HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who Do You Keep???

Old
12-22-2008, 09:30 AM
Bruin72

vCash: 500
Who Do You Keep???

With both Alexi Kovalev and Saku Koivu becoming unrestricted free agents next season and you only could keep one of them who would it be?

Bruin72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 09:32 AM
Haddock

Saku and it's not even close.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 09:36 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Both 3 year deals at 3.5 each would be great

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 09:37 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Saku.

If the young offensive players are not ready to carry this team on their own then they are useless. It's Andrei Kostitsyn's team next year (in terms of offence).

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 09:38 AM
Bruin72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
Saku and it's not even close.
I agree with you too I actually think if Kovalev keeps up with his inconcisistent play he'll probably end up in Europe next season

Bruin72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 09:39 AM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin72 View Post
I agree with you too I actually think if Kovalev keeps up with his inconcisistent play he'll probably end up in Europe next season
Are you kidding me?

Kovalev has been a great player all season. Just because you are not scoring doesn't mean you are not playing well. Last night was probably his most invisible game all year. Otherwise he has been very good for us, just not scoring.

But I would keep Koivu over just about anyone on the team.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 09:39 AM
Judge Sauer*

As much as I love having kovy on this team, if I were to choose only one, I go with saku. it doesn't hurt that he's my favourite player in the league as well.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 09:40 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

In my opinion the question is more about Tanguay vs Kovalev.

I keep Tanguay. He'll not win as many game all by himself as Kovalev can, but he's not going to hurt you either...

Kovalev's points are on the power play. Tanguay helps our transition game and our 5 on 5 play more than Kovalev does.

Koivu is here to stay. Lang is a question mark, but I wouldn't mind him for another year or two for about 3,5M. He's been great for us so far.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 09:42 AM
Haddock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimminsTheStorm View Post
In my opinion the question is more about Tanguay vs Kovalev.

I keep Tanguay. He'll not win as many game all by himself as Kovalev can, but he's not going to hurt you either...

Kovalev's points are on the power play. Tanguay helps our transition game and our 5 on 5 play more than Kovalev does.

Koivu is here to stay. Lang is a question mark, but I wouldn't mind him for another year or two for about 3,5M. He's been great for us so far.
Agreed. Kovalev will be overpaid for a few seasons and it won't be in Montréal (I hope). Tanguay is a better option and I don't think he'll ask for the moon like Kovy probably will. What do I base this on? Nothing. This is a hockey message board, cut me some slack!

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 09:44 AM
Andy

Saku, not even close.

For some reason I feel that Kovalev holds us back. I just have this feeling that if we would actually get a star winger ala Kovalchuck one day, Kovalev would sulk and just coast because the spot light is no longer on him.

Also I feel he holds us back too much because we are always looking to give him the puck, but Kovalev is not a game breaker like Ovi, Crosby, Malkin or Alfie, so it ends up leading to nothing.

I feel as though the habs won't progress so long as they have Kovalev on the team and I don't even hate the guy, I actually like him, but he holds us back.

but this is all opinion, I have no proof.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
Agreed. Kovalev will be overpaid for a few seasons and it won't be in Montréal (I hope). Tanguay is a better option and I don't think he'll ask for the moon like Kovy probably will. What do I base this on? Nothing. Just a feeling.
Depending on how well we do, I think they'll ask for decent contracts. If we win the Cup, I could see Kovalev and Tanguay staying on a one year deal for a discount to see if we can repeat, then looking into a long term deal. I also think Kovalev really has two options: Here or New York, and New York certainly can't fit him, he'll just stay a Hab and take a paycut.

Old
PKtrollban
PK for Norris

I would sign Koivu, Kovalev and Tanguay. Just saying this because I don't want the organisation to waste young talents (like they did with Latendresse), ie Max Pac, if he's not NHL ready. At the moment, I don't see how we can replace those three players. The Kost bros are far from being as good as those players, nor any other young guns.

Hopefully, they sign for 3.5 or less (I'm probably dreaming).

PKtrollban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 09:52 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Depending on how well we do, I think they'll ask for decent contracts. If we win the Cup, I could see Kovalev and Tanguay staying on a one year deal for a discount to see if we can repeat, then looking into a long term deal. I also think Kovalev really has two options: Here or New York, and New York certainly can't fit him, he'll just stay a Hab and take a paycut.
The miracle cup of 2009?

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Iwishihadacup

I would sign Koivu and Tanguay

And next year our forwards would look like

Center:
Koivu
Plekanec
Lapierre
Chipchura

wingers:

Tanguay
Sergei K
Andrei K
Higgins
Latendresse
D'agostini
Kostopoulos
Laraque
Stewart

we would have 13 forwards maybe 14 with Begin if he re-sign

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Saku, not even close.

For some reason I feel that Kovalev holds us back. I just have this feeling that if we would actually get a star winger ala Kovalchuck one day, Kovalev would sulk and just coast because the spot light is no longer on him.

Also I feel he holds us back too much because we are always looking to give him the puck, but Kovalev is not a game breaker like Ovi, Crosby, Malkin or Alfie, so it ends up leading to nothing.

I feel as though the habs won't progress so long as they have Kovalev on the team and I don't even hate the guy, I actually like him, but he holds us back.

but this is all opinion, I have no proof.
He has always maintained that he wants to be the "go to" guy. That was why he didn't play so well in NY during his second stint and was probably why he didn't do so well early in the year when we were rolling four lines consistently. If the Habs are to move forward as a team, then Kovy needs to accept a new role or move on. At a reduced rate, I'd resign him in a minute though. Not going to happen though.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 10:04 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Koivu. We need depth at center, Lang will be gone, so keeping koivu is ideal. On top of which, it's koivu! Our captain. i want him to retire a hab. Kovalev, is inconsistent and well, great as he can be, it's tough to stress consistent efforts from your team when your top offensive player is inconsistent. He's not getting any younger either. As someone said, it's more of tanguay vs kovalev and for me it's tanguay. He's younger so it's easier to gauge where he'll be in 2-3 years if you sign him. Less risky, not to mention, he's still a good player.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 10:06 AM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylife View Post
The miracle cup of 2009?
The fact that Montreal loses to crappy teams yet convincingly beats good teams and will likely end out in a spot like 4th or 5th, meaning they'll be playing the top teams in the East throughout the playoffs, gives me a lot more comfort. We play hard when we need to play hard. Isn't that the sign of a playoff team?

Old
12-22-2008, 10:13 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

I'd sign Koivu in a heartbeat.

The question, I think, will be 2 of Lang, Kovalev, and Tanguay.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 10:16 AM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

I can't see Lang resigning, especially at his age and how many others have more priority than him (he won't get the $$ he'd want IMO)

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 10:17 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
I can't see Lang resigning, especially at his age and how many others have more priority than him (he won't get the $$ he'd want IMO)
If you ask me, I'd keep both Lang and Tanguay. Nothing against Kovalev, but I actually think this team may need to let him go to let the younger players take the next step.

Old
12-22-2008, 10:23 AM
theboss*

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Saku.

If the young offensive players are not ready to carry this team on their own then they are useless. It's Andrei Kostitsyn's team next year (in terms of offence).
I can't wait to see that

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 10:25 AM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimminsTheStorm View Post
If you ask me, I'd keep both Lang and Tanguay. Nothing against Kovalev, but I actually think this team may need to let him go to let the younger players take the next step.
Yes, but Lang as the third line centre kind of puts him in the way of Kyle Chipchura, doesn't it? Depending on what other changes occur, Lang might stick...but I find it unlikely.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 10:28 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
Yes, but Lang as the third line centre kind of puts him in the way of Kyle Chipchura, doesn't it? Depending on what other changes occur, Lang might stick...but I find it unlikely.
The more I think about it, the more I think Chipper should be converted as a winger. It's where his future is with the Habs in my opinion. He'd be perfect on a line with Lapierre, as the other one is speedy enough to create things. Plus Chipper has some difficulties on faceoffs.

Old
12-22-2008, 10:28 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

I think just tanguay and perhaps a UFA signing instead of two guys past their prime.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 10:30 AM
smon

Yes, Gainey will definitely keep Koivu. Kovalev, Lang, Tanguay are all questionable. If Tanguay is willing to play nice and take less money (he's not the 80pt man anymore) then he might definitely stay too. Kovalev, I don't know, stranger things have happened but I find it really unlikely. Ditto for Lang, barring a significant paycut.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote