HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Screw you Mats

Old
02-22-2009, 07:39 PM
asdf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToskaLOL View Post
When did Fletcher chirp to the media? Pretty much every single time a reporter called him.
So answering questions asked by a media member is chirping?

asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 07:42 PM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
So answering questions asked by a media member is chirping?
When the player has specifically said all along that he didn't wait to waive the NTC, and yet you don't shoot it down at all, then yes. It's pretty much a known fact that Fletcher is pretty buddy-buddy with the media. All those trades, and the "return", wasn't coming from the opposing GMs, it was Fletcher's office leaking it all. He was a huge factor in the sandbagging of the NTC5.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 08:10 PM
CallMeJerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
Don't even try man, as much as you make sense, you'll never convince the man crushed Sundin lovers. They've been blinded by the media. You're right, the Leafs didn't do anything wrong in asking him to waive it but he gave us all a load of self-righteous bull that it upset him deeply and caused him to leave. Um, Brad Richards and Dan Boyle both waived their NTCs last season to move to a PO contender and help out their respective teams. Everyone loves to blame MLSE and use them as scapegoats, and they are to blame for many things, including why this team is so poor, but in this Sundin situation, he is to blame for how the situation ended up and never deserved the cheers last night IMO.
You're right, don't even try.

Hold on to your hurt feelings and bitterness - hold on tight. Those feelings will never leave you as long as you hold on.

Those losers at ACC who cheered gave in to their weaker instincts - forgiveness and gratitude. What a bunch of idiots!

CallMeJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Krylian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts View Post
So you don't have the feelings for Mats you do have for Sundin?

Gilmour btw. once asked for a trade and while he was a great player fo us (IMO as important as Mats), he has been the go-to-guy for many more teams and isn't exactly a player who had "real leaf forever" written about him. IMO he's come around to often to too many teams for that. That's, why I personally haven't the same feelings about him compared to Mats. He gave us some great years & memories, though.
Haha....Oops....That was suppose to be Wendel.

Krylian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 08:58 PM
Zardoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeJerry View Post
You're right, don't even try.

Hold on to your hurt feelings and bitterness - hold on tight. Those feelings will never leave you as long as you hold on.

Those losers at ACC who cheered gave in to their weaker instincts - forgiveness and gratitude. What a bunch of idiots!
sheesh, you're like an evangelist... can't you just let people be mad at Mats? do we all have to convert? preach some more... please, because we haven't heard it all yet.

Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 10:35 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanLackey View Post
sheesh, you're like an evangelist... can't you just let people be mad at Mats? do we all have to convert? preach some more... please, because we haven't heard it all yet.
You mean there is nothing original or new in here?

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 10:44 PM
DreamCatcher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
You mean there is nothing original or new in here?
Hey Cory Schneider was drafted by Nonis, not Burke.

DreamCatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 10:57 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMind View Post
Hey Cory Schneider was drafted by Nonis, not Burke.
If that's the case ... Screw you Brian.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:49 AM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 695
Man.

I wish we had him back.

go_leafs_go02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:41 AM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeJerry View Post
So you're suggesting the Leafs could have traded Mats to a playoff team last year for a boatload of assets, with the understanding that Mats re-signed with the Leafs in the summer. Imagine Mats in that other team's dressing room knowing he wasn't really with those guys. He robbed that team of assets and he was going to go back to his old team in the summer anyways. Can you see how a man of principles would have a problem with that.

Did Colorado ask Sakic to do that when they missed the playoffs? In the remotest chance that they did ask Sakic if that was OK - if he said no, would the Avalanche make it public that it was up to Sakic whether or not they got a bunch in a trade?

First class organizations treat their icons the right way. Toronto does something else.
Boy are you wrong on all counts above, I cannot top asdf's reply, but man you should start following hockey a little more seriously before posting trash like above.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 09:18 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Man.

I wish we had him back.
I don't, he was overrated as a 'leader' and an overpaid 'elite' star, let the Nucks pay him $10m/yr if that's the case. This team needs to rebuild and Sundin was not going to be the way to go about it. They needed a total reworking of the dressing room and that was accomplished pretty well by also cutting ties with McCabe, Raycroft and Tucker.

It's pretty disheartening to see RW so happy after the overtime win and Burke cheering so hard up in the press box because you can tell these men expect the Leafs to challenge for a PO spot as far fetched as that may seem. They really seem to think there is something here, when the informed people know there really isn't yet.

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 11:43 AM
draeko17

Quote:
I don't, he was overrated as a 'leader' and an overpaid 'elite' star, let the Nucks pay him $10m/yr if that's the case. This team needs to rebuild and Sundin was not going to be the way to go about it. They needed a total reworking of the dressing room and that was accomplished pretty well by also cutting ties with McCabe, Raycroft and Tucker.

It's pretty disheartening to see RW so happy after the overtime win and Burke cheering so hard up in the press box because you can tell these men expect the Leafs to challenge for a PO spot as far fetched as that may seem. They really seem to think there is something here, when the informed people know there really isn't yet.
Not that I think that the Leafs are making the play-offs this year (possibly not for a few more years..) but who are these people that are more informed that Burke and Wilson?????

draeko17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 11:47 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draeko17 View Post
Not that I think that the Leafs are making the play-offs this year (possibly not for a few more years..) but who are these people that are more informed that Burke and Wilson?????
They're the ones who didn't understand what went on last deadline.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:02 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
It's common sense, look at the lack of skill offensively and combine that with horrendous goaltending and you get a team that won't make the playoffs. They have the determination, however, to make a decent run for it and effectively place themselves out of the lottery. Now, throw into the mix the fact that RW and Burke have made comments about not sandbagging the season just to get a lottery pick and you come to the conclusion that the two men want to try for the POs even though they know they lack the skill to win the cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
I love e-tough guys who think they know what they're talking about, and make derisive statements to create an argument. The funny thing is these people offer up no valid commentary in opposition to my comment, they just continue to spew obsequious comments hoping to please other posters on the boards with e-toughness.

Old
02-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Sure Sundin, McCabe, Tucker and company thought they were good enough to make the playoffs ..

The team finished in its worst position in the standings in a decade with only 6 teams finishing below them.

Why would Leaf Nation fans want young assets and draft picks towards a rebuild instead of these proven losers? They established a new historical Leafs record in futility of 3 consecutive non playoff years a feat not accomplished since the St Pats in the 1920's.

Nice talent evaluation abilities by the Muskoka gang as they really showed us message board posters why it was worthwhile that they all stayed on to achieve that level of failure. .

Were you one of those fooled into believing we were playoff bound last year? Do you feel silly now much like the players must be?

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:13 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Sure Sundin, McCabe, Tucker and company thought they were good enough to make the playoffs ..

The team finished in its worst position in the standings in a decade with only 6 teams finishing below them.

Why would Leaf Nation fans want young assets and draft picks towards a rebuild instead of these proven losers? They established a new historical Leafs record in futility of 3 consecutive non playoff years a feat not accomplished since the St Pats in the 1920's.

Nice talent evaluation abilities by the Muskoka gang as they really showed us message board posters why it was worthwhile that they all stayed on to achieve that level of failure. .

Were you one of those fooled into believing we were playoff bound last year?
I think he was one of the ones fooled by the misinterpretation of loyalty and overvaluation of skill

Old
02-23-2009, 12:18 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
I love e-tough guys who think they know what they're talking about, and make derisive statements to create an argument. The funny thing is these people offer up no valid commentary in opposition to my comment, they just continue to spew obsequious comments hoping to please other posters on the boards with e-toughness.
Burke and Wilson are now part of the Maple Leafs organization. They want this team to win and be good. Neither of them think the Leafs will make the playoffs, but they want to see improvements in the teams play. Being incredibly bad doesn't help them. It gives them less to work with.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:19 PM
kindablu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Real Leaf fans know Sundin screwed us over at the trade deadline. What is the most annoying is not even Sundin's self serving crocodile tears and sack of lies its that all actions have consequences.

The biggest Sundin worshipers are also this boards biggest moaners and complainers now at the state of the current team. The two are directly connected but they can't connect the dots for some strange reason.

Had Sundin and his NTC pals moved on when asked to by ownership their bosses the Leafs would be a different team today. If Leafs had Jeff Carter and Chris Higgins and other parts including multiple 1st rounders, then the rebuild would be moving along nicely instead of set back years. Leafs wouldn't need to be trading for Stempniak, to fill holes or trade more picks for Grabovski and to move up to draft Schenn. All fallout from the actions of Sundin and his NTC pals. Had Kubina moved to SJ for Kyle McLaren and 2nd then perhaps Leafs wouldn't have needed to go sign Finger instead. So instead of proactively improving the team last deadline, we're faced with a bunch of reactionary secondary moves instead. Leafs needed to trade 3 picks to move up two spots to draft Schenn but without Sundin and Muskoka 5 post deadline the Leafs would have been in the TOP 5 picks naturally.

Sentimentality for players has no room in sports where a REAL fan supports the Logo on the front not the names on the back that change all the time. Clearly they're not serious about wanting Leafs long-term success by supporting short term players that only delays and deters success by actions that hurt the TEAM..
Again with the real Leaf fans!! Here I thought all Leaf fans were real Leaf fans. I guess there is a category of UN-real Leaf fans. Perhaps you could post the rules to be followed to be a REAL Leaf fan. I have a feeling that anyone that thinks exactly like you is a Real Leaf fan and those that do not are not.

kindablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:26 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
Burke and Wilson are now part of the Maple Leafs organization. They want this team to win and be good. Neither of them think the Leafs will make the playoffs, but they want to see improvements in the teams play. Being incredibly bad doesn't help them. It gives them less to work with.
True, that's why I don't exactly know how to go about cheering the team. I really want them to have a top 5 pick not for the sake of them being poor but to help solidify the future of the team. But, obviously, I want them to win and be a playoff team (I don't believe they will be unfortunately) so it's a catch-22.

Old
02-23-2009, 12:49 PM
LastCupUpNorth

Quote:
True, that's why I don't exactly know how to go about cheering the team. I really want them to have a top 5 pick not for the sake of them being poor but to help solidify the future of the team. But, obviously, I want them to win and be a playoff team (I don't believe they will be unfortunately) so it's a catch-22.
I want them to make a trade at the start of the year for a 1st rounder, win the cup and end up having that 1st rounder become a 1st overall...

But, we have to take what we can get I guess...

LastCupUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:53 PM
draeko17

Quote:
It's common sense, look at the lack of skill offensively and combine that with horrendous goaltending and you get a team that won't make the playoffs. They have the determination, however, to make a decent run for it and effectively place themselves out of the lottery. Now, throw into the mix the fact that RW and Burke have made comments about not sandbagging the season just to get a lottery pick and you come to the conclusion that the two men want to try for the POs even though they know they lack the skill to win the cup.

Firstly, Burke and Wilson must, at the very least, put forth the notion for public consumption that they play to win each game (or in Burke's case, build the team). It is hard to believe they would come out in the media and say they are hoping to lose lot's of games so that they finish in the bottom 5 to obtain a lottery pick. At the very least, they would be subject to penalties. As well, they would look rather silly to cursing when their team wins.

I'm really not trying to be rude but it's laughable to suggest that you/we/e-tough guys have a better handle or perspective on the team that Burke and Wilson. Don't you think?

draeko17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:03 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Firstly, Burke and Wilson must, at the very least, put forth the notion for public consumption that they play to win each game (or in Burke's case, build the team). It is hard to believe they would come out in the media and say they are hoping to lose lot's of games so that they finish in the bottom 5 to obtain a lottery pick. At the very least, they would be subject to penalties. As well, they would look rather silly to cursing when their team wins.

I'm really not trying to be rude but it's laughable to suggest that you/we/e-tough guys have a better handle or perspective on the team that Burke and Wilson. Don't you think?
The comment wasn't aimed at you. You made a perfectly legitimate statement on my comments. It was aimed at someone who used 'they' or 'people' when he really means a specific person but fears stating that person's user name for some reason.

It's not that I think that I or anyone else know more than Burke or RW. Obviously I, like many of us here, am just an outsider looking in but I have an opinion that this team lacks the skill to legitimately compete for the Cup or even a decent PO run. And it is true that Burke and RW have both stated their intentions are to compete and win as much as possible. Burke even took it a step further, whether he meant it or was just speaking out of the side of his mouth, that given a situation in which he were presented with the opportunity to make a deal that could significantly help to put the Leafs in the POs, he would do it in a second. To me, that states that he is seriously thinking about taking a shot at it and looking for a homerun deal that brings in a legit vet and not a top prospect or pick that won't be ready for several years. Combine that with RW's ferocity when the team looses and the thrill when they win, as well as some of the comments he's made, and this is a management team that believes they have a decent shot at making the POs. Let us not forget the revenue stream involved with even just a first round PO appearance as far as MLSE is concerned. Is it at all possible that RW and/or Burke have an incentive in the contract that gives them some extra pocket change should the team make the POs during their tenure? I don't know, but it might not be out of the realm of possibility. Plus, both these men are similar in that they have a very mean competitive streak in them and hate losing, which I do admire very much actually.

Old
02-23-2009, 01:18 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
I think he was one of the ones fooled by the misinterpretation of loyalty and overvaluation of skill
Sundin threw up a sack full of lies at the deadline .. "I don't believe in being a rental player" .. "You have to be a part of the process from training camp on t o feel your a part of the success". . " I want to retire a Leaf" etc etc .. Now all bold face lies.

So his last ditch hail marry " I thought we could make the playoffs now" nonsense is the only thing Sundin worshipers have to cling to in hopes that wasn't also a lie like the all rest of the garbage he feed Leaf Nation. However in the process of supporting Sundin and his NTC pals on their beliefs that the Leafs were playoff bound, and now the poor end results we now all know, has left them eating a lot of humble pie. The record shows 7th worst team in the NHL, so those supporting the Muskoka gang, now have their own credibility in talent evaluation flushed right down the drain with the players they so naively supported in vain if the truly believed that.

So its very simple really, they find themselves embarrassed by the outcome of the season, and so they have no where else to turn but on those fans that wanted them traded to improve the future. Those that knew this was a lousy team wanted to make the best of a bad situation and trade them all for the highest return and start over to accelerate the always painful rebuild process.

Its quite fitting really that Sundin betrays and stabs them in the back also, and leaves them making endless excuses now trying to restore his tarnished legacy for all his BS and lies and failure he delivered recently upon his departure.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote