HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luca Sbisa

View Poll Results: When decision time comes, will he stay in the NHL or be sent back to juniors?
Yes, he will stay with the Flyers 98 75.38%
No, he will be sent back to juniors 32 24.62%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-23-2008, 03:14 PM
ArchieIsGod

vCash: 500
Luca Sbisa

interesting article in the paper today. do you think he will be in the opening night lineup?

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sport...th_Flyers.html

ArchieIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 03:20 PM
Jester

No...

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 03:22 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
No way. Our defense has got some serious issues if he even gets consideration

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 03:48 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

If he's ready to contribute, then it makes no sense for him not to be on the opening night roster. The Flyers have 10 games to give him a look/see. If Luca is playing a regular shift and if he seems competent and comfortable out there, then there should be no reason why he doesn't get a spot.

People make too much out of things some times. This whole 'he's too young, he needs to be experienced, he needs to learn the pro grame' rhetoric is garbage. You either have it or you don't. The only reason Sbisa should be sent down is if he isn't ready.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 04:01 PM
CantSeeColors

He's wearing number 47...

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 04:03 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

I think he's got the hockey sense, and ability to make it in the NHL this season, but I think he needs to put on some more size before that can happen. It looked like he got pushed around too easily last night. The earliest I can see him making the team is next season. Besides we have way too many defenders on this team currently. Give him another year, and see what our defenders right now can do.

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 04:05 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
He's wearing number 47...
And?

That said, he won't make the team. If he does, the defensemen we brought in have serious issues.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 04:08 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
is 47 is actual #, or just some training camp number.

Ive always liked the #47 for some reason... Couldn't tell you why

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 04:10 PM
Totally Radivojevic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
If he's ready to contribute, then it makes no sense for him not to be on the opening night roster. The Flyers have 10 games to give him a look/see. If Luca is playing a regular shift and if he seems competent and comfortable out there, then there should be no reason why he doesn't get a spot.

People make too much out of things some times. This whole 'he's too young, he needs to be experienced, he needs to learn the pro grame' rhetoric is garbage. You either have it or you don't. The only reason Sbisa should be sent down is if he isn't ready.
Agree completely. What will a ten day trial hurt, and if he looks horrific he can catch the next flight to Lethbridge. Let's see how he fairs.

Totally Radivojevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 04:26 PM
Jester

Quote:
Well, for starters I'm pretty sure we haven't signed him to a NHL contract yet, and we don't have a contract to give without trading someone else...So, just signing him for a 10 game try out at the expense of losing another asset is a bit silly.

Quote:
It's not garbage, it's why players get better from their rookie year on...because they get experience...learn the pro game...and develop physically.

What's more odd is that I know you celebrated the arrival of Luce here and he's someone who is philosophically opposed to any player going directly to the NHL without spending time in the AHL.

Old
09-23-2008, 04:39 PM
BWAVgal
Clever comment here

vCash: 176
No, he won't be in the lineup. Eminger and Vaananen look to be good additions for our lineup. He doesn't have a chance.

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 04:40 PM
BringBackStevens

Look, Sbisa showed a lot of promise last night, but if people think he is ready for the NHL after that game i think they need their prescriptions checked

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 04:59 PM
McNasty

He needs to add some muscle, but I can see him getting a real hard look next year.

McNasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 05:09 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Quote:

Yeah, but you see the problem is it didn't even look like he was close to ready last night. He was getting pushed around all over the ice, and although he is mature for his age, he still needs polishing and he needs to put on some more weight.

Old
09-23-2008, 05:16 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, for starters I'm pretty sure we haven't signed him to a NHL contract yet, and we don't have a contract to give without trading someone else...So, just signing him for a 10 game try out at the expense of losing another asset is a bit silly.
I have no problems with that. I understand Sbisa doesn't have a contract. However, if he plays well, it's really going to force the management to make some decisions. And if he's signed and we have to send him back, it doesnt' necessarily mean that we're losing someone. For instance, people on here seem to think Parent's not ready, so worse case scenario is that Parent gets sent to the Phantoms for a few games so that management decides what to do with Sbisa. It's a good scenario to have because Sbisa is going to push people to perform.

Quote:
It's not garbage, it's why players get better from their rookie year on...because they get experience...learn the pro game...and develop physically.
It is garbage rhetoric because it's an excuse by many teams. Hey, if a guy's ready, he's ready. You know it, I know it, everyone else knows it. If you're sending someone down not because they're ready, but because you've got contract issues to work out or because they have this loop hole that they don't have to pass through waivers, it's a shoddy way to treat someone who beat out a veteran. That's my problem with everything. If you've got a young guy who comes in and clearly beats out a veteran, but you keep the veteran on board because the young player doesn't have to clear waivers or can be sent back to junior, then it's a piss poor policy management has in place. If the understanding is that you go with your best players to win, what does a scenario like this say?

Quote:
What's more odd is that I know you celebrated the arrival of Luce here and he's someone who is philosophically opposed to any player going directly to the NHL without spending time in the AHL.
I did celebrate the arrival of Luce and I will continue to celebrate the arrival of Luce because the man has an eye for talent and more importantly, has a good idea on how to develop talent. Part of the problem with the Flyers over the past few years is that we've seen plenty of young talent come through the doors and be sent out just as quick because they haven't been developed properly.

With that being said, just because Luce's philosophical view of players spending time in the AHL is mandatory, it doesn't mean that it's something that every player should fall under. I'm a firm believer of the best players get the jobs. If you have a young player and he's not ready, then yes, the AHL or Junior Hockey is certainly fine. Nothing wrong with that. My only preference is that if you send someone to the AHL, then you leave them there for the year. Don't call them up if you're only going to play them 7 to 9 minutes a night. It's detrimental. Leave them there for the full year to play 17 to 20 minutes a night and then next season when training camp rolls around, they're ready to log big minutes.

However, if you have a player that's ready, has outperformed a lot of the veterans on the team, but you're sending him back to junior or the AHL based on a philosophy, is that doing the player any good?

Old
09-23-2008, 05:19 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Yeah, but you see the problem is it didn't even look like he was close to ready last night. He was getting pushed around all over the ice, and although he is mature for his age, he still needs polishing and he needs to put on some more weight.
and you know what, then that's fine. If he's not ready to contribute, then send him back to junior. There's nothing wrong with that. I'm just saying that if someone is ready to contribute, and from all the reports that I've read about Sbisa and from the glowing reports management have given, then it sounds like a ten game trial might be in the works for him. If he's not ready, then you can send him back. No harm, no foul.

Old
09-23-2008, 05:21 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Quote:
and you know what, then that's fine. If he's not ready to contribute, then send him back to junior. There's nothing wrong with that. I'm just saying that if someone is ready to contribute, and from all the reports that I've read about Sbisa and from the glowing reports management have given, then it sounds like a ten game trial might be in the works for him. If he's not ready, then you can send him back. No harm, no foul.
I agree with you 100%. If a guy should be here, he should be here. So a veteran gets pissed he got bumped by a rook, too bad, live with it. Should've worked harder.

Old
09-23-2008, 05:24 PM
mm6492

this year: Giroux and eventually downie
next year: Sbisa and JvR

gagne-Richards-Briere
JvR-Carter-Giroux
Lupul-Downie-Hartnell
Cote-Metro-asham

Timmonen-Coburn
Parent-Sbisa
Jones-Eminger

very fast D that could use some size but is very gritty.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 06:08 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
I agree with you 100%. If a guy should be here, he should be here. So a veteran gets pissed he got bumped by a rook, too bad, live with it. Should've worked harder.
The issue isn't the veteran, it's the short-sighted "must be now" mentality with young talented players. Not everyone, even if they have the hockey talent, should be playing in the NHL. You can't tell me for a moment Joni Pitkanen wouldn't have been better off playing in Finland for a couple of years...people point DIRECTLY to the Flyers keeping Dainus Zubrus up at 18 y/o for stunting his offensive potential at the NHL level.

Quote:
With that being said, just because Luce's philosophical view of players spending time in the AHL is mandatory, it doesn't mean that it's something that every player should fall under. I'm a firm believer of the best players get the jobs. If you have a young player and he's not ready, then yes, the AHL or Junior Hockey is certainly fine. Nothing wrong with that. My only preference is that if you send someone to the AHL, then you leave them there for the year. Don't call them up if you're only going to play them 7 to 9 minutes a night. It's detrimental. Leave them there for the full year to play 17 to 20 minutes a night and then next season when training camp rolls around, they're ready to log big minutes.
No, that's EXACTLY what his philosophy of player development is. That in the long-term young players are far better served in their development by a full season in the AHL...no matter how good they might be. We may or may not agree with that, I just find it odd you'd be such a huge Luce supporter, while at the same time directly disagreeing with one of the main aspects of his developmental philosophy.

Old
09-23-2008, 06:13 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
And?

That said, he won't make the team. If he does, the defensemen we brought in have serious issues.
and if they expected him to have a shot at making the team, he'd be wearing a real number.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 06:29 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
this year: Giroux and eventually downie
next year: Sbisa and JvR

gagne-Richards-Briere
JvR-Carter-Giroux
Lupul-Downie-Hartnell
Cote-Metro-asham

Timmonen-Coburn
Parent-Sbisa
Jones-Eminger

very fast D that could use some size but is very gritty.
Don't forget Brodov

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 07:01 PM
Chuck Downie
Berube is Chief

vCash: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff VanRichards View Post
Don't forget Brodov
and possibly Lehtivuori.

Chuck Downie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 07:35 PM
HighOFFHockey

way way to early to talk about next year. plus i would to see the flyers keep upshall if they can sign him for a good price.

HighOFFHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 07:38 PM
Raffl House

vCash: 513
I hope he plays a monster preseason and then goes and dominates in juniors. Then we'll talk. One preseason game where he looked decent and good scoring in fitness testing doesn't mean a damn thing.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 08:23 PM
ELab2

No chance this year... maybe next year

there will be huge turnover once again on this team next year though

Lehtivuori, Ratchuk, Marshall, Bartulis, Bodrov, and Sbisa all have a good shot at being pretty close to ready. That's a lot of d-men.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote