HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Question about Montreal

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2004, 07:41 AM
Leaf_Crazy

vCash: 500
Question about Montreal

I heard the reason Gainey got Kovalev is because they need to get to the 3rd round to break even? Why is this? I thought they had a full building every night, and they dont have a huge payroll!... is this because ticket prices arent high enough or what?!?!

Please fill me iN!

Old
03-05-2004, 07:44 AM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_Crazy
I heard the reason Gainey got Kovalev is because they need to get to the 3rd round to break even? Why is this? I thought they had a full building every night, and they dont have a huge payroll!... is this because ticket prices arent high enough or what?!?!

Please fill me iN!
first of all i think bull$!t that theyre losing money,
BUT! using that same bull$!t lie might help them with tax breaks.

and yeah thay average 21,000 everynight

Old
03-05-2004, 07:49 AM
Leaf_Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by #44_delivers
first of all i think bull$!t that theyre losing money,
BUT! using that same bull$!t lie might help them with tax breaks.

and yeah thay average 21,000 everynight
Interesting...

Old
03-05-2004, 08:13 AM
electric

There isn't a team in pro sports who pay as much taxes as the Canadiens.

Old
03-05-2004, 08:17 AM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric
Exactly.. the habs pay so much tax on everything. The Quebec government isn't doing much to help them out.. that has a lot to do with the reason why the Expos will be leaving soon (other than the fact that they suck)..

Old
03-05-2004, 08:47 AM
Leaf_Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseTheo
Exactly.. the habs pay so much tax on everything. The Quebec government isn't doing much to help them out.. that has a lot to do with the reason why the Expos will be leaving soon (other than the fact that they suck)..

What are the taxes like? And I hate to say it... but if the Taxes are so bad why would they not move out of Montreal...

I know its an old Franchise but whats the point in staying in a location if you arent making money, rather losing it just because the government likes to screw you over. Even if they threatened to move im sure Hab fans would protest and the government would balk.

Old
03-05-2004, 09:03 AM
Habs4Cup

Location: Montreal, the only city where Stanley Cups come in cases of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_Crazy
What are the taxes like? And I hate to say it... but if the Taxes are so bad why would they not move out of Montreal...

I know its an old Franchise but whats the point in staying in a location if you arent making money, rather losing it just because the government likes to screw you over. Even if they threatened to move im sure Hab fans would protest and the government would balk.
Right now, the Habs pay more taxes than the 29 other teams combined. I believe they pay roughly 8 million$ in municipal tax per year.

Even though the payroll is low, you have to remember that we're still paying McKay, Gilmour and a bunch of other old players we had last year in our line-up.

Old
03-05-2004, 09:43 AM
Evil Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric
True this. And combine it with the fact that all Canadian market teams suffer because of the Canadian dollar.

Over this summer we'll all find out what teams in every market are suffering.

My guesses? Nashville, Atlanta, Minnesota, Ottawa, Anaheim, Buffalo... just to name a handful of teams.

Old
03-05-2004, 10:18 AM
BlueBlood17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4Cup
Right now, the Habs pay more taxes than the 29 other teams combined. I believe they pay roughly 8 million$ in municipal tax per year.

Even though the payroll is low, you have to remember that we're still paying McKay, Gilmour and a bunch of other old players we had last year in our line-up.
How are you guys still paying Gilmour????

You guys traded him to the Leafs last year and he was not offered a contract due to injury over the offseason.

Old
03-05-2004, 10:24 AM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlood17
How are you guys still paying Gilmour????

You guys traded him to the Leafs last year and he was not offered a contract due to injury over the offseason.
I think he meant McKay and Cherkawski

Old
03-05-2004, 10:26 AM
BlueBlood17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing
I think he meant McKay and Cherkawski
OK, that makes more sense.....I was confused.

OT: Do you know how much the buyouts of McKay and Czerkawski cost them? I'm just curious.

Old
03-05-2004, 10:26 AM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Habs are losing money? I thought they were one of the few teams that make money no matter what(Leafs and Rangers, possibly Red Wings, are the others).

Old
03-05-2004, 10:27 AM
NHLcrazy

2 Reasons:

--Taxes
--Revenues in CAN$ and expenses in US$

Old
03-05-2004, 10:32 AM
habfan4

Quote:
OK, that makes more sense.....I was confused.

OT: Do you know how much the buyouts of McKay and Czerkawski cost them? I'm just curious.
3.4 Million for Audette, 1.8 million for Chow and approximately 1.5 million for McKay (can't get an exact amount for McKay but most buyouts are 75% of a players salary or more)

Old
03-05-2004, 10:39 AM
Habsfunk

There's a few reasons the Habs may be losing money:
1) They had to buy out too many crappy players and have other NHL salaries playing in Hamilton (ie. McKay, Czerkawski, Traverse, Dykhuis, Audette)

2) The books are being cooked. The Habs accountant could easily make it seem as if the team is losing money. For instance, attribute that big tax bill entirely to the team, when its not the only group that uses the Bell Centre. One could also shift other revenue, such as parking, advertising, naming rights, etc... to the building instead of the team. The Bell Centre is considered one of the most profitable entertainment buildings in the world. The Habs also average over 20,000 fans per game (though at one of the lower ticket prices in the game). Additionally, they're in the top 5 in the league in terms of TV money.

3) Of course, they could very well be losing money. Maybe they took out a bad loan in the past and the interest on it is too high. Perhaps they are overspending.

I just find it hard to believe the Habs are losing so much money, particularly with the rise of the dollar. I think there's some creative bookkeeping being done that attributes as much revenue as possible to the arena, and most expenses to the team. It wouldn't be that hard to do, and its something all businesses do when they're looking for concessions (tax break, better CBA).

Old
03-05-2004, 11:02 AM
BlueBlood17

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4
3.4 Million for Audette, 1.8 million for Chow and approximately 1.5 million for McKay (can't get an exact amount for McKay but most buyouts are 75% of a players salary or more)
Zoinks.

That's a tough pill to swallow.....but at least it seems that weeding out some of the deadwood has paid dividends on the ice this year.

Old
03-05-2004, 11:14 AM
ShootOut

Send a message via ICQ to ShootOut Send a message via MSN to ShootOut
Add to that the contracts of Dykhuis and Traverse who make, combined, more than 2 million dollars as well.

Old
03-05-2004, 11:37 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Zoinks.

That's a tough pill to swallow.....but at least it seems that weeding out some of the deadwood has paid dividends on the ice this year.
No doubt Gainey (more specifically George Gillett) had a tough time signing those cheques, but the bad taste it left in their mouths will have vanished by next season.

The Habs have turned the corner in their rebuilding plans, they no longer need to fill out their line up with washed up (perhaps that's a little harsh) overpaid players. The free agents or players acquired via trade (i.e. Juneau, Perreault, Quintal, Dackell etc...) that Andre Savard used to keep the Habs afloat while they built through the draft are on there way out - so the Canadiens look to be in good shape going forward after the CBA is hammered out.

Closed Thread