HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are There Any Sather Backers Left?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-18-2008, 08:22 PM
  #101
ThisYearsModel
Registered User
 
ThisYearsModel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 7,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidClown View Post
I'm with you on that, last year it was don't sign the old guys we want to rebuild, yet Sather holds his ground and doesn't sign a 35 year old guy who hasn't played a single minute in what 7-8 months to a huge salaried contract.

Man are you people fickle. I'm not a huge Sather fan by any means, I cringed when I saw the contract to Redden and Naslund, I'm going to eat crow on Naslund though because he's been one of the more consistent performers. Then I still look at the Zherdev move as a work of brilliance. I've wanted this kid on the team before he was drafted and now Renney has done a pretty good job with him. Getting an almost point per game player for a 3-4 defenseman is a steal no matter how you look at it.

I'd rate Sather around a 7 out of 10. Still hate the Redden signing and Kalinin was a gamble that doesn't seem like it was worth it but he'll be gone in the summer or trade deadline anyways.

7 of 10 is far too high. Slats passed over excellent prospects to take goalies #1 twice. Both were busts. He took Jessiman. He spent like a drunken sailor and missed the playoffs consistently. Things have been better since the lockout, and the Jagr-Czechmates approach worked for a couple years. The Zherdev deal was a steal, so long as we have the money to keep him. The transition away from the old leadership to the new may or may not work out. Outbidding everyone for players 2 straight years, plus a bigger than necessary contract to Rozsival are negatives. I give him a 3 out of 10, which matches his playoff record as NYR GM.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 08:23 PM
  #102
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
7 of 10 is far too high. Slats passed over excellent prospects to take goalies #1 twice. Both were busts. He took Jessiman. He spent like a drunken sailor and missed the playoffs consistently. Things have been better since the lockout, and the Jagr-Czechmates approach worked for a couple years. The Zherdev deal was a steal, so long as we have the money to keep him. The transition away from the old leadership to the new may or may not work out. Outbidding everyone for players 2 straight years, plus a bigger than necessary contract to Rozsival are negatives. I give him a 3 out of 10, which matches his playoff record as NYR GM.
I thought the Blackburn pick was a Neil Smith pick?

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 08:29 PM
  #103
The Thomas J.*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 18,847
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
I thought the Blackburn pick was a Neil Smith pick?
He was.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 08:44 PM
  #104
Rangerfan4life90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: College Point, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Sather does deserve a 7 out of 10 IMO or at the last 6 out of 10.

The Redden signing is gonna haunt us for a while

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 08:52 PM
  #105
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 17,834
vCash: 500
.

My problem with Sather and this team is that after 10 years he's got us to go from pathetic to medicore, another 10 years and we may even be good.

He's wasted picks and to his credit he's had some unfortunate luck with a few others.

Had I not known any better I would have expected more, but looking at his years prior to joining the Rangers it was clear the game has passed him by.

He's a fossil and needs to be removed from his post. Same with Renney and the whole coaching staff.

I have to faith in this group to do more than what they have done...which is not enough.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 08:53 PM
  #106
MSG the place to be*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,783
vCash: 500
To those of you pointing out Staal, Dubinsky, and Zherdev as Sather's feathers in his cap better, what are you going to do when its impossible to retain all 3???

Everyone always says when projecting player salaries: "lets give Dubinsky and Staal 2-3 mil a year and Zherdev can get 4 mil a year and we'll be fine" ($ is based on what i have read on these boards)

well in response to this, 1 of 2 things is going to happen.
1) these guys develop into the players we all hope they can become and therefore demand much much more (around 15-18 mil combined lets say) to keep them off the UFA market and we have no money to keep them
2) or they dont become the players we believe they will and then Sather really doesnt have much to brag about once it comes to these guys

Either way, the result does not look pretty.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 08:56 PM
  #107
LiquidClown
Registered User
 
LiquidClown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Huntsville, Al
Country: Germany
Posts: 6,640
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
7 of 10 is far too high. Slats passed over excellent prospects to take goalies #1 twice. Both were busts. He took Jessiman. He spent like a drunken sailor and missed the playoffs consistently. Things have been better since the lockout, and the Jagr-Czechmates approach worked for a couple years. The Zherdev deal was a steal, so long as we have the money to keep him. The transition away from the old leadership to the new may or may not work out. Outbidding everyone for players 2 straight years, plus a bigger than necessary contract to Rozsival are negatives. I give him a 3 out of 10, which matches his playoff record as NYR GM.
I should have qualified my statement by saying 7/10 post lockout, before that I'd go 3 maybe 4. As was mentioned Blackburne wasn't a Sather pick and to call him a bust isn't fair, that'd be like calling Cherry a bust as well. Look at the other stuff he's done, Callahan, Girardi, Henrik, Orr, Betts all solid additions to the team. Staal has already shown that he's going to become a stud of a defenseman, Stag and Del Zotto seem to be doing pretty well so far. Then look at how he fleeced Jagr out of Washington while making them continue to pay a percentage of his salary?

Count me down as a fan of Rozsival, to me he's just the new whipping boy since Poti and Malik have gone on. Granted I don't think I would have signed him to a 4 year contract but I don't think he's immovable if needed say as much as a guy by the name of Redden.

I've got a feeling there's going to be some interesting moves come trade deadline

LiquidClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 09:01 PM
  #108
LiquidClown
Registered User
 
LiquidClown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Huntsville, Al
Country: Germany
Posts: 6,640
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
To those of you pointing out Staal, Dubinsky, and Zherdev as Sather's feathers in his cap better, what are you going to do when its impossible to retain all 3???

Everyone always says when projecting player salaries: "lets give Dubinsky and Staal 2-3 mil a year and Zherdev can get 4 mil a year and we'll be fine" ($ is based on what i have read on these boards)

well in response to this, 1 of 2 things is going to happen.
1) these guys develop into the players we all hope they can become and therefore demand much much more (around 15-18 mil combined lets say) to keep them off the UFA market and we have no money to keep them
2) or they dont become the players we believe they will and then Sather really doesnt have much to brag about once it comes to these guys

Either way, the result does not look pretty.
That's assuming that no other moves are made. Trades and waivers will still play a large role. Plus you're also assuming that the current cap will stay where it is at. It's averaged a jump of $6 mil increase every year.

The sky isn't falling people, it's safe to smile for now. chill out relax a bit, it makes life more enjoyable trust me!

LiquidClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 09:01 PM
  #109
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 17,834
vCash: 500
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidClown View Post
I should have qualified my statement by saying 7/10 post lockout, before that I'd go 3 maybe 4. As was mentioned Blackburne wasn't a Sather pick and to call him a bust isn't fair, that'd be like calling Cherry a bust as well. Look at the other stuff he's done, Callahan, Girardi, Henrik, Orr, Betts all solid additions to the team. Staal has already shown that he's going to become a stud of a defenseman, Stag and Del Zotto seem to be doing pretty well so far. Then look at how he fleeced Jagr out of Washington while making them continue to pay a percentage of his salary?

Count me down as a fan of Rozsival, to me he's just the new whipping boy since Poti and Malik have gone on. Granted I don't think I would have signed him to a 4 year contract but I don't think he's immovable if needed say as much as a guy by the name of Redden.

I've got a feeling there's going to be some interesting moves come trade deadline

That wasn't a fleecing. Washington knew full well what they were doing. They wanted NO FURTHER PART of Jagr and the way he approached playing there, I don't blame the Caps management one iota for wanting to dump him.

That was a gift wrapped trade for Sather.

I will give him the Zherdev trade, that was a nice deal, but the Bure deal knowing he had MAJOR KNEE CONCERNS, the Lindros trade, also knowing his history. Not good.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 09:06 PM
  #110
LiquidClown
Registered User
 
LiquidClown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Huntsville, Al
Country: Germany
Posts: 6,640
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
That wasn't a fleecing. Washington knew full well what they were doing. They wanted NO FURTHER PART of Jagr and the way he approached playing there, I don't blame the Caps management one iota for wanting to dump him.

That was a gift wrapped trade for Sather.

I will give him the Zherdev trade, that was a nice deal, but the Bure deal knowing he had MAJOR KNEE CONCERNS, the Lindros trade, also knowing his history. Not good.
Fleecing, steal whatever he still got a pre-paid Jagr for Anson friggin Carter. Again I meant to say post lockout. Bure was a huge gamble that ended up us losing basically what boils down to a 1st round pick AND we got rid of Ulanov.

No excuse for the Lindros deal at all, I guess you just have to be a lion once in your life

LiquidClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 09:16 PM
  #111
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE
 
Evil Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YOU MAKE SOME MO
Posts: 2,011
vCash: 500
Sather has failed far more often than he has succeeded, and he only succeeded by tremendous luck in getting a motivated Jagr gift wrapped to him for half price, and having a 7th rounder mature into probably the 2nd or 3rd best goalie in the league over his first 3 years.

Without those 2 miracles, this is a 32-40-10 team, even with all the FA signings and vastly improved coaching.

Evil Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 09:21 PM
  #112
nyrangers23
Registered User
 
nyrangers23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: bwood
Posts: 199
vCash: 500
i think some people are failing to realize that the reason we couldnt get the cap space for sundin is cuz nobody wants the crap big contracts that sather has signed. we have redden and rosival on d getting paid way too much and for too long. then we have drury and gomez for too much and too long. what are we goin to do when its time 2 sign duby, zherdev staal?? if we cant move rosy or redden now we are goin to be stuck with them. how are any of our young promising dmen goin to be able to get a shot. only guy def out next yr is kalinin. thats 1 spot. some people just dont realized how screwed we are right now. yah i wanted sundin cuz hes a great player for a cup run. im more upset of the reason y we couldnt get him cuz we are screwed for a long time. we cant sign any younger free agents that would be available anytime cuz its goin to be hard enough 2 retain our own guys. bottom line our d is weak and will be as long as those 2 bums are back there. whats goin 2 happen when mara wants more $ nxt yr. he been 1 of if not our best dman. we cant afford him. sather better have something up his sleeve involving one of the big contracts or we are fd.

nyrangers23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 09:30 PM
  #113
FutureGM97
Registered User
 
FutureGM97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Connecticut, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,833
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Sather couldn't have just been relying on Sundin signing with the Rangers. He probably has a contingency plan...while we probably won't see it until the trade deadline or something, he has to have something.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 09:33 PM
  #114
In The Flesh
Registered User
 
In The Flesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9,742
vCash: 500
most likely one or two teams at the deadline or going to want to add a D man. We just got a bank on one of them being desperate enough to take Rozi or Redden.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 09:37 PM
  #115
Hollywood Hulk Hogan
nWo 4 Life Brother
 
Hollywood Hulk Hogan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,620
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hollywood Hulk Hogan
Yeah I'm really gonna be patient to watch Callahan and Dawes simply not live up to their hype around here. I think I'll just watch the grass grow too and watch us get eliminated in the 2nd round again because we can't score.

Hollywood Hulk Hogan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 09:41 PM
  #116
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 17,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
Yeah I'm really gonna be patient to watch Callahan and Dawes simply not live up to their hype around here. I think I'll just watch the grass grow too and watch us get eliminated in the 2nd round again because we can't score.
What hype does Callahan have to live up to?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 09:44 PM
  #117
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
After getting some air, I'd rather we stay put and do minimum to no moves this year, and let the team grow. Everyone calls for a players/staff's head during the season, I remember when people wanted to trade Jagr..., If anything I would like us to move Rozsival, or Redden to clear the cap.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 09:45 PM
  #118
RichterLundqvist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Oswego, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
What hype does Callahan have to live up to?
Didn't you hear?

2nd coming of Rocket Richard

RichterLundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 09:45 PM
  #119
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers
 
Ih8theislanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bronx,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,785
vCash: 500
He needs to have a plan for more scoring now. We've played good the last two games, but not great, San Jose will be our real test.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 09:45 PM
  #120
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 17,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichterLundqvist View Post
Didn't you hear?

2nd coming of Rocket Richard
Ohhh. That Callahan.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 09:46 PM
  #121
DubiDubiDoo
Registered User
 
DubiDubiDoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Garden City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,927
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
I'm very happy with callahan and his role on this team...

Dawes I will give you, hes not looking so hot

One thing I will say in Sathers defense, its been a while since hes dealt away any young talent

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 09:49 PM
  #122
DubiDubiDoo
Registered User
 
DubiDubiDoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Garden City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,927
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
He needs to have a plan for more scoring now. We've played good the last two games, but not great, San Jose will be our real test.
Rangers fans are hilarious though, if we lose to the Sharks we'll hear "we cant beat a good team"

if we beat the Sharks we'll hear, "they were worn out from playing the wings on thursday" lol

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 09:51 PM
  #123
Hollywood Hulk Hogan
nWo 4 Life Brother
 
Hollywood Hulk Hogan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,620
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hollywood Hulk Hogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichterLundqvist View Post
Didn't you hear?

2nd coming of Rocket Richard
No that's Parise according to Chico, but my point is how much can Callahan grow? He's not top 6 material. He's maybe a 15 goal 3rd liner. Dawes might grow, but what's realistic for him? 20 goals max? My main argument is we need top 6 help because a Dawes-Drury-Callahan second line will get us no where come playoff time, playing well lately but if that's our second line all year see you at the NHL Draft with the 17th pick.

Hollywood Hulk Hogan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 09:58 PM
  #124
DubiDubiDoo
Registered User
 
DubiDubiDoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Garden City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,927
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
For the life of me i still cant figure out why our second line isnt Drury-Dubinsky-Prucha....

let sjo-korpi-dawes take the 3rd line

and voros-betts-orr man the 4th

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 10:44 PM
  #125
Blueshirt24
 
Blueshirt24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 284
vCash: 500
So now that Forsberg says he wants to comeback Sather's going to go after him right? He'll obviously sign here because he's such good friends with Naslund and we're hungry to pick up a proven guy like Foppa after missing out on Sundin, right?


kinda

__________________
Nigel "Chocolate Teddy Graham" Dawes
Blueshirt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.