HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Markkanen, Nedved to Edmonton

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2004, 05:05 PM
Theoren Fan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
Markkanen, Nedved to Edmonton

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...303_175506_656

Petr Nedved and Jussi Markkanen dealt to Edmonton for Dwight Helminen, a second round selection in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft and goaltender Stephen Valiquette

Last edited by Theoren Fan: 03-03-2004 at 05:12 PM.
Old
03-03-2004, 05:10 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

wow another 2nd round pick and a decent prospect. pretty good job by sather so far

Old
03-03-2004, 05:15 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Love it. Keep it coming. We couldn't convince the Oil to take Hlavac so they could reunite the Czechmates?

03-03-2004, 05:24 PM
Edge

all these second round picks convinces me of something heard about a week ago from an associate.

Sather is gonna try and make a big move on draft day.

Old
03-03-2004, 05:26 PM
nordique

vCash:
Helminen was an 8th round pick only a year ago...is he really *that* good a prospect?

We're talking Stajan or Colaiacovo for Leetch and Nedved and Markkanen go for Helminen and a 2nd?

Old
03-03-2004, 05:29 PM
Edge

no one said Stajan.

and nothing against Markanen and Nedved but they aren't the difference maker leetch would be for a team and they certainly arent as rare a commodity as leetch.

most people would be willing to go with a first and and a prospect for leetch but you guys dont wanna trade a first.

we'd also accept cova and a package.

but you guys seem to wanna trade bell and a third for leetch.

Old
03-03-2004, 05:34 PM
nyr5186

Another 2nd rounder is good, but couldnt we get anything better than a recent 8th round pick? According to the Oilers page, I could list 14 prospects that are better than Helminen. I mean its not like Nedved and Jussi are garbage. Nedved has top notch talent and Jussi is a very servicible backup. We should've gotten more than a 'C' prospect and a 2nd rounder. OTOH, maybe this means we'll finally get to see Labarbera get called up and given some starts. The kid deserves it.

Old
03-03-2004, 06:06 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Face it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr4life5186
Another 2nd rounder is good, but couldnt we get anything better than a recent 8th round pick? According to the Oilers page, I could list 14 prospects that are better than Helminen. I mean its not like Nedved and Jussi are garbage. Nedved has top notch talent and Jussi is a very servicible backup. We should've gotten more than a 'C' prospect and a 2nd rounder. OTOH, maybe this means we'll finally get to see Labarbera get called up and given some starts. The kid deserves it.
Nedved's been inconsistent and makes $4.5 million - he's not good enough to be a #1 on most teams anymore and he's too expensive to be a # 2. I've been a Nedved fan, but, this deal falls in line with previous deals - Sullivan, Bondra, Zhamnov, even Kovalev - none of them pulled in a # 1 pick. As for the kid being ranked 15th on the Edmonton site...well, Edmonton ranks 3rd overall - the Rangers are 29th. Markanen was a throw in so the Rangers could bring up Labarbera. So far, Nedved and Kovalev are off the list and two prospects and two #2 picks are on. So far, so good!!

Old
03-03-2004, 06:10 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
have you watched nedved play this year? come on this is a good trade because the rangers are getting youth and draft picks back! what more do you want for nedved?

Old
03-03-2004, 06:14 PM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
What's the quick word on Stephen Valiquette? Is he a player (could amount to something) or just a throw in for the trade

Old
03-03-2004, 06:17 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
Nedved's been inconsistent and makes $4.5 million - he's not good enough to be a #1 on most teams anymore and he's too expensive to be a # 2. I've been a Nedved fan, but, this deal falls in line with previous deals - Sullivan, Bondra, Zhamnov, even Kovalev - none of them pulled in a # 1 pick. As for the kid being ranked 15th on the Edmonton site...well, Edmonton ranks 3rd overall - the Rangers are 29th. Markanen was a throw in so the Rangers could bring up Labarbera. So far, Nedved and Kovalev are off the list and two prospects and two #2 picks are on. So far, so good!!
jas is right
sather did a good job with this one for the most part, helminen sounds like he could be a mike york type player who has good hands and wheels but lack size and strength, the 2nd ill take it, we have three 2nd round picks, we can clearly move up and get an extra 1st or maybe make a push for a top 3 pick depending on where we finish with 4 picks in the first 2 rounds

i am disappointed by the markkanen for voliquette part of the deal because i like markky but this means a few things
1) sather is leaving a spot for blackie or lundqvist to win a job next season
2) sather will go out and acquire a goalie at the deadline or over the summer? who i dont know, maybe even salo but i assume we should have included him in a deal today

the bad news, clearly a move today shows sather is not going to get fired this summer, he isnt just unloading ufa's he is re-stocking and making room w/ the pro-team for who he wants to bring in for next year

Old
03-03-2004, 06:21 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Fan
What's the quick word on Stephen Valiquette? Is he a player (could amount to something) or just a throw in for the trade
valiquette played with the trenton minor league team and isnt even listed with the oilers notable prospects... he looks like a throw that may have nhl back-up potential at most

i think labarbera is going to get some nhl time, he deserves it and its to see what he has

Old
03-03-2004, 06:22 PM
ddheyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon
the bad news, clearly a move today shows sather is not going to get fired this summer, he isnt just unloading ufa's he is re-stocking and making room w/ the pro-team for who he wants to bring in for next year
Not sure about that ... if I was Dolan, I'd tell Sather to get the best he can for the deadwood, try and get picks and restock ... if I decide to fire him after the season is over, that is my business.

I know, Dolan will never fire him, but IF I was Dolan, I don't believe you can make that change a week before the trading deadline, instead tell Sather to do what you want and then decide after the trading deadline.

Just my opinion.

Old
03-03-2004, 06:28 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

Quote:

Guys don't get so caught up on the fact that we are getting a former 8th round draft choice, don't forget there's many good/great NHL players that were drafted in the later rounds (York - 6th, Zubov - 5th, Zetterberg 7th, Zednik - 10th, Demitra - 9th) This guy has "good potential", he's big and he is young.
4 picks in the top two rounds......more to follow.

Old
03-03-2004, 06:30 PM
Larry Melnyk

I'm gonna give Sather another thumbs up on this deal..Not that same value as the Kovalev deal but still decent...ALl he dumped was a back-up goalie (dime a dozen) and a floating turd that was never coming back and in return got a decent 2nd rounder and a decent prospect...Don't underestimate this UM kid...He's got skills, speed, hear, and is a good PK...Like WOlverines before him (like Ortmeyer) he may indeed surprise and perfrom better then you think..Even if he doesn't, he's probably in our Top 10-12 prospect list instantly...

EDGE - I know what you are getting at, but Sather may not even have to make a move. If we keep loosing and finish in the bottom 5, somehow I think the NHL will rig it so we get Ovechkin.....But just in case, these 2nd rounders are good ammo..

Old
03-03-2004, 06:40 PM
nyr5186

Dont get me wrong. Trading guys like Kovalev, Nedved, Rucinsky, etc. for prospects/picks is what we should be doing. In that sense, they're going in the right direction. I just feel we could've gotten a little more for Nedved and Jussi than a 2nd and a so-so prospect (at best). But I'll say this, if this kid Helminen turns out to be another Ortmeyer, I'll be happy.

Old
03-03-2004, 06:41 PM
creative giant*

Here's the link to a story Guy Flaming did on Dwight Helminen.. gives you some info on the guy.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...readed&order=0

Old
03-03-2004, 06:41 PM
Janerixon

i asked oiler fans what they think about valiquette, heres what they said so far, sounds as if a possible back-up good ahler... almost sounds alot like labarbera

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=58102

Old
03-03-2004, 06:46 PM
Muckalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon
i asked oiler fans what they think about valiquette, heres what they said so far, sounds as if a possible back-up good ahler... almost sounds alot like labarbera

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=58102

I would never trust a former Icelanders netminder.

Old
03-03-2004, 06:47 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

perhaps the rangers want to have the two worst goalies in the nhl for the rest of the season?

top pick here we come

Old
03-03-2004, 06:48 PM
Barnaby

1. Wasn't Valiquette the Isle's old AHL goalie?

2. For that poster who said this prospect is a big young kid - he's 5'9 and his biggest knock is strength so thats out the window

Old
03-03-2004, 06:52 PM
L.I.RangerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMenace
Here's the link to a story Guy Flaming did on Dwight Helminen.. gives you some info on the guy.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...readed&order=0

Here are some quotes taken from the article

This kid is a heck of an individual; he has tremendous character, beamed Oiler scout Bob Mancini who was once a coach for USA Hockey. Were not supposed to have favorites when we coach but he was one of mine.

Hes probably the best penalty killer in college hockey, hes a danger every time hes on the ice, and hes the type of centermen that a lot of players are going to want to play with.

He is small, but hes fast and he doesnt get hit a lot, reasoned McCarthy. Hes got really good offensive skills, he sees the ice well, hes got incredible hockey sense, and he doesnt put himself in bad positions. Theres always room in the league for guys who can skate and think who are also his size.

Seems like this kid could be a Ortmeyer PK partner for years to come!!

What I am starting to see with these trades is that Sather is trying to get character guys, like Ortmeyer who work hard and are quick. Michigan is also notorious for producing NHL players. Also Helminen was 5'9 175 when drafted, he is now listed at 6' 200lbs.

Old
03-03-2004, 07:04 PM
Sicilian

lost in all these talks is the fact that we've shaved about $10 million off our payroll, which feels nice no matter what the return, AND we've brought back picks and prospects. plus, cutting out a RW and a C means that we have roster holes that we can fill with youth. i just hope this isn't a tease and we don't see the rangers then ship both of their new prospects out for igor larionov. although he would bring us leadership for our playoff run! :p

Old
03-03-2004, 07:17 PM
Funkymoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.I.RangerFan
Also Helminen was 5'9 175 when drafted, he is now listed at 6' 200lbs.
well, that information is wrong. He's still small. I've watched him for the past three years (UM season ticket holder), though, and I'm a big Oilers fan and I'm crushed he got traded.

Dwight's blazingly fast and has a wicked wrist shot on top of all his defensive abilities... he's really a top notch checker and PK guy. I think he's going to be an NHLer. Todd Marchant who scores 20 goals a year. Probably a third line center when all is said and done but a really good one.

Old
03-03-2004, 07:20 PM
Seachd

Yeah, Michigan's site has him at 5'10" 190 lbs.

Closed Thread