HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brash

Old
12-21-2008, 09:23 AM
BerubeBox*

vCash: 500
The team has a lot of strengths. If they're not in the top 10 out of 30 teams in enforcing, it's not the end of the world. Cote's a heavyweight (why do people keep calling him anything less?) in the middle of the pack. Considering the number of teams in the league, it's a little weird that people are demanding an elite fighter.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 09:27 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
We cant afford to pay a fighter over a million dollars

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 09:32 AM
BrimFullofAsham45

Brashear is the biggest spot picker in the league and only opens up when a fighter is off balance from the get-go, as we saw yesterday against Cote. Cote is a good fighter, but he needs to be a lot smarter if he wants to win a fight cleanly. I don't think he's cleanly won a fight all year. Learning how to use both hands would help him a bunch.

BrimFullofAsham45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Kudos...

to our light heavies for filling our heavyweight void and playing some decent hockey to boot. We'll outlast most teams in the toughness and fighting departments even if we lose the main events.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 10:30 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
i'm fine with cote. he's solid defensively and can even make an offensive move once every blue moon. the guy isn't the best fighter, but at least he's not a waste of a roster spot on some nights. he's also a great character in the locker room and just an all around classy guy. it would be nice to have a legit heavy, but there are more important needs at the moment.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 10:38 AM
TheFlyingP

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertysac View Post
First off Laraque is in a league of his own, followed closely by Brashear.

In my opinion Riley Cote can hold his own vs anybody else in the league other than those two. Which if you ask me, is just fine, so we dont need a "better" enforcer. I'm not saying he can whoop anybody, just saying most of his other fights arent as one sided as the fights tonight vs brash. Almost all his fights are usually a pretty good tilt in general which gets the team fired up, but the fact that he never steps down from ANYONE including those 2 is what it's all about.

There's one thing im sure of though: Cote is one of the favorites in the locker room and he's respected by everybody on the team for what he does for them. So you can sit there at your computer and call him a "joke" all you want, but youre WAY off.
Totally agree!!

TheFlyingP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 11:44 AM
Brophy

Cote is the type that keeps everyone honest. Alot of fighters around the league say hes the toughest. At least all of his fights are entertaining as hell and you dont have hug fests. Id take Cote over Brashear any day.

Brophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 12:00 PM
MountainHawk

I'd rather have a team that is always a danger to put the puck in the net than waste over $1M on a buffoon like Brashear.

Besides, if Brashear was a Flyer, he'd be suspended for 20 games for that hit today.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 12:02 PM
mm6492

i am fine with Cote. He knew he would lose to Brash but still fought him. I would love laraque or even Brashear, but 1) we don't have them and 2) we can not fit them in our cap

I like that we have plenty of players who will drop the gloves- Gratton, Asham, Cote, Hartnell, Vannanen, and even richards.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 12:05 PM
mm6492

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 05:32 PM
Orange Crush 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
You keep telling yourself that......
Say the Flyers play the Caps. Ovechkin, for some crazy reason, throws a really dirty hit on Mike Richards. How does Cote battling Brashear get vengeance for the hit, exactly? Fighting USED to serve a purpose; intimidation, fear. Now it's a side show so guys with no hockey talent can skate around in the NHL and get a paycheck taking away opportunities from guys who can actually play the game. In the days when fighting meant something, I'd be all about stacking your team half with brutes, they'd create the space for your guys with talent. Now you don't need them because players are protected by the instigator rule and can pretty much run around and do whatever they want without fear of retribution.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 05:37 PM
Viller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 View Post
Brashear is the biggest spot picker in the league and only opens up when a fighter is off balance from the get-go, as we saw yesterday against Cote. Cote is a good fighter, but he needs to be a lot smarter if he wants to win a fight cleanly. I don't think he's cleanly won a fight all year. Learning how to use both hands would help him a bunch.
Hes an open stance fighter simply, he rarely clutches and grabs. Brashear has said so himself. He also called him the best fighter, pound for pound...

He'll take a few to give a few in other words. Fighters like this are a rarety in today's league. It might not always be pretty, but he actually lands alot more punches than others do. No "Laracque" hugging ******** or very little.

I have absolutely no problem with Cote, I rather have him than brashear and Laracque who cant play hockey worth a ****. Flyers would be stupid to pay ANY fighter over what Cote is demanding.

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 05:48 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 89 View Post
Say the Flyers play the Caps. Ovechkin, for some crazy reason, throws a really dirty hit on Mike Richards. How does Cote battling Brashear get vengeance for the hit, exactly? Fighting USED to serve a purpose; intimidation, fear. Now it's a side show so guys with no hockey talent can skate around in the NHL and get a paycheck taking away opportunities from guys who can actually play the game. In the days when fighting meant something, I'd be all about stacking your team half with brutes, they'd create the space for your guys with talent. Now you don't need them because players are protected by the instigator rule and can pretty much run around and do whatever they want without fear of retribution.
What you are saying has some truth in it. But it still doesn't change the fact that Brashear is on a different level than Cote. Cote can hang with anybody but Laraque and Brash. Not many fighters can hang with Laraque and Brash. Fighting has became a sideshow now but at least its not out of the game.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 06:00 PM
Richards eats souls*

I don't mind Cote. Almost all of his fights are entertaining (sure he is a punching bag, but they are fun to watch). He is a team guy and a good guy in the community. He's friendly to fans and scary to opponents. He'll drop the gloves with anyone even if he does get his ass kicked.

I'm fine with a player who fights like Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots. His fights pump up the crowd, change momentum, and teach a lesson. Plus, he's as cheap as they come...

Richards eats souls* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 06:32 PM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

Cote is sweet, he is tough as nails, fights anybody, is dirt cheap, and looks like a throw back player (maybe an extra from Slapshot). Brashear thought he was a goal scorer and would hardly fight, as someone else said earlier he picked his fights. Parros, Boogy, gorgeous George ect might outclass cote, but i guarantee 19 other players on the opposing team get respect for the guy, which may keep them honest. Plus, he kicked the sheet out of Roy so badly Tortolini kicked him off the team.

flyersjamminontheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 08:43 PM
wrx27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
i am fine with Cote. He knew he would lose to Brash but still fought him. I would love laraque or even Brashear, but 1) we don't have them and 2) we can not fit them in our cap

I like that we have plenty of players who will drop the gloves- Gratton, Asham, Cote, Hartnell, Vannanen, and even richards.
Cote Rocks! and dont forget Carter, Metro and now add Coburn to that list lol. Pretty much our whole team. Havent Upshall and Lupul dropped em before too?

wrx27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 09:32 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 89 View Post
Easy, Riley fights Ovechkin instead.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 11:14 PM
Orange Crush 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
What you are saying has some truth in it. But it still doesn't change the fact that Brashear is on a different level than Cote. Cote can hang with anybody but Laraque and Brash. Not many fighters can hang with Laraque and Brash. Fighting has became a sideshow now but at least its not out of the game.
Don't get me wrong, I like seeing fights as much as anyone, but when I sit back and think about it's purpose in today's game (compared to decades ago), I don't see the point of it. And I agree, Brashear is in a whole other universe when compared to Cote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
Easy, Riley fights Ovechkin instead.
haha We both know that'd never happen.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 01:56 PM
BlackTuuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
When did I say 'the best?' Cote is in the middle, he's not great and he's not terrible. For what it's worth, I am on record in the off-season wanting the Flyers to sign Georges Laraque, because not only would we have someone amongst the best in the league, if not the best, but it would allow Cote to matchup better with the smaller goons.
I was careful to mirror your consideration of Cote's category. I am not replying further because I don't need the mod squad on my back.

BlackTuuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 09:07 AM
BlackTuuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post
Cote had the balls to step up again and fight Brashear a 2nd time.. No question Brashear wooped Cote. But Cote will fight anybody and never turn down a fight. I hated Brashear ever since I saw him Play for Montreal on Hockey night in Canada against Calgary. All game Sandy Mcarthy wanted to go Brash. Brash time and time again would not fight Mcarthy, after watching this for too long Lyle Odelien decided to go with Mcarthy. After the fight Mcarthy patted Odelien on the back and thanked him for the fight. When Brashear came here to Vancouver I saw Time after Time Brashear skate away from a fight. he would goat players to drop the gloves and skate away. But my all time moment where I lost any respect for this Goof was when The Flyers played Florida and Justin Williams was still with us and there was a play where the puck came to Williams's skates and Peter Worrell Just beried him hard into the boards injuring Justins shoulder. BRASHEAR DID NOTHING TO WORRELL. Brashear let a goon totally run one of our Skill players and Brash did nothing. I hate the BUm and glad he's not a Flyer. Ya Cote might be on the recieving end of fights once in awhile but the man has Honour,and would lay his life on the line for any team mate. Brashear is only about him self. BTW Klotz will Kill Brashear
I love the team, too; however, don't act like it is enough that the person has the ball*s to fight. A cockerspaniel will bark at a pitbull. I mean, Flyers pride takes a hit everytime Cote steps up and gets walloped down. If we can't afford a legit pugilist, fine. But a team as rowdy and physical as us can use a top-flight fighter.

Old
12-23-2008, 09:13 AM
BlackTuuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
We cant afford to pay a fighter over a million dollars
True. I'd (personally) rather pay a legit heavyweight 1.2, call up Giroux, Nodl, or Mats, than pick up Shanny and have forwards take the "let that player put up points mentality (like when Forsberg when around)". Luckily, there is no Briere effect. And yes, I know Shanny will brawl out, too. That's just me. I like having one solid fighter than two mid-level guys who are widely considered mediocre. I am not attacking anyone's point of view here, just clarifying my position.

Old
12-23-2008, 10:02 AM
Sneekypete

Klotz is tough its too bad he skates like a 4 year old.Take away his stick and give him a wooden chair to skate with.

Sneekypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 02:57 PM
FlyersWillRockU
Too Old? Rookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTuuk View Post
I love the team, too; however, don't act like it is enough that the person has the ball*s to fight. A cockerspaniel will bark at a pitbull. I mean, Flyers pride takes a hit everytime Cote steps up and gets walloped down. If we can't afford a legit pugilist, fine. But a team as rowdy and physical as us can use a top-flight fighter.
This is the reason why last year I was hoping they would go hard after Laraque in the offseason. IMO he brings every bit as much to the ice as Asham does and yes I have seen him play plenty in his days as an Oiler. I love COte's heart and what he does off the ice as well but IMO when you lose more than you win does it really get the crowd into it like it is supposed to??? I miss Dave Brown, Lindros and guys that could totally change the momentum with a big scrap.

FlyersWillRockU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 11:49 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Totally. Brash is ridiculous. Cote can beat anyone in the league not named Brasher or Laraque (i think at least). To say hes a joke may be too harsh. Remember when he was out, and our enforcer was just Gratton (who i like btw), People were calling for Cote to get back.

Point is, you try to fight Brash!
there are a lot of names to add to the list that cote can't beat...i am not a big riley racoon eyes cote fan and would love to have a legit H/W on the team but who is out there?
laraque was out there this year but he is a head case that too often forgets he is an enforcer...and as manyhave said we can't afford to pay $1MM to an enforcer...the only legit H/W that may be available that can hang w/ guys like godard, orr, brash & laraque is dj king (blues)...

that said i think cote works for this team...he came up with many of the current flyers (richards, carter, gratton, jones, nitty) and won the calder cup with them...i think that goes a long way to the team respecting him...while he may get his head beat in like he usually does atleast he will defend his teammates...not only will he defend them but he will try to get a pound of flesh for them because he isn't afraid to open up and take a shot so he can land a bomb...plus, when the playoffs come around he will sit in the press box w/o making a stink.

this team has enough toughness up and down the lineup but could use a healthy hatcher or a guy like bieska on the back line.

bottomline, while his fights are entertaining he needs to pick his spots more and fight when necessary not just fight for the sake of fighting...i think his brains will be scrambled by the all-star break at his current pace.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 02:21 PM
BlackTuuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Banker View Post
there are a lot of names to add to the list that cote can't beat...i am not a big riley racoon eyes cote fan and would love to have a legit H/W on the team but who is out there?
laraque was out there this year but he is a head case that too often forgets he is an enforcer...and as manyhave said we can't afford to pay $1MM to an enforcer...the only legit H/W that may be available that can hang w/ guys like godard, orr, brash & laraque is dj king (blues)...

that said i think cote works for this team...he came up with many of the current flyers (richards, carter, gratton, jones, nitty) and won the calder cup with them...i think that goes a long way to the team respecting him...while he may get his head beat in like he usually does atleast he will defend his teammates...not only will he defend them but he will try to get a pound of flesh for them because he isn't afraid to open up and take a shot so he can land a bomb...plus, when the playoffs come around he will sit in the press box w/o making a stink.

this team has enough toughness up and down the lineup but could use a healthy hatcher or a guy like bieska on the back line.

bottomline, while his fights are entertaining he needs to pick his spots more and fight when necessary not just fight for the sake of fighting...i think his brains will be scrambled by the all-star break at his current pace.
Why pay two mediocre mid-levels, and their AHL cronies, instead of one solid pugilist. I note, that I love the team, too. But how are you guys 1) satisfied therewith and 2) accepting that Cote is a punching bag for a whole class of fighters. Our pride takes a hit everytime Cote is punched into submission. How embarrassing.