HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Pierre McGuire on WFAN

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2004, 06:12 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500
Pierre McGuire on WFAN

MCGuire was on 'FAN with Mike and the Mad Dog after 6PM. Things of note: (1) He loves Renney as a hockey man and thinks he'd do a great job once the dust settles and the kids are all here. (2) He thinks the turnaround will only take about two to three years. (3) Barnaby, Rucinsky and DeVries are the most in demand Rangers in trade talks. He even suggested that LA's waiving of Sim and Norton could be an attempt by LA to clear space for a deal with the Rangers.

Old
03-04-2004, 06:31 PM
nyr5186

Yea, I heard the interview too. I dont know about Renney as coach. He came in this season and promised to install a system and be the X's and O's guy, but I haven't seen anything even close to that. Holik was right when he said the Rangers, fundamentally, are the worst team in the NHL. And I think Renney has to take some of the blame for that. The trading of Leetch and perhaps Messier signals to me that we need to start from scratch, and that means from the top on down.

The best part about the interview was McGuire's analogy of Leetch playing on the Rangers to a Pro Bowl linebacker playing with an inept secondary with no coaching. The funny thing is that Mike & the Mad Dog couldnt believe that the Rangers were really that badly coached. It was almost like they finally got it.

Old
03-04-2004, 06:54 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr4life5186
Yea, I heard the interview too. I dont know about Renney as coach. He came in this season and promised to install a system and be the X's and O's guy, but I haven't seen anything even close to that. Holik was right when he said the Rangers, fundamentally, are the worst team in the NHL. And I think Renney has to take some of the blame for that. The trading of Leetch and perhaps Messier signals to me that we need to start from scratch, and that means from the top on down.
hey guys i heard about this site on the fan today looks nifty.. hope i can contribute.. anyway i wanted to comment on this.. i think its clear that renney was not able to get the message across to the players in that position... the way they play now, accountability and something that somewhat resembles a system under him as a coach tells me he wasnt able to do his thing before.. like renney and think he would be a good coach for us but i think with all the pressure now on sather he might not revert to his old ways keeping the unproven, lower level type coaches but might actually try to sign someone like joel quenneville... what do u guys think??

Old
03-04-2004, 09:19 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Yeah. Someone plugged the site today.

Old
03-04-2004, 09:23 PM
Barnaby

I like Larry Robinson like Brooks suggested. If you want to keep Renney on as an assistant that fine, but if you have a guy like Robinson you might as well let Rennney focus on his real job.

Old
03-04-2004, 10:22 PM
NJDevs430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather
Yeah. Someone plugged the site today.
At least some people were listening...the dynamic duo just blew him off.
Meanwhile, they memorize the career stats of some point guard on the Portland Trailblazers.
}:-(>

Old
03-05-2004, 09:44 AM
mcphee

Pierre Mcguire does a daily bit on a Montreal English sports radio show and has been particularly critical of the Rangers. He's been pretty vocal as to how they don't seem to get what it takes to build a team and how the staff hadn't held the players accountable. He's been consistent about this for awhile now.
I heard Larry Robinson being interviewed about how close he was to taking the Rangers job this year. He said that the job was offered but in the end, he refused.He said that taking a job like that should have excited him but he realized it didn't feel right. I don't know that the roster turnover would change his mind, Sather is still GM. He will have to feel pretty comfortable to coach again.

Old
03-05-2004, 10:23 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Pierre Mcguire does a daily bit on a Montreal English sports radio show and has been particularly critical of the Rangers. He's been pretty vocal as to how they don't seem to get what it takes to build a team and how the staff hadn't held the players accountable. He's been consistent about this for awhile now.
I heard Larry Robinson being interviewed about how close he was to taking the Rangers job this year. He said that the job was offered but in the end, he refused.He said that taking a job like that should have excited him but he realized it didn't feel right. I don't know that the roster turnover would change his mind, Sather is still GM. He will have to feel pretty comfortable to coach again.

Someone with a fake Canadian accent plugged the site really nice yesterday on Mike and Mad Dog show around 2 pm. They wanted to know what experts give the scouting reports for these prospects. In all honesty, those two guys are arrogant a-holes.

Closed Thread