HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Crosby or Malkin?

View Poll Results: ?
Crosby 167 47.31%
Malkin 186 52.69%
Voters: 353. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-23-2008, 10:52 AM
Jaded-Fan

vCash: 500
I will ask again. You are an owner. Who is more likely to sell out yuour arena over the coming years? Sell more merchandise? Get your team on national television? Crosby or Malkin? Crosby or any other player in the league? Tell me that this vote should not be 100% in Crosby's favor before you compare skills at all.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 01:19 PM
Siberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
I will ask again. You are an owner. Who is more likely to sell out yuour arena over the coming years? Sell more merchandise? Get your team on national television? Crosby or Malkin? Crosby or any other player in the league? Tell me that this vote should not be 100% in Crosby's favor before you compare skills at all.
Well, if selling merchandise is more important than the actual result then sure. I believe most voters here didn't really have that in mind. Crosby is advertised without limits by the media, so if financial reasons are prevailed than Crosby should be picked over anybody else. Remember, Crosby doesn't stop!

Siberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 01:30 PM
wildone26*

Malkin will win the scoring race and MVP awards this year. I just feel it is his year. It doesnt mean he is going to be better than Crosby overall for their careers. As for marketability of course Crosby will win that vs anyone but would he still if Malkin or Ovechkin were not Russian? It would be alot closer if one of them was a North American. Both have the great skills as well, and if anything have more personality than Crosby does, or atleast types that are likeable (eg-not whiny about being checked).

wildone26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 02:16 AM
Infinite Vision*

This is why Malkin is the best player in the world, if Crosby got 50 goals in a season it would surprise me...if Ovechkin got 80 assists in a season it would surprise me, if Malkin got 50 goals and 80 assists in a season it wouldn't surpise me...maybe not neccessarily in the same season, although its very possible, but basically what I'm getting at is Malkin could score nearly as much as Ovechkin, and so far this year hes making a strong case to be the best playmaker in the game...hes got a fairly distant lead over Crosby and Thornton and I can't picture either of them catching him unless he gets injured.

Also, for all the people complaining about Malkin disappearing in the finals, he actuallly had the flew, for the first half of the series, ironically in the last few games he stepped it up, ever try playing a sport when your sick? Not easy...especially against the Detroit Red Wings!

Infinite Vision* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 02:17 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Kessel View Post
Crosby's the best player in the league, Malkin is a close second.
Nick Lidstrom muttering something about not getting noticed. Well, maybe not this season, but the ones before that.....

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 02:20 AM
Lyons71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Kessel View Post
Crosby's the best player in the league, Malkin is a close second.
Agreed. What I was going to say. Crosby's got that extra skill set NO ONE has.

Malkin is bigger, and has learned to use his body, and his skills are better than almost everyone in the league, but I still don't see him do the things Sid does.

Lyons71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 02:22 AM
Infinite Vision*

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
Nick Lidstrom muttering something about not getting noticed. Well, maybe not this season, but the ones before that.....
He wins the Norris trophy every year...but your right, he doesn't get noticed at all?

Infinite Vision* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 02:24 AM
Goldark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Yeah, but not usually as blatantly sarcastic.

Uh, no. Crosby was obviously the better player in '06-'07, and then obviously the better player in '07-'08 until he got injured (tied for the league lead in scoring with games in hand, anyone?).
You don't get credit for games not played due to injury or coulda/woulda. Malkin last year was a 1st team all-star MVP-candidate who was 2nd in points. Malkin was better than Crosby last year.

Goldark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 02:26 AM
Goldark

Quote:

Crosby's only more marketable because of the name recognition through the NHL's ********/hype machine concerning him and North American/Canadian bias. What if you switched Malkin and Crosby's nationalities? The exact opposite effect would happen.

Goldark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 02:29 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldark View Post
You don't get credit for games not played due to injury or coulda/woulda. Malkin last year was a 1st team all-star MVP-candidate who was 2nd in points. Malkin was better than Crosby last year.
This isn't giving credit for games not played. When Crosby played last year, he was a better player than Malkin.

Not "he would've outscored Malkin", and not "he would've been the Hart finalist over Malkin", but simply "when Crosby played, he was the better player".

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 03:25 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyons71 View Post
Agreed. What I was going to say. Crosby's got that extra skill set NO ONE has.

Malkin is bigger, and has learned to use his body, and his skills are better than almost everyone in the league, but I still don't see him do the things Sid does.
What "extra skill set" is this?

The way Malkin's been playing this year, with or without Crosby, leads many to believe that Crosby isn't deserving of being placed on some pedestal, to which no other player can come close. He's immensely talented, but IMO Malkin is just as good if not better.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 10:11 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Sidney Crosby

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 10:14 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Or maybe the majority of us just feel Malkin is/will be the better player?

I think it's quite funny that there are still people like you who feel Crosby should be handed the win by default, in every poll such as this one. Because surely we can't possibly believe anyone else is better than Sidney Crosby, right?
Your right however I wonder how many of the votes are simply because some retards just hate Crosby and not because the other player is better.

Old
12-24-2008, 10:15 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
Malkin cause he's never been seriously hurt and Crosby has
Before he even played in 1 NHL game,Malkin separated his shoulder

Old
12-24-2008, 10:16 AM
Burnaby_Joe*

Crosby

Burnaby_Joe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 11:46 AM
wildone26*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Your right however I wonder how many of the votes are simply because some retards just hate Crosby and not because the other player is better.
I like Crosby but at the same time it is human nature to sometimes be alienated to something that is pushed at your to excessive extremes. Not that this is Crosby's fault but just reality and human nature.

wildone26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 01:18 PM
Lyons71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
What "extra skill set" is this? ...
He does things that I don't see other players do. The way he uses his feet to carry the puck along the boards, the little tricks he does with the puck, the fact that he can accept a pass from straight behind him through the legs.

There are a lot of things he does that make me believe he's the most talented player in the league.

Malkin has almost as much skill, but has the perfect hockey body. That is what gives him the edge to a lot of people. It doesn't to me though.

Once I see Malkin do something like managing to kick the puck to his stick whilst on one knee, while pushing himself with that same foot to get in front of the net, I'll consider them equals.

Sometimes results are more important (stats) and this season Malkin has better results. It's perfectly fair to like one or the other.

Lyons71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 01:35 PM
Fiji Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyons71 View Post
He does things that I don't see other players do. The way he uses his feet to carry the puck along the boards, the little tricks he does with the puck, the fact that he can accept a pass from straight behind him through the legs.

There are a lot of things he does that make me believe he's the most talented player in the league.

Malkin has almost as much skill, but has the perfect hockey body. That is what gives him the edge to a lot of people. It doesn't to me though.

Once I see Malkin do something like managing to kick the puck to his stick whilst on one knee, while pushing himself with that same foot to get in front of the net, I'll consider them equals.

Sometimes results are more important (stats) and this season Malkin has better results. It's perfectly fair to like one or the other.
Once I see Crosby unleash a shot from beyond the crease that manages to beat the goaltender, i'll consider them equals.

Fiji Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:19 PM
JamesBengt

Quote:
Well that's like saying that Beckham has been the best player in the world for 10 years. I'd say this is irrelevant when comparing players. Even if it should be taken into account if you're the GM of a team, it shouldn't be a factor when talking about who the best player in the league is. Malkin can't help being Russian.

JamesBengt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:25 PM
Stiller

Malkin only because I have fears over Crosby's durability.

Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBengt View Post
Well that's like saying that Beckham has been the best player in the world for 10 years. I'd say this is irrelevant when comparing players. Even if it should be taken into account if you're the GM of a team, it shouldn't be a factor when talking about who the best player in the league is. Malkin can't help being Russian.
It isn't similar to saying Beckham has been the best player for 10 years at all because Crosby actually is arguably the best player in the world and has all of the merchandising factor etc while Beckham when was he the best at anything except taking free kicks.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 09:18 PM
WingsFan95

Crosby.

Malkin cannot carry a team, he's a great player on a talented team.

This poll should not be as close.

Crosby IS the team, his first year, without Malkin and less experience showed how great of a player he is by himself.

WingsFan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99wasnotthebest View Post
Crosby.

Crosby IS the team, his first year, without Malkin and less experience showed how great of a player he is by himself.
Did you forget all about last year when Crosby was hurt. Without Geno, Pens are not even close to the playoffs. Or did you live under a rock last year?

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Kitten Mittons

woah... 97 vs 97 - impressive!

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 10:09 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99wasnotthebest View Post
Crosby.

When Crosby went down last year, Malkin carried the team into the post season. He had something ridiculous like 47 points in the 30 games Crosby was out.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote