

Bart
I'm pretty new to this board, but I remember posting it on the MB on www.edmontonoilers.com. I'll see if I can find it for you.

:edit: Okay, I looked, but I couldn't find it. It was a while ago, and I didn't realize how many posts I actually had over there (man, those post-counts can really creep up on you). You'll just have to trust me, or think I'm a liar...Either way, I'm not going to keep looking for my post.

Last edited by misfit: 03-05-2004 at 06:55 PM.
Old
03-05-2004, 08:24 PM
t0mf00lery

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit
I'm pretty new to this board, but I remember posting it on the MB on www.edmontonoilers.com. I'll see if I can find it for you.

:edit: Okay, I looked, but I couldn't find it. It was a while ago, and I didn't realize how many posts I actually had over there (man, those post-counts can really creep up on you). You'll just have to trust me, or think I'm a liar...Either way, I'm not going to keep looking for my post.
There are a lot of us who used to be at the MB at edmontonoilers.com who have switched to HFboards. Glad you joined us.

Old
03-05-2004, 10:20 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

two words for viktor kozlov injury prone. i was happy that lowe would not deal for this guy, no doubt he has the skill but he has not shown the desire. not saying nedved does but lowe is a cerebral kind of guy, dvorak had his best years playing beside him.

Closed Thread