HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

EXTREME HYPOTHETICAL: Carter or the Cup?

Old
12-22-2008, 04:39 PM
Brophy

vCash: 500
keep em, we win the cup when we win the cup. i want a cup contender team for years.

Brophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 04:41 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Hell, no. Why would I trade a decade of being a serious contender with the serious possibility of multiple cups for 1 cup and being a minor player for a decade because we have one line only.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 04:45 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Thanks for putting "Extreme Hypothetical" in the title so I know not to take it seriously.

Anyway, I'd take the trade and the Cup, period. The logo on the front is more important than the name on the back.

Look at the number of Cups we've had in the past 15 years with some big names on our team. Zero. At this point I have no problem taking one and working with it from there. Besides, if Kaberle was going for Carter, we could trade him away and get some good players in return. Also, with the number of good players coming up in the system, I think competition for space on this team is going to become a real thing in the future regardless, so even if Carter were to be gone (which I'm not saying I want him gone) I think we'd still be off just fine.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 05:41 PM
CantSeeColors

I wouldn't be upset with that trade even if it didn't bring the cup. Kaberle on that contract is pretty fantabulous and would have made things even better when we didn't have to overpay for Randy Jones just to have a somewhat competent third defenseman a few months later. I love Carter, but sign me up.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 06:44 PM
shamski7

Send a message via AIM to shamski7
i hate threads like this. they're worthless.

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 02:44 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
Trade Carter and hypothetically win the cup...where do I sign?

Trade Richards and hypothetically win the cup...where do I sign?

Of course I'd take the Cup of any player, who wouldn't???
Absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
The Rangers did it 94 when they made all those trades to get them the players they made to win the Cup. Look at the players they traded. Of course a few years later they were terrible but they still had that Cup.
I would do the same thing. trading a player that might help us get a cup in the future over a guy that would put us over the top. I dont care who it is, I would do it in a second. I would trade a Cup for years of being terrible to average any day of the week.
"..and this one will last a lifetime.." You bet I'd take the Cup. You could trade this entire team and Homer, too. Just one Cup, just one, one year at the top..one year to be head and shoulders above all others...

Interesting, the day after we swept 'em in '95, the NY Daily News (I believe) had a writer who wrote, "The NY Rangers put together a team to win a Cup--and that's exactly what they did." As much as they may have missed a bunch of those players that they traded away that year, ask any Ranger fan whether they'd rather have the one they got in '94 followed by years of mediocrity or to still listen to '1940,' and I bet each one of them would pick the single Cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamski7 View Post
i hate threads like this. they're worthless.
Maybe so, but all in good fun.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 10:33 AM
tytech

I can't believe what I am reading. I would trade richards, carter, timonen, coburn or anyone else's favourite flyer for a cup.

I would take a cup this year even if it mean missing the playoffs for the next 5. Winning a cup simply doesn't happen, if at all to some franchises.

If we win a cup I could die peacefully even if it was in 20 years from now. Being competitive for the next 20 years and not winning a cup would have me die a miserable old fart.

It all comes down to a cup, however it happens as long as it's the flyers and as long as I'm alive.

tytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 11:48 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilliam Shakesbeer View Post
Richards
Briere
Umberger

Just a guess.
Umberger would still have been moved since Kaberle's contract would just replace Carter's

anyways, if the trade would have given us the cup, then i would take the trade over carter for sure

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 01:17 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post

Interesting, the day after we swept 'em in '95, the NY Daily News (I believe) had a writer who wrote, "The NY Rangers put together a team to win a Cup--and that's exactly what they did." As much as they may have missed a bunch of those players that they traded away that year, ask any Ranger fan whether they'd rather have the one they got in '94 followed by years of mediocrity or to still listen to '1940,' and I bet each one of them would pick the single Cup.
yup excactly. I really believe if the Flyers had pulled the trigger on the Ray Bourque trade in 99-2000 they would have won the Cup. Harry Sinden wanted Simon Gagne, Clarke passed and Bourque won his Cup in Colorado a year later.
I would have traded Simon Gagne for a Cup. Wouldnt even think twice about it.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 12:06 AM
PlantersOye

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Uh, yeah, if it guarentees us a Cup then yes, I do that trade in a second. Why would anyone rather have Carter on the team than win a cup? Isnt the main reason we all want Carter because we think he is a big part of getting us that cup? I dont want the guy just because hes good and scores goals. I want the guy because i think having him gives us a better chance to win the Cup and if Kaberle, or anyone for that matter was enough to guarentee us a cup I would do the trade without a question.

Who the hell is going to say otherwise?
Agreed. Isn't it to win the Cup in the first place? However, we're talking about Jeff Carter and I say keep him. With him, we'll be Stanley Cup contenders now and the future with him, rather than just focusing on this one season over many more.

Last edited by PlantersOye: 12-31-2008 at 12:14 AM.
PlantersOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 01:15 AM
healthyscratch

I'd trade my mother for a guaranteed cup. Ok maybe not mom, but definitely my sister.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 01:40 AM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cast View Post
Agreed. Isn't it to win the Cup in the first place? However, we're talking about Jeff Carter and I say keep him. With him, we'll be Stanley Cup contenders now and the future with him, rather than just focusing on this one season over many more.
Guaranteed cup win is far better than "contender." We've been contenders for the better part of two decades now, to heck with that, I want the Cup.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 01:57 AM
Miss Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
We've been contenders for the better part of two decades now, to heck with that, I want the Cup.
Word.

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 02:16 AM
chaosof99*

Isn't it three decades? I think the only time the Flyers were not a Cup Contender was the early 90s and the season which shall not be named.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote