HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Old
01-11-2009, 02:00 AM
Captain Awesome

vCash: 500
Sorry Chad, for whatever reason it seriously didn't look sarcastic.

And beyond this season? Probably just not coaching to his players, not lighting a bigger fire under some of their *****, I don't really think he does get the best out of all his guys. I can't believe Modano has never gotten benched over the years, there were definitely games in the past where the guy obviously wasn't really into it.

Playing not to lose, makes me wanna rip my hair out. You just know that 8 or 9 out of 10 times that we are going to give one up in the 3rd, generally in the last few minutes of the game. I certainly do think he has lost the team, I bet those guys dread having to play in front of Marty Turco even more than we have to watching it. Kind of like watching that douchey kid at work who never does anything but never gets fired either.

With Tippett around, you almost feel like some of these guys take their jobs on the team for granted. Would Marty Turco be playing this way if he knew there were consequences to it? Because right now he can do no wrong.

Give the guy till the end of the season, if he can't get this group to squeak into the playoffs can his ass, I'd rather do it now and sink and get someone like Schroeder or Cowen to go with a mini rebuild next year but it probably won't happen. I hope he keeps playing him so we do sink,since this certainly isn't a championship team even if it is an 8th place team. The Sharks would eat us alive this year, and obviously so would Detroit.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 03:06 AM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
IMO, but I think this group of Stars would get eaten alive by San Jose or Detroit regardless of who the coach was. There are some fundamental flaws in the makeup of the team, particularly on the defensive end. Would some of that be addressed by a healthy Zubov? Some things, but changing the coach without making some changes to the player personnel probably would only be a short-term fix.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 04:12 AM
Captain Awesome

I also agree with that, but it's not like our team is awful right now even sans Morrow and Zubov. We've seen Nashville get more out of less every season. I couldn't believe they made the playoffs after their firesale with budget problems.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 05:50 AM
Bluntman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
I can't believe Modano has never gotten benched over the years, there were definitely games in the past where the guy obviously wasn't really into it.
Word. I've always questioned his heart. I have definitely noticed these games, as they have become more apparent and more frequent recently. At the beginning of the season he seemed to have much energy and hustle. I think a big part of this was the pressence of Neal and it being a fresh new season. Mike obviously fed off Neal's energy and even stated it, but he has slowed down again.

In the last couple of years, I've felt like the only times that Mike has played hard were in important playoff games when adrenaline was rushing. Other than that, most of the times I see him show some heart and hustle he just tries to make the "sexy" play, rather than the right or smart play. However occasionally he will execute a "sexy" play to perfection, resulting in a sick and beautiful highlight reel goal. Often times, this happens in clutch situations as well... i.e. a GW goal. I feel this allows us to forget the lack of determination and heart he shows generally. The man is damn skilled and much more athletic than a lot of other nhlers (he's a faster skater than many players ten years younger than him). He can get away with going through the motions with that kind of ability. Thus even if he's not playing hard, he's playing good. I believe if he played to his full ability, he would be the best player on the team right now hands down and maybe even half the leader that Morrow is.

P.S. Morrow should dress up in a suit and be in the stars bench during games. Then he could be vocal and captain the team to play better.......hopefully.

Bluntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 01:20 PM
Chad_

Some would suggest the Stars have had the talent of a team that misses the playoffs every year and yet still makes them. I disagree. The talent is and has been there during Tippett's entire stay, and the team's made the playoffs every year thus far, but only one year were they able to do anything.

It's not outperforming that Tippett has nurtured, rather under performing that has become a mainstay of the Stars during the postseason. A team that wins the division should be able to make it out of the first round against a slumping team, and yet they got owned after coming out flat and showing why it's in bad form to rest players before a series. If the team doesn't make the playoffs this year, and things certainly don't look that way, it will be just one more year of the team under performing under Coach Tippett.

But the team likes Tippett, another argument for keeping him persists. And your point is, what exactly? Maybe they do like him, but why is that a reason for keeping a guy that isn't doing his job? Maybe they don't actually like him but that's the official word given to the press. Would anyone expect any Stars player to give a quote to the press that they cannot stand Tippett or that they don't believe Tippett is doing his job correctly?

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
Some would suggest the Stars have had the talent of a team that misses the playoffs every year and yet still makes them. I disagree. The talent is and has been there during Tippett's entire stay
03, 04, and 06 I 100% agree.

But that 2007 team had no business making the playoffs, yet we did. And nearly upset Vancouver.

But that's just one year.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 03:11 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Tippett is pretty clearly a players' coach. I don't think there's ever been any intimations otherwise. And that's not a problem. I don't care whether he has a beer with his players or skates them into the ground. It's about the utilization of personnel and putting them in positions to either succeed or fail.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 04:43 PM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Quote:
Tippett is pretty clearly a players' coach.
Except for Tippett can't adjust his system to fit the players on the roster the best.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 10:10 PM
Chad_

Consider the Vancouver team though, Lobo. Outside of Luongo, they had no business in the playoffs.

There were also at least six teams that did sit on the outside of the playoff margin that year that were of lower caliber than the Stars, so I would disagree the Stars did not have a playoff team that year. It might not have been that great of a team, but with respect to the other teams in the WC, my opinion is that it was a playoff caliber team.

Again, I think it's the aspect of whether or not one believes the pre-season prognostication of so-called pundits that always conclude the Stars are old and outmatched versus believing there is enough talent on the ice to compete. If you believe the team doesn't have the talent, you'll think Tippett is a great coach worthy of high praise, forgetting his numerous mishaps and unforced errors. If you believe the team has the talent to compete, you'll start to look at why the team isn't succeeding, and this is the category I've found myself in for multiple seasons.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 09:21 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
HEIKA: This is a difficult situation because several key people co-GM Les Jackson, director of scouting Tim Bernhardt, goalie coach Andy Moog do believe in Stephan and do want Dave Tippett to play him. However, they are of the mind that the coach should coach the team.

Link

Turco to basically play every remaining game this season.
The first link has something I found interesting. In the Q&A section there is a question regarding Morrow and his injury, and the response talks about leadership and how you can't really lead if you are on the ice. This idea would lend some credo towards Sydor's worth on the ice for leadership.

And now I shall leave as not to get caught up in the huge debate on Sydor. *runs*

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 12:13 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

Months have elapsed. Still, Turco cannot break the .900 mark.

The deliniation point that would finally award him the title of "mediocre".

No. He is simply bad. Perhaps not awful or embarrassing anymore... He has made progress. We'll have to settle for just plain bad.

Fans from coast to coast know the truth. They know that Turco sucks and vocalize as much every night.

The Stars will never win anything with this colossal loser in between the pipes. The sooner the franchises recognizes this truth, the better.

Old
03-06-2009, 12:25 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
Months have elapsed. Still, Turco cannot break the .900 mark.

The deliniation point that would finally award him the title of "mediocre".

No. He is simply bad. Perhaps not awful or embarrassing anymore... He has made progress. We'll have to settle for just plain bad.

Fans from coast to coast know the truth. They know that Turco sucks and vocalize as much every night.

The Stars will never win anything with this colossal loser in between the pipes. The sooner the franchises recognizes this truth, the better.
Lay off the sauce when you browse HF, ok champ?

There's no need for crap like that, you were probably (expletive deleted) his (expletive deleted) in the playoffs last year.

Just take a breather, sober up and realize Turco's not going anywhere. He's having a sub-par year, but so's the whole ****ing team. Get over it already, you're only embarrassing yourself.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 12:26 AM
________

I don't think I ever posted this, but a few weeks ago during the Stars vs Columbus game(the Stars big victory).
Either Columbus announcer or color person, talked to Moog about Turco and Moog said Turco's improvement was based on a much improved work ethic. It says a lot.

Last edited by ________: 03-06-2009 at 12:39 AM.
Old
03-06-2009, 12:34 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Lay off the sauce when you browse HF, ok champ?

There's no need for crap like that, you were probably (expletive deleted) his (expletive deleted) in the playoffs last year.

Just take a breather, sober up and realize Turco's not going anywhere. He's having a sub-par year, but so's the whole ****ing team. Get over it already, you're only embarrassing yourself.
Don't call me champ, chief.

Anyone who defends Turco is denying reality. The guy has always been mentally weak. Now he has added physical weakness to his arsenal. Makes for quite the stunning combination, doesn't it?

Turco may not be going anywhere. You may be right. But neither is the team. And that's unfortunate.

Old
03-06-2009, 12:52 AM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Sixty plus games in. Are the numbers really lying? Can people still defend Turco and call him a top ten goalie in this league? Don't bag on Stephan here, he's not the issue. The question is Marty playing like a goalie should who's earning 5.6 million dollars? Is anyone prepared to watch another slow start next season when he can't save a beach ball let alone a puck?

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 01:44 AM
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Sixty plus games in. Are the numbers really lying? Can people still defend Turco and call him a top ten goalie in this league? Don't bag on Stephan here, he's not the issue. The question is Marty playing like a goalie should who's earning 5.6 million dollars? Is anyone prepared to watch another slow start next season when he can't save a beach ball let alone a puck?

Turco will decide to work hard from the start next season it's a contract year.