HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/21/08 "...Comin' Down The Mountain" - Avalanche VS. Panthers

View Poll Results: Who wins this game?
Panthers 17 100.00%
Avalanche 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-22-2008, 11:23 AM
zeroG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I don't want him to hurt the team while we're waiting, either. We've already had that problem.

When I first became a manager and told my dad about a problem employee who was a cool person but had a lousy work ethic and wasn't sure what to do with him, dad told me that he wasn't likely to change. He was who he was at that point. I was hoping he would become a better employee, turns out dad was right. This proved to be true time and again. People and players do change, but often times, they are who they are.
good example and certainly true but... what about his 60pts the last couple of seasons? i understand the concern but i think the team's at a different place than it was a month ago and take some time to let nate find his game again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmanfu View Post
I think the difference between Olli then and Nate now is Pete DeBoer.

IMO, Pete has the room moreso than JM ever did.
yes, i agree. i'm biased and i don't think olli would ever be much more than what he is - an elite shooter - but i could be wrong and i would agree that PDB does have the room now (from what we can tell). a lot has gone in his favor that didn't for JM but he's done a great job and seems to have been the right guy for the job. neither horton or olesz has spent enough time on the ice since the team has turned it around. look at zeds last night - good puck movement gets him an opportunity and, whadaya know, he finishes. a coach who is connecting, along with team confidence, can really be a panacea. let's see how things look in a month or so.

Old
12-22-2008, 11:30 AM
sinDer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booootthh View Post
I just don't like the fact that we possibly may have to give up on a player that has loads of potential to be one of the best Right Wingers in the game. That's highly irritating especially having selected him third overall. Just disappointing I suppose.
Horton is young, under contract for the next 5 years and has scored 30 goals before. His value is probably very high right now

If JM trades him, he'll get something really good in return

Old
12-22-2008, 12:24 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
yeah, please do. it's not funny.
Not to you because you're the one playing the broken record, not listening to it.

Old
12-22-2008, 01:11 PM
blackpanthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
yeah, please do. it's not funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Not to you because you're the one playing the broken record, not listening to it.
Let's ask Seth McFarlane since he would know a lot more about what's funny than us message board guys do

Old
12-22-2008, 01:48 PM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpanthers View Post
Let's ask Seth McFarlane since he would know a lot more about what's funny than us message board guys do
Not really...

Old
12-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Acadmus

Enough bickering, guys. I'll let it slide this time, but drop it, got it?

12-22-2008, 04:36 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
my "broken record" comments are hockey related and relevant. it just so happens that transition comes up in many areas when talking about the game of hockey. gee, maybe because it's important? do GMs sound like a broken record when they say the same thing in every interview? how about coaches? i don't get every FSF broadcast but just about every game i hear potvin talk about execution in the defensive end and transition. broken record?

the "knows more than" was misinterpreted from the start. yes, i was trying to knock some posters down, but only the posters who continued coming to the board to post stuff like "he better not play frolik with so and so" or "that guy better not get more than 5 minutes of ice time", etc. without taking a second to consider why coach would chose that option. of course, i know this is the most common pattern in fan bulletin boards so it's nothing new. my point is simply that there's a thought process that goes on behind all these decisions and while sometimes it's not obvious, you can usually come up with a reason or two why something was done pretty quickly and then start a critique from there. if folks took that bit of extra time, it seems to me the discussion would be a lot more interesting and we'd all learn a lot more.

Old
12-22-2008, 04:45 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

When do you all expect Anderson to get another start? Will this shutout just push him back another game?

Old
12-22-2008, 05:28 PM
Bure1096

Send a message via AIM to Bure1096
yes Vokoun will be in net Tuesday.

Old
12-22-2008, 05:29 PM
CanadianPantherFan

Quote:
I don't want him to hurt the team while we're waiting, either. We've already had that problem.

When I first became a manager and told my dad about a problem employee who was a cool person but had a lousy work ethic and wasn't sure what to do with him, dad told me that he wasn't likely to change. He was who he was at that point. I was hoping he would become a better employee, turns out dad was right. This proved to be true time and again. People and players do change, but often times, they are who they are.
THEY ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE...AND WE LET THEM OFF THE HOOK!

Old
12-22-2008, 06:29 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
I forgot to mention Bouw's play in yesterday's game. This kid was solid as usual. On some shifts, he looked like an extra forward out there. I really don't want to see him leave.

-ghoste

Old
12-22-2008, 07:09 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
THEY ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE...AND WE LET THEM OFF THE HOOK!

Classic

Old
12-22-2008, 07:48 PM
Laus723
Future Now

What was he trying to say anyway?

12-22-2008, 07:58 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
What was he trying to say anyway?
He thought he thaw a puddy tat.

He DID! He DID thee a puddy tat!

Old
12-22-2008, 10:13 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinDer View Post
Horton is young, under contract for the next 5 years and has scored 30 goals before. His value is probably very high right now

If JM trades him, he'll get something really good in return
He might get a good package for him, but I highly doubt he gets an equal 1 for 1 return, unless it's for a defenseman. Why would another GM give up an equally talented guy who isn't perceived as not giving 100% effort or not broken out yet? We would be getting another guy who hasn't reached his potential yet either, or an old vet in the twilight of his career.

Or, if we took a package, something like a good but not great player(and without the potential to be great), a high pick, and maybe something else minor like a prospect.

I'm in agreement with Booootthh, I don't want to see him traded either. I want him to fulfill his potential here, not somewhere else. There's still plenty of time, Horton's only 23. Not all players blossom at the same time. My .02 about yesterday's game, he looked more comfortable than he did Thursday, and in the 3rd had a couple good shifts in a row where he was physical and knocking people around, on one play where we were hemmed in for a while in our zone, he simply knocked his man off the puck on the half wall, and skated it out of the zone. He made a nice play on the McCabe assist, without Horton that goal wouldn't have happened. I hope he's coming along. I admit it seems he's lazy at times, but he's a great talent, and you just don't get a chance to get a hold of a guy like that too often. We need to wait to see if he can take that next step. I think any ideas of trading him now are too premature.

Old
12-22-2008, 10:55 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
He made a nice play on the McCabe assist, without Horton that goal wouldn't have happened.
Yeah, he was the one that knocked the puck away (from Hannan) to Weiss, who then fed him breaking out of the zone.

-ghoste

Closed Thread