HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Screw you Mats

Old
12-19-2008, 12:11 AM
Metallian*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccliquer View Post
The best part of all of this is he really wanted to be a Ranger (even said MSG and New York was his favourite place to play), but that never worked out. I will laugh if his team gets ousted in the first round and the Rangers go further.
even jeremy roenick said sundin will go there

hell, his buddy nazzy is there

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 12:11 AM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcool View Post
Cmon guys, ease of the hate. Mats Sundin played 13 fricken years for the Toronto Maple Leafs. He's played for some pretty good Leaf teams and some pretty bad leaf teams but not once did he complain or want out of the organization. He's been a total class act from the minute he was was a Maple Leaf.

It's ridiculous how people are calling him a "hypocrite" for going to Vancouver now when he could've been traded last year. The guy maintained all of last year that he wanted to remain a Leaf, win a Stanley cup, and hopefully retire as a leaf (this was despite the fact that we were no where near contending for the Stanley Cup). Then the trade deadline came and EVERYONE went ape**** on Mats Sundin for wanting to stay in Toronto. Everyone basically made him feel unwanted in the city of Toronto.

Now we fast forward to this year - why would Mats Sundin want to come back to Toronto? Why would he want to come back to a city that treated him like s*** after he gave us 13 years of classiness. From the viewpoint of Mats, he probably felt betrayed. On top of that, a large majority of fans didn't even want Mats Sundin back anyways.

So why are we so peeved that Mats Sundin is signing with another team? Because he didn't waive his no-trade clause last year? Cmon guys, maybe Mats Sundin genuinley meant it when he said that he wanted to retire as a leaf. But here's the thing, Mats Sundin is Swedish, and a pretty darn good hockey player, but he's human as we are. Maybe he changed his mind, maybe he wanted to play hockey after all. Can we actually be mad at Mats because he's not playing for the Leafs anymore even though we treated him like S*** last year?
Lets see... he cost us Higgins, a 1st and 2nd rounder, Pateryn, and whoever we would have got for the other Muskoka 5, as they likely would have departed with him. And a chance at Stamkos/Doughty. So yes we can be mad at Sundin.

MSP4LYFE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 12:12 AM
Metallian*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhyZa View Post
ah I'm not that mad at AJ. BJ's aren't even close to be honest (in fact I didn't even want him back for another 3-4 mediocre years, and 3 months of good contract year pitching), and no one should have honestly believed he had any allegiance to Toronto. Mats on the other hand, we held him to high standards. That's the part that people miss, if just anybody did this that's one thing but people expected more from him, otherwise a stand up guy and class act.
AJ is a class act and a competitor

what he wants is to win a world series, and the yankees have a much better chance + they were willing to commit to him long term + they paid more

can you really hold it against the guy?

Old
12-19-2008, 12:13 AM
Anthrax442

vCash: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
AJ is a class act and a competitor

what he wants is to win a world series, and the yankees have a much better chance + they were willing to commit to him long term + they paid more

can you really hold it against the guy?
serves JP right giving him a stupid contract. Btw why is he still a GM? he is horrible..

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 12:14 AM
Metallian*

Quote:
Cmon guys, ease of the hate.
Cmon guy, read the thread title

Quote:
not once did he complain or want out of the organization.
maybe we've been mistaking loyalty for complacency all these years

Old
12-19-2008, 12:19 AM
bcool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSP4LYFE View Post
Lets see... he cost us Higgins, a 1st and 2nd rounder, Pateryn, and whoever we would have got for the other Muskoka 5, as they likely would have departed with him. And a chance at Stamkos/Doughty. So yes we can be mad at Sundin.
Be mad at MLSE and Ferguson then. Mats Sundin had a NTC in his contract and he had every right to exercise it.

bcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 12:25 AM
Psyfer
Thrashers forever

Can't wait to watch Vancouver fall in the first 2 rounds and it wouldn't surprise if he does this same **** next year.

Psyfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 12:27 AM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Top 2 current threads :

Thank you Mats
Screw you Mats

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 12:58 AM
Casey Ryback

I have been reading/viewing hfboards for months now and have been interested in what a lot of you have been saying, but to be honest I think a lot of you are hypocrites.
Mats was our leader for more years than i could get a *****, and I will love him until we do or do not raise #13 to the rafters.
A whole lot of you bashers have been flip flopping your beliefs on many things to do with the leafs... and mats was one of them. You wanted him to stay... you wanted him to waive... whatever.
So now... after he was just about forced out of the organization, he chooses to do something for himself (that works quite well with the cap) you bash him (after he fulfilled his duty as a member of our team). He has changed his mind just as most of you did along the way.
Until the end mats... I'm with you all the way.

Casey Ryback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 01:05 AM
Kessick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Ryback View Post
Until the end mats... I'm with you all the way.
I think the "Thank You, Mats" thread is that way -->

Kessick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 01:15 AM
Metallian*

Quote:
Be mad at MLSE and Ferguson then. Mats Sundin had a NTC in his contract and he had every right to exercise it.
why be mad at management? if they refused Mats likely would have walked......"mats is a selfish *******!" people would say, same inevitable result

Old
12-19-2008, 01:16 AM
Metallian*

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
This man was a Leaf for 15 years and poured his heart and soul, you all love him deep down come on. Show one of the best Leafs of all time some respect.
like the other guy said, go to the thanks mats thread....

Old
12-19-2008, 01:21 AM
DEMOMAHN*

Send a message via MSN to DEMOMAHN*
Quote:
Seriously, Vancouver?
You would have preferred Montreal or Ottawa, I guess.

DEMOMAHN* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 01:23 AM
CrazyCanucks

I predict there will be a similar thread in about 5 years about Burkie.

He is more of an ego than Mats Sundin could ever be. **** you Burke!

Nonis is cool, he likes Tim Horton donuts

CrazyCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 01:24 AM
Metallian*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iceberg View Post
R A N G E R S

Old
12-19-2008, 01:25 AM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Maybe a cup contender?

iPunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 01:25 AM
Kessick

Quote:
Nope. I preferred retirement, since he's the one who said he wanted to retire as a Leaf.

Or if he ended up on my second favourite team NJ or my other playoff bandwagon team, San Jose... I would have cheered for him then. I don't care about New York or Vancouver, so I'm not going to go out of my way to follow them or cheer for their success.

Sadly, it seems Daniel Alfredsson cares more about the Senators franchise than Mats Sundin did for the Maple Leafs.

Old
12-19-2008, 01:28 AM
Metallian*

Quote:
Sadly, it seems Daniel Alfredsson cares more about the Senators franchise than Mats Sundin did for the Maple Leafs.
Its true....and I'm going to go puke now, kthxbye

Old
12-19-2008, 01:30 AM
Kessick

Quote:
Its true....and I'm going to go puke now, kthxbye
Sorry, man. It hit me when Alfredsson signed that extension and I've been waiting to see how this Sundin thing played out. Too bad Sundin didn't take a page out of his fellow Swede's book: how to retire properly and make decisions in a couple of months.

Old
12-19-2008, 01:44 AM
Schweiz

i can understand the anger (i have some too), but some people here are overdoing it. so a 'screw you mats' thread comes out the day he signs with VAN...umm ok...we all knew at the beginning of the season that he would not be here in Toronto, and most of you got your wish of him not coming here so we could finish lower in the conference. it just seems untimely to be venting now.

Schweiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 01:46 AM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweiz View Post
i can understand the anger (i have some too), but some people here are overdoing it. so a 'screw you mats' thread comes out the day he signs with VAN...umm ok...we all knew at the beginning of the season that he would not be here in Toronto, and most of you got your wish of him not coming here so we could finish lower in the conference. it just seems untimely to be venting now.
When would have been better venting? While he was a poker star and trying to convince people poker was just as intense as hockey?

**** you Mats and your pocket rockets!

iPunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 01:51 AM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffy View Post
I will ask everyone to keep it within the bounds of good taste in here, though. You have a right to express your opinions and feelings, but this is not a license to type out profanity laced posts, etc.

It's fine to be upset, but really, some of it's a little too angry in here. The forum is PG-13.

Bear the rules of the site in mind. http://hfboards.com/misc.php?do=cfrules
A reminder. Don't come screaming at me if your post has been deleted.

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 01:57 AM
Schweiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bad Guys View Post
When would have been better venting? While he was a poker star and trying to convince people poker was just as intense as hockey?

**** you Mats and your pocket rockets!
venting would have been more logical earlier in the year since we were all aware he would not be signing with the Leafs and when the opportunity for drafts picks was lost...not way after the fact when he actually signs. i'm a bit upset too, but him signing with VAN has nothing to do with my anger.

Schweiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 04:03 AM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:
R A N G E R S
Yeah who would pick Vancouver, I mean they've scored more goals than New York and have allowed fewer even with Luongo out of the lineup.

Terrible decision by Mats.

God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 06:21 AM
hagg18

I've always wanted to see Mats end his career as a leaf. It feel's terrible that he has now signed with Vancouver. But I still think that he wanted to sign with Toronto, but they couldn't offer him what he wanted, and i'm not talking about cash! I think that Mats didn't want his last one or two seasons to be with a team that's not fighting for the cup. He wanted to play for a team that WANT to win Stanley cup. Otherwise he wouldn't be motivated for another season. And i think he wanted to play for Toronto and waited as long as he could to see if they could offer him what he wanted. But when CF, RW and finally Burke said that Toronto is going to rebuildt, in other words, not fighting for Stanley cup, he knew Toronto couldn't offer him what he wanted. So for now I'm sad that Sundin isn't a leaf any more, but I'm in hopes that he'll win his Stanley cup and hopefully he'll return to the leafs organization one day. Because to me, he's still a legend as a leaf and his great leadership is something that Toronto will appriciate and take use of in the future. So good luck Mats and hope to see you in Toronto again soon!

hagg18 is offline   Reply With Quote