HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Kovalev impact on Zednik

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2004, 08:54 AM
plafleur10

vCash: 500
Kovalev impact on Zednik

According to today's papers (La Presse, Le Journal), they practiced mainly special units yesterday, and the first power play unit was made of Kovalev, Ribeiro and Ryder up front (in Ryder's case, Julien wants a right shooting forward for one timers on the left side of the net), and Saku and Brisebois on the point (we are fortunate that Saku has only a popgun shot, as he blasted one of Kovalev's ankle), so, as things now stand, Mr. Zednik pays the price and is left off the first PP unit, do not know how happy or unhappy he will be...

It is however likely that Kovalev will eventually land on the point, in which case it will be interesting to see if the only change is Saku replacing him up front, or what else Julien does with his two centers...

Also, Julien is surprisingly non-commital about which line Kovalev will play on, are we in for a surprise?

Old
03-05-2004, 08:58 AM
#44_delivers

excellent post !
i think the line ups are gonna go through massive juggling

Old
03-05-2004, 09:05 AM
HABitude

“Also, Julien is surprisingly non-commital about which line Kovalev will play on, are we in for a surprise?”

Julien will go with whatever combinaison will have more success. Julien doesn't make it too important but players: ...humm, they have their ego.
Now for the fans (that are divided between hard fans of Sax or Ribs) that will get into a big fight again. Kovy will start with the Sax line because Sax have the seniority and style that goes with Kovi. But if that doesn't work much Ribs will have soon enought the opportunity to have Kovi on his line (and maybe it will be a better combo, we don't know).

The best would be that Gainey brings another valuable winger to take the spot of Dagenais. Two great lines before entering the PO.

Old
03-05-2004, 09:08 AM
Joe Malone

We never really had a decent 2nd PP unit. Perhaps when everyone is healthy, we will have the players to create two full units. Kovalev, Souray, Markov, and Brisebois as point men. Koivu, Zednik, Ward, Ribeiro, Ryder, and someone else to create two forward units. Or add Kovy up front, and put Boullion on the point. (I included Ward as he can park himself in front of the net.)

(Two of Dowd's 4 goals with Minny came on the PP. )
He is a right shooting forward. So is Ward.

Old
03-05-2004, 09:11 AM
Darz

If Zednik can't handle being moved from the first PP unit to the second, well.......

Old
03-05-2004, 09:12 AM
Mr.Brownov*

Send a message via MSN to Mr.Brownov*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Malone
We never really had a decent 2nd PP unit. Perhaps when everyone is healthy, we will have the players to create two full units. Kovalev, Souray, Markov, and Brisebois as point men. Koivu, Zednik, Ward, Ribeiro, Ryder, and someone else to create two forward units. Or add Kovy up front, and put Boullion on the point. (I included Ward as he can park himself in front of the net.)

(Two of Dowd's 4 goals with Minny came on the PP. )
He is a right shooting forward. So is Ward.
I'm sure Dagenais would be a better bet on one of those two forward units instead of Ward,no?I'm so excited about tonite's game!Go Alex!!!

Old
03-05-2004, 09:14 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
If Zednik can't handle being moved from the first PP unit to the second, well.......
Exactly. This is pro sports, you gota suck it up and play regardless.

Old
03-05-2004, 09:14 AM
Joe Malone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Brownov
I'm sure Dagenais would be a better bet on one of those two forward units instead of Ward,no?
Agreed. I knew I was forgetting someone.

Old
03-05-2004, 09:17 AM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Brownov
I'm sure Dagenais would be a better bet on one of those two forward units instead of Ward,no?I'm so excited about tonite's game!Go Alex!!!
if you want an increase of short handed goals then yes dagenias would be your choice

GOG I HATE!!!!!!! DAGENIAS.

Old
03-05-2004, 09:19 AM
HabsoluteFate

Although most people think he will be with Zednik & Koivu I think because of how "well" perreault has clicked with those two that you will see him with Ryder & Ribeiro...this would mean Dagenais would either be on the fourth line or would sit out...
in the end doesnt really matter im sure he'll get to play on a line with Ribeiro at some point in time and Koivu the rest of the time.

either way im excited for tonight!

Old
03-05-2004, 09:20 AM
Boutmania

Send a message via AIM to Boutmania Send a message via Yahoo to Boutmania
Zednik will sure be unhappy about that situation. The fact is that he played his 4 last game with heart , grit and passion. Did you see him agaisnt San Jose? He was hitting and going to the net( took and some cross checks). It's too bad for him to be demoted from the first unit but it's good for the team so he should not complain. If he's somewhat a "winner", he'll work harder and try to show CJ is wrong to don't put it on the first PP unit.

Old
03-05-2004, 09:21 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate
this would mean Dagenais would either be on the fourth line or would sit out...
If Dagenais isn't on the second line with Ribiero, I hope he is sitting. He really doesn't have any value as a 4th liner. His only value (how much is arguable) is as a winger with Rib's.

Old
03-05-2004, 09:23 AM
mcphee

Red Fisher's column yesterday had quotes from Sather that Kovalev plays best with give and go type centers and that all of Mtl.'s centers play that style. If this is true, I think Koivu is best suited to him. Ribeiro is at his best when he holds onto the puck and hits the open man in shooting position, usually the last pass on the play. Koivu will cycle and challenge the D by coming off the boards with the puck. As I think Kovalev needs the puck more, Koivu makes sense. If they don't click, Ribeiro is a great option because Kovalev is also a shooter. Having Kovalev on the PP is so important because he causes the D to conced the blueline and allows them to gain the zone, which has been a bit of a problem lately. I suspect that the PP could be a little different with Kovalev playing a bit higher looking for onetime shots with a point man more in the middle. On the other hand, you can't change too much too fast.

Old
03-05-2004, 10:07 AM
swiftsure1786

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Red Fisher's column yesterday had quotes from Sather that Kovalev plays best with give and go type centers and that all of Mtl.'s centers play that style. If this is true, I think Koivu is best suited to him. Ribeiro is at his best when he holds onto the puck and hits the open man in shooting position, usually the last pass on the play. Koivu will cycle and challenge the D by coming off the boards with the puck. As I think Kovalev needs the puck more, Koivu makes sense. If they don't click, Ribeiro is a great option because Kovalev is also a shooter. Having Kovalev on the PP is so important because he causes the D to conced the blueline and allows them to gain the zone, which has been a bit of a problem lately. I suspect that the PP could be a little different with Kovalev playing a bit higher looking for onetime shots with a point man more in the middle. On the other hand, you can't change too much too fast.
I agree. He would be better suited on Koivu's line IMO.

Old
03-05-2004, 10:14 AM
Guy Caballero

1) Zed - Ribeiro - Ryder

Kovalev - Souray

2) Dagenais - Koivu - Bulis

Markov - Brisebois

Koivu and Ribeiro swap as performance dictates. Koivu goes back to center, so he's happy, and we finally have two effective PP units, so we're all happy.

Old
03-05-2004, 10:52 AM
Traitor8

I disagree with your units:

My 2 PP units would be like this:

Ryder-Koivu-Ribeiro
Kovalev-Souray

Zednik-Perreault-Ward
Markov-Brisebois

I would like to see Markov with Kovalev but I can't move Souray...

Old
03-05-2004, 10:54 AM
English Hab

Send a message via AIM to English Hab Send a message via MSN to English Hab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
1) Zed - Ribeiro - Ryder

Kovalev - Souray

2) Dagenais - Koivu - Bulis

Markov - Brisebois

Koivu and Ribeiro swap as performance dictates. Koivu goes back to center, so he's happy, and we finally have two effective PP units, so we're all happy.
dump Dags for ward... let ward park himself in front of the net and annoy oppositions goalies....

But i do agree the addition of kovi and with Souray coming back soon we now have to good PP units..

Old
03-05-2004, 10:57 AM
English Hab

just had a thought aswell... it would be nice if we could also give both souray and kovalev time apart on the ppunits.. why would we want to put both our big hitters together.. yeah it would mean a much scarier line however it would leave the other line very much one dimensional... what do you guys think???

Old
03-05-2004, 11:01 AM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Hab
just had a thought aswell... it would be nice if we could also give both souray and kovalev time apart on the ppunits.. why would we want to put both our big hitters together.. yeah it would mean a much scarier line however it would leave the other line very much one dimensional... what do you guys think???
I think it's a better idea to load up the first line. They usually play 70% of each PP.

Old
03-05-2004, 11:03 AM
patp77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boutmania
Zednik will sure be unhappy about that situation. The fact is that he played his 4 last game with heart , grit and passion. Did you see him agaisnt San Jose? He was hitting and going to the net( took and some cross checks). It's too bad for him to be demoted from the first unit but it's good for the team so he should not complain. If he's somewhat a "winner", he'll work harder and try to show CJ is wrong to don't put it on the first PP unit.
Quick answer for you:

Look at Ottawa, Colorado, Detroit, Toronto, Philadelphia and tell me how awful people must feel about being on the 2nd power play unit. Julien, being the good coach that he is, will find a way to make things work for the team. Whoever plays the hardest that night will probably be rewarded with extra power play time.

Old
03-05-2004, 11:07 AM
hockey_nut

don't worry.... Zednik will play with Kovy on the 1st line, with Koivu...

having zed on the 2nd PP unit only makes out overall PP stronger

Old
03-05-2004, 11:09 AM
English Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
I think it's a better idea to load up the first line. They usually play 70% of each PP.
yeah i thought that too.. just wanted to hear what people thought... Thanks Guy.... its always nice to shoot the S**t with ya!!!

Old
03-05-2004, 05:36 PM
Garnet

Kovy

I think he plays with Saku and Zednik and this line will get the other teams top checking line and this opens up the play for Ribs line. I like it.

Old
03-05-2004, 05:56 PM
tritone

Watch for IT

Guys , I'm giving you all a head's up .... If Markov , Koivu and Kovalev are on the ice together , You are going to see some serious GIVE AND GO / HIT AND RUN passing....Keep your eyes peeled and let's see if I'm on the mark!

Old
03-05-2004, 05:58 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet
I think he plays with Saku and Zednik and this line will get the other teams top checking line and this opens up the play for Ribs line. I like it.
exactly!
all thats missing is a REAL 2nd line to fully benifit from this.
hint .. hint dagenais get the hell out hint..

btw i also think markov will fully benifit alote from kovalev as well.

Closed Thread