HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Chris Phillips

Old
12-23-2008, 11:42 AM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
Chris Phillips

Top defensive d-man, good for about 20 points a year, on a very good contract.
What would you give for him?

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 11:47 AM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

vCash: 500
colin white??

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Nilsson,Grebeshkov,2nd 09 for Phillips,Vermette

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 11:52 AM
BigEyedPhish

He has a NTC..

But for some teams would DEFINITELY love him if we become sellers at the deadline.

List of Teams I think that would more than love to have Big Rig..

Pittsburgh (Pitt could really use a D-man like Phillips)
Chicago
San Jose
Dallas
and a few others..

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 11:56 AM
wej20

dont think Pens would go after him, we have 9 NHL defenseman as it is when all healthy.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 12:55 PM
BringBackStevens

Would a combination of Joffrey Lupul, and Randy Jones be a good starting point? I read that a puck moving defensemen and secondary scoring are big needs for the Senators.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 01:01 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Van Ryn and Stempniak

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 01:03 PM
Kamina
Amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilGagner89 View Post
Nilsson,Grebeshkov,2nd 09 for Phillips,Vermette
I'll just think you're not serious and not comment.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 01:04 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
dont think Pens would go after him, we have 9 NHL defenseman as it is when all healthy.
He's better than everyone except Gonchar...... His contract is pretty good too. Chicago could use him too, but so many teams are in cap trouble.

Chicago defense with him [if they want to go far]:
Seabrook-Keith
Phillips-Campbell
Barker-Sopel
Walker

That is some depth.

Pittsburgh:
Gonchar-Orpik
Phillips-Whitney
Boucher-Scuderi
Gill, Letang, Eaton and Goligoski....That's way too many defensemen, though.

I don't want Phillips to be traded, though......

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 01:13 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11_THEBEST! View Post
He won't be traded. Neither will Volchenkov. The only D-men who should be buying luggage are Schubert and Smith... and even then, Smith sticks around until Murray mans-up and realizes the horrible mistake he has made.

trentmccleary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 01:50 PM
Gags1288

Phillips is exactly the type of player the Flyers could use right now. I'd move Lupul and a top prospect for him and/or a high pick.

Gags1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 01:58 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11_THEBEST! View Post
He's better than everyone except Gonchar...... His contract is pretty good too. Chicago could use him too, but so many teams are in cap trouble.

Chicago defense with him [if they want to go far]:
Seabrook-Keith
Phillips-Campbell
Barker-Sopel
Walker

That is some depth.

Pittsburgh:
Gonchar-Orpik
Phillips-Whitney
Boucher-Scuderi
Gill, Letang, Eaton and Goligoski....That's way too many defensemen, though.

All true but are weakness is scoring wingers not Defenseman.

Old
12-23-2008, 02:04 PM
JAVO16

The Canadiens really need a good defenseman. What do you think it would cost them ?

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 02:20 PM
Zim

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO Ouragan16 View Post
The Canadiens really need a good defenseman. What do you think it would cost them ?
I'm not particularly familiar with Ottawa's needs but from the outside looking in it appears to be secondary scoring so something based around Higgins would seem to make sense.

Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 02:26 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadSen View Post
I'll just think you're not serious and not comment.
wow really than your just overrating Phillips big time Nilsson and Grebeshkov for Phillips is a fine deal and 2nd for Vermette is what Vermette is worth right now. Icant see how Phillips could take more than Nilsson and Greb. Seems like a great package to me. It gives you guys more depth on offense and yes Grebeshkov isnt as solid as Phillips but he is a great two way defenceman. I think Ottawa could use a good puck moving defenceman i cant really think of any they have other than Kuba and maybe Volchenkov.

Old
12-23-2008, 02:29 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
From what I've read on HF, apparently every team in the league has 9 NHL defensemen when healthy. We really need a few more teams for all these NHL ready defensemen to play on.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 02:39 PM
Kamina
Amok

Quote:
wow really than your just overrating Phillips big time Nilsson and Grebeshkov for Phillips is a fine deal and 2nd for Vermette is what Vermette is worth right now. Icant see how Phillips could take more than Nilsson and Greb. Seems like a great package to me. It gives you guys more depth on offense and yes Grebeshkov isnt as solid as Phillips but he is a great two way defenceman. I think Ottawa could use a good puck moving defenceman i cant really think of any they have other than Kuba and maybe Volchenkov.
Nilsson is performing just as bad as Vermette is, and Phillips is worth more than Grebeshkov. Vermette's also a much better two-way player than Nilsson is and is getting his finish back.

Phillips is a top 5 defensive defenseman in the league. He's arguably worth that entire package or more, and you add Vermette in.

Old
12-23-2008, 03:01 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHomelessAteMyCat View Post
From what I've read on HF, apparently every team in the league has 9 NHL defensemen when healthy. We really need a few more teams for all these NHL ready defensemen to play on.
Gonchar
Whitney
Orpik
Letang
Goligoski
Gill
Scuderi
Boucher
Eaton
Lovejoy but he is a decent healthy scratch.

All of those are NHL Defenseman.

Old
12-23-2008, 03:10 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadSen View Post
Nilsson is performing just as bad as Vermette is, and Phillips is worth more than Grebeshkov. Vermette's also a much better two-way player than Nilsson is and is getting his finish back.

Phillips is a top 5 defensive defenseman in the league. He's arguably worth that entire package or more, and you add Vermette in.
no Vermette is not worth Nilsson. Nilsson has lots of potential hes not good defensively but he has a great talent. Right now the only good thing about Vermette is his faceoffs. And Vermette is not a great defensive player either. Yes Phillips is good defensively but dont you guys have enough defensive players? Volchenkov,Smith,Bell,Phillips. Grebeshkov is a two way player he would fill in the spot of Phillips.. definetly not replace him but fill that spot in and he will give you some offence too. plus the draft is going to be deep this year , the 2nd could get you a good pick.

Old
12-23-2008, 03:21 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
no Vermette is not worth Nilsson. Nilsson has lots of potential hes not good defensively but he has a great talent. Right now the only good thing about Vermette is his faceoffs. And Vermette is not a great defensive player either. Yes Phillips is good defensively but dont you guys have enough defensive players? Volchenkov,Smith,Bell,Phillips. Grebeshkov is a two way player he would fill in the spot of Phillips.. definetly not replace him but fill that spot in and he will give you some offence too. plus the draft is going to be deep this year , the 2nd could get you a good pick.
Vermette is good defensively and is disappointing offensively only slightly more than our entire team right now... so some of us are actually trying to consider a players value based on his entire career instead of just this season in which virtually everybody is producing much less than we should have expected.

Bell is an offensive D-man, so is Brian Lee and Picard and to some extent Schubert. All are young, have very little experience on D at the NHL level... and our only experienced offensive D-man right now; Kuba, is a UFA this summer. So no thank you to Grebeshkov. We need somebody with experience, somebody who could lead the offense, somebody who can grow a beard.

trentmccleary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 03:35 PM
The Flower
Feel Aflie's Wrath!

Quote:
I don't know, I disagree with a few things here. First off, Vermette is a stellar defensive player. He has been a mainstay on the Sens PK unit for the past few years (which is ranked in the top 5) and whether it was Murray, Paddock, or Hartsburg behind the bench, all 3 coaches have thrown Vermette on the ice to protect a lead late in the game. Can't really argue with that considering that the Sens have been regular season juggernaut the 5-6 years (this year aside)??

As far as Nielson is concerned, I agree that he's talented and has lots of offensive upside (must be, he was a 15 OV pick in '03), but what frightens me is comments made by C-Mac about his lack of effort on a nightly basis. Wasn't he just a healthy scratch recently because of this? For all of Vermette's shortcomings this year (can't put the biscuit in the basket), he's always skating hard and putting forth a solid effort on a nightly basis. At this stage, I'd much rather have that in a player...plus I don't think that Nilsson's offensive prowess exceeds that of Vermettes to the degree that you do. Agree to disagree I guess.

The Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 03:56 PM
Kamina
Amok

Quote:

Old
12-23-2008, 03:59 PM
BigEyedPhish

Quote:
So a proven NHLer, with a 53 point season, scored 24 goals before. Is one of the best PK/Face off guys in the league is only worth a 2nd round, You know the Second round where only probably 40% actually play in the NHL...

LOL!

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 05:14 PM
oilsands
NHL Supertar

I would trade
Grebeshkov + Nilsson straight up for Phillips

Seems to address both team needs.
Grebs a top 4 offensive D man, and Nilsson a 2nd line creative player.

What is wrong with this deal?

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 06:32 PM
Lunatik*

I would love to get Phillips on the Flames... Can you imagine him and Regehr on the PK or Phillips taking a regular shift with Dion?

if the Sens are out of the playoffs and dealing Phillips I would assume they are in selling mode... so perhaps an offer like this could get the ball rolling?...

to Calgary:
D - Chris Phillips (3.5m, 2 more years)

to Ottawa:
D - Jim Vandermeer (2.3m, 2 more years)
2 Prospects: 1 of Leland Irving or Matt Keetley and 1 of Ryan Wilson, Matt Pelech, Kris Chucko or Kyle Greentree... or no prospects and take our next 2nd and 3rd round picks
F - Wayne Primeau (1.4m, 1 more year) - salary dump

basically the Flames would add another very good shutdown defenseman and the Senators would add a younger physical defenseman, an energy/checking line forward that can play all 3 forward positions... and either 2 prospects or 2 picks

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote