HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are There Any Sather Backers Left?

Old
12-18-2008, 08:22 PM
ThisYearsModel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidClown View Post
I'm with you on that, last year it was don't sign the old guys we want to rebuild, yet Sather holds his ground and doesn't sign a 35 year old guy who hasn't played a single minute in what 7-8 months to a huge salaried contract.

Man are you people fickle. I'm not a huge Sather fan by any means, I cringed when I saw the contract to Redden and Naslund, I'm going to eat crow on Naslund though because he's been one of the more consistent performers. Then I still look at the Zherdev move as a work of brilliance. I've wanted this kid on the team before he was drafted and now Renney has done a pretty good job with him. Getting an almost point per game player for a 3-4 defenseman is a steal no matter how you look at it.

I'd rate Sather around a 7 out of 10. Still hate the Redden signing and Kalinin was a gamble that doesn't seem like it was worth it but he'll be gone in the summer or trade deadline anyways.

7 of 10 is far too high. Slats passed over excellent prospects to take goalies #1 twice. Both were busts. He took Jessiman. He spent like a drunken sailor and missed the playoffs consistently. Things have been better since the lockout, and the Jagr-Czechmates approach worked for a couple years. The Zherdev deal was a steal, so long as we have the money to keep him. The transition away from the old leadership to the new may or may not work out. Outbidding everyone for players 2 straight years, plus a bigger than necessary contract to Rozsival are negatives. I give him a 3 out of 10, which matches his playoff record as NYR GM.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 08:23 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
7 of 10 is far too high. Slats passed over excellent prospects to take goalies #1 twice. Both were busts. He took Jessiman. He spent like a drunken sailor and missed the playoffs consistently. Things have been better since the lockout, and the Jagr-Czechmates approach worked for a couple years. The Zherdev deal was a steal, so long as we have the money to keep him. The transition away from the old leadership to the new may or may not work out. Outbidding everyone for players 2 straight years, plus a bigger than necessary contract to Rozsival are negatives. I give him a 3 out of 10, which matches his playoff record as NYR GM.
I thought the Blackburn pick was a Neil Smith pick?

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 08:29 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
I thought the Blackburn pick was a Neil Smith pick?
He was.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 08:44 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Sather does deserve a 7 out of 10 IMO or at the last 6 out of 10.

The Redden signing is gonna haunt us for a while

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 08:52 PM
pld459666

My problem with Sather and this team is that after 10 years he's got us to go from pathetic to medicore, another 10 years and we may even be good.

He's wasted picks and to his credit he's had some unfortunate luck with a few others.

Had I not known any better I would have expected more, but looking at his years prior to joining the Rangers it was clear the game has passed him by.

He's a fossil and needs to be removed from his post. Same with Renney and the whole coaching staff.

I have to faith in this group to do more than what they have done...which is not enough.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 08:53 PM
MSG the place to be*

To those of you pointing out Staal, Dubinsky, and Zherdev as Sather's feathers in his cap better, what are you going to do when its impossible to retain all 3???

Everyone always says when projecting player salaries: "lets give Dubinsky and Staal 2-3 mil a year and Zherdev can get 4 mil a year and we'll be fine" ($ is based on what i have read on these boards)

well in response to this, 1 of 2 things is going to happen.
1) these guys develop into the players we all hope they can become and therefore demand much much more (around 15-18 mil combined lets say) to keep them off the UFA market and we have no money to keep them
2) or they dont become the players we believe they will and then Sather really doesnt have much to brag about once it comes to these guys

Either way, the result does not look pretty.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 08:56 PM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
I should have qualified my statement by saying 7/10 post lockout, before that I'd go 3 maybe 4. As was mentioned Blackburne wasn't a Sather pick and to call him a bust isn't fair, that'd be like calling Cherry a bust as well. Look at the other stuff he's done, Callahan, Girardi, Henrik, Orr, Betts all solid additions to the team. Staal has already shown that he's going to become a stud of a defenseman, Stag and Del Zotto seem to be doing pretty well so far. Then look at how he fleeced Jagr out of Washington while making them continue to pay a percentage of his salary?

Count me down as a fan of Rozsival, to me he's just the new whipping boy since Poti and Malik have gone on. Granted I don't think I would have signed him to a 4 year contract but I don't think he's immovable if needed say as much as a guy by the name of Redden.

I've got a feeling there's going to be some interesting moves come trade deadline

LiquidClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 09:01 PM
LiquidClown

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
To those of you pointing out Staal, Dubinsky, and Zherdev as Sather's feathers in his cap better, what are you going to do when its impossible to retain all 3???

Everyone always says when projecting player salaries: "lets give Dubinsky and Staal 2-3 mil a year and Zherdev can get 4 mil a year and we'll be fine" ($ is based on what i have read on these boards)

well in response to this, 1 of 2 things is going to happen.
1) these guys develop into the players we all hope they can become and therefore demand much much more (around 15-18 mil combined lets say) to keep them off the UFA market and we have no money to keep them
2) or they dont become the players we believe they will and then Sather really doesnt have much to brag about once it comes to these guys

Either way, the result does not look pretty.
That's assuming that no other moves are made. Trades and waivers will still play a large role. Plus you're also assuming that the current cap will stay where it is at. It's averaged a jump of $6 mil increase every year.

The sky isn't falling people, it's safe to smile for now. chill out relax a bit, it makes life more enjoyable trust me!

Old
12-18-2008, 09:01 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidClown View Post
I should have qualified my statement by saying 7/10 post lockout, before that I'd go 3 maybe 4. As was mentioned Blackburne wasn't a Sather pick and to call him a bust isn't fair, that'd be like calling Cherry a bust as well. Look at the other stuff he's done, Callahan, Girardi, Henrik, Orr, Betts all solid additions to the team. Staal has already shown that he's going to become a stud of a defenseman, Stag and Del Zotto seem to be doing pretty well so far. Then look at how he fleeced Jagr out of Washington while making them continue to pay a percentage of his salary?

Count me down as a fan of Rozsival, to me he's just the new whipping boy since Poti and Malik have gone on. Granted I don't think I would have signed him to a 4 year contract but I don't think he's immovable if needed say as much as a guy by the name of Redden.

I've got a feeling there's going to be some interesting moves come trade deadline

That wasn't a fleecing. Washington knew full well what they were doing. They wanted NO FURTHER PART of Jagr and the way he approached playing there, I don't blame the Caps management one iota for wanting to dump him.

That was a gift wrapped trade for Sather.

I will give him the Zherdev trade, that was a nice deal, but the Bure deal knowing he had MAJOR KNEE CONCERNS, the Lindros trade, also knowing his history. Not good.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 09:06 PM
LiquidClown

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
That wasn't a fleecing. Washington knew full well what they were doing. They wanted NO FURTHER PART of Jagr and the way he approached playing there, I don't blame the Caps management one iota for wanting to dump him.

That was a gift wrapped trade for Sather.

I will give him the Zherdev trade, that was a nice deal, but the Bure deal knowing he had MAJOR KNEE CONCERNS, the Lindros trade, also knowing his history. Not good.
Fleecing, steal whatever he still got a pre-paid Jagr for Anson friggin Carter. Again I meant to say post lockout. Bure was a huge gamble that ended up us losing basically what boils down to a 1st round pick AND we got rid of Ulanov.

No excuse for the Lindros deal at all, I guess you just have to be a lion once in your life

Old
12-18-2008, 09:16 PM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

Sather has failed far more often than he has succeeded, and he only succeeded by tremendous luck in getting a motivated Jagr gift wrapped to him for half price, and having a 7th rounder mature into probably the 2nd or 3rd best goalie in the league over his first 3 years.

Without those 2 miracles, this is a 32-40-10 team, even with all the FA signings and vastly improved coaching.

Evil Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 09:21 PM
nyrangers23

i think some people are failing to realize that the reason we couldnt get the cap space for sundin is cuz nobody wants the crap big contracts that sather has signed. we have redden and rosival on d getting paid way too much and for too long. then we have drury and gomez for too much and too long. what are we goin to do when its time 2 sign duby, zherdev staal?? if we cant move rosy or redden now we are goin to be stuck with them. how are any of our young promising dmen goin to be able to get a shot. only guy def out next yr is kalinin. thats 1 spot. some people just dont realized how screwed we are right now. yah i wanted sundin cuz hes a great player for a cup run. im more upset of the reason y we couldnt get him cuz we are screwed for a long time. we cant sign any younger free agents that would be available anytime cuz its goin to be hard enough 2 retain our own guys. bottom line our d is weak and will be as long as those 2 bums are back there. whats goin 2 happen when mara wants more $ nxt yr. he been 1 of if not our best dman. we cant afford him. sather better have something up his sleeve involving one of the big contracts or we are fd.

nyrangers23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 09:30 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Sather couldn't have just been relying on Sundin signing with the Rangers. He probably has a contingency plan...while we probably won't see it until the trade deadline or something, he has to have something.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 09:33 PM
In The Flesh

most likely one or two teams at the deadline or going to want to add a D man. We just got a bank on one of them being desperate enough to take Rozi or Redden.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Hollywood Hulk Hogan
nWo 4 Life Brother

Send a message via AIM to Hollywood Hulk Hogan
Yeah I'm really gonna be patient to watch Callahan and Dawes simply not live up to their hype around here. I think I'll just watch the grass grow too and watch us get eliminated in the 2nd round again because we can't score.

Hollywood Hulk Hogan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 09:41 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
Yeah I'm really gonna be patient to watch Callahan and Dawes simply not live up to their hype around here. I think I'll just watch the grass grow too and watch us get eliminated in the 2nd round again because we can't score.
What hype does Callahan have to live up to?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 09:44 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

After getting some air, I'd rather we stay put and do minimum to no moves this year, and let the team grow. Everyone calls for a players/staff's head during the season, I remember when people wanted to trade Jagr..., If anything I would like us to move Rozsival, or Redden to clear the cap.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 09:45 PM
RichterLundqvist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
What hype does Callahan have to live up to?
Didn't you hear?

2nd coming of Rocket Richard

RichterLundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

He needs to have a plan for more scoring now. We've played good the last two games, but not great, San Jose will be our real test.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichterLundqvist View Post
Didn't you hear?

Ohhh. That Callahan.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 09:46 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
I'm very happy with callahan and his role on this team...

Dawes I will give you, hes not looking so hot

One thing I will say in Sathers defense, its been a while since hes dealt away any young talent

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 09:49 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
He needs to have a plan for more scoring now. We've played good the last two games, but not great, San Jose will be our real test.
Rangers fans are hilarious though, if we lose to the Sharks we'll hear "we cant beat a good team"

if we beat the Sharks we'll hear, "they were worn out from playing the wings on thursday" lol

Old
12-18-2008, 09:51 PM
Hollywood Hulk Hogan
nWo 4 Life Brother

Send a message via AIM to Hollywood Hulk Hogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichterLundqvist View Post
Didn't you hear?

No that's Parise according to Chico, but my point is how much can Callahan grow? He's not top 6 material. He's maybe a 15 goal 3rd liner. Dawes might grow, but what's realistic for him? 20 goals max? My main argument is we need top 6 help because a Dawes-Drury-Callahan second line will get us no where come playoff time, playing well lately but if that's our second line all year see you at the NHL Draft with the 17th pick.

Hollywood Hulk Hogan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 09:58 PM
DubiDubiDoo

For the life of me i still cant figure out why our second line isnt Drury-Dubinsky-Prucha....

let sjo-korpi-dawes take the 3rd line

and voros-betts-orr man the 4th

Old
12-18-2008, 10:44 PM
Blueshirt24

So now that Forsberg says he wants to comeback Sather's going to go after him right? He'll obviously sign here because he's such good friends with Naslund and we're hungry to pick up a proven guy like Foppa after missing out on Sundin, right?

kinda