HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brash

Old
12-20-2008, 11:10 PM
BlackTuuk

vCash: 500
Brash

I really wish we held on to him. He is the second best fighter in the league and Cote is a joke, imo. I have seen him get tooled up entirely too much this season.

BlackTuuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 11:13 PM
fism

It would be nice to have a legit heavyweight again.

fism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 11:21 PM
Kaktus*

Well, we were over the cap and had to let him go. What can you do?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 12:26 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Cote loses to Brashear, and all of a sudden Cote is a joke and our fighters suck. Newsflash: everyone who fights Brashear sucks.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 12:28 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Cote loses to Brashear, and all of a sudden Cote is a joke and our fighters suck. Newsflash: everyone who fights Brashear sucks.
Totally. Brash is ridiculous. Cote can beat anyone in the league not named Brasher or Laraque (i think at least). To say hes a joke may be too harsh. Remember when he was out, and our enforcer was just Gratton (who i like btw), People were calling for Cote to get back.

Point is, you try to fight Brash!

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 01:05 AM
miltons rules

it would be nice to have a legit h/w ie boogeyman), the flyers seem to have enough middleweights. It seems when Cote, asham and gratton mix it up with the likes of Brashear, Goddard, Orr etc. they don't fair to well.

miltons rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 01:07 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

It'd be nice to have a heavyweight, but I love the fact we have three guys in the lineup right now who will do anything for their team. I hated the days of "team toughness" a few years ago.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 01:18 AM
BlackTuuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
You only read the first sentence. I have seen Cote punched into submission too much this season. You think Cote is a top fighter?

Please. This is how far he is away from "the top."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfsYQidg88A

Old
12-21-2008, 01:22 AM
BlackTuuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Cote can beat anyone in the league not named Brasher or Laraque (i think at least)
Why do you think that? I mean, where do you get that idea? I love the Flyers, too, but come on: Cote is not feared. Asham rarely mixes it up (certainly not as much as he used to). Gratton? Please. I hope we get one heavyweight and ditch the two useless middle-level fighters.

Old
12-21-2008, 01:27 AM
Gert B Frobe

If teams were taking liberties and running Gagne/Briere etc frequently then I'd say we do need a heavyweight. Of course that could change but it doesn't seem to be the case right now. If we take on the salary of one of those elite guys the we don't have guys like Asham or Metropolit on our bottom lines. I guess you pick your poison with the cap these days.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 01:29 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
If teams were taking liberties and running Gagne/Briere etc frequently then I'd say we do need a heavyweight. Of course that could change but it doesn't seem to be the case right now. If we take on the salary of one of those elite guys the we don't have guys like Asham or Metropolit on our bottom lines. I guess you pick your poison with the cap these days.
That's true. It's not like we need a heavyweight to do any protecting out there. The instigator still exists and it hasn't been the other heavyweights doing the cheapshotting this year (except Brashear's hit yesterday). The only reason we want a heavyweight is to beat the other heavyweights for entertainment value and pride.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 01:31 AM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTuuk View Post
Why do you think that? I mean, where do you get that idea? I love the Flyers, too, but come on: Cote is not feared. Asham rarely mixes it up (certainly not as much as he used to). Gratton? Please. I hope we get one heavyweight and ditch the two useless middle-level fighters.
Gratton is only up because Metropolit is hurt and Nodl has struggled. Cote doesn't need to be feared - just willing. Albeit willing to get speed-bagged at times...

Old
12-21-2008, 01:36 AM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
That's true. It's not like we need a heavyweight to do any protecting out there. The instigator still exists and it hasn't been the other heavyweights doing the cheapshotting this year (except Brashear's hit yesterday). The only reason we want a heavyweight is to beat the other heavyweights for entertainment value and pride.
I thought Goddard jumping on Hartnell was kind of weird - no instigator either. Hartnell must have really deserved it. I thought I saw a highlight of him pounding on some guy in Toronto tonight who didn't drop his gloves too. God I'd love to see somebody do that to Crosby - just drop their gloves and punch him right in the face. They'd get 20 games.

Old
12-21-2008, 02:07 AM
Chainsaw

Cote had the balls to step up again and fight Brashear a 2nd time.. No question Brashear wooped Cote. But Cote will fight anybody and never turn down a fight. I hated Brashear ever since I saw him Play for Montreal on Hockey night in Canada against Calgary. All game Sandy Mcarthy wanted to go Brash. Brash time and time again would not fight Mcarthy, after watching this for too long Lyle Odelien decided to go with Mcarthy. After the fight Mcarthy patted Odelien on the back and thanked him for the fight. When Brashear came here to Vancouver I saw Time after Time Brashear skate away from a fight. he would goat players to drop the gloves and skate away. But my all time moment where I lost any respect for this Goof was when The Flyers played Florida and Justin Williams was still with us and there was a play where the puck came to Williams's skates and Peter Worrell Just beried him hard into the boards injuring Justins shoulder. BRASHEAR DID NOTHING TO WORRELL. Brashear let a goon totally run one of our Skill players and Brash did nothing. I hate the BUm and glad he's not a Flyer. Ya Cote might be on the recieving end of fights once in awhile but the man has Honour,and would lay his life on the line for any team mate. Brashear is only about him self. BTW Klotz will Kill Brashear

Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 02:52 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
You only read the first sentence. I have seen Cote punched into submission too much this season. You think Cote is a top fighter?

Please. This is how far he is away from "the top."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfsYQidg88A
When did I say 'the best?' Cote is in the middle, he's not great and he's not terrible. For what it's worth, I am on record in the off-season wanting the Flyers to sign Georges Laraque, because not only would we have someone amongst the best in the league, if not the best, but it would allow Cote to matchup better with the smaller goons.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 03:05 AM
Richyrich

Brash has pretty good skill too... very underrated as a hockey player IMO

Richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 03:17 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post
BTW Klotz will Kill Brashear
No, Klotz will not kill Brashear. Klotz will be lucky if he ever sees ice time in the NHL. Biggest waste of a pick since Bellamy in '04.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 03:20 AM
bney7

Quote:
First off you're absolutely clueless. No one is feared in the new NHL, the instigator rule prevents you from doing anything and you can just turtle while they throw one punch anyway. Team toughness >>>>> one HW who fights 10-15 times a year.

Now that I got that out of the way, give me the guys who have the heart and guts to stand up for their teammates over a guy like Brashear who only fights 10-15 times a year when he feels like it. He has one game a year like this where he actually applies himself and attempts to enforce the game. Cote got his ass kicked and went back out there trying to fight Brashear for running Powe from behind. If Huggy Bear had gotten his ass kicked like that by someone bigger than him in a game like that he wouldn't go back after him for hitting his teammate from behind. Hell Brashear wouldn't even go with Mitch Fritz the 6'7 guy Cote cut open in a fight last week, you know why he wouldn't fight him? Because he isn't bigger and stronger than him. Cote goes out there every night looking to do his job, Brashear goes out there 10 times a season looking to do his job.

bney7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 04:40 AM
qwertysac

First off Laraque is in a league of his own, followed closely by Brashear.

In my opinion Riley Cote can hold his own vs anybody else in the league other than those two. Which if you ask me, is just fine, so we dont need a "better" enforcer. I'm not saying he can whoop anybody, just saying most of his other fights arent as one sided as the fights tonight vs brash. Almost all his fights are usually a pretty good tilt in general which gets the team fired up, but the fact that he never steps down from ANYONE including those 2 is what it's all about.

There's one thing im sure of though: Cote is one of the favorites in the locker room and he's respected by everybody on the team for what he does for them. So you can sit there at your computer and call him a "joke" all you want, but youre WAY off.

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 05:00 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

From what I also remember, nobody in Philadelphia was sad to see Brashear go either. He definitely didn't make any friends in the locker room and was pretty much kept in check by Primeau.

Old
12-21-2008, 06:18 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
I thought Goddard jumping on Hartnell was kind of weird - no instigator either. Hartnell must have really deserved it. I thought I saw a highlight of him pounding on some guy in Toronto tonight who didn't drop his gloves too. God I'd love to see somebody do that to Crosby - just drop their gloves and punch him right in the face. They'd get 20 games.
I was watching that too. It seems that most penguin fans don't think that is cheap to do because the guy "deserves" it. But to start punching an unwilling fighter is cheap and I hope he gets his soon (cleanly), don't have to go down to his level. Not every team out there are the flyers and will fight the top fighter of the opposing team each and every game.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 07:05 AM
Raffl House

I have no problem with Cote, and he has improved as a hockey player as well. His fighting skills may evolve from this point, and it certainly isn't for a lack of trying. The kid trains more on his fighting than he does his hockey.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 09:01 AM
facts

your fighter is a role player 6 minutes of ice, will fight anyone and do anything for the team. Say what you want about Cote but he answers the call always. Brashear here like everywhere else wears out his welcome because he forgets his role and thinks he is a player. He picks his spots and only fights when he feels like it. Challenging Asham was disgraceful, and the hit on Powe was dirty and cheap.Brashear is an overpayed clown with a yellow car.

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 09:17 AM
Orange Crush 89

Fightning serves no purpose in the NHL any more and it's illogical to waste roster spots for guys who have no talent and perform an irrelevant role.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 10:22 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 89 View Post
Fightning serves no purpose in the NHL any more and it's illogical to waste roster spots for guys who have no talent and perform an irrelevant role.
You keep telling yourself that......