HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

The Derick Brassard injury thread (Current ETA for return, May 1st)

Old
12-19-2008, 07:53 PM
Feicht

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Factor View Post
He's not been so terrible that he is being waived. Think about it.
Only because he doesn't play for Tampa. Have you been paying attention to that circus this year?

There's no way in hell we can get a "real center" without gutting our roster; surely I'm not the only one that sees this. Have we learned nothing over the last few years?

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFRONE View Post
Vermette? Dude has been absolutely terrible this season.
His talent didn't just suddenly disappear. Excellent time to get him (albeit a poor time to sell him).

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 07:55 PM
Stretch Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassard Calder View Post
Dubinsky isn't available. Vermette or Spezza on the other hand might be able to be nabbed.

And Jokinen wouldn't prevent us from anything. He'd only be making $1 million and we could easily waive him again if needed.
How long have you been a fan of the Columbus Blue Jackets? If you've been around for very long (and have been paying attention) you'll quickly understand that if we were to pick up Jokinen off waivers, that would be our move for the year. We don't pick up players and then waive them. We don't play with monopoly money like some other teams.

Jokinen would flat out prevent us from picking up any other offensive players. Take it to the bank!

Stretch Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 08:15 PM
Savante

This would be the perfect time to grab Vermette. I still don't think he's a number one center, but he would be on this team. Ottawa's strong up the middle with Spezza and Fisher, and Vermette is so much more suited for it. He's been awful, but Ottawa has been pretty bad themselves and I think he'd be a great fit. The question is a fair deal, I'm guessing a 2nd and a mid-level prospect would be able to get it done now.

Savante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 08:17 PM
Swade016

Howson will look to deal after that brutal 6-game road swing at the turn of the year. If, after those 6 games, we're within a game of the top-8, I could see him making a move. Otherwise he'll do like every year. Wait til the end, dump some vets for whatever trash he can get, and pray every day for a top-2 pick.

Swade016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 08:23 PM
Brassard Calder

Quote:
How long have you been a fan of the Columbus Blue Jackets? If you've been around for very long (and have been paying attention) you'll quickly understand that if we were to pick up Jokinen off waivers, that would be our move for the year. We don't pick up players and then waive them. We don't play with monopoly money like some other teams.

Jokinen would flat out prevent us from picking up any other offensive players. Take it to the bank!
I've been a fan of the Blue Jackets since their inception. And I HAVE paid attention the entire time. I disagree that picking him up would make us do nothing else, but whatever.

Brassard Calder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 08:45 PM
Stretch Factor

Quote:
I've been a fan of the Blue Jackets since their inception. And I HAVE paid attention the entire time. I disagree that picking him up would make us do nothing else, but whatever.

If you really believe that, then you HAVE not been paying attention. We don't do things like that.

This is not the type of franchise that would spend $1m on a marginal player in the middle of the year and then just waive him because we want to make another move. If we pick up Jokinen, he is our upgrade. End of story.

Stretch Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 08:55 PM
Brassard Calder

Quote:
If you really believe that, then you HAVE not been paying attention. We don't do things like that.

This is not the type of franchise that would spend $1m on a marginal player in the middle of the year and then just waive him because we want to make another move. If we pick up Jokinen, he is our upgrade. End of story.
Okay, first off just because we haven't done something in the past doesn't mean we won't now or in the future. And, if we were to pick up Jokinen and then end up waiving him, I think some other team would pick him up so we wouldn't be on the hook for the money anyway. But, regardless, I don't think were going to end up getting him anyway so it's a moot point. Just because you say it won't happen or end of story doesn't mean that's the end all be all, unless of course you are Scott Howson. And, I'd sure as hell hope, that if we picked him up and ended up staying in the race that Howson would make more moves to try and you know, actually make the playoffs, something that we have never done before. I guess it's just easier to question someone's fandom and say that you are the only one that can be correct.

Last edited by Brassard Calder: 12-19-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old
12-19-2008, 08:57 PM
Renion

Quote:
Okay, first off just because we haven't done something in the past doesn't mean we won't now or in the future. And, if we were to pick up Jokinen and then end up waiving him, I think some other team would pick him up so we wouldn't be on the hook for the money anyway. But, regardless, I don't think were going to end up getting him anyway so it's a moot point. Just because you say it won't happen or end of story doesn't mean that's the end all be all. And, I'd sure as hell hope, that if we picked him up and ended up staying in the race that Howson would make more moves to try and you know, actually make the playoffs, something that we have never done before. I guess it's just easier to question someone's fandom and say that you are the only one that can be correct.
Dude, he ended the story already. Talk about gratuitous text!

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 09:39 PM
sinbin

Please put a heavyweight on your wish list. Crap like this will not happen if we have a top heavyweight on the team. I know it is not Hitch hockey but last night is a prefect example why one is needed. Boll and Dorsett are not the answer to a heavyweight.

The Crunch have Sgroi, Mirasty, Harvey, Rome and Sestito. I don't think very many team will be taking runs at Clay Wilson.

sinbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 11:52 PM
Hilliardsw55
Johnson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbin View Post
Please put a heavyweight on your wish list. Crap like this will not happen if we have a top heavyweight on the team. I know it is not Hitch hockey but last night is a prefect example why one is needed. Boll and Dorsett are not the answer to a heavyweight.

The Crunch have Sgroi, Mirasty, Harvey, Rome and Sestito. I don't think very many team will be taking runs at Clay Wilson.
Another one of these enforcer ball washers?

Jesus...

Hilliardsw55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 11:57 PM
Swade016

We don't need more penalty minutes. We have plenty. We need skill. Another guy taking penalties and only contributing 4 minutes per game will not stop Brassard from trying to defend a teammate. A stern talking to from Coach and GM will do that.

Swade016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 12:31 AM
chaking

Quote:
In your defense, we aren't the same organization we've been for so long... And we do have a bit of money to spend, although with the economy the way it is - I doubt ownership would go for it unless Gretzky was putting skates on again

chaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 07:11 AM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydawg View Post
After last night's game, we'd be lucky to get a Fedorovesque return for Pazzy.
You do know that Ruth is playing in the WJC don't you and was a 2nd round pick in the draft two years ago. You really think Sergei was worth more than a 2nd round pick. Ruth is an excellent player for Notre Dame and he bought us 3 years of not having to sign him to a contract while developing. could we use Sergei...of course but he wasn't going to re-sign in Columbus and last years team wasn't going to the playoffs so the move needed to be made.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Brassard Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaking View Post
In your defense, we aren't the same organization we've been for so long...
Thank you

Old
12-20-2008, 10:39 AM
jacketracket*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
His talent didn't just suddenly disappear. Excellent time to get him (albeit a poor time to sell him).
Agreed.

Hoping to sign an FA over the summer doesn't work. Short of gutting the team, the CBJ have to go after up-and-comers with proven upside. And as it's mid-season, they'll most likely have to key in on situations where their potential trading partner has an abundance of depth.

That's an extremely short list. And it's getting shorter, as David Krejci is probably out of CBJ price range now.

Vermette struggles a bit out of the gate, and his TOI decreases. So he struggles more. Perfect buy-low opportunity, IMO.

jacketracket* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 02:16 PM
Brassard Calder

Jussi Jokinen cleared waivers so he's staying in Tampa and will play for the Lightning tonight.

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/related/C189/

Old
12-20-2008, 02:21 PM
WrightOn

I'm trying to remember all of the long(er) term injuries that Jackets have suffered due to fights....

Obviously Brassard..

Torres
Klesla

I'm blanking. Aren't there more?

WrightOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 02:32 PM
psycloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbin View Post

The Crunch are also losing a lot.

psycloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 04:52 PM
HockeyMan9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightOn View Post
I'm trying to remember all of the long(er) term injuries that Jackets have suffered due to fights....

Obviously Brassard..

Torres
Klesla

Not this season, but I believe Richardson missed time due to a fight. It was around the same time Klesla got his hand caught in a jersey during a fight.

HockeyMan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 04:59 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightOn View Post

Obviously Brassard..

Torres
Klesla

Dorsett had his finger broken requiring surgery.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 05:48 PM
jacketracket*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMan9 View Post
Not this season, but I believe Richardson missed time due to a fight. It was around the same time Klesla got his hand caught in a jersey during a fight.
Yeah. I remember that one - he got into a fight with Thornton, and got his finger caught in a piece of Thornton's equipment.

jacketracket* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 05:50 PM
RickS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMan9 View Post
Yep, he fought Joe Thornton.

RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 05:50 PM
WrightOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
Dorsett had his finger broken requiring surgery.
That's the one I couldn't recall...

WrightOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 08:51 PM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
You do know that Ruth is playing in the WJC don't you and was a 2nd round pick in the draft two years ago. You really think Sergei was worth more than a 2nd round pick. Ruth is an excellent player for Notre Dame and he bought us 3 years of not having to sign him to a contract while developing. could we use Sergei...of course but he wasn't going to re-sign in Columbus and last years team wasn't going to the playoffs so the move needed to be made.
You completely missed the point of my post. It wasn't a dis on Ruth at all. My post was about Pazzy's value. He's been bad this year and if we were to get a player of Ruth's caliber for him, we'd be lucky.

cydawg is offline   Reply With Quote