HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Doug Weight

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-22-2008, 03:16 PM
  #51
Nikita Filatov*
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,301
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Why include Axelsson? An impending UFA checking forward would be of zero interest to a nonplayoff team at the deadline.
To keep Boston from going over cap...

Is that decent value?

I could also see Boston being interested in Guerin...

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 03:22 PM
  #52
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 38,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan1 View Post
To keep Boston from going over cap...

Is that decent value?

I could also see Boston being interested in Guerin...

I don't know much about Lehtonen. However, I would think a late first rounder and a prospect would get you BOTH Weight and Guerin. For Weight, I think that might be an overpayment. But, I could be wrong.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 03:27 PM
  #53
JorgeRocks!
Registered User
 
JorgeRocks!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,445
vCash: 500
i mean langkow + prospects/picks + the aforementioned package for kovalchuk

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 03:33 PM
  #54
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 38,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeRocks! View Post
i mean langkow + prospects/picks + the aforementioned package for kovalchuk
In the off season, you were not getting Kovalchuk for a package built around Langkow and prospect/picks + future considerations. IF that was doable, Kovlachuk would be a Flame right now.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 03:37 PM
  #55
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
In the off season, you were not getting Kovalchuk for a package built around Langkow and prospect/picks + future considerations. IF that was doable, Kovlachuk would be a Flame right now.
I'm just directing this at you I don't know why the guy is going on about Kovalchuk because it is just not a realistic possibility... Weight on the other hand is a realistic possibility... what types of prospects and young players do the Islanders need?

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 04:13 PM
  #56
West Coast Isles Fan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
West Coast Isles Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
what types of prospects and young players do the Islanders need?
You name it, we need it! The only thing we have an abundance of is 3rd/4th line checking/PK types.

West Coast Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 04:18 PM
  #57
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 38,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
I'm just directing this at you I don't know why the guy is going on about Kovalchuk because it is just not a realistic possibility... Weight on the other hand is a realistic possibility... what types of prospects and young players do the Islanders need?
The biggest need the Isles have is young dman. BUT, I agree with WCIF above. The Isles have needs at just about every position. So, basically, any package involving young picks and prospects is going to be of interest.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 04:52 PM
  #58
ugotmybeef*
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: LA BABY!!
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,391
vCash: 500
Isles will be lucky to get a 2nd round pick. He's producing because he's playing 20 plus minutes a game and won't get that opportunity on a better team.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 04:55 PM
  #59
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
The biggest need the Isles have is young dman. BUT, I agree with WCIF above. The Isles have needs at just about every position. So, basically, any package involving young picks and prospects is going to be of interest.
Perhaps Pelech & Chucko for Weight? Both are mid-level prospects, Chucko is really improving dramatically this season and is 3rd on the baby Flames in points... Pelech is a big bodied defenseman that is a hard worker and got himself a very long look at Flames camp this fall

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 05:01 PM
  #60
VHC
Registered User
 
VHC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 1,452
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to VHC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
Isles will be lucky to get a 2nd round pick. He's producing because he's playing 20 plus minutes a game and won't get that opportunity on a better team.
That's not correct at all. No one is scoring 5 on 5, the reason he is piling on the points is because he is part of a great powerplay tandem with Mark Streit.

What the Isles need is young scoring or a young defenseman. We have good physical/checking types but scoring is an issue. Schremp is along the correct lines, in that he has that scoring talent but hasn't put it together yet.

VHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 05:20 PM
  #61
Hipster Doofus
Registered User
 
Hipster Doofus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 6,452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
Isles will be lucky to get a 2nd round pick. He's producing because he's playing 20 plus minutes a game and won't get that opportunity on a better team.
On anotehr team he will also be playing with better linemates, it goes both ways.

Bottom line is the guy is producing at a 1st line level for teh first time in years on a team that is devoid of talent, he's won the cup, and would be a welcome addition to any team looking to make a playoff run. Also his contract come soff the books so he is not a longterm (i.e. potential cap killer) addition to any team. I'd imagine he could fetch a pretty good package.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 05:52 PM
  #62
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 28,129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenzOil View Post
Weight to EDM for Schremp + 3rd
I'd consider it.

If one projects NYI "possibly" drafting Taveras (or Duchene, for that matter) next June, the idea of Schremp as a playmaking LW alongside him is intriguing. That said, the idea of two guys who are not known for speed (though one reads that Taveras is improved in this area) is a concern. As is the thought of a combination of one guy who has a rep for defensive deficiencies and another who will be just a newbie in the league. (And newbie forwards typically do not possess defensive acumen.)

As such, if this deal were made, NYI would require speed and defensive prowess on the right side. (try to sign E. Cole as a UFA?)

Per Darth and others, Schremp is a question mark as a bonafide NHL top six forward (holes in his game). As such, however, he is exactly the type of "can miss or "B" prospect that Weight would fetch. And frankly, NYI needs some warm bodies like him for the 2009-10 season (read: potential NHLers), not more future draft picks who will not see the light of day until 2014, if ever.

Just kicking it around.

Would love to expand/modify the deal if Edmonton where interested in Witt (despite Darth's protests to the contrary!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan1 View Post
I'd like to see something like:

Axelsson+1st round pick+Lehtonen
Didn't see the Bs needing Guerin, but you know your team better than I.

What about Lashoff for Guerin, as a conversation starter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
The biggest need the Isles have is young dman.
Agreed.

See above re: Lashoff. Wanted to first see if the Bs would take for Sutton (veteran toughness on the backline) for him, but the Sutton is now injured, and I doubt they'd move a young backliner for that contract.

Next to Chicago: Offer Comrie for D prospect Niklas Hjalmarsson.

Finally, I'd look back to Edmonton and dangle Witt+ for some combination of Smid/Peckman.


Last edited by Trottier: 12-22-2008 at 06:08 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 06:22 PM
  #63
Nikita Filatov*
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,301
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Didn't see the Bs needing Guerin, but you know your team better than I.

What about Lashoff for Guerin, as a conversation starter?
I wouldn't call it a need, really, but he would be good to have back. I really liked him and I think he could help us push for the cup. It also never hurts adding a home town vet. He had 2 of his best seasons here as well.

Lashoff, for me anyway, would be hard to deal, but the FO might be up for it.

Lucic- Savard- Kessel
Guerin- Bergeron- Sturm
Wheeler -Krejci- Ryder
Thornton -Yelle- Kobasew

Is 4 dangerous lines...

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 06:24 PM
  #64
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 500
Edm has too much $$ tied up in Souray, Staios, Visnovsky and Gilbert that they cant afford to part with guys like Smid, Grebeshkov and Peckham.

how about:

Weight + Witt
for
Staios + Schremp

can add a 3rd or a mid tier prospect (bryan young eg) to one of the ends to balance this proposal.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 06:57 PM
  #65
Hipster Doofus
Registered User
 
Hipster Doofus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 6,452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
I'd consider it.


Per Darth and others, Schremp is a question mark as a bonafide NHL top six forward (holes in his game). As such, however, he is exactly the type of "can miss or "B" prospect that Weight would fetch. And frankly, NYI needs some warm bodies like him for the 2009-10 season (read: potential NHLers), not more future draft picks who will not see the light of day until 2014, if ever.
I remember you making a point that the Islanders would be well served making a Ribiero esque move. I.E. acquire a guy with talent but for whatever reason has put himself out of favor within his current organization. Scremp is very similiar to Ribiero in many ways. Wouldn't be the worst of returns for us.

And he's a New Yorker, which is always nice.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 07:02 PM
  #66
Robert Pahlsson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 311
vCash: 500
His trade value is higher than a year ago. For a contender that is looking for a playmaker and veteran, he could probably get a 2nd rounder or a good prospect possibly to Chicago for Bufyglien or in a pachage for Cam Barker.

although I think The Islanders need to get rid of Comrie first.

mik

Robert Pahlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 07:07 PM
  #67
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 28,129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenzOil View Post
Edm has too much $$ tied up in Souray, Staios, Visnovsky and Gilbert that they cant afford to part with guys like Smid, Grebeshkov and Peckham.

how about:

Weight + Witt
for
Staios + Schremp

can add a 3rd or a mid tier prospect (bryan young eg) to one of the ends to balance this proposal.
Just an outsider's perspective here, but the abundance of youth Edmonton possesses on the backline is both a plus and a minus. On the one hand, they are undeniable assets. On the other hand, no team that wants to seriously contend for a Cup within the next couple of years is going to ice Smid + Grebs + Peckham + Petry (not mention Chorney).

Don't misinterpet that as an insult; I'd kill for NYI have that talent (which is why I'm interested in one of more). That said, collectively, you are looking at very little NHL experience. And one needs to only look at the collective age of Cup-caliber backlines - experience matters. You can get away much easier with youth up front than on your backline.

All that said, I see Lowe likely moving one or more of them down the road. Not suggesting that Witt is a worthy return, but...

As for Staios, that is lateral/backwrds move for NYI. Nice player, but there is no rationale for NYI to move Witt for him.

Best we just keep it Weight for Schremp +#3.


Last edited by Trottier: 12-22-2008 at 07:14 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 10:41 PM
  #68
The Depahted
Registered User
 
The Depahted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: ISL
Country: United States
Posts: 702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan1 View Post
I wouldn't call it a need, really, but he would be good to have back. I really liked him and I think he could help us push for the cup. It also never hurts adding a home town vet. He had 2 of his best seasons here as well.

Lashoff, for me anyway, would be hard to deal, but the FO might be up for it.

Lucic- Savard- Kessel
Guerin- Bergeron- Sturm
Wheeler -Krejci- Ryder
Thornton -Yelle- Kobasew

Is 4 dangerous lines...
I dont want Guerin in Black and Gold come playoff time. 50 pts in 105 playoff games and -18... from a 1st line winger. That really isnt helping us get the cup. I'll pass.

The Depahted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 10:52 PM
  #69
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 38,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenzOil View Post
Edm has too much $$ tied up in Souray, Staios, Visnovsky and Gilbert that they cant afford to part with guys like Smid, Grebeshkov and Peckham.

how about:

Weight + Witt
for
Staios + Schremp

can add a 3rd or a mid tier prospect (bryan young eg) to one of the ends to balance this proposal.
No interest in Staios, and Witt isn't getting moved.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 10:56 PM
  #70
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 38,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
Perhaps Pelech & Chucko for Weight? Both are mid-level prospects, Chucko is really improving dramatically this season and is 3rd on the baby Flames in points... Pelech is a big bodied defenseman that is a hard worker and got himself a very long look at Flames camp this fall

Personally, I'd rather get a 2nd rounder out of the deal. That said, this deal is obviously fair value.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 11:42 PM
  #71
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,151
vCash: 500
First off, Garth Snow just came out in the media and praised Brendan Witt. This comes after Witt called out the entire coaching staff and the system. It is HIGHLY doubtful Witt goes anywhere.

As for Weight, call me crazy, but he has value. Quite a bit at this point. If there's a contending team that is looking to add a forward who will likely be above the 70 point plateu come the deadline, your going to pay for it. He's having his best season in how long? He's playing on a god awful team, so most of his production is coming because he's EARNING it. There's nobody special feeding him the puck(besides Streit on the PP), has looked extremely dangerous on the man up and has put out some nice moves 5 on 5.

He's certainly having a good season. At the deadline, with the season Weight is having and how cheap he could come, he could very well be the piece a team like Vancouver/Calgary could want. I have no idea what I'd want, but I'm willing to guess that a 2nd round pick and a pretty good prospect starts the bidding.

So maybe that helps.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 12:19 AM
  #72
BelovedIsles
Registered User
 
BelovedIsles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In Your head [;
Country: United States
Posts: 10,010
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
I have to think there will be suitors for both Weight and Guerin come deadline, especially for a team that thinks it has a hole at the 1st or 2nd line pivot position. Give Weight first or second line minutes, PP time, better line mates, he'll produce.

The M. (assuming you're referring to Mikko) Lehtonen (good Finnish prospect) and a first for Weight or Guerin is intriguing.

Also like the idea of Lashoff. A package for Drew Stafford would be ideal, but that's a stretch as I don't think Buffalo will part with him.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 12:26 PM
  #73
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 38,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
I have to think there will be suitors for both Weight and Guerin come deadline, especially for a team that thinks it has a hole at the 1st or 2nd line pivot position. Give Weight first or second line minutes, PP time, better line mates, he'll produce.

The M. (assuming you're referring to Mikko) Lehtonen (good Finnish prospect) and a first for Weight or Guerin is intriguing.

Also like the idea of Lashoff. A package for Drew Stafford would be ideal, but that's a stretch as I don't think Buffalo will part with him.
I think there will be suitors too - just not high paying suitors. IMO, most of the deals offered in this thread are pretty close to his real value. But, I guess we'll see.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 12:44 PM
  #74
Sneekypete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Branford,Ct
Country: United States
Posts: 2,457
vCash: 500
Stafford,Mcarthur and a 4th for Weight and Guerin.That would be a great deal.I dont see Buffalo moving Stafford here but it looks pretty fair.

Sneekypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 05:46 PM
  #75
BelovedIsles
Registered User
 
BelovedIsles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In Your head [;
Country: United States
Posts: 10,010
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
I think there will be suitors too - just not high paying suitors. IMO, most of the deals offered in this thread are pretty close to his real value. But, I guess we'll see.
The one factor working in the Isles favor is competition; smaller supply, larger demand. B/c of parity we may see more teams in contention at the deadline and therefore more teams unwilling to sell (instead standing pat or even buying).

Take a look at teams that project to be selling, for example, NYI, Atl, Stl, and Tampa. Outside of Andy Mac (who knows how his injury impacts his value) and Keith Tk., I don't see many players that would be more appealing than Weight, and to a lesser extent Guerin. If Toronto falters Nik Antropov could be appealing, but basically there isn't much out there and this could work in the Isles' favor. Possibly a Steven R. from Phoenix, but I foresee them hovering around the 8th spot.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.