HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Kaberle

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2004, 05:27 PM
Bignasti

vCash: 500
Kaberle

Seems like the Leafs have an extra offensive d-man now -no question the Oil have an extra d-d-man. It'd be pretty impressive if Lowe could somehow get a pp qb and a #1 centre in a matter of days. How about Staios and Rita for Kaberle?

Old
03-04-2004, 05:41 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
Id rather try fling Salo out to Toronto, word is they need a backup so maybe Tommy plus Rita for Kaberle might work out?

Old
03-04-2004, 05:45 PM
copperandblue

If the deal is meant to boost the Oil into the playoffs I would say no.

The only two guys that I can imagine would interest the LEafs would most likely be Staios or Smith and I think if Lowe shipped either of those guys at this point it would really really demoralize the team.

Unless he can get him for a bunch of spare parts like Fergy and Cross but that would be impossible.

Old
03-04-2004, 05:58 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

I think Lowe's committed to Staios for the next three years. Rita I can see being traded, although Lowe has been seemingly reluctant to include the once highly-touted prospect in any deal.

Essentially the only players that Toronto would be interested in, and that Lowe would consider trading, are Smith and Salo. Smith would be the Witt-type player that the Leafs might want to further shore up their blue line, while Salo provides a serviceable back-up in case Belfour wants to rest up for the playoffs. But I don't think either of Smith or Salo, or even a combination of the two, would be enough to send Kaberle our way.

Of course, if we falter over the next two games, Lowe may be tempted to send Nedved to the Leafs along with Smith, which might get some attention.

Old
03-04-2004, 06:11 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I wouldn't balk at Lowe giving up the Flyers first and a prospect if it could get us a offensive Dman. Now, certainly not a rent-a-player, but somebody in the 24-25 age range who's good for 35-40 points.

Old
03-04-2004, 06:16 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I wouldn't balk at Lowe giving up the Flyers first and a prospect if it could get us a offensive Dman. Now, certainly not a rent-a-player, but somebody in the 24-25 age range who's good for 35-40 points.
Just curious, who did you have in mind? I personally wouldn't mind going after Dick Tarnstrom, although the Pens would never give him up. And he is about 5 years older than your specified age range.

Old
03-04-2004, 06:23 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned
Just curious, who did you have in mind? I personally wouldn't mind going after Dick Tarnstrom, although the Pens would never give him up. And he is about 5 years older than your specified age range.
I second the idea of Tarnstrom... I think they actually might give him up for some reason.

Maybe a guy like Brian Campbell could be looked at, although I don't think he'd be a huge improvement over Bergie. Andy Demore could probably be had for nothing and might be worth a shot.

Berard might be a good fit too.

EDIT: The only guy I'd give up Philly's first for is Tarnstrom.

Old
03-04-2004, 06:24 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Say it with me people....

PAVEL KUBINA

Just the type of guy we need...problem is it would take an arm and a leg to get him.

Old
03-04-2004, 06:34 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Delmore could probably be acquired for a late round pick. But he's really not a defenseman; if you think Bergeron looked bad early this season... Although it is possible that we could play Delmore ONLY on the PP, but I don't really like that idea at all.

I haven't really seen Campbell play all that much, so I can't make any comments there.

Kubina would be worth a shot, but like LMHF said, there is no way we're getting him, unless we trade away someone valuable on the playing roster, which may end up doing more harm than good.

Old
03-04-2004, 07:03 PM
Mr Sakich

I posted thi on the main board - smith plus a first for Kaberle.

Kaberle is that good, I would do this in a second as he would be our #1 dman.

Old
03-04-2004, 07:06 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
I posted thi on the main board - smith plus a first for Kaberle.

Kaberle is that good, I would do this in a second as he would be our #1 dman.
That's a big time overpay... he's a liablility in his own end and hasn't improved at all in the past 3 seasons.

Old
03-04-2004, 07:51 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Say it with me people....

PAVEL KUBINA

Just the type of guy we need...problem is it would take an arm and a leg to get him.
There is no way Tampa is moving Kubina, they're near the top of the Eastern conference and he's there #1 d-man..

Old
03-04-2004, 07:54 PM
Matts

How about Pronger to the Leaves?

They could use a young centre and the Leaves have Stajan. They also have Antripov and Carlo C. And they have a young netminder in Tellquist.

So given what Stl needs, those guys and TO would be perfect trading partners.

Old
03-04-2004, 07:57 PM
Hemmer

Guys...I wouldn't give up a 2nd for Tarnstrom. He's Diet Delmore is he not?

Rita for Berard. Simple. Gives the Hawks a nice Finn to try out on Ruutu's wing and gets us our PP QB.

Old
03-04-2004, 11:11 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
The only guy I'd give up Philly's first for is Tarnstrom.
You can't be serious. Even for a 2nd rounder I'd have to think long and hard about it.

Old
03-04-2004, 11:34 PM
Allan

Bill Watters on Sportsnet just said that Ferguson is looking at Ulanov, among others, because they are looking to get a bit tougher. I don't think the Oilers could get enough for him to make it worthwhile, though.

Old
03-05-2004, 09:21 AM
Oil_in_my_veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
Bill Watters on Sportsnet just said that Ferguson is looking at Ulanov, among others, because they are looking to get a bit tougher. I don't think the Oilers could get enough for him to make it worthwhile, though.
I heard that and shook my head. Ulanov has been our best defenseman since he got here. I think you're right. he's worth more to us that he would be to the Laughs. as long as we're in the playoff hunt, I can't see us moving anyone off the current roster except Ferguson. and we're not going to be eliminated by Tuesday.

I think Delmore and Berard could spark some interest but only if it's a non-roster player going the other way. Chicago might want to hold on to the only offense d-man they've got.

Old
03-05-2004, 09:41 AM
J.Money

Ulanov is starting to look tired out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Oilfan
I heard that and shook my head. Ulanov has been our best defenseman since he got here. I think you're right. he's worth more to us that he would be to the Laughs. as long as we're in the playoff hunt, I can't see us moving anyone off the current roster except Ferguson. and we're not going to be eliminated by Tuesday.

I think Delmore and Berard could spark some interest but only if it's a non-roster player going the other way. Chicago might want to hold on to the only offense d-man they've got.
Something to consider. I think I'd pass on Kaberle and look at Coliacovo. He has the skillset and we'd have him for a longtime.

Old
03-05-2004, 10:22 AM
Oil_in_my_veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Money
Something to consider. I think I'd pass on Kaberle and look at Coliacovo. He has the skillset and we'd have him for a longtime.
I'd rather give Igor a night off than trade him while we're still in the race. Coliacovo is ok but we're already got Woywitka and Lynch who deserve a shot.

to those who think we could get Kaberle:
to be realistic, Toronto would never give up Kaberle unless it was Brewer going the other way.

Old
03-05-2004, 01:07 PM
Master Lok

Guys, I think you're all looking for the buy now - quick fix answer. Pavel Kubina, Pronger are not available. Berard and Delmore might be, but would they IMPROVE our team? As much as I have been on Bergeron's case this season, I would rather give the time to Bergeron as I don't think he's much worse than Berard and definitely NOT worse than Delmore. Why give up anything in trade when we might already have the answer here in Edmonton. Besides if you got these guys, who sits out?

Brewer- Smith
Staios - Bergeron
Ulanov - Cross/Semenov.

Old
03-05-2004, 01:13 PM
GoM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
That's a big time overpay... he's a liablility in his own end and hasn't improved at all in the past 3 seasons.
Over the past 3 years, he's improved his defensive play (this year in particular), and while his numbers have dropped some this year (likely due to his better defensive play), he is far from a liability, and definately improved in the past 3 seasons.

Old
03-05-2004, 01:30 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoM
Over the past 3 years, he's improved his defensive play (this year in particular), and while his numbers have dropped some this year (likely due to his better defensive play), he is far from a liability, and definately improved in the past 3 seasons.
He still won't hit anyone, can't clear the front of the net, and gets beat in nearly every physical battle he gets involved with.

Old
03-05-2004, 02:08 PM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
Forget about Bill Watters said, he's been talking about Ulanov to the Leafs for about two months now, you'd think he was related the way he's always talking about him.

As for the topic at hand, unless it's something along the lines of Brewer and Kaberle being centrepieces of a trade I would hate to see it.

The Smith & 1st is overpayment IMO but still as a Leafs fan I wouldn't like to see it. Maybe we can talk about that 1st in the off season.

Try calling Atlanta and making a pitch for his brother.

Closed Thread