HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What will happen to Redden?

View Poll Results: What will the future hold for Redden?
He will be waived. 3 2.38%
He will be bought out la Yashin. 10 7.94%
He will be traded. 10 7.94%
Will straighten it out and only be considered overpaid. 52 41.27%
Continue to be an albatross, but Sather is stubborn. 51 40.48%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-18-2008, 09:17 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unk View Post
Tampa Bay took Marek Malik, so apparently there was a market for him.
Tampa Bay signed Malik for $1.25M. he was under contract with us for double that.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 11:33 PM
John Torturella

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Tampa Bay signed Malik for $1.25M. he was under contract with us for double that.
Funny (well maybe not funny) thing is that Redden=Malik but paid 6 times more over 5 more years.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 12:26 AM
DrewN

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Yikes, scary accurate

DrewN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 12:36 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by swervedriver82 View Post
Yikes, scary accurate
It's accurate, but I thought much of this was common knowledge.

One thing though... he's on pace for about 35-40 points, and that's without Heatley, Spezza and Alfreddson, so at least we know that his stats weren't completely inflated by those three.

If he finishes with 40 points and a +/- of 0, would you guys still hate him?

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 12:47 AM
TrueBlueNorwegian

So what exactly happens cap wise for the Rangers if he is bought out of the deal??
I assume some of it will still count against our cap for a few years??

TrueBlueNorwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 01:16 AM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
For a Dman getting paid $6.5m, I wouldn't hate him but wouldn't be pleased either. I know +/- is a flawed stat, but being a 0 isn't exactly a good thing. Girardi has more points, plays a more solid defensive game and is at $1.5m now, although a raise is coming soon, it will be nowhere close to Rozi or Redden.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 01:37 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueNorwegian View Post
So what exactly happens cap wise for the Rangers if he is bought out of the deal??
I assume some of it will still count against our cap for a few years??
As far as the cap hit goes, it's 2/3 of the remaining salary paid out over 2x the length of the deal. You don't even have to do the math to figure out it'll really hurt. Not something that should even be considered until the last 2 years of his contract at the very least.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 06:30 AM
pld459666

I thought the signing of Redden was a good one initially. I was thinking that maybe his struggles with Ottawa were just a bad spell (yes I know it was 2 years in a row) but I was thinking, hoping, that a change of scenery would have done some good.

The truth of the matter is that the game is to fast for him. He can't defend against players with speed as he gets beat to often. He's not a physical player and gets man-handled on a regular basis by opposing forwards both big and small. He's not offensive enough on the PP to make up for those shortcomings.

Redden is the perfect defenceman to have during a time in this game when defence ruled the roost. When teams could hold, hook and obstruct with wanton abandon and not get called for it. Redden in today's NHL is no better than a 2nd/3rd pairing guy.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 06:41 AM
Duponttime*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I thought the signing of Redden was a good one initially. I was thinking that maybe his struggles with Ottawa were just a bad spell (yes I know it was 2 years in a row) but I was thinking, hoping, that a change of scenery would have done some good.

The truth of the matter is that the game is to fast for him. He can't defend against players with speed as he gets beat to often. He's not a physical player and gets man-handled on a regular basis by opposing forwards both big and small. He's not offensive enough on the PP to make up for those shortcomings.

Redden is the perfect defenceman to have during a time in this game when defence ruled the roost. When teams could hold, hook and obstruct with wanton abandon and not get called for it. Redden in today's NHL is no better than a 2nd/3rd pairing guy.

Gimme me a break. At no point has the game ever looked too fast for Redden. His major problem is he has to play on the PP with that idiot Rosival who makes everybody look bad. Redden has been fine. It's hard to show offensive skills as a defenseman when your forwards stink offensively and your PP partner is clueless.

Duponttime* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 07:18 AM
Chimp

If Orr could so dramatically improve his skating, so can Redden. There's no way he can continue to look so clumpsy and slow out there.

As for "if he achieves 40 pts and is a +/- 0", I won't hate Redden as a person, but I will still hate his contract. That's still not even close to worth $6.5 million a year. It pains to see Staal and Girardi are twice the defensemen Redden is.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 07:25 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
If Orr could so dramatically improve his skating, so can Redden. There's no way he can continue to look so clumpsy and slow out there.

As for "ff he achieves 40 pts and is a +/- 0", I won't hate Redden as a person, but I will still hate his contract. That's still not even close to worth $6.5 million a year.
Yeah, but who said he was worth 6.5 million? It's not his fault Sather drank a little bit too much coffee that day and threw him that ridiculous contract. Now Redden will constantly get booed if he doesn't play like Lidstrom every game, whereas Sather will sit comfortably in his mansion without probably a single worry.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 07:32 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Yeah, but who said he was worth 6.5 million? It's not his fault Sather drank a little bit too much coffee that day and threw him that ridiculous contract. Now Redden will constantly get booed if he doesn't play like Lidstrom every game, whereas Sather will sit comfortably in his mansion without probably a single worry.
Agreed.

All I want from Redden is the best output he can provide. If he were to put up 40-45 points every year here I would absolve him. I actually think he's done a better job on the PP (minus failing to keep the puck in) than a lot of people have given him credit for. He's a passer, not a shooter, and when Rozy keeps giving him the puck back it's tough to do much.

we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 07:36 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
It's accurate, but I thought much of this was common knowledge.

One thing though... he's on pace for about 35-40 points, and that's without Heatley, Spezza and Alfreddson, so at least we know that his stats weren't completely inflated by those three.

No, I'd think what I think now. Solid. Just solid. Nowhere near his contract, if his contract was like 4.5 mil you'd hear no complaints from me. But's it's a lot more.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 07:52 AM
Levitate

I'm not sure why Redden was ever thought of as a real PP QB, but he's also not really being put into a position to be one out there. The PP obviously still isn't planned to run through the point men...it's still the forwards like Gomez that are dictating what the PP does, not the guys at the point. So basically if you don't have a huge shot, as a defenseman, you're not going to do a ton on the Rangers PP.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 08:09 AM
Duponttime*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I'm not sure why Redden was ever thought of as a real PP QB, but he's also not really being put into a position to be one out there. The PP obviously still isn't planned to run through the point men...it's still the forwards like Gomez that are dictating what the PP does, not the guys at the point. So basically if you don't have a huge shot, as a defenseman, you're not going to do a ton on the Rangers PP.
A lot of my fellow Rangers fans tend to expect the world out of any player who makes a high salary. This team is one of the best defensive teams in hockey. Other than a brief stretch where they left Lundqvist out to dry, they usually don't give up a lot. The worst defense they play is when they are on the PP and I blame Rosival for a ton of that. People have to remember that Redden is also playing a new system. It's not like he can master this in 35 games after playing years on the high flying Sens. I like the way Redden has played other than a few bad games. The biggest problem on this team is that the fowards other than Zherdev, have no clue how to run a PP. The second biggest problem is the team badly lacks another scoring wing with some size.

Some teams are starting to fall out of it now. I never liked Malone on Tampa but Prospal would be interesting and you could probably get him for squat right about now.

Duponttime* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 10:00 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
I'm in a seemingly small minority of people that don't think Redden has been bad. I think he's been okay. As such, I voted "Will straighten it out and only be considered overpaid", even though I don't think there's a whole lot to straighten out.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 10:19 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Exactly. Redden isn't a guy who is going to side step his way across the blue line on the power-play and make dish passes through the box, he's not that type of player. Our PP is clearly run from the half-boards (If it's being 'run' at all) through Gomez or Zherdev.

Redden plays a good two-way game and largely goes unnoticed. Is he overpaid? Absolutely. However, that's what the market dictated. In hindsight it appears that we could have rolled a defensive corps of Staal, Girardi, Mara, Rozsival, Kalinin and Potter and we wouldn't have been much different than we are right now, aside from having a lot of cap room. But you have to admit that everyone around here was screaming for a top-pairing d-man, and that's what Sather thought he was getting.

Campbell would have been a true PP QB, but he would have been even more expensive than Redden and is not nearly as capable defensively.

Our other options were guys like Streit or Hainsey, both of whom are questionable defensively at best and not exactly cheap either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I'm in a seemingly small minority of people that don't think Redden has been bad. I think he's been okay. As such, I voted "Will straighten it out and only be considered overpaid", even though I don't think there's a whole lot to straighten out.
I have to agree here as well. He's made his share of mistakes, but all of our defensemen have. His are magnified simply because he earns so much money. I don't think he'll ever be a 60pt d-man while he's with this team in it's current state, but once the team begins to improve, he'll see a bump in his numbers.

One should also acknowledge that he's probably doing quite a bit to help the development of Staal and Girardi. As good as they are, they've taken their games to another level since Redden has been a Ranger. This guy was an elite defender in this league for a large portion of his career, I think he can teach our young d-men quite a bit.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 10:28 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
He's made his share of mistakes, but all of our defensemen have.
It's not like we're talking about Pronger here either. You'd think people were expecting Redden to be a Norris candidate with some of the opinions I'm reading here. And of course, Dawes proved that even one of the best d-men in the game isn't exempt from a costly mistake , or 2 on the same play, from time to time.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 10:32 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
It's not like we're talking about Pronger here either. You'd think people were expecting Redden to be a Norris candidate with some of the opinions I'm reading here. And of course, Dawes proved that even one of the best d-men in the game isn't exempt from a costly mistake , or 2 on the same play, from time to time.
"Yeah but he's paid to be better!"

Old
12-19-2008, 11:12 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
You got it. Plus, imagine what Pronger would get on the open market.. yikes.

Quote:
"Yeah but he's paid to be better!"

Unfortunately for Redden, I doubt there is any way he could possibly live up to the expectations that are linked to his salary.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 11:15 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Nothing will happen to Redden.

No one will take that contract.

He will have to start earning his money.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 11:26 AM
Celestial Black

Hopefully he will be traded.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 11:36 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

None of the above? The guy makes a ton of cash because he was signed as a UFA and has put up great numbers in the past. That's how UFA signings work, it's their pay day. Every team has their players that make more than what they should for the production they produce but if you're going to compete on the UFA market, you're going to have to pay to play. A year or so down the line, if the Rangers need cap space and they've got other players they want to keep instead of Redden, it's a different story, but until then, get used to his contract.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 01:08 PM
Entrancemperium

I hear Filatov isn't really living up to the hype in syracuse..........Redden for Filatov

Entrancemperium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 01:18 PM
Levitate

That's because Filatov is basically a small girl playing against men.

I sure the guy will be a great player some day, but damn son, he needs to grow some more