HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official 2009 World Junior Championships thread (Habs edition)

Old
01-05-2009, 11:00 PM
buddahsmoka1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I really like Kane out there. You can tell he really grew as the tournament went along. If there is any way that Bob could trade up for him, do it.
Kane is a phenominal player, and agree on his progression throughout the tournament. You could see Quinn's confidence grow with him as well, which was much deserved. He just plays the whole package, he can play hard, hit, crash and band but also has the skills to play very high level hockey. The way he attacks the defense like that is something not many 17 years olds can do in a WJHC final game, hes going to be special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
It seems everyone is drooling over this kid, but who wouldn't?

buddahsmoka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:14 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Kane is a phenominal player, and agree on his progression throughout the tournament. You could see Quinn's confidence grow with him as well, which was much deserved. He just plays the whole package, he can play hard, hit, crash and band but also has the skills to play very high level hockey. The way he attacks the defense like that is something not many 17 years olds can do in a WJHC final game, hes going to be special.

It seems everyone is drooling over this kid, but who wouldn't?
You may remember this too as a West Coaster but I remember Kane being called up to the Giants when he was what 15 or 16. He was just a stick on skates. Its just amazing to see what he is maturing into.

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:20 AM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Kostopolous View Post
You may remember this too as a West Coaster but I remember Kane being called up to the Giants when he was what 15 or 16. He was just a stick on skates. Its just amazing to see what he is maturing into.
Oh for sure man, I haven't seen any Giants games this year(which is ********, I usually see about 5 or 6 a year) and I was amazed at what he has become. I remember even last year he was a little dynamo out there, but now he is a full fledged bulldog on skates. He is powerful and could become a great power forward in the NHL one day. He is that perfect mix that you rarely see, and like I said he can flip the switch and play any role on the ice, its incredible.

Old
01-06-2009, 01:00 AM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
So...who's that Nicola Riopel or Mike Murphy everyone were talking about...

Tokarski while not always looking confortable did a good job tonight and he's a winner.
yeah he played great, I'm not sure he was the player of the game though but anyway, great game for Canada

Mathletic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 01:36 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
He is that centre of the future the Habs have been looking for. Not big, but he does everything out there and leaves it all on the ice.

Tyler Myers really impressed me too. Buffalo has themselves a really good shutdown dman for a long time.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 01:45 AM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
He is that centre of the future the Habs have been looking for. Not big, but he does everything out there and leaves it all on the ice.
Unfortunately, we have no chance of drafting him.

Old
01-06-2009, 06:28 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Pk has been great and I know we we have great defensive prospects but I wish we could get that kid Meyers. Man is he gonna be something else. That's another Komisarek in the making. Do you think the Sabres will switch him for Torp.

Hell, last night there were a ton of players I would love to see on the Habs. Some great players from both teams.

And I agree we have to get Kane. That kid is gonna be something special. Damn too bad Vancouver already has Hodgson.

Last edited by Habs Icing: 01-06-2009 at 09:59 AM.
Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:02 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Unstuck. Was there a bet back there on Tokarski that I should have chased down? Ah well.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:59 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:

Tyler Myers really impressed me too. Buffalo has themselves a really good shutdown dman for a long time.
Good call on Myers. His work along the boards really impressed me. especially in the final. Does not nearly get enough recognition for his play. He was our best strictly defensive player.

I was disappointed with Hickey though. he had lots of problems getting the puck out under pressure

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 01:01 PM
HotPie

Quote:

Agreed but I he's going too high in the draft for us to get him.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 01:23 PM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
I was disappointed with Hickey though. he had lots of problems getting the puck out under pressure
I second this, I think alot of people expecting more out of him. It seemed every time he was on the ice the team was hemmed in their own zone and running around. Not really something you look for in your number one defender and captain. Quinn started playing the Goubolef-Subban and Myers-Aulie pairings ALOT more later in the tournament.

Old
01-06-2009, 01:33 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
I second this, I think alot of people expecting more out of him. It seemed every time he was on the ice the team was hemmed in their own zone and running around. Not really something you look for in your number one defender and captain. Quinn started playing the Goubolef-Subban and Myers-Aulie pairings ALOT more later in the tournament.
i think Quinn started the shuffle vs the US. It's hard to keep up with this stuff sitting in the stands.

Odd how Teubert and Hickey were the only players on the team to come up minus at -3

Goloubef was a surprise for me. I see so little NCAA hockey. He fit in really well.Complimented his partner very well and actually made some of his own rushes

Old
01-06-2009, 01:42 PM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
i think Quinn started the shuffle vs the US. It's hard to keep up with this stuff sitting in the stands.

Odd how Teubert and Hickey were the only players on the team to come up minus at -3

Goloubef was a surprise for me. I see so little NCAA hockey. He fit in really well.Complimented his partner very well and actually made some of his own rushes
People on these boards were bashing him, and I never understood why. I thought he was in the top 4 and played really well. Nothing flashy, but good sound awareness and puck movement and complimented Subban really well. Goubolef knew when to attack with the puck with rushing and passing and also when to stay back as well. By far the most impressive part of his game atleast IMO was his awareness, he reads the play very well and knows where to go and when to go there. He also can move the puck just as well as any defensemen on the that team. Really impressed by Goubolef, I had never seen him play either.

Old
01-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Unstuck. Was there a bet back there on Tokarski that I should have chased down? Ah well.
Doesn't count. The bet was "If he had done wrong, who we would've talked the most about, Pickard or the ones that weren't there..."

He did great....end of story....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 01:53 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
People on these boards were bashing him, and I never understood why. I thought he was in the top 4 and played really well. Nothing flashy, but good sound awareness and puck movement and complimented Subban really well. Goubolef knew when to attack with the puck with rushing and passing and also when to stay back as well. By far the most impressive part of his game atleast IMO was his awareness, he reads the play very well and knows where to go and when to go there. He also can move the puck just as well as any defensemen on the that team. Really impressed by Goubolef, I had never seen him play either.
He was drafted by Sarnia in the O but decided to go NCAA

CBJ has made some good picks lately

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/cody_goloubef

Old
01-06-2009, 01:59 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

Quote:
Goloubef was amongst some of my choices prior to the 2008 draft since I saw him a lot when I was watching McDonagh in his freshman year. Obviously not with our 1st round pick but I really thought that he would still be around at the Kristo pick which he wasn't. He does play a safe game but I wasn't that much in love with him during the tournament. I found that he was a little too tentative in all aspects of his game. But I did see him quite a few times so I know what he's capable of doing and thought that he played a little under what he can do during the whole tournament.

Still.....if the +/- count for something as far as Subban is concerned, well I guess it counts for him as well so he wasn't as bad as some probably thought, and I can be one of them.

And it's Goloubef, though Goubolef seems a little funnier to say...

Old
01-06-2009, 02:03 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

So....anybody want a little Steak "Tatar" for this upcoming draft? This guy will surely be going in the 2nd round, 3rd round at the latest....

In the search of a centerman, I don't know if I watched carefully, but I was really underwhelmed by Jacob Josefson, #26 for the Swedes. Either he didn't play or I didn't see him but he was really under the radar for me...I still like David Rundblad on D who seemed better defensively that I thought he would be. And the kid still is good offensively....

Old
01-06-2009, 09:57 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
So....anybody want a little Steak "Tatar" for this upcoming draft? This guy will surely be going in the 2nd round, 3rd round at the latest....

In the search of a centerman, I don't know if I watched carefully, but I was really underwhelmed by Jacob Josefson, #26 for the Swedes. Either he didn't play or I didn't see him but he was really under the radar for me...I still like David Rundblad on D who seemed better defensively that I thought he would be. And the kid still is good offensively....
Early in the tournament, I was very impressed with Josefsson but his play and ice-time seemed to diminish as the tournament went on. Rundblad looked good to me the entire tournament.

Regarding Tatar, he just kept getting better as the tournament went on. The puck follows him around. I was also very impressed with Evander Kane's progression. I thought he looked a bit overwhelmed in Canada's first game vs Czech Republic but he just kept getting better and gaining more confidence. He also had his coach's confidence as Kane became one of Canada's top PK'ers and he even got some shifts during the 4-on-4 OT vs Russia. Kane was fantastic along the wall. His draft stock surely shot up as a result of his play in WJC. As I've mentioned before, Kulikov looked very good in all situations.

Sidenote: Ryan Ellis and Keith Aulie were on my flight out of Ottawa this morning. The entire plane cheered for them as they walked down the aisle (their seats were at the back and they were the last ones to board) and they just had these bashful "Aw Shucks" smiles. After the flight, I shook their hands and my wife got their autographs on her Gold Medal game ticket stub.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 10:35 PM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
Goloubef was amongst some of my choices prior to the 2008 draft since I saw him a lot when I was watching McDonagh in his freshman year. Obviously not with our 1st round pick but I really thought that he would still be around at the Kristo pick which he wasn't. He does play a safe game but I wasn't that much in love with him during the tournament. I found that he was a little too tentative in all aspects of his game. But I did see him quite a few times so I know what he's capable of doing and thought that he played a little under what he can do during the whole tournament.

Still.....if the +/- count for something as far as Subban is concerned, well I guess it counts for him as well so he wasn't as bad as some probably thought, and I can be one of them.

And it's Goloubef, though Goubolef seems a little funnier to say...
LOL, I think I have been typing Goubolef the whole time haha. The thing with the WJC is that players are told and also naturally tend to tone down their games. Coaches would like to see more simple game and the players don't want to take too many chances out there that might hurt the team. So I think that Goloubef tuned his game down to play a more high percentage game. From the reports I have read about him, he enjoys to rush the puck and make plays in the offensive zone...you kind of have to give him the benefit of the doubt. I saw a flash of it in that one rush, but when your playing beside someone like Subban who thrives in those situations you also want to take it a bit easy and play it homer a bit.

Old
01-06-2009, 11:18 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Good call on Myers. His work along the boards really impressed me. especially in the final. Does not nearly get enough recognition for his play. He was our best strictly defensive player.

I thought he was the best player game-in-game-out. Human eraser.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote