HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Chris Drury's Post Game Reaction

Closed Thread

Old
12-24-2008, 11:15 AM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

vCash: 500
holy over reaction on drury.

anyone that has followed his career knows how badly he hates to lose.

if anything his comments show how much he does care.

he is saying he is trying to get rid of the garbage in his mind and not let it ruin xmas. why is he saying that? to try and get it off his chest, otherwise it would haunt him.

he also has been around long enough to know these games happen. especially close to holidays. it is not the playoffs where you have to fire up the boys. it is the last game before a couple days off. he is trying to let the team know to shake it off, focus on family and friends and then come back fresh.

if you are at work and drill 5 holes in something that needed only one and you blow it big time. do you dwell on that over your holiday or do you leave it at the door and address it when you come back?

Old
12-24-2008, 11:17 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
You have no idea what goes on behind closed doors. Of course Drury is going to feed the PC answer to the media. I highly doubt Drury and Renney are going to completely ignore what happened last night, but its equally important to make sure the team moves on.
You're right, i'll admit that.

Maybe i flew off the handle a little looking back at the original post.

I think my anger stesm more towards Renney than the players at this point, but for Drury to say he wasnt embarrassed after the Devil game and then dismisses this latest debacle so quickly, id liek to see a little more substance to his post game comments than what i've heard recently.

Ill keep it at that.

Merry Christmas everyone

Old
12-24-2008, 11:21 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Good god, stop it with the ****ing salaries already. So you're saying that people who get paid more than you automatically lose all sense of being human?
I honestly think the mentioning of salaries should be banned around here. It's tiring reading post after post that includes a players salary followed by some dumb generalizations. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this boat. Every one knows how much the players get paid, why do we have to constantly be reminded of it. Please, give it a rest already
Im not saying their not human. but it does cushion the blow alot. This isn't football where your contract isn't guaranteed. He gets his money, and can play like crap. Whats the worst that can happen to him. they buy him out and then he signs another contract. booo freaking hoo.

and if he did care so much, than why doesn't he show it on the ice. Why do you think that players play better their UFA years, and usually have a let down the following year. It is b/c of salary. the security.

Old
12-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Nick00

Terrible captain, unmotivated team. This is a perfect example.

Old
12-24-2008, 12:14 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Either you and I were watching something different, or either of us had too many beers, because I saw a guy who was really upset about the game, talking about the point coming back to haunt in the future. Why dwell on it, I'd want to throw it in the garbage too. Renney should donate the point to charity

Old
12-24-2008, 12:14 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

i actually think that's the correct response.

Sure it sucked that the team lost, but they need to move on and get beyond that one. They can't let that type of game linger. If they keep thinking about it and leave it in the back of their minds, they'll let it happen again.

Maybe he isn't breaking enough sticks or shouting at people like some might like to see, but as an opposing teams fan, I think getting beyond and over just one loss in a long season is the right way to go about it. The season is a marathon, not a sprint.

Old
12-24-2008, 12:33 PM
asparkoflife

Im not really sure how you guys wanted him to respond. He seemed furious while he was saying it. Everyone knows Drury isa real comptetitive guy. Im not sure much needs to be said in a locker room after something like this. Even if there was...definitely not to the media. The media would take any lashing out and turn it on its head.

He handled it right. Just go out and beat NJ in a few days.

Old
12-24-2008, 12:37 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
just like coaches aren't effective unless they yell like madmen, captains apparently aren't effective unless they let losses ruin their Christmases.

Old
12-24-2008, 12:40 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Its always "lets learn from this" - and they never do. Maybe they shouldn't "forget about this one" for once. Maybe remember it this time around.

A collapse against the Lightning, Philly, the Devils, maybe another one im forgetting and last night too.

They never learn. RENNEY never learns. They get a lead and any momentum and they go into a shell. ITs been done so many times, you start to believe its not just the players. Countless 2 goal leads given up last year, the huge Montreal debacle. The year before that there were quite a few as well. Many players ahve come in and out of the Rangers lockerroom since then but one thing remains constant: the coach.

When you come out in the third period behind the wheel of a Chevy Trailblazer instead of the Ferrari you were driving in the first period, it starts to dawn on you that its more than just the guys on the ice, but the father taking the keys away.
if you want to blame renney i agree with you. the only thing he changes are the lines that is it. but i dont think drurys post game reaction or lack thereof is a huge cause for concern. but if you want to see more fire from him or someone else i understand what you mean.

Old
12-24-2008, 12:59 PM
DutchShamrock

It's not a bad response... the problem is I have heard this same line far too many times this season. Be it Renney, Gomez, Drury, whoever. Following a bad loss they give the cliche response, "we just have to throw this game away and put it behind us. we need to focus on the next game."

This is a good attitude at various times during a long season. You're not going to play great everynight and sometimes the true problem was something intangible, not x's and o's. So going over the game in your head accomplishes nothing. But I've heard this statement now about a half dozen times so far. Maybe it's not a 'bad night', or just one of those things that happens during the season. Maybe this loss shouldn't be 'thrown away'. Maybe it does need to be examined with all of those other so called flukey losses.

I don't mind them forgetting about their mistakes as long as they don't repeat them. Needless to say, I'm starting to mind.

Old
12-24-2008, 01:03 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
It's not a bad response... the problem is I have heard this same line far too many times this season. Be it Renney, Gomez, Drury, whoever. Following a bad loss they give the cliche response, "we just have to throw this game away and put it behind us. we need to focus on the next game."

This is a good attitude at various times during a long season. You're not going to play great everynight and sometimes the true problem was something intangible, not x's and o's. So going over the game in your head accomplishes nothing. But I've heard this statement now about a half dozen times so far. Maybe it's not a 'bad night', or just one of those things that happens during the season. Maybe this loss shouldn't be 'thrown away'. Maybe it does need to be examined with all of those other so called flukey losses.

I don't mind them forgetting about their mistakes as long as they don't repeat them. Needless to say, I'm starting to mind.
you know where I heard these responses before: The 2007 and 2008 New York Mets under Willie Randolph. Just one big excuse.

Please get rid of Renney.

Old
12-24-2008, 01:27 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
the wort part about being 1st place in the atlantic is that you can't gut a team that's in 1st place in the atlantic
at least there is precedent for firing your coach. Maybe the one thing we can thank new jersey for?

Old
12-24-2008, 01:36 PM
OneMinuteShift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
You have no idea what goes on behind closed doors. Of course Drury is going to feed the PC answer to the media. I highly doubt Drury and Renney are going to completely ignore what happened last night, but its equally important to make sure the team moves on.
Exactly.

The problem with some fans is that they are waiting for Captain obvious. 'Yell, scream, throw **** around !' Yeah, thats works for about two seconds, then its time to use your brain. Notice how the posters that want the yelling and screaming never have anything else to say, just want to see something completely obvious for them to think problems are being worked on.

Old
12-24-2008, 01:41 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I did notice when Renny called the time out and he was barking some stuff at the team no one seemed to be particularly paying attention.

You know Buffalo had issues like this when Drury and Briere we co-captains. They would look like **** for half the game and than turn it on and come from behind and win so many games. But they had some really talented scoring threats on that team at that time...

Old
12-24-2008, 01:43 PM
OneMinuteShift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
I did notice when Renny called the time out and he was barking some stuff at the team no one seemed to be particularly paying attention.

You know Buffalo had issues like this when Drury and Briere we co-captains. They would look like **** for half the game and than turn it on and come from behind and win so many games. But they had some really talented scoring threats on that team at that time...
What should they have been doing, staring directly at him the whole time like schoolkids> I know, you're looking too deep cause well, its a slow day

Old
12-24-2008, 01:46 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

rergardless of the captains public comments after the loss. That loss SUCKED and it not the first collapse we've seen to a team that is supposed to be under the Rangers. That is a character issue. Someone needs to get through to this team and convince them to play the whole 60 minutes with the same optimum focus and effort.

The GM CAN SWING THE AXE to wake them up...

The coaching staff can coach

The captain can captain

Old
12-24-2008, 01:48 PM
Nick00

The "who gives a ****, it's one game, look at the standings" attitude is really not going to work to their advantage in the playoffs, when you can't afford to just take a night off. Horrible leadership from an overpaid player who lacks passion.

Old
12-24-2008, 01:50 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
This is the least of our problems. Drury could call up Messier and personally ask him for a word-for-word answer to every question that get's thrown this way, but that wouldn't change the fact that this team just isn't very good.
I've been saying that for weeks. I totally agree.

As for Drury...at least he didn't spit out his normal cliche's last night, maybe he's improving

Old
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMinuteShift View Post
What should they have been doing, staring directly at him the whole time like schoolkids> I know, you're looking too deep cause well, its a slow day
Maybe so, but I didnt get that sense or urgency you'd like to see from a team whose coach just called a time out in desperation, watching you blow a 4-0 lead to a team thats riddled with injuries and icing a bunch of AHL'rs just to get by.

Theres no consequences. No real impactful ones. Rennys solution to this will be to hold a meeting and than bench Nigel Dawes.

Old
OneMinuteShift

Quote:
rergardless of the captains public comments after the loss. That loss SUCKED and it not the first collapse we've seen to a team that is supposed to be under the Rangers. That is a character issue. Someone needs to get through to this team and convince them to play the whole 60 minutes with the same optimum focus and effort.

The GM CAN SWING THE AXE to wake them up...

The coaching staff can coach

The captain can captain
What you fail to mention is, we've had just as many comebacks as collapses, have we not?

This team is an above average team, but because of the salaries fans brains are clouded green, they cant get over the fact we don't have a top tier lineup even though they're paid very well. And even still we have one of the best records in the east with plenty of time to correct some very bad play.

I'll predict it right now, one or two shrewd moves by Sather and the fair weather fans will be back on board, still cursing Renney, but in a passive aggressive way

Old
12-24-2008, 01:51 PM
OneMinuteShift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick26 View Post
The "who gives a ****, it's one game, look at the standings" attitude is really not going to work to their advantage in the playoffs, when you can't afford to just take a night off. Horrible leadership from an overpaid player who lacks passion.
Is this April? Cool, Christmas in the Spring !

Old
12-24-2008, 01:53 PM
OneMinuteShift

Quote:
Maybe so, but I didnt get that sense or urgency you'd like to see from a team whose coach just called a time out in desperation, watching you blow a 4-0 lead to a team thats riddled with injuries and icing a bunch of AHL'rs just to get by.

Theres no consequences. No real impactful ones. Rennys solution to this will be to hold a meeting and than bench Nigel Dawes.
Call me when we get no points in 4 games. The fact is we've had 5 points in 4 games, we're not perfect but the wheels are hardly falling off.

Old
12-24-2008, 01:54 PM
Nick00

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMinuteShift View Post
Is this April? Cool, Christmas in the Spring !
So you're suggesting that this team will be completely turned around come April? Do you want to go on record as saying that?

Old
12-24-2008, 01:54 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
the wort part about being 1st place in the atlantic is that you can't gut a team that's in 1st place in the atlantic
But you can fire a coach trust me.....I know.

Old
12-24-2008, 01:55 PM
OneMinuteShift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick26 View Post
So you're suggesting that this team will be completely turned around come April? Do you want to go on record as saying that?
I have no idea what will happen, I do have patience though. December is not April.

Closed Thread