HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's going on with these "new" Panthers?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-24-2008, 02:33 PM
  #26
Panthers/Leafs fan
 
Panthers/Leafs fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Country: Belgium
Posts: 2,428
vCash: 500
That's a good thought and I wonder if PDB will come to the same conclusion. In all "scoring" sports there have always been set-up men and finishers. What you say about Horton not being a set-up man makes sense, perhaps he needs someone who can consistently get him the puck.

But I'd prefer to see him play like Frolik, who doesn't seem to need a good pass to get something going. Frolik is looking to make something happen, which is why he's going to be a fan favorite too. And it helps when the soon-to-be-fan-favorite (I've annointed him ) works his butt off on defense too.

This team is building a very strong identity. One can only wonder where we would be if the season began today...meaning, if we didn't have the bad stats and lack of points which came about because it took a while to get there. IMO, this team is only going to get better. It's not as if we haven't had a ton of injuries to work through either. What happens to some of the teams ahead of us in the standings when they start losing more key players?

Panthers/Leafs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 02:46 PM
  #27
Panthers/Leafs fan
 
Panthers/Leafs fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Country: Belgium
Posts: 2,428
vCash: 500
The power play is still a concern, though. The problem lies in the setting-up, rather than what they do when they get set up. Whenever they have time they invariably get dangerous--but so often they waste time in getting across that blue line, make a bad pass, etc. I would expect PDB to put some focus on that. And I think that Michael Frolik's going to be doing a bit more shooting on that power play, which can only take pressure off Bouwmeester and Vokoun.

Took a quick look at the team stats on nhl.com.
Florida 9th in their penalty kill.
Florida 6th in goals against.
Florida 3rd in penalties against.

Take a look at the company we're keeping with some of those stats. That's quite impressive. We're not out of the woods yet, but we're on the right path.

Panthers/Leafs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 02:49 PM
  #28
Mogo
#GameOver
 
Mogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 12,259
vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers/Leafs fan View Post
The power play is still a concern, though. The problem lies in the setting-up, rather than what they do when they get set up. Whenever they have time they invariably get dangerous--but so often they waste time in getting across that blue line, make a bad pass, etc. I would expect PDB to put some focus on that. And I think that Michael Frolik's going to be doing a bit more shooting on that power play, which can only take pressure off Bouwmeester and Vokoun.

Took a quick look at the team stats on nhl.com.
Florida 9th in their penalty kill.
Florida 6th in goals against.
Florida 3rd in penalties against.

Take a look at the company we're keeping with some of those stats. That's quite impressive. We're not out of the woods yet, but we're on the right path.
27th in goal scored ;(

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 03:00 PM
  #29
Panthers/Leafs fan
 
Panthers/Leafs fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Country: Belgium
Posts: 2,428
vCash: 500
Yeah, there's no argument there. Kind of hard to respond in any intelligent fashion when the only teams worse than you are Ottawa, Tampa Bay and the Islanders.

However, perhaps I might be allowed to point out that a team which doesn't allow many goals against needs to only score one more goal than the opposition to do well? Huh? Huh? What do you say to THAT!

Now if JM would just go out and get us a pure scorer.

Panthers/Leafs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 03:05 PM
  #30
Booth10
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 353
vCash: 500
This team is ready to start scoring a lot of goals. You saw it last night. They should have had 5. Our best scorers are just coming back and Frolik is just getting started. We are going to make the playoffs pretty easily.

Booth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 03:24 PM
  #31
pb1300
#CatsAreComing
 
pb1300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Aiyio, Greece
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,777
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booth10 View Post
This team is ready to start scoring a lot of goals. You saw it last night. They should have had 5. Our best scorers are just coming back and Frolik is just getting started. We still have a shot at making the playoffs.
Fixed it for ya. Lets not get ahead of ourselves just yet, we still have 40+ games left in the season.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 03:31 PM
  #32
Panthers/Leafs fan
 
Panthers/Leafs fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Country: Belgium
Posts: 2,428
vCash: 500

Panthers/Leafs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 04:38 PM
  #33
Lola
Future Panthers
 
Lola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Central Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,032
vCash: 500
Didn't read all the responses (will catch up after the holidays), but wanted to say:

When the hockey gods are smiling down upon you, the only thing you can do is bask in the glory.

Go Panthers!

Lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 05:34 PM
  #34
39ontheline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
9th in the standings is a whole lot better than 14th, as are your Lightning you keep bragging about. Did you take into account that they have two games in hand on Carolina, and one on Buffalo? So if they win ONE game, they are now 8th in the conference. Its a WHOLE lot better than 14/15th in the conference, as we were prior to us going 9-2-3 in our past 14. Give it a rest man, this team is playing great hockey, from our two outstanding goaltenders, to the forwards. If you want to come here and give crap about whats going wrong, you are on your own. If you are so infatuated about the Lightning, why dont you go on their board. Im sure you pissy attitude will fit right in with the rest of them lol.
I hate tampa what the hell are you talking about? Im making a valid poing about the epic failures of this team that could come back to haunt them later in the season. Anderson and Vokoun cant bail them out for ever. Those guys need help and like I said, they have scored less goals than the Islanders and would be worse than tampa if it werent for the goalies. Evidently by implying Tampa was aweful that meant I loved them in your eyes. Nice.

39ontheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 05:39 PM
  #35
39ontheline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
heh... well, someone came in and cleaned up all those abusive posts. ah well. i was actually going to come back and post an apology. at least 39's presenting some reasoning when he posts, unlike some others. from there, we can see where the problem and faulty logic is.

i agree with both of you - comparing us to TB is not illuminating as we actually have a defense. generally we're eliminating a lot of the really good scoring chances and keeping second chances down. we have good backpressure because the forwards cranking back in transition. haven't seen much TB except the 2 games against them but based on their lack of success, you'd have to assume they aren't executing the fundamentals. so, yeah - i disagree that we're an andy/vokie hot streak away from TB's position.
I wasnt comparing them to tampa, tampa is the worst team on earth right now and without the panthers goaltenders I bet they'd be near the bottom of the league right now with the amount of shots they have faced. And it's naive to say that other teams havent had many chances against the panthers. The sheer volume of shots against creates chances. Ballard and Bouwmeester are playing well, McCabe is okay, the rest of the group is nothing. Boynton is horrible, Welch is Horrible, Cullimore is horrible, and allen is injured (good when healthy) The D is obviously bad since they have given up the most shots in the league and my point the whole time....... if it werent for the goalies they'd be worse than tampa.

39ontheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 05:43 PM
  #36
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor
 
StrangeVision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 15,466
vCash: 500
You do realize that quantity is not the same as quality, right? Anderson's shutout against Edmonton was nothing special because the shots were mostly low quality perimeter shots. The team allowed a lot of shots, but kept Edmonton from getting any quality scoring chances. The team has been very good at limiting the opposition from getting good scoring chances.

StrangeVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 05:45 PM
  #37
Rockaway Rob
aka blackpanthers
 
Rockaway Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 313
vCash: 500
Now I know it's xmas eve... the grinch has made an appearance

Rockaway Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 05:46 PM
  #38
Booth10
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpanthers View Post
Now I know it's xmas eve... the grinch has made an appearance
maybe we need to chip in and buy him a present.

Booth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 06:21 PM
  #39
pb1300
#CatsAreComing
 
pb1300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Aiyio, Greece
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,777
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by 39ontheline View Post
I hate tampa what the hell are you talking about? Im making a valid poing about the epic failures of this team that could come back to haunt them later in the season. Anderson and Vokoun cant bail them out for ever. Those guys need help and like I said, they have scored less goals than the Islanders and would be worse than tampa if it werent for the goalies. Evidently by implying Tampa was aweful that meant I loved them in your eyes. Nice.
They would be a worse team than Tampa if it wasnt for the goalies??? HUH? lol Aside from 3 or 4 players on Tampa, we trump them. Who is the Bolts Dmen? C'mon, you should know this since you're a Bolts fan. So what if the Panthers dont score like the Sharks or Bruins. You are the only person that actually compares total goals scored, rather than goals a game. I cant even recall when any team is being broadcasted, and they say, "Oh, look at the Habs, they've scored 95 goals this season." Give it a rest, your posts are weak. This team went through its epic failure early on in the season, and you know what, they overcame it. They are playing sound hockey right now, and the only thing you can come up with is shots against??? Classic!

Live StrangeVision said, its not about quantity all the time. How many scoring chances did Nashville have last night? A handfull, at most! Or the game in Edmonton for that matter? It doesnt matter how many shots are getting to the goalies, because most of them in games are easy for them to see, and more importantly, there are either no rebounds, or we are positioned well to clear the rebound. Watch how they play instead of commented on something you have no clue about.


Last edited by Acadmus: 12-24-2008 at 06:27 PM.
pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 06:22 PM
  #40
pb1300
#CatsAreComing
 
pb1300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Aiyio, Greece
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,777
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booth10 View Post
maybe we need to chip in and buy him a present.
Yeah, like a ticket to a Panther game so he can actually SEE how they are playing. Ill chip some money in and get one for him for Saturdays game, so he can root for the home team.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 07:22 PM
  #41
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,184
vCash: 540
39 - they've also scored 5 more than the sens with, arguably, the most talented line in the league. the equation just isn't that simple. the imperative is this - score 1 more goal than your opponent. last year, we scored more than the bruins and rangers, both of whom made the playoffs. what did that prove? speaking of the bruins, look at their totals this year. they are embarrassing. 126 goals? you gotta be kidding me. they have the hottest scorer in the league, a sharp rookie (wheeler) and bergeron's back. otherwise? otherwise they aren't that different from the team last year which struggled for goals but got by playing a strong team game. the panthers will be fine if they continue to hone their team approach. they are getting better in all 3 zones and as a result, are giving up fewer and fewer quality chances. shots are going down as well (in case you haven't noticed). this team is about as far from TB as one can possibly be.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 07:28 PM
  #42
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor
 
StrangeVision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 15,466
vCash: 500
The Bruins are embarrassing?

They are scoring 3.65 goals per game, which is tops in the NHL.

I must have misunderstood what you wrote...

Also, the difference for them is how much better they're players are, than last year. Krejci is playing great, Lucic is playing great, and Kessel is awesome. The personnel is the same, but that personnel has improved.

StrangeVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 07:32 PM
  #43
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,184
vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
The Bruins are embarrassing?

They are scoring 3.65 goals per game, which is tops in the NHL.

I must have misunderstood what you wrote...

Also, the difference for them is how much better they're players are, than last year. Krejci is playing great, Lucic is playing great, and Kessel is awesome. The personnel is the same, but that personnel has improved.
i thought it was apparent that i was praising them. i meant embarrassingly good.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 07:36 PM
  #44
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor
 
StrangeVision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 15,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
i thought it was apparent that i was praising them. i meant embarrassingly good.
Apparently it wasn't apparent enough. I think "ridiculous" would have worked better than "embarrassing".


Last edited by StrangeVision: 12-24-2008 at 08:08 PM.
StrangeVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 07:53 PM
  #45
Panthers_Fan
Registered User
 
Panthers_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 1,083
vCash: 500
Now that most of the team is back from injury the offense needs to show up. The past two games have been great games, hopefully the play continues. We can not revert back to before the streak.

During our winning streak when we had our "good" guys out, we had a bad offense but we had an excuse. Yes, we won but their is no way we can maintain that kind of play for a whole season.

How the team plays now that almost everyone is back will decide whether we make the playoffs or not (as well as the Jay Bo situation). I said at the beginning of the season that we were one star offensive player away from being a playoff team. If Frolik's recent play isn't a fluke (no jinx), I think we are set as a playoff caliber team. Not a contender, but definitely capable of making the playoffs.

Panthers_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 03:15 PM
  #46
J17 Vs Proclamation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Reading.
Country: South Korea
Posts: 7,969
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
39 - they've also scored 5 more than the sens with, arguably, the most talented line in the league. the equation just isn't that simple. the imperative is this - score 1 more goal than your opponent. last year, we scored more than the bruins and rangers, both of whom made the playoffs. what did that prove? speaking of the bruins, look at their totals this year. they are embarrassing. 126 goals? you gotta be kidding me. they have the hottest scorer in the league, a sharp rookie (wheeler) and bergeron's back. otherwise? otherwise they aren't that different from the team last year which struggled for goals but got by playing a strong team game. the panthers will be fine if they continue to hone their team approach. they are getting better in all 3 zones and as a result, are giving up fewer and fewer quality chances. shots are going down as well (in case you haven't noticed). this team is about as far from TB as one can possibly be.
The reason for the Bruins success is obviously an incredibly deep Offense. Last year, they didn't have Ryder, Krejci and Wheeler (Krejci played minimal games). Their 2nd line is the best in the NHL right now. Kessel developing has also been a major factor for them. Indeed, bergeron is their 3rd best center right now.

So the Bruins are quite different IMO.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 03:30 PM
  #47
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,184
vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
The reason for the Bruins success is obviously an incredibly deep Offense. Last year, they didn't have Ryder, Krejci and Wheeler (Krejci played minimal games). Their 2nd line is the best in the NHL right now. Kessel developing has also been a major factor for them. Indeed, bergeron is their 3rd best center right now.

So the Bruins are quite different IMO.
he did what? 56 games is minimal. sorry, wrong-o. i mentioned wheeler but he was not even a lock to make the roster out of camp so his scoring is a huge bonus. anyhow, my point wasn't that they were the same, it was that they made a couple of tweaks and went from a disciplined, low-scoring playoff team to a beast. they had one rookie come in and outperform (matthias next year maybe?), one free agent do the same (suggestions anyone?) and all of the sudden, playing a pretty conservative style, they're lights out.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 05:34 PM
  #48
J17 Vs Proclamation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Reading.
Country: South Korea
Posts: 7,969
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
he did what? 56 games is minimal. sorry, wrong-o. i mentioned wheeler but he was not even a lock to make the roster out of camp so his scoring is a huge bonus. anyhow, my point wasn't that they were the same, it was that they made a couple of tweaks and went from a disciplined, low-scoring playoff team to a beast. they had one rookie come in and outperform (matthias next year maybe?), one free agent do the same (suggestions anyone?) and all of the sudden, playing a pretty conservative style, they're lights out.
Krejci saw very litte time in some of those games. Indeed it wasn't until the playoffs where his roll increased. So yes, Krejci, Ryder and Wheeler is basically new offensive production they gained this year. Kessel improved alot as well. So really, IMO their roster is improved from last year dramatically. The young players took a big step forward (something our don't seem to do)


Wheeler and Matthias aren't comparable. Wheeler produced very well in the NCAA, and was somewhat of an unknown when turning to pro, how would he handle it etc. He has adapted very well. Matthias, well he hasn't. Wheeler was also a better prospect, its just that we got caught up a little in Matthias's hype. He remains a good prospect, but a big project.

So really, Boston is so good now because they gained two top 6 forwards - Wheeler, Ryder. They saw a young develop into a brilliant top 6 forward - Krejci. They say a young player develop into what appears to be a perenial 40 Goal man in Kessel. That plus Savard, Chara, solid depth guys, Bergeron and solid Goaltending is what makes them great this year.

I don't see the Panthers having that development next year. Maybe Frolik, maybe Horton (Horton's a massive if) can develop into true top line forwards, but i still wonder where the secondary scoring is going to come from.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 06:03 PM
  #49
Panthers/Leafs fan
 
Panthers/Leafs fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Country: Belgium
Posts: 2,428
vCash: 500
Well, we believe that JM is still looking for some...

Panthers/Leafs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 06:05 PM
  #50
Panthers/Leafs fan
 
Panthers/Leafs fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Country: Belgium
Posts: 2,428
vCash: 500
But my thinking too, is that PDB is attempting to get one of his forwards going (Horton), which would be a lot more productive than giving up assets in the obtaining of another forward. Makes sense to me.

Panthers/Leafs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.