HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/23/08: "No COUNTRY for Old Men" Predators @ Panthers

View Poll Results: Tonights Winner:
predators 4 21.05%
PANTHERS 15 78.95%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2008, 10:28 PM
Booth10

vCash: 500
I thought Horton had a good game. He just has to get his timing a little better.

Frolik is a star!

Ballard is a so much fun to watch.

This team can be really good. Lets get two more Friday.

Old
12-23-2008, 10:56 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
I thought Horton played fine today, he was hitting a lot and really played a solid all-around game. I thought we were amazing tonight! They are playing with such confidence right now, and its really easy to see. Hopefully, they continue this way of play, and get Bouw signed long term!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
He was out there grinding away like the rest of them. Just because he doesn't have noticeable wheels like Booth or Frolik doesn't mean he wasn't putting in effort.

-ghoste
I agree. Horton played a good game. He's looked more and more comfortable each game since coming back from injury. He was throwing the body, backchecking nicely, making nice passes, and yes hustling. He may have waited a bit too long on that opportunity from the slot, but not by much. That's what makes Horton a great goalscorer. He has the patience of Job and it's gotten him a lot of goals. He waits until he can get in the best position he can, then he lets it rip and scores. I think he can find more of a compromise and get the shot off sooner sometimes, but that shot was fine IMO. If I'm not mistaken, Rinne got a glove on that, and that was really the only spot Horton had to shoot at. He's coming along. Idk how anyone can question Horton's effort tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure1096 View Post
should we trade anderson now?
Seriously, lol. But in all honesty, no, we shouldn't trade either, I don't care if we let Andy go as a UFA, playoff teams lose UFAs all the time. I love having two great goalies who are both on top of their games right now and lead the league in shutouts. That's a huge reason for our success in the last month, don't mess with what's working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
Three pages...if I did not catch the game on CI. , I would have guessed we won the game by the lack of posts in the GDT

What were your guys expectations of this team coming into the season at the Christmas break? I would say they are 2-4 wins ahead of my expectations. That trip up here to Canada really helped pass my expectations nearly at the half way point of the season.

I also thought Carolina would have been a little closer to Washington for the division with us battling TB. for third in the division. I said at the beginning of the year ,we'd be around the 8th-10th spot in the East. I did not buy us being in the Tavares sweepstakes at all to start the season...but my mind did sway that way after the first 15-20 games of the season

Trade TiVo now guys? I knew he would come back around . I guess my pat on the shoulder and words of encouragement to him during the pre-game warmups in Calgary has done wonders to his confidence & on-ice game That's the coach in me coming out I guess...
Seriously, maybe it did have an affect on him. Thanks!

Old
12-23-2008, 11:25 PM
handbanana
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

I took a picture of the new billboard tonight, if anyone's curious to see it.

Old
12-23-2008, 11:49 PM
KW

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
THIS is the kinda crap i'm talking about. i'm sorry but this deserves x3. unfreakinbelievable. this should be grounds for an immediate ban. ok, maybe that's a tad tough but... is anybody feeling the frustration with this garbage?

they are different players, atf. you can beat your head against the wall all night long but they are completely different players and sorry, one is not trying harder than the other.
OK, back to the way things used to be: I disagree with you. On the first point, not all that long ago (when the "winning" streak was about 4 wins old) you declared that DeBoer did not deserve credit for turning the team around. Now the coach can do no wrong! Sorry but I can't respect your post game clairvoyance.

On your second response, now you've gone entirely insane. OF COURSE it's ok to compare two different players! What the heck! ATF is "wrong" to compare Frolik and Horton - a rising star versus a falling one. If that isn't ludicrous enough, then you claim Frolik and Horton are trying equally hard. Wow. Smokey much?

Old
12-24-2008, 12:01 AM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
He was out there grinding away like the rest of them. Just because he doesn't have noticeable wheels like Booth or Frolik doesn't mean he wasn't putting in effort.

-ghoste
Everyone was responsible for that shutout, I just don't understand what it has to do about our questioning Horton out there.

You can compare Frolik and Horton, absolutely you can, makes no sense that you can't. Are Ovechkin and Crosby the same type of player? Yet they're always being compared to each other. Just because they're different doesn't mean you can't talk about them. Pelts and Horton are comparable, and there's a very obvious difference in skill. However, I was talking about hustle and drive, not type or skill set.

I'm hard on Horton because I think he can put more into his game. Don't know what's up with him, but he's got more to offer.

12-24-2008, 01:25 AM
PanthersRule96

[MOD EDIT - deleted quoted post and direct reference to it]...when I said Frolik was certainly a big part of our recent (at the time) success. That was when that CPR line was on a hot streak and all overshadowing what Frolik was doing simultaneously. Frolik's play has been incredibly consistent and he's been dangerous ever since he figured out how to play in the NHL. It took him a while but he will not regress from here. He'll stay as good or continue to get better from game to game. Once again tonight he showed why he's going to be our best offensive player, unquestionably and possibly as soon as next year, heck maybe even by the end of this one. We haven't had someone so dynamic and with such a comination of skill who was as exciting to watch as when we had Pavel with the team.
Booth, Horton, and Weiss are all players who are integral to the success of the team but IMO Frolik is as important as any of them, if not more. This isn't just a hot streak for him either. Booth and Horton are streakier players but Frolik is the type of guy who even when he's not producing points will be creating chances. I don't think he picked a point up in the Colorado game but he was certainly one of the best forwards on the ice.

Last edited by Acadmus: 12-24-2008 at 05:45 AM. Reason: qdp
Old
12-24-2008, 01:51 AM
PanthersRule96

Frolik's our most dangerous player on the PP because of both his skating, passing, and shooting ability. He can beat you with any of the three, especially from the half boards. McCabe hasn't been doing much there lately and I don't like Bouw up top on the point. Booth hasn't been as great lately because I think other teams are keying in to his style and trying to stick right on him. He'll find a way to produce soon though, plus he was hurt.
Horton makes about one pretty move a night and he's frustrated right now, undoubtedly. He's struggling offensively but he is trying hard. He's moving his feet, hitting, and trying to play a team game since he isn't having luck with finding the net. It'll come though. Brett McLean scored last game so if he scored you know Horton's bound to get one, and with Horts, once he gets one, he'll get several IMO. He's your prototypical streaky goalscorer. I still like Frolik with Booth and Weiss more than the lines we have going now but Frolik is just so skilled that he's great on center as well. The only thing that Frolik needs to work on is sometimes he tries to be too fine with some passes and can lose the puck on the PP when he's aggressively pressured.

Last edited by Acadmus: 12-24-2008 at 05:45 AM. Reason: qdp
Old
12-24-2008, 04:31 AM
Biggzy*

After watching the game last night.

Zednik had some serious jump. Protects the puck really well.

Ballard is just flat out incredible. I would've traded Jokinen straight up for him if I knew he was this good.

Frolik is looking more and more like the real deal. Thank god.

The whole CPR line played really well.

Stewart once again, useless. Him and Horton should play together on the super **** line.

Old
12-24-2008, 05:35 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
should we trade anderson now?
May I just say, I feel a little vindicated now in my predictions that Vokoun would be pushed by Anderson's success and take every opportunity to win back his title as #1 goalie for the team.

12-24-2008, 06:18 AM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by portal333 View Post

Is that a screen or just a picture?

Old
12-24-2008, 06:52 AM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

PDBs best quotes from the game:

regarding Frolik, "Im a believer!"
on the teams play, "We havent even played our best hockey yet!"

Frolik is absolutely sensational! For years we watch other teams get these young players, see them contribute, and we were stuck with Novoseltsev and Shvidki. Now we have a stud of our own! I love the patience he has with the puck, and his stickhandling is great as well. Im saying it right now...re-sign Bouw, keep the CPR line as our 4th line next season, get Allen back, and add one more top six forward, and this team is contenders next season, especially if they can get that important playoff experience this season.

Old
12-24-2008, 07:17 AM
handbanana
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Is that a screen or just a picture?
Just a pic.

Old
12-24-2008, 07:20 AM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Just a pic.
Did you happen to notice two new screens in the arena anywhere? I read the other day that they were installing two new video screens in the arena, before this homestand.

Old
12-24-2008, 08:09 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
May I just say, I feel a little vindicated now in my predictions that Vokoun would be pushed by Anderson's success and take every opportunity to win back his title as #1 goalie for the team.
I said the exact same thing. It happened last year and Vokoun came back and played his best hockey of the year. If his play continues like this, were even better off then when Anderson was winning all the games for us.

Old
12-24-2008, 08:28 AM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:

Thanks for sharing the pic.

Not as bad as I anticipated, but I wish they hadn't photoshopped the helmet and jersey number.

Old
12-24-2008, 09:46 AM
Rattrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmanfu View Post
Thanks for sharing the pic.

Not as bad as I anticipated, but I wish they hadn't photoshopped the helmet and jersey number.
Why am I not seeing the picture? Maybe my work is blocking the domain it's hosted on.

Old
12-24-2008, 10:03 AM
Rattrick

Vokoun stats before Calgary game (12 days ago)

3.04 GAA, .910 SV%

Vokoun stats now

2.58 GAA, .921 SV%

Old
12-24-2008, 11:04 AM
zeroG

vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
OK, back to the way things used to be: I disagree with you. On the first point, not all that long ago (when the "winning" streak was about 4 wins old) you declared that DeBoer did not deserve credit for turning the team around. Now the coach can do no wrong! Sorry but I can't respect your post game clairvoyance.

On your second response, now you've gone entirely insane. OF COURSE it's ok to compare two different players! What the heck! ATF is "wrong" to compare Frolik and Horton - a rising star versus a falling one. If that isn't ludicrous enough, then you claim Frolik and Horton are trying equally hard. Wow. Smokey much?
well, this referenced a post that race had deleted but i'm glad the text there stayed up (maybe race unconsciously left this reference up? ). anyhow, this is a scarecrow, kw. i never said PDB did not deserve credit. i said he didn't deserve ALL the credit, which is what some posters were giving him. listen to coach when he speaks; he's said the injuries were a blessing, that if they weren't forced to play kids and the grinders, the team wouldn't have been forced to play a simple game. at the same time, we were fortunate that the team was *rewarded* for that simple, hard-nosed approach with some bounces, some goals and wins. these are things that PDB continues to say so if you want to argue with someone, i'd suggest you argue with him. i think he's done a fantastic job and deserves a ton of credit but if step back and look at the circumstances, you have to concede that there were other factors.

regarding my original point, one that i was given an infraction for losing it over last night - yes, i think it's absolutely silly to come here and suggest, without showing you've considered the circumstances, slightly bigger picture or really big picture, that you know better than coach. i think that's a ridiculous point of view. i'm not now saying and have never said that coach can do no wrong. somehow folks are missing this. i'm saying that posts that do not even attempt to consider the things i mentioned above are useless. i'm not disagreeing necessarily with the original poster, just his method. more specifically, was frolik on the ice just before the penalty? perhaps he needed a breather? maybe he had been double-shifted just before the penalty and hadn't recovered. maybe PDB knows that frolik is already going and wants to give horton some PP time to get him some points/confidence. i don't know what the answer is but clearly, coach knows a thing or two about how to manage his bench/room so ... i don't know, coming here and saying this or that is bad coaching without considering what coach was dealing with or trying to accomplish is... bad posting. this seems so obvious. does nobody agree? i'll shut up about it but i'd be absolutely shocked if nobody agreed.

about comparing players... you can do anything you want. there's a thread on the main board about whether malkin's better than ovechkin, comparing the two. some folks have, imo, rightly pointed out that the two players bring different things to the table. it's fun to compare, sure. judging effort by comparing how fast two different guys skate, guys who play completely different styles, different roles, is not instructional. has anyone watched crosby? has anyone noticed that he coasts? a lot. how about jagr? before you go off the deep end, i'm not putting horton in their class. not at all. i'm just saying if you look at someone like jagr and ... booth side by side, would you come to the same conclusion? that jagr's simply not trying? idk - some people (nyr/pitt fans) would, esp when frustrated with him. that, to me, though, is the not a productive or informative means of comparison. it's apples and oranges. that's all i'm saying. comparing something more specific about two players, their hands, speed, quickness, or something like sure. looking at two different styles and judging effort... doesn't work, imo.

Old
12-24-2008, 11:29 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post

Ballard is just flat out incredible. I would've traded Jokinen straight up for him if I knew he was this good.

Stewart once again, useless. Him and Horton should play together on the super **** line.
if by useless you mean he went out and played his half-dozen or shifts the way he has to - physically, responsibly, regardless of offense, then yeah, i agree

Old
12-24-2008, 11:47 AM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post

What're you talking about Biggz? How was he useless? He came and did what was expected of him and didn't hurt the team at all. His line helped keep the puck in the zone and helped with energy. How's that useless? Sorry man, that's just unjustifiable. Detroit has some great role players that matter greatly to that team's success that, judging by your analysis of both Pelts and Stewart, you'd likely deem as being "uselss." You have to look at the overall picture man.

Old
12-24-2008, 11:57 AM
Bure1096

Send a message via AIM to Bure1096
Quote:
haha that is the point. He's playing very well and the team is actually playing well in front of him. Anyone who decided to start trade talks about vokoun... might want to rethink their position.

Old
12-24-2008, 01:21 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
haha that is the point. He's playing very well and the team is actually playing well in front of him. Anyone who decided to start trade talks about vokoun... might want to rethink their position.
I know, but it seemed like the couple of times I suggested it, someone was dismissing the thought.

Old
12-24-2008, 01:28 PM
zeroG

Quote:
I know, but it seemed like the couple of times I suggested it, someone was dismissing the thought.
someone in particular? i remember more than half the board on the andywagon.

i didn't doubt vokoun would come back strong. i AM a little surprised at how quickly he's turned the tables. when you see the interviews with the players, they're tap-dancing around the issue of goaltending now, though it seems like it's all OK, that both guys are handling the competition well (as is the team and coaching staff).

Old
12-24-2008, 01:36 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
someone in particular? i remember more than half the board on the andywagon.
Don't know if it was one or two - I tend to not pay too much mind to who says what (unless it's something I have to put on the mod hat for ).

Old
12-24-2008, 05:48 PM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
Quote:
Don't know if it was one or two - I tend to not pay too much mind to who says what (unless it's something I have to put on the mod hat for ).
The thought of trading Tivo? I thought it was completely ridiculous all along.

Closed Thread