HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Out of the Ordinary" Jacob Markstrom

Old
12-19-2008, 05:45 PM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
"Out of the Ordinary" Jacob Markstrom

Tonight at 7pm, from the Air Canada Centre in Toronto, Canada, it is...

the World Junior Championship debut as...

Florida's 2008 2nd round pick...

Jacob Markstrom

TV: TSN / TSNHD & MYP2P.EU

Career & Current Stats

Season Team GP GAA Save %
2008-09 Brynäs 27 2.19 .926
2007-08 Brynäs J20 22 2.00 .921
  Brynäs J18 1 3.00 .906
2006-07 Gästrikland 8 3.20 .890
  Brynäs J18 13 2.05 .911
Brynäs J20 1 2.77 .903
Team Sweden U17 7 2.57 .904

News & Notes
NHL.com Feature Store on Jacob Markstrom
wiki WJC Info
HockeyFutures Player Profile

The future....is near!

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Can this be seen on internet

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 05:57 PM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias4Prez View Post
Can this be seen on internet
myp2p.eu will have it, just check in the forums section. You might have to download software for it, but overall, its a great site.

Old
12-19-2008, 05:59 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

looks like he's not starting...

Old
12-19-2008, 06:02 PM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

Ugh that sucks, I just saw it. Waste of 20 minutes putting up the post lol. Maybe he will give up five goals in the first two minutes, and Markstrom can come in and shine lol.

Anyways...Lakers at Heat tonight...woohoo lol

Old
12-19-2008, 06:04 PM
sinDer

www.hockeystreams.com

This site is just the real deal

40$ for all NHL games, archived games, and WJC

sinDer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 06:07 PM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

Well even though there is no Markstrom, the top two picks in next years draft (Hedman & Tavares) will be facing off against one another.

Old
12-19-2008, 07:19 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
http://www.justin.tv/hateme

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 07:29 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
JT already scored, so i was kind of happy to see Markstrom not starting. If that makes sense in a way, game just started and already got scored on and i was like oh crap, i hope this doesnt mean hes guna have a crappy game or ruin his confidence.. so kind of relieved to see it wasnt him

Egblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 07:33 PM
CanadianPantherFan
#CatsAreComing

Sweden has the black rapper in net instead "Mark in the park" or something like that. He's made a couple nice saves,but he pulled the Alex Auld earlier by facing the inside of the net and trying to make a backwards glove hand save which turned into a goal by being out of position.

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 08:01 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
They said Canada was going to switch goalies part of the way through the game and they were gonna give him a warmup. I wonder if Sweden will do the same with Markstrom?

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 03:17 AM
CanadianPantherFan
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
They said Canada was going to switch goalies part of the way through the game and they were gonna give him a warmup. I wonder if Sweden will do the same with Markstrom?
Did they? I had to leave for Christmas party.

Old
12-20-2008, 10:13 AM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
Did they? I had to leave for Christmas party.
Nope. Owuya played all game and was pretty damn good considering the chances that Team Canada had.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 12:20 AM
CanadianPantherFan
#CatsAreComing

Bobby Mac of Tsn/HF board poster selects: Jacob Markstrom as the #1 player to watch in the U20 tourny starting tomorrow. I expected top five, but #1 is Crosby/Oveckhin territory

Anyone making tourny thread,sticky?

Old
12-27-2008, 02:34 PM
Tuco

Any news on Markstrom yet?

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 02:38 PM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Any news on Markstrom yet?
I posted something in the WJC thread that is sticky'd up top.

Old
12-27-2008, 03:56 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
I posted something in the WJC thread that is sticky'd up top.
Thanks pb

Old
12-31-2008, 11:28 AM
Pellegrino

I've seen Markström for some years now and he's a fantastic prospect. Many experts think he's going to be the best swedish goalkeeper of all time together with "Pekka" Lindmark and Pelle Lindbergh, a level better than Lundqvist.

Me and many others believe he could do OK in NHL right now, but he's a guy with patience.

I read an interview with him today in which they asked if he's going to Florida Panthers next season. He replied: - No, there's no way that I go over to NHL already next season. I have no NHL clause in my contract. I haven't even thought about it.

But that's fine for me, as I'm a Brynäsfan, the club he plays for at the moment. By the way, we had 3 goalkeepers drafted in the last NHL draft

Pellegrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 11:36 AM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

NO WAY I want this KID rushed into the league...NO WAY! Let him finish his deal with Brynas next season, come here and play a year in Rochester, then we go from there. This kid has shown flashes of excellence, and there is no reason Martin should rush him in any way, especially with an option to go with one of two good goaltenders in the offseason. We all want to see him wear a Panthers jersey, but I have no problem waiting a few years for that.

Old
12-31-2008, 11:47 AM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
NO WAY I want this KID rushed into the league...NO WAY! Let him finish his deal with Brynas next season, come here and play a year in Rochester, then we go from there. This kid has shown flashes of excellence, and there is no reason Martin should rush him in any way, especially with an option to go with one of two good goaltenders in the offseason. We all want to see him wear a Panthers jersey, but I have no problem waiting a few years for that.
I'm usually of the opinion that we should not bring up players too quickly, but somehow I think Markstrom may be ready earlier. So I would be fine if he skipped Rochester and came straight to the Panthers after finishing his contract with Brynas.

Old
12-31-2008, 11:53 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
I'm usually of the opinion that we should not bring up players too quickly, but somehow I think Markstrom may be ready earlier. So I would be fine if he skipped Rochester and came straight to the Panthers after finishing his contract with Brynas.
Y'see, this is a touchy one...whether to say "yeah, he's playing like a generational talent and should be able to handle the NHL at a young age like, say, Martin Brodeur or Patrick Roy." Or, are we overhyping him and whereas he has the potential to be a very good goalie someday, if we rush him over he'll be ruined forever, or develop to no more than backup quality?

Really tough to tell until we can see him facing opponents on the narrower North American ice surface. If his positioning is due to instinct, and his play due to superb athleticism, then by all means he's ready now...otherwise if he's having a good season due to being technically sound, he could struggle if anything in the playing surface and rink setup is different, as it is in NHL hockey.

But...no risk, no reward...

12-31-2008, 12:25 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
Y'see, this is a touchy one...whether to say "yeah, he's playing like a generational talent and should be able to handle the NHL at a young age like, say, Martin Brodeur or Patrick Roy." Or, are we overhyping him and whereas he has the potential to be a very good goalie someday, if we rush him over he'll be ruined forever, or develop to no more than backup quality?

Really tough to tell until we can see him facing opponents on the narrower North American ice surface. If his positioning is due to instinct, and his play due to superb athleticism, then by all means he's ready now...otherwise if he's having a good season due to being technically sound, he could struggle if anything in the playing surface and rink setup is different, as it is in NHL hockey.

But...no risk, no reward...
Yeah, I see your point, and agree of course that it is not an easy call. It's just that the little I have seen from him at the WJC, coupled with his stats from SEL, his size and the fact that he is a Swede (they are winners, and we don't have any at the moment) make me want him here fast. Granted we don't have a real goalie problem (unless we want to make one) right now, so I can wait that one more Brynas year.

Old
01-01-2009, 11:09 AM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

I concur, I think the Panthers will give Markstrom every opportunity to make the team after his contract with Brynas expires(if they sign him by then, of course). Some goalies don't need to be 22-23 before they're ready to play in the NHL. It will depend on how he performs in training camp that year IMO.

Dread Clawz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

I think he looks better then mason looked last year and look at him with Columbus this year... He just had 2 straight shutouts... If a goalie is big and has good reflexes and angles at a young age he can do it... I feel like if Detroit picked markstrom they would have him in their team next year

Old
01-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias4Prez View Post
I think he looks better then mason looked last year and look at him with Columbus this year... He just had 2 straight shutouts... If a goalie is big and has good reflexes and angles at a young age he can do it... I feel like if Detroit picked markstrom they would have him in their team next year
Funny you say that. I was just perusing through the WJC board, and Swedish posters are saying that Detroit's head Euro scout who has been responsible for drafting all of their Euro stars the last two decades, Hakan Anderson, was on a Swedish sports show recently. He said that he told the Wings to draft Markstrom, and they decided not to listen to him and took McCollum instead. How big of a break is that for us??? I don't understand why they woudn't listen to Anderson with his track record. The only reason I can think of is the uncertainty of Markstrom coming over, whereas McCollum is American so you know he's going to play in the NHL. But still, I'd rather have Markstrom no question, even though McCollum is a great goalie prospect too.

Markstrom's numbers for this tourney so far are insane, 4GP, 0.67 GAA, 97.4 SV%, 1 shutout. Now I am torn between Sweden and the U.S., as I am expecting the U.S. to beat Slovakia. I just hope it's a good game no matter what the outcome.

Dread Clawz is online now   Reply With Quote