HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What's the best game you have attended?

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2004, 01:54 PM
electric

vCash: 500
April 5th 1995... Canadiens 6, Nordiques 5

First game after the big trade (Muller, Schneider and Darby for Turgeon and Malakhov)

Also April 9th 2002 against Ottawa... Koivu's comeback. I met Jacques Demers that day and he was really nice.

Old
03-05-2004, 01:59 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

1994 Eastern Conference Finals Game 6- Messier predicted a win and scored a hat trick. Boo

1988- Patrick Division Finals Game 3- Devils 10 Caps 4, Patrick Sundstrom ties the record for most points in a playoff game with 8.

1988- Wales Conference Finals Game 6- The game after Jim Schoenfeld said "have another donut you fat pig" to Don Koharski. A judge ruled Schoenfeld could appeal his suspension and play, the NHL officials refused to participate so backup officials were found at the last minute. The officials wore the green and yellow sweatpants from The Garden State Games.

1999- Inaugural Game for the Atlanta Thrashers

Last edited by btn: 03-05-2004 at 02:10 PM.
Old
03-05-2004, 02:00 PM
EquabaleAce

Send a message via MSN to EquabaleAce
I've been to 2 NHL games in my life, and my first one was the best by far. It was game 5 between the Habs and the Bruins in the 2002 playoffs. The tickets cost $150 a piece but i didn't care. I was in Montreal the day after game 4 and every radio station wanted McLaren arrested for his hit on Zednik. Zed was on fire at the time too as you all know. We were in the Fleet Center and the atmosphere was amazing. The habs pulled one out despit being badly outshot by the Bruins, and Killer set one up i believe as well. Murray hit the post in the 3rd with under a min left, and my Habs won.

Old
03-05-2004, 02:16 PM
Brodeur

2001 - Frenzy on Figueroa - Kings down 3-0 with 6+ minutes left. Crowd is dead, several dozen Wings fans leave taunting the crowd. Journeyman Scott Thomas pops in a PP goal. Jozef Stumpel gets a fluke goal off of a centering pass deflected by Chris Chelios' skate. Bryan Smolinski ties it with 50 seconds left, Eric Belanger wins it in OT.

Great game.......although I think I had the absolute worst seats possible. I was nosebleeds behind Potvin twice, and I was sitting next to a family of tourists it seemed like.....but an amazing game nonetheless.

Old
03-05-2004, 02:44 PM
eSabre

Send a message via AIM to eSabre
Tough one... I've been to a lot of games over the years (probably reaching 120-130...), but here's my top 2:

1. 2001 ECQ Game 6 - Sabres 8, Flyers 0 - The place was rockin' from the drop of the puck. I'll never forget the crowd chanting "Na na na na, hey hey, goodbye" with 13 minutes left in the SECOND period when it was 6-0... It was like one giant party after the end of the 1st period with the game in hand... just awesome.

2. 1999 ECF Game 4 - Sabres 5, Leafs 2 - Great, high intensity game, and put the Sabres up 3-1 in the series. Rob frickin' Ray scored the winner! There was so much intensity in the stands even... I remember a banner hanging from the 300s... "Caravan Back to Canada, hosers!" (CBC)... awesome.

Old
03-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Jennifer 19

Send a message via MSN to Jennifer 19 Send a message via Skype™ to Jennifer 19
Not been to very many games...but the best for me was easily game 5 Sens vs. NJ last year....it was incredible.

Old
03-05-2004, 05:07 PM
albathegreat*

Leafs in Ottawa, the 5 goal come back this year. Nothing better than see the Corel Centre half full of Leaf fans.

Old
03-05-2004, 05:16 PM
bleedgreen

ray bourques first game as an av vs edm - scored the game winner with his career 400th

game 1 avs/devils finals
last whaler game
second to last whaler game k primeau fights brother in big win (best game)
whale/ detroit(95?) - osgood shoots and scores from his net
whale/ pitt (pierre mcguire whale coach 94?- just brutal) calls for jagr illegal stick going onto ot. jagr gets pissed grabs another illegal stick off the bench as he goes to the box waving it at mcguire, times his run out of the penalty box into a flat out break away and scores waving his illegal stick all the way off ice (most humiliating game)

Old
03-05-2004, 05:17 PM
Dizzy

I was at the Flyers-Leafs game November 1st when Philly won 7-1 to start their unbeaten month. Pretty sweet being only a few rows behind the Flyers bench and cheering loudly all game while the Leafs fans mostly disappeared from my section after the second period.

Old
03-06-2004, 06:19 AM
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDevil
2000 SCF Game 5 Devils vs Stars. The Devils eventually lost 1-0 in the 3rd overtime, but I have never seen two goalies play out of their minds like that in such a big game and for 6 periods! The Devils have been in some other long 0-0 overtime games, but this one had all the scoring chances you could possibly want. It made it even more exciting, because if Holik could have just scored on one of his 7,000 chances, we would have seen the cup that night.
I was there too. Great game. The only downside (besides the NJ loss) was I was planning a wild night out in Hoboken after the game. By the time we got there, all the bars had last call and we closing up.

The weirdest game (but a good one nonetheless) I was at was the 1989 NJ-Boston playoff game on Mother's Day with the scab referees. After the Shoenfeld/Koharski Donut episode, the refs refused to skate, so minor league refs were used. The game was deleyed for about 45 minutes. The crowd was wired by the time the game started. Jersey won, too, but ended up losing the series.

Old
03-06-2004, 09:49 AM
ducky

Not an NHL game but the WHA Winnipeg Jets played the Soviet National team in an exhibition game in Winnipeg.

The Jets won 5 - 3 becoming (I believe) the first club team ever to defeat the Soviet team!

Old
03-06-2004, 10:05 AM
Ricci's hairdresser

March 26, 1997.

For Wings fans, nothing else needs to be said.

Wings set the stage to win the Stanley Cup.

McCarty exacts revenge on the Turtle, Vernon makes Roy his punching bag, and then McCarty scores the OT game winner.

The Cup-clinching games that were in Detroit (1997 and 2002) were sweet, but the single BEST GAME I have ever seen was the "Brawl in Hockeytown"

Old
03-06-2004, 11:37 AM
CNote
Get 'er done

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissmeimasensfan
I was at that game too...only not so happy with the outcome :p
the series worked out for you guys though Corel Centre is a great building...not a bad seat in the house and always a good time!

-dutch-

Old
03-06-2004, 01:29 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
6th game 2 years ago in the playoffs.

Montreal wins the serie against Boston. I was waiting for the game at my house to listen it on Tv... Then i said...: wtf i'm doing here, tonight we'll put down the bruins!

I call a friend, we goes to bell center, managed to find tickets just before the game... well about the last 2 tickets in the molson section (usual price about 30$)... costs us 100$ each.

GOD, was it worth the price? Hell YES! We win the serie and it was very nice game.
This year, i'm gonna attempt all Mtl home playoffs games but this time, i'll get the tickets for the real price hehe 3 games for the price of this game
_____
100$ is not that much but it is to be in the pit. But base on experience, the atmosphere is just so much better up there than close to the ice comes playoffs time (yes i have been in both place some times each).

Old
03-06-2004, 01:39 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Mario Tremblay's first game as a coach for the Habs back in 1995. I believe he and Houle were announced earlier in the day and I had no idea until I showed up at the game that they were the new coach and GM. Turgeon scored with about 1 second left in the game to win it for the Habs over the Leafs. It was the Habs first win of the season after 5 straight losses. It was the last time I saw Roy play for the Habs and the last game I ever saw at the Forum

Old
03-06-2004, 01:40 PM
devilsfan26

Send a message via AIM to devilsfan26
Gretzky's last skills competition and all-star game (1999 Tampa Bay)

2003 ECF Game 4 (Devils won 5-2)

I was at the first game Domi played against the Devils after getting suspended for that bullcrap elbow on Niedermayer. Right off the first drop of the puck, McKenzie beats the crap out of Domi. Devils were losing 2-0, then Elias got a natural hat-trick to win the game in OT. I missed the first goal he scored because I was getting food at the time (last minute of the 2nd period). Then they pulled Brodeur at the end of the 3rd and Elias scored again, then I think it was Domi got a penalty in OT and Elias scored on the powerplay.

Old
03-06-2004, 02:01 PM
GarryH24

I was at that game too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Liodice
Game 6 of the 2002 Playoffs - Isles vs. Leafs: 4 goals in the final 6 minutes of the game which was topped off with the penalty shot by Shawn Bates to win it with 2 minutes left. I never heard the Nassau Coliseum that loud before in my life. It got to a point where I couldn't hear myself talk. It was a memory that will be truly etched in my memory for a long, long time
But I am almost 100 % sure it was Game 4 you are talking about. Game 6 was the game where Czerkawski scored 2 goals if I remember correct.

Old
03-06-2004, 02:05 PM
beebs

The first game the Oilers won in the playoffs last year...my ears are still ringing

Old
03-06-2004, 02:12 PM
Oilers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeBeebs
The first game the Oilers won in the playoffs last year...my ears are still ringing
You mean the 2nd game right? Becuase the first game was won in Dallas and you sure couldn't tell it was playoff game. Half the seats were empty until the middle of the 2nd period, the building was abnormally quiet and generally a very pathetic atmosphere.

Game 3 at Rexall though....that was damn loud!! Rexall blows all the other arenas away come playoff time.

Old
03-06-2004, 03:15 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn
1994 Eastern Conference Finals Game 6- Messier predicted a win and scored a hat trick. Boo

1988- Patrick Division Finals Game 3- Devils 10 Caps 4, Patrick Sundstrom ties the record for most points in a playoff game with 8.

1988- Wales Conference Finals Game 6- The game after Jim Schoenfeld said "have another donut you fat pig" to Don Koharski. A judge ruled Schoenfeld could appeal his suspension and play, the NHL officials refused to participate so backup officials were found at the last minute. The officials wore the green and yellow sweatpants from The Garden State Games.

1999- Inaugural Game for the Atlanta Thrashers
Wow I was at the first three games you just mentioned, the first one I spilled a beer on somebody, was that you???

Old
03-06-2004, 03:21 PM
thistle

Dal @ Edm, 98 playoffs, game 3 or 4 (forget which one), Oil down 3 goals with 5 minutes remaining. Came back to tie it, then won it in OT...I literally had an out of body experience...one of the best moments in life, nevermind best game.

Old
03-06-2004, 04:11 PM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
2003 Playoffs: Canucks and Blues Game 7

Old
03-06-2004, 04:13 PM
SlavaKozlov

2002 Stanley Cup Finals Game 5 I was 4 rows behind the Detroit plyers bench. I got so lucky to be able to go to this game...my dad got tickets from guys he works with, and he took me. We live in Cleveland to, and he has to go to Detroit sometimes, and the guys then take him to a hockey game or something. Well, it happened the guy had 2 tickets for the game 5, and he told my dad to bring me up and go. As a Wings fan, greatest experience of my life! Seeing Hasek skate around with the cup (back when I believed he was going to retire...grrr...) seeing Luc and Duchesne, Stevie get tackled by Shanahan...great times! I stayed in Detroit for a few weeks afterward with my aunt and uncle to go to the parade and see all the specials on TV. GREAT STUFF!

Second place would be a game I went to in Buffalo, Wings vs Sabres...Slava Kozlov scored a hat trick (he was a red wing at the time, I think in 1999), it was great because he doesn't have too many of those in his career...even though the game ended in a 4-4 tie. If I remember right, I was pissed off Hasek didn't play...I don't think Satan did either...

Old
03-06-2004, 04:14 PM
thistle

The Heritage Classic was pretty cool to.

Old
03-06-2004, 04:15 PM
Habsfunk

1) Game 5 of the 1993 Stanley Cup Finals, Montreal Canadiens vs L.A. Kings
Montreal wins their 24th Stanley Cup with a 4-2 victory over the Kings. For the last 10 minutes of the game everyone was on their feet cheering and going nuts.

1a) March 11, 1996. Montreal Canadiens vs Dallas Stars.
It was the last game at the forum. The ovation for Maurice "Rocket" Richard was something else.

3) January 26, 1997, Montreal Canadiens vs Pittsburgh Penguins
Mario Lemieux enters the record book again with 4 goals in the 3rd period. It was 2-1 Montreal heading into the 3rd. Pittsburgh won it 5-2. He retired for the first time following that season.

And in the category of games I want to forget.
Montreal Canadiens @ Carolina Hurricanes, 2nd round, game 4 of the 2002 playoffs. Montreal was winning the series 2 games to 1 and I the game was up 3-0 at the start of the 3rd. Then it all went to hell. They blew a 3-0 lead, lost 4-3 in OT and barely even showed up the rest of the series, losing it in 6.

Closed Thread