HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sundin to Vancouver (All Talk Here)

Old
12-19-2008, 12:58 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
He took less than 10M actually so that Vancouver would have enough to acquire up to a 6M player at the deadline.
he got $10 million pro-rated

Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 01:17 AM
gravytrain6t

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
I just don't get it. Why are you guys so down on your team? EFF Mats Sundin. What the hell has Mats Sundin "The Savior" ever won in this league? He was never going to suddenly propel the Rangers into Cup land.

With that said, so many of you are really down on your team. I just don't get it. They aren't losing, in fact, they keep winning inspite of all the negatives around here. Drury is coming on, Rosival just had an awesome game, Henrik is amazing, Vally is one of the best backup's in this league.

I just don't understand.. is being a first place team this miserable? I can't put my finger on what the hell you guys feel is wrong with your team. I just don't freaking get it.
Nice. An Islander fan too. We should be grateful for what we have.
And how can anyone blame this on Sather. What did this old **** get? Like 20 mil? The only reason why he sat on it so long is because his agent wanted to see if Sather was going to make this big trade to shed room for cap space and give Sundin a bigger contract.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 01:23 AM
NYR Viper

im actually kinda happy sather didnt try and gut this team for sundin.....any move he would have made would have made another hole that he would have needed to fill....although i still want him to trade prucha/fritsche in order to save cap space....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 01:32 AM
BronxNYR

because of the system Renney has installed, Defense first!!!!!
Thats why Drury or most of the rest of the team don't drive to the net as much as they should..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
Drury was "out of his slump" after the hat trick in the TB game, wasn't he? I want to see some consistant play for the next month before I declare he's out of the slump. I still don't get why he doesn't go to the net like he did in Buffalo. When he scores, he gets garbage goals. Why isn't he parked in front of the net?

BronxNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 01:35 AM
bcrt2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
This has become my favorite Ranger complaint. The extra 5 games that every other team needs to play to catch up will all be wins, so clearly the Rangers are truly a 12 or 13 seed.

The way the NHL is now, 4 through 8 in the conference can all be considered borderline playoff teams.
I look at 3 things.

1) All things even, Rangers are still 2nd even with the game in hand according to their team points per game/projection of points for the year. But they are very close to the rest of the pack (7 projected points separating 2nd from 7th) and shootout wins (which don't translate to success in the playoffs) are padding their stats.

2) The Rangers thus far have had the 2nd easiest schedule in the league (behind Boston). Only Boston has played teams with a worse record on average. Also, they've faced teams with the 4th worst goals for/goals allowed differential on average so far this season..

3) Their schedule gets harder in the stretch between December 20th to January 31st, and then again in the final 7 games to close off the season.

Despite the fact that if all things are equal and the Rangers keep winning at the clip they are now they could make the playoffs, I think when the team difficulty gets slightly harder, we'll start seeing losing streaks and this team slip down to a bubble team. And I also think we'll see Toronto come on (who have had the hardest schedule so far) and be a thorn in the side of the Rangers in terms of battling for the playoff spot.

bcrt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 01:37 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Voice of reason here.

I still have a lot of hope for this team. Not cup contenders, but a playoff team at the least.
You see your avatar right there? Marc Staal. Lets wrap him up. Dubinsky, Zherdev, Cally, and so much of the young up and coming talent we have in this organization. Toronto thought they were going places when they signed Blake, Sundin and who ever. It's not about who you sign and the name. It's about building chemistry. Like someone wanted to trade Dubinsky for Kovalchuk? Kovy is the better player. Maybe always will be. But Dubi has been with this team. Is becoming acclimated with being a Ranger.
We as Ranger fans have to all understand that winning comes from within. Then when you're coming close but just can't get over the hump then, if you can, u pick up the big name. Kind of like what we did with Messier.
I want other teams to be saying dam. "I wish we had so and so from the Rangers." What do u think it would take to get him? It seems like it's always the other way around.

Old
12-19-2008, 01:47 AM
JamesG1221

Shanny anyone?

JamesG1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 01:48 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
im actually kinda happy sather didnt try and gut this team for sundin.....any move he would have made would have made another hole that he would have needed to fill....although i still want him to trade prucha/fritsche in order to save cap space....
Exactly. Let just move forward and continue to build from within and if this Rangers team has to focus on acquiring anyone, it's retaining what we have. All the young guys that are continuing to grow in this league. Sundin was a great Leaf. But I don't even remember Toronto making any type of splash in the playoffs, let alone win a Cup during his tenure there.
Sundin basically did what Jagr did. Except in two different leagues obviously. They're both old. Can still play but they do realize. That they're old. They're level of play is not going to last forever.
So what did they do? They went on and took the money and ran!!
The Canucks shouldn't of even got him imo! I'm certainly not jealous of them picking up a guy for 10 mil/yr and close to celebrating his 40th birthday probably in Sweden some place.

Old
12-19-2008, 02:22 AM
eco's bones

The reason why many of us wanted a 37 year old Sundin is because the Rangers do not have the offense to be considered a serious contender. We are going at just over a two goals per game clip if you subtract our 8 winning shootout goals. It's almost become the typical Ranger victory--go into overtime tied at two and win the shootout. The Rangers may be headed for the playoffs--or they may be headed for a collapse like Ottawa last year--minus the goaltending headache. Whatever--I do not see the Rangers getting past the first round with the team they currently have. They might not even win a playoff game.

Another thing--when I hear we're going to gut the team bringing in this guy or that guy and when we're talking about waiving Prucha, Fritsche or trading third, fourth guys or trading our 'elite' players--they're getting elite money anyway, so they must be I have to laugh.

Shananan by the way is done. We should not go back down that road.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 02:26 AM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

Who needs Sundin anyway? I like the #13 we have...

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 02:34 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanktasticVoyage35 View Post
Who needs Sundin anyway? I like the #13 we have...
we actually did. Our dreadful PP could have definitely used him.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 03:03 AM
gravytrain6t

I still can care less about Sundin. Sundin went for the money. This team can't afford to shell that out. Where has Sundin gotten Toronto? He has the stats but at least Shannahan is a proven winner. And I don't want him back either. Then we may as well bring back Messier. It will be like "old timers day" every night at the Garden.

Worry about presenting nice contract proposals for Dubinsky and Zherdev. The following year, Staal.And Del Zotto looks promising. Grachev looks promising. Doyle. Sather made a commitment to going with his picks and player development. Much like he did with the Oilers. He better well stick to it. And signing Sundin for 10 mil per right now. That would be hypocritical. Right now he's sticking to his word. Our oldest player is Naslund (who is playing pretty well). He will be off the Rangers roster younger than guys like Sundin signing 10 million dollar contracts.

Gutting the team has to do with losing players. Not bringing in "this guy or that guy." I'm not sure what you mean in that sentence Eco.

Old
12-19-2008, 04:20 AM
9darter
Soft Euro

Good. Fine.
I'd have liked Sundin in Ranger blue but now it's time to move on.
Canucks fans are happy, some of their comments are pretty funny:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae44 View Post
Did he get a NTC? Think what we can get for him at the deadline.

9darter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 07:43 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
what a palaver!

I am happy he chose Vancouver! good luck to him!

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 08:15 AM
Vitto79

Well this is a let down for sure

I am one of the only people that think the team needs to actually get a scoring winger and a 3rd line C which moves Drury to the wing full time

I will throw out Antropov, J.Lundqvist as an example.............say it cost good pick, descent prospect like Sauer.........Prucha, Dawes, Fritsche...........and I still say Kalinin's salary needs to go

In my fantasy land they can fit this under the cap

Antropov, Gomez, Drury
Naslund, Dubinsky, Zherdev
Korpikoski, Lundqvist, Callahan
Sjostrom, Betts, Orr, Voros

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 09:13 AM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Well this is a let down for sure

I am one of the only people that think the team needs to actually get a scoring winger and a 3rd line C which moves Drury to the wing full time

I will throw out Antropov, J.Lundqvist as an example.............say it cost good pick, descent prospect like Sauer.........Prucha, Dawes, Fritsche...........and I still say Kalinin's salary needs to go

In my fantasy land they can fit this under the cap

Antropov, Gomez, Drury
Naslund, Dubinsky, Zherdev
Korpikoski, Lundqvist, Callahan
Sjostrom, Betts, Orr, Voros
Exactly Fantasy land

Look at the junk you are willing to give up, they dont have any value and Sauer is just back from injury

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 09:42 AM
Stepan Razor

This team needs a rock defenseman, not another center. Let's not get all up in arms about this and be thankful we didn't deal prospects with any sort of value.

Stepan Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
Exactly Fantasy land

Look at the junk you are willing to give up, they dont have any value and Sauer is just back from injury
The more I think of it the more I think they are going to deal their 1st round pick..............

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 10:20 AM
MikeyLikesHockey

Time to call Shanny.

This team needs a legitimate PP goal scorer.

19 points last year on the pp. He has a killer shot, played the pk unit last year and brings REAL (not drury leadership) Leadership to a team.

I know he's old, but hey who would you rather have in the lineup, Nigel Dawes or Brendan Shanahan.

Bring the Shanny back. We have the cap space without having to even drop a player...

He wants to play for us, and he's had lots of time to have his leg heal from the injuries he had last year.

It can really only make this team better.

I know some people will say we want to get faster....as long as you have colton orr in the lineup, your not faster.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 12:17 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
good im glad we didnt get this guy who decided to play mid year. he would've costed us too much. maybe we'll get kovalchuk instead, a much smarter investment

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Wait, after getting swept up in all this, one thing I forgot.

Didn't Sundin say the reason he declined TOR request to trade him at the deadline was because if his team was going to the cup, he wanted to be with them from the beginning?

How is this any different? Is he a liar? What was the reason for doing that to TOR? Seeing how indecisive he is, is it just him being a drama queen and liking having some power (IE shutting down TOR)?

I just think its funny how things are forgotten once God decides he wants back in and we all hail his greatness..

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 12:46 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragshockey88 View Post
good im glad we didnt get this guy who decided to play mid year. he would've costed us too much. maybe we'll get kovalchuk instead, a much smarter investment
I'm glad too but I can't say that giving up talented young players (which Kovalchuk should cost) is any better...

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 01:11 PM
eco's bones

Of Gomez, Drury, Redden and Roszival I like Gomez the best. All of their contracts though are hurting the team. Neither Gomez or Drury are anywhere near as good as Sundin and the Rangers if they have an offensive leader--at the moment it is Zherdev. We do not have the depth that Drury's Sabres team had a couple seasons back where every line was potentially dangerous every single game. It seems more likely than not that his 30 goal seasons are over--that this scoring by committee experiment more or less means that it is up to Henrik to keep us in contention and that to make the playoffs we are going to have to win a lot of squeakers--a lot of shootouts. Bringing in Sundin may have given us more breathing room at least on some nights.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 01:20 PM
JonnyCash

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
he got $10 million pro-rated
Actually no he got 8-9mil pro-rated.. he left money on the table so that we are able to acquire another player.

JonnyCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 01:25 PM
beastly115

I read somewhere that Slats had two trades ready. One for if Sundin signed and one for if he didn't.

That being said, I hope he stays away from Gaborik. He's already missed like 1/3 of this season.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote