HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What happens w/D'Ago when Koivu and Higgins are back?

Old
12-19-2008, 09:05 AM
Pascal

vCash: 500
What happens w/D'Ago when Koivu and Higgins are back?

Do they send him back down? There's not enough space for everyone. It'll be very difficult for the team to send him to Hamilton with the way he's playing, but what else can they do?

They can't sit anyone on the 4th line IMO, they've just been too good.

AKost Plek Kovalev
Higgins Koivu Tanguay
SKost Lang Lats
Begin Lapierre Kosto

Laraque D'Agostini

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 09:07 AM
knuck
On and off fan

well maybe akost is injured so that might give him some more time. If he's not then I would sit higgins for a while. That would piss him off a little and maybe wake him up at the same time

knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 09:11 AM
FrankMTL

If they send D'Agostini back to Hamilton, I will eat my shoes.

Even the games he hasn't scored, he has good chances. He even creates chances on his own.

I know we have compared him to a mix between Ryder and Higgins, but I think he has better acceleration then Higgins ever had (even pre-injury). D'Agostini has REALLY worked on this in the last few years. When he sees an opening, he just takes off and puts it into 5th gear. Great hands, a nose for the net, goes into the traffic areas and has a snipers mentality too. He's exactly what the habs have needed for a while.

Extremly impressive young player that will play in our top 6 for a long time if he continues to progress.

FrankMTL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 09:11 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Do they send him back down? There's not enough space for everyone. It'll be very difficult for the team to send him to Hamilton with the way he's playing, but what else can they do?

They can't sit anyone on the 4th line IMO, they've just been too good.

AKost Plek Kovalev
Higgins Koivu Tanguay
SKost Lang Lats
Begin Lapierre Kosto

Laraque D'Agostini
Honestly, Higgins is far from coming back so other injuries can happen, trades can happen as well so I'm not even thinking about it. Though one thing is pretty sure, he's not going down unless he slows down. If not, they WILL sit either Bégin, Kosto, Lats or SKost. Maybe D'Ago will sit from time to time as well, but he brings another dimension to this team it's scary. He has nothing to learn at the AHL level so in the end, if we have too many players, it's Bob's job to do something about it. If D'Ago does not slow down and is still being send down, I'll wonder how Bob is doing 'cause that would not be the right decision. 'Cause if he doesn't slow down, when Higgins will be back, it would mean that D'Ago could have close to 10 goals...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 09:13 AM
Pascal

i agree with the last 2 posts.

I think D'Ago might force Gainey to pull a move. I don't see the Habs sitting Lats/SKost for any long term period.

Old
12-19-2008, 09:18 AM
Maxpac

At this point Higgins has more chances to go back to Hamilton then D'Agostini. D'Ago has Higgins' speed and defensive awarness mixed with Micheal Ryder's shot. I am just amazed at his puck control when goes into high gear.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 09:20 AM
Pascal

He even LOOKS like Higgins.

Old
12-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Darz

a) Higgins isn't back for awhile

b) Dandenault isn't back for even longer

...this won't be an issue for a long time.

12-19-2008, 09:25 AM
Iwishihadacup

Bench Kovalev

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 09:26 AM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Its not even a question of sitting players as much as maximum roster. If we ever become healthy again (sigh) then we'd have too many players I believe.

In my opinion the one Dags is replacing right now is Higgins. Dags seems to be doing good two way play, amazing forechecking, and a nose for the net. Those are all things Higgins normally does (maybe minus the nose for the net part, despite his impressive goal total last year).

He could also be replacing SKost, but in my opinion I think the younger brother is here to stay. Partly because of his older brother and partly because he is more than likely suffering a second year slump.

As for potentially replacing Lats, I personally doubt it. Dags and Tender play two very different roles on the team. While Dags is all forecheck, cycling and sweet shots, Guy is about big checks and parking himself in front of the goalie (look at SKost goal last night and even Lats goal). So to me, we'd be comparing apples and oranges here with those two.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying trade Higgins or Skost or Lats, but at one point some room will have to be made. Hopefully sooner rather than latter, because that will mean we are healthy again.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 09:27 AM
HabsKing

Depends if the guy keeps scoring, if he doesn't peace!

HabsKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 09:30 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
He even LOOKS like Higgins.
You know you are right. With the helmet on he does look like Higgins.

D'Agostini is going nowhere. He's here to stay. Higgins isn't coming back for awhile. Dandenault will only be back in Feb- Mar and Andrei we know nothing yet.

There's lots of room for D'Agostini for now. Players that are not contributing on a consistent basis will sit (Lats & Sergei).

Since he has come up, D'Agostini has been one of if not our best player.

Enough Said.

BTW, I remember reading last year during training camp that the Detroit staff were looking at D'Agostini and had made an offer to Gainey. He obviously was not impressed by their offer or was impressed by D'Ago. Says something about this kid's talent and potential.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 09:31 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post

And even when it becomes one, if Daggs is still playing great, SKost or OB could very well benifit from a journey in Hamilton, they both still have a lot to learn, and the AHL might just be what they need.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 09:37 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post

In all likelyhood there will be no issue and a trade will likely happen if it gets to that point.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 09:55 AM
la25ecoupe

Begin will fake an injury

Or Laraque.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 10:00 AM
ToysInTheAttic

Don't see D'Ago being sent down. And we certainly won't see SK74 sent down, the guy is much too good for that to happen. Maybe O'Byrne.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 10:12 AM
x-bob

Shouldn't Higgins be sidelined for another month ? If D'Agostini continues his stellar pay during the month that follows, I can honeslty see Gainey move someone with value (Mainly Higgns himself) to help this team in the short run.

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 10:17 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
We are discussing this? seriously? If it ever gets to that, you make room on the lines, the kid is that good it appears.

Like it was mentioned, Dandy is out for a LONG time. There's no roster problem as everyone said he should be back sometime in late February. By the time he's truly ready to return, it's likely it will be right around the trade deadline on March 4th and rosters expand then so we'll be fine with 24 players around.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 10:19 AM
5 man unit

Wow! So much Higgins hate.
Send Higgins to Hamilton???????

Who are these people?

5 man unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 10:22 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Dandenault or Begin traded or O'Byrne sent down.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 10:25 AM
Netro

While I admit that D'Agostini looks really good right now, it is too early to make conclusions. He will inevitably hit a wall and then we need to see how he reacts.

Nonetheless, a nice problem to have don't y'all think? Better then the Dackell, Juneau days

Nice win last night

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 10:26 AM
LyleOdelein

I'm very interested to see if D'ago can bring this energy consistently every game over a long stretch. Sometimes after a call-up, players are energized and play incredibly for a stretch before falling back to Earth. D'ago is on the cusp of cementing his spot on this team, if he can play another 5 or 6 games at the level he has played so far. If he can continue to play like this (and I'm not just talking about goal contributions), the Habs have an awesome, awesome player on their hands.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 11:10 AM
Belso

I agree with a lot of posters here... D'Agostini is playing great hockey. There's two ways to see a players performance...

He scores, therefore he is playing great hockey or
He plays great hockey therefore he scores.

Dagenais was a "He scores therefore he plays great hockey." What happened to him when he stopped scoring? Europe...

D'Agostini is playing great hockey and it is translating into goals.

I don't see why they would send him down unless he stops to play great hockey. Like an above poster said, It's not just the goals, it's his overall play that is impressive. He's become a threat out there and you just don't send a guy like that back to the minors when he's got nothing left to learn there..

If I'm Bob, what do I do? Pray that there is always room for him. If that doesn't happen, I have to send someone back To Hamilton or trade a player. But the one thing I don't do is send D'Agostini back to Hamilton if he keeps this up. If he starts to play like O'Byrne, then you send him down...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 11:19 AM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Higgins is 4 to 6 weeks away, if Montreal plays well they will rest him the full 6 weeks, this is a non issue until then. I don't see Koivu returning until after the x-mas break.

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 11:27 AM
CTHabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges of the Jungle View Post
I'm very interested to see if D'ago can bring this energy consistently every game over a long stretch. Sometimes after a call-up, players are energized and play incredibly for a stretch before falling back to Earth. D'ago is on the cusp of cementing his spot on this team, if he can play another 5 or 6 games at the level he has played so far. If he can continue to play like this (and I'm not just talking about goal contributions), the Habs have an awesome, awesome player on their hands.
Nice post! If D'Ag continues to pay well and the Habs get healthy, it will be a nice problem. In the meantime, can we see if he continues to play well over the long haul, or turns into Gilbert Dionne? It's amazing how quickly some people are ready to consider a player to be great, then turn around and want to trade him once he is in a slump.

CTHabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote