HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Need Gomez To Be Much Better

Old
12-23-2008, 02:33 PM
OneMinuteShift

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
and I think we are doomed for at least another 5 years after this season... which is coincidentally the time when the last of our horrible contracts will be off the team in Redden and Gomez. I don't see this team contending before they get rid of at least two of Redden, Gomez, and Drury. Prefereably in that order.
The word 'doomed' is being thrown around too losely here.

7 years of no playoffs is 'doomed'. 7 years of playoff teams with no cup sucks, but is it 'doomed' ?

OneMinuteShift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 04:22 PM
Duponttime*

Gomez must have about 10 to 11 assists wasted by dopes on this team who can't finish if their lives about it. Put a guy like Ovechkin on a line with Gomez and he would have over 40 points. Put a guy like Kessel on a line with Gomez and he would have 35 + points.

Duponttime* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 04:26 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duponttime View Post
Gomez must have about 10 to 11 assists wasted by dopes on this team who can't finish if their lives about it. Put a guy like Ovechkin on a line with Gomez and he would have over 40 points. Put a guy like Kessel on a line with Gomez and he would have 35 + points.
You need high draft picks to draft guys like Ovechkin and Kessel, unless you want to sign them as free agents the rare times they become that. Unfortunately, when you've already paid big money to four tremendous underachievers, that's hard to do.

The league's best goalscorers tend to be pretty hard to acquire. You've usually got to pay one of two prices: a lot of money, or a lot of sucking.

Considering the most important part of Gomez's game, and the only real part of his game that's above-average in any way, is his playmaking ability, maybe the team's management should have foreseen that that could be a problem, since this team doesn't have many goalscorers.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 05:20 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
I agree, he could have easily had 30+ points right now if we had any finishers at all on this team.

That still doesn't explain his turnovers and lack of effort in some games though. There is clear room for improvement

I kind of keep wishing that his shot will magically improve and he'll get 20-25 goals in a season, but that's more wishful thinking than anything else.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 05:58 PM
HAPPY HOUR

[QUOTE=billyH2O;16954856] He needs motivation.

Sad that those checks he cashes every month with all those zeros don't help with that need.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 10:40 PM
jesters09

Quote:
If youre paying the guy 7 million a year, he shouldnt need a superstar to produce. He should make everyoen around him better.

jesters09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 10:43 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Gomez with another....uneventful game...

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Gomez with another....uneventful game...
He needs help FLY. He has no linemates to help him...

Jaromir Jagr, Markus Naslund, Nikolai Zherdev...none of them are good enough for Gomez to play well. He needs better players...

God, the excuses for this guy don't end.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 10:57 PM
OneMinuteShift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
He needs help FLY. He has no linemates to help him...

Jaromir Jagr, Markus Naslund, Nikolai Zherdev...none of them are good enough for Gomez to play well. He needs better players...

God, the excuses for this guy don't end.
70 points last year, 2nd only to Jagr. That means he was doing something right.

This year, no Jagr and he hasnt been healthy. 7 points in his last 9 games though. Maybe his best is yet to come. Maybe?

Old
12-23-2008, 11:18 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMinuteShift View Post

This year, no Jagr and he hasnt been healthy. 7 points in his last 9 games though. Maybe his best is yet to come. Maybe?
Maybe you shouldn't be paying seven million dollars to a player who can't handle being a first liner, needs all sorts of special circumstances to prosper, and can't be properly motivated despite the fact that he has one of the league's most absurd contracts.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 11:20 PM
OneMinuteShift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Maybe you shouldn't be paying seven million dollars to a player who can't handle being a first liner, needs all sorts of special circumstances to prosper, and can't be properly motivated despite the fact that he has one of the league's most absurd contracts.
Take it up with Glen. I rooted for Mike Rogers. I rooted for Walt Poddubny. I'll root for Gomer.

Peace out, i'm tired as hell

Old
12-23-2008, 11:21 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:

Last year he was fine.

No Jagr this year..is that an excuse? I hope not.

Hes got the A...he and Dru are suppose to be the leaders. Not seeing it. If hes hurt then dont play. Id rather him get to 100% before playing at 80% and doing nothing like he is.

He has been nothing like he was last season. Zhederv is striving on his line but Gomez is not helping him at all.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 07:50 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:

Ok so Gomez sucking has to do solely on him playing injured and no Jagr. Rosy coming off SURGERY and starting slow = him being the worst defensemen on the team and completely worthless to many posters.

oh how I love the excuses being made for Drury and Gomez this season, so people can justify in their minds that they are worth their contracts and we should keep them.. keep the excuses rolling.

How bout people face the reality, that Gomez just isn't this great first line center. He just isn't. Stop w/ the excuses and just look at it for what it really is. Sather screwed the pooch in signing the smurfs to outrageous deals. Why do you think that EVERY OTHER TEAMS FANS were laughing hysterically at us. They knew we were screwed.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 07:57 AM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
yesterday's practice that opened with 15 minutes of power-play work.
My favorite quote in the article. They spent 15 minutes on PP work? PPs are meant to be automatic, tick tack toe, instinctual plays to score while you have an advantage. Yet the NYR, with one of the worst PPs int he league, spend just 15 minutes on it? Christ if someone has to take a leak during practice they'd miss the whole damn section of practice. Something as important as a PP needs more than 15 minutes of attention. Someone please tell me I'm misreading this.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 09:41 AM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
Ok so Gomez sucking has to do solely on him playing injured and no Jagr. Rosy coming off SURGERY and starting slow = him being the worst defensemen on the team and completely worthless to many posters.

oh how I love the excuses being made for Drury and Gomez this season, so people can justify in their minds that they are worth their contracts and we should keep them.. keep the excuses rolling.

How bout people face the reality, that Gomez just isn't this great first line center. He just isn't. Stop w/ the excuses and just look at it for what it really is. Sather screwed the pooch in signing the smurfs to outrageous deals. Why do you think that EVERY OTHER TEAMS FANS were laughing hysterically at us. They knew we were screwed.
I bet you if you were to put a poll on the main page with a list of players with terrible contracts Drury, Gomez, Rozsival and Redden would probably make up four of the top ten.

Every team has bad contracts thats to be expected but our team is just the epitome of mis-management in a salary cap league. No team can afford to hand out the type of contracts we have to players who are never going to live up to them.

Ask Tampa, they had Boyle, Richards, Lecavalier and St Louis but had to get rid of 2, it could be argued that they could have kept 3 big contracts but even then they were tight against the cap.

Boyle >>>>>>>>>>> Redden
St Louis >>>>> Rozsival
Richards >>>> Drury
Lecavalier >>>> Gomez

Our only big money contracts that Sather can hold his head up and be proud of is Henrik at $6.75m and Naslund who i think is producing at a pace that makes his contract worthwhile.

Its not just the amount these guys are making its the length of the contracts, 6yrs we are going to have to watch as Wade Redden plays lacklustre hockey while looking like he doesnt have a care in the world, 6 ****ing yrs, REALLY?

Its gut wrenching to think the best years of Henrik are going to be spent in mediocrity, i see nothing but 1st and 2nd rnd knockouts for the forseeable future with the way the team is currently constructed.

Its hard not to be pessimistic with what we are having to endure. winning record or not the team needs to blown up and the focus of our team needs to centre around seven guys, they are

Lundqvist, Girardi, Staal, Mara, Callahan, Dubinsky and Zherdev

Mara may not be an essential to some but he along with Callahan are the two guys who show night in night out a physical edge that many on this team just dont have.

Henrik is a no brainer, i really fear that if we dont make sweeping changes he may just get to the point where he's had enough, everyone should worry about this, if we can see it then imagine what must go through Hanks head having to play in front of it every night.

Giradi and Staal should demand half of Redden and Rozsivals salary, they are playing like guys who have the experience that our "top 2" dmen have, it defies belief that Staal is only in his 2nd year and does all the little things right, yet a guy like Redden seems to lose his bearings when it comes to situations that are bread and butter to a 2nd year rookie.

Dubinsky is struggling, there is no doubt about that but its his 2nd year so i am willing to give him the time he deserves to mature and find the best way to use the skills he has.

Zherdev is really the only guy i can say gets me excited on our forward line, his vision and stick handling is just a joy to watch, sure he can be sloppy but he has far and away exceeded my expectations so far.

There was a thread before the season began predicting our players stats by the end of the season, i am sure i said 70pts but to be honest i wasnt sure what to expect but now i believe he should be our playmaker on the top line, for me his vision is far better than Gomez and if we had an elite scorer Zherdev's game would go to another level.

All in all there is just to much wrong with this team, we cant upgrade because we are up against the cap and if we do trade we wont get good value for any of our supposed top guys because of the money and length of contracts also if any GM is stupid enough to take these contracts then its likely they'll want a good prospect to sweeten the deal.

What we are watching now is what we are getting for the next 5 yrs AT LEAST.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote