HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Callahan: Can we Ask for a better 3rd Liner?

Old
12-23-2008, 07:24 PM
hlundqvist30*

vCash: 500
Ryan Callahan: Can we Ask for a better 3rd Liner?

Yes I know, how convenient for me to bring this up tonight. However, I've been thinking about this the last week or so, and it's becoming very apparent that Ryan Callahan is blossoming into an amazing two-way forward. He is clearly a solid defensive player, brings great energy, but also contributes on the score sheet. Maybe not in the prettiest of ways, but our best player in front of the net is not Chris Drury, not Aaron Voros, but all 5'11 of Ryan Callahan. The guy is on pace for 25 goals this year, and while he might not hit that mark I think it's fairly certain he will reach the 20 goal mark. I remember a thread in the prospects forum maybe a year ago where a few Rangers posters saw Callahan as a potential 30 goal scorer. No, he's not going to be the go-to guy on the powerplay and he isn't going to deke 3 defenders, but I think Ryan Callahan can bring 20-25 goals consistantly over his career. "A great energy guy" and "he works hard" are words constantly applied to players like Prucha, which translates to "he doesn't bring full package." I also see those as the first terms used to describe Callahan, which I don't think is fair to him at all. The guy is as good of a 3rd liner as you can ask for and is only 23 years old. His jersey isn't going to be retired but let's not group him with the likes of "depth players," as he is much better than that. The guy can simply play.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Yes I know, how convenient for me to bring this up tonight. However, I've been thinking about this the last week or so, and it's becoming very apparent that Ryan Callahan is blossoming into an amazing two-way forward. He is clearly a solid defensive player, brings great energy, but also contributes on the score sheet. Maybe not in the prettiest of ways, but our best player in front of the net is not Chris Drury, not Aaron Voros, but all 5'11 of Ryan Callahan. The guy is on pace for 25 goals this year, and while he might not hit that mark I think it's fairly certain he will reach the 20 goal mark. I remember a thread in the prospects forum maybe a year ago where a few Rangers posters saw Callahan as a potential 30 goal scorer. No, he's not going to be the go-to guy on the powerplay and he isn't going to deke 3 defenders, but I think Ryan Callahan can bring 20-25 goals consistantly over his career. "A great energy guy" and "he works hard" are words constantly applied to players like Prucha, which translates to "he doesn't bring full package." I also see those as the first terms used to describe Callahan, which I don't think is fair to him at all. The guy is as good of a 3rd liner as you can ask for and is only 23 years old. His jersey isn't going to be retired but let's not group him with the likes of "depth players," as he is much better than that. The guy can simply play.
I liked him last year as an energy player. I think line chemistry is why he is doing so well this year. (He has also gotten much better).

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 07:38 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

I see him as a lesser-skilled Dustin Brown. Hits, puts in the garbage, and can score some pretty goals, too.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 07:42 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
I see him as a lesser-skilled Dustin Brown. Hits, puts in the garbage, and can score some pretty goals, too.
Brown can hit like a tank...I dont see Callahan hitting that hard...he hits, but nowhere near as hard.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 07:43 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
I can see that. If only Cally was 2 or 3 inches taller and 20-25 lbs heavier, he'd be gold.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 08:00 PM
Loffen
Hadouken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Brown can hit like a tank...I dont see Callahan hitting that hard...he hits, but nowhere near as hard.
This.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 08:01 PM
Anderson

I have loved him since he started. Kind of reminds me of a Draper type player.

And there have been so many games where he was one of the only skaters showing heart while the rest of the team took the night off.

Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 08:05 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Great 3rd line winger. GOD is an abuse of hyberbole. I can think of other players I'd rather have as my 3rd line winger though but since he's home grown and actually on our team, glad to have him.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 08:16 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Yeah, he's as good as third liners can be. Matteau was on our second line when we won the Cup, and I'd say that Cally is already better than Matteau was at the time.

Quote:

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 08:18 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
I can see that. If only Cally was 2 or 3 inches taller and 20-25 lbs heavier, he'd be gold.

Yeah, but then what are the odds we'd have had him? He definitely would not have lasted into the 4th round. Had he been 6-2, Callahan would've gone in the first or early second round.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 09:30 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

He's been very underrated by a lot on this board for 2 years (not all, but a lot).

Nice to see him proving so many wrong who said he's put at maybe 10-15 a season in his prime.

The way he's playing he will be a very nice 3rd line center averaging about 20 goals a season and getting PP which he definitely deserves.

He will definitely have a letter on his jersey in a few years.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 10:12 PM
storm fan

not center plays wing
If the rest of the team played tonight like he played, we would have won

storm fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 10:18 PM
Block More Shots

He's been great for us, but no hockey god

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 10:20 PM
nyr7andcounting

Quote:
"A great energy guy" and "he works hard" are words constantly applied to players like Prucha, which translates to "he doesn't bring full package." I also see those as the first terms used to describe Callahan, which I don't think is fair to him at all. The guy is as good of a 3rd liner as you can ask for and is only 23 years old. His jersey isn't going to be retired but let's not group him with the likes of "depth players," as he is much better than that. The guy can simply play.
You're saying that Callahan shouldn't be compared to Prucha, and that he's great for being only 23 years old... let's not forget that Prucha scored 30 goals and 47 points in only 68 games in the season he was 23. If you think Callahan is a god now, I can't imagine what you thought of Prucha when he was 23.

Callahan has a long way to go. To be honest I thought Callahan sucked for most of this season. Between last year and early this year I didn't think he was nearly as good as his late season stint in 06-07. He hustles and hits, but he's been pretty bad on the puck. He's not much of a passer, and I feel like 90% of the time he gets the puck he goes straight down the right side and ends up getting a bad angle shot blocked or turning the puck over in the corner. But I have to admit he's played well the last couple of games.

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 10:23 PM
ThirdEye

The only player that has surprised me in a positive way to this point in the season. And maybe Naslund, although he hasn't really been better than he was with the Canucks last season

EDIT: Also Zherdev, but I expected him to be good coming from West.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 10:30 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting View Post
You're saying that Callahan shouldn't be compared to Prucha, and that he's great for being only 23 years old... let's not forget that Prucha scored 30 goals and 47 points in only 68 games in the season he was 23. If you think Callahan is a god now, I can't imagine what you thought of Prucha when he was 23.

Callahan has a long way to go. To be honest I thought Callahan sucked for most of this season. Between last year and early this year I didn't think he was nearly as good as his late season stint in 06-07. He hustles and hits, but he's been pretty bad on the puck. He's not much of a passer, and I feel like 90% of the time he gets the puck he goes straight down the right side and ends up getting a bad angle shot blocked or turning the puck over in the corner. But I have to admit he's played well the last couple of games.

Ok, let me try again:

Ryan Callahan: Hockey God? :sarc asm:

There, is that apparent enough for everyone?

The Prucha comparison is irrelevant. Prucha had one great year followed by a majority of his games being snake-bit. Ryan Callahan has been consistent his whole career with the except of a short span last year. You can notice the week-by-week improvements of Callahan. He's not a flash in the pan. And I can't imagine what Callahan will be like at his best if he's averaging a 25 goal season and "has sucked."

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 10:31 PM
Blazephr

Cally a hockey god?? oy vey

as for Naslund...if he doesn't pot a goal in the first 10 minutes of the game...then he's completely useless for the full 60 minutes. He disappears for the remaining 50 minutes of almost every game.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 10:34 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

If I see one more "Captain Coward" post in this thread I'm going to lose it.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
If I see one more "Captain Coward" post in this thread I'm going to lose it.
Hey man, just because you have a love affair with the guy doesn't mean other posters aren't entitled to their opinion.

I think the conversation I was having with the other poster was very relevant and very appropriate. Please don't overstep your bounds.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 10:40 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
He's more of a player than Captain Coward is.
Let's play, Name That Player.

Player A: 37 GP, 10 goals, 13 assists, 23 points, -5, 10 PIM, 20:00 ATOI
Player B: 37 GP, 11 goals, 3 assists, 14 points, -4, 20 PIM, 16:00 ATOI

I wouldn't say he's more of a player. I would say he skates hard and is a good third line player. And that we shouldn't get ahead of our selves. There is a lot more hockey to play this year. Let's see how this team is constructed after the trade deadline.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 10:41 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Let's play, Name That Player.

Player A: 37 GP, 10 goals, 13 assists, 23 points, -5, 10 PIM, 20:00 ATOI
Player B: 37 GP, 11 goals, 3 assists, 14 points, -4, 20 PIM, 16:00 ATOI

I wouldn't say he's more of a player. I would say he skates hard and is a good third line player. And that we shouldn't get ahead of our selves. There is a lot more hockey to play this year. Let's see how this team is constructed after the trade deadline.
You make good points, and I did respond to you, but my post was deleted for some reason. I'm sorry I don't remember exactly what I said.

Old
12-23-2008, 10:42 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
You make good points, and I did respond to you, but my post was deleted for some reason. I'm sorry I don't remember exactly what I said.
Mine was deleted too. lol I'm not sure why, maybe the server is overloaded or something.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 10:46 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Hey man, just because you have a love affair with the guy doesn't mean other posters aren't entitled to their opinion.

I think the conversation I was having with the other poster was very relevant and very appropriate. Please don't overstep your bounds.
This is a Ryan Callahan thread, not another excuse to bring up Chris Drury. With the amount of bashing that goes on around here, why would I bother starting an agenda right now?

Complain about him all you want but do it where it's actually relevant.

Quote:
He's more of a player than Captain Coward is.
Baiting people into an argument over Drury is hardly appropriate or relevant to this thread.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 10:48 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Mine was deleted too. lol I'm not sure why, maybe the server is overloaded or something.
Yea, I'm not sure why either haha. Oh well.

Old
12-23-2008, 11:33 PM
The Thomas J.*

Cally is turning into the player I thought he would become last year, but he got hurt & that hurt his development, but since that stint in Hartford he is getting better & better.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote