HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Colorado Needs a Center

Old
12-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Kaktus*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duponttime View Post
When Dubinsky actually tries hard again, then people should stick up for that dog. Watch any game Callahan plays compared to Dubinsky and you'll clearly see why Dubinsky is doing nothing. Somebody should show him a tape of Callahan as well.

I have no problem moving any player with a big salary other than Lundqvist as long as they ge something back they can use to win games this year. Colorado doesn't have any kind of center to send in return if we traded them Gomez .

I can't believe I'm saying this but how this solution.

Gomez to L.A. which I'm sure he would accept.

for

Stoll and Hanzdus

Then bring Jagr back......

There, I said it. Put Hanzdus with Jagr to give us a forward line with some size. Honestly, it's not a bad solution right about now.
It's Handzus.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 11:07 AM
Duponttime*

[QUOTE=Kaktus;16982698]It's Handzus.[/QUOTE]

Who cares. He's somebody that might mesh with Jagr if they bring him back and I believe they will

Duponttime* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 11:08 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I will cut off my leg and eat it on youtube if either Gomez or Drury is traded before the season ends.
haha that is awesome!................but really it could happen in the right deal.........a Team like Colorado has alot to give back .............they may be able to come up with a fit actually

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 11:10 AM
Duponttime*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK2794 View Post
How are you going to get Jagr back?
Simple. You sign him. I'm sure he has an out clause in his contract over there and that league is in major financial trouble. I don't think Slats would break a sweat getting him back. It's more freeing up a little cap room which is pretty easy if they want to trade Gomez who is a player teams would have interest in. Even with his salary. The media talks about these big contracts being hard to move. It's really nonsense. A lot of teams wanted to pay FA's big salaries but they just aren't attractive to FA's so they don't go there. A good example is the Oilers who have to result to signing RFA's.

Old
12-25-2008, 11:13 AM
polako

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalRanger View Post
Yes and after winning the cup with them guess what? dun dun dun traded! i don't see why he'd want to go back after getting stabbed in the back like that.
that's not a rare scenario.

kovalev.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 11:19 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Simple. You sign him. I'm sure he has an out clause in his contract over there and that league is in major financial trouble. I don't think Slats would break a sweat getting him back. It's more freeing up a little cap room which is pretty easy if they want to trade Gomez who is a player teams would have interest in. Even with his salary. The media talks about these big contracts being hard to move. It's really nonsense. A lot of teams wanted to pay FA's big salaries but they just aren't attractive to FA's so they don't go there. A good example is the Oilers who have to result to signing RFA's.
A lot of teams pursued Gomez, but the Rangers were the ones that offered the highest salary. That means other teams could no longer afford that price.

As for your Kings proposal, I don't see why they would do this. The Kings won't have any trouble attracting free agents once they start winning games, which they're already doing. They have a boatload of cap space now, which is good, because they have a plethora of great young players. Unlike the Rangers, they can now fill in the holes on their team with the right free agents, rather than trying to build a team around them.

They're going to be going after a scoring winger the next couple of summers, much like the Rangers are going to try to. Acquiring Gomez's crappy contract makes no sense for them. They already have a cheaper, younger and much better center in Kopitar. A lot of rumors have Gaborik going there, but of course they're just rumors at this point. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest, however.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 11:26 AM
Duponttime*

"That means other teams could no longer afford that price. "

That's complete nonsense . One, you are speculating with no facts . Two, many teams can afford to sign players in sports. Their owners just choose not to spend. Many times it's because they think the team can find a way to win. The Kings aren't going to attract anybody. They stink. You failed to look at the fact they played a ton of games at home this year. They are going on the road for a ton of games coming up and they will be destroyed. They also have no goalies for the future. Bernier to me is a bust . I don't see them being good for a long time. They are also a team with no wings. They have lots of centers playing out of position. However, none of the centers they have are actually two way centers near Gomez's level. Kopitar has no clue defensively. To me, Gomez would give them a nice 1-2 punch at center and then they could trade for a wing. You could even throw Prucha in the deal.

Old
12-25-2008, 12:32 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
"That means other teams could no longer afford that price. "

That's complete nonsense . One, you are speculating with no facts . Two, many teams can afford to sign players in sports. Their owners just choose not to spend. Many times it's because they think the team can find a way to win. The Kings aren't going to attract anybody. They stink. You failed to look at the fact they played a ton of games at home this year. They are going on the road for a ton of games coming up and they will be destroyed. They also have no goalies for the future. Bernier to me is a bust . I don't see them being good for a long time. They are also a team with no wings. They have lots of centers playing out of position. However, none of the centers they have are actually two way centers near Gomez's level. Kopitar has no clue defensively. To me, Gomez would give them a nice 1-2 punch at center and then they could trade for a wing. You could even throw Prucha in the deal.
The only one speculating with no facts here is you.

They stink? They're a rebuilding team that no one expected to make the playoffs this season. They're ahead of schedule as far as anyone is concerned. In a year or two, they'll be one of the best teams in the Western Conference. The 20-year-old Bernier is a bust to you? How many times have you watched Bernier play? Seemed fine to me. Even if he is a bust, it isn't that difficult to acquire a goaltender these days. Teams can't give them away right now.

Yeah, I'm sure people are going to stay away from a team with tons of cap space in a major metropolitan city, in a great climate, where they can still remain fairly anonymous because of the lack of attention for hockey.

You could even throw Prucha into the deal? Well, NOW you're talking. I'm sure that's exactly what they've been hoping for all along.

Old
12-25-2008, 01:19 PM
Esa 10

Quote:
Simple. You sign him. I'm sure he has an out clause in his contract over there and that league is in major financial trouble. I don't think Slats would break a sweat getting him back...
At this point of the season Jagr would have to pass through waivers before being allowed to play for the Rangers. Unless they sign him for a gazillion dollars on a long-term deal someone will claim him. Perhaps an Eastern team to simply stop him from improving NY, should he make it known that he'd refuse to play for anyone else. If we sign him after the trade deadline, he won't be eligible for the play-offs.

It's a rule first implemented in the late Eighties. A certain GM in Edmonton used to stash players in Europe before bringing them over for the Cup runs. Like ex-Ranger defenseman Rexi "Plexi." The rule also protects Euro teams from mid-season poaching. I guess these days it's also in effect to stop teams from circumventing the Cap.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 01:32 PM
Esa 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
A lot of teams pursued Gomez, but the Rangers were the ones that offered the highest salary. That means other teams could no longer afford that price...
From what I remember, there were one to three other teams that came in with the same money in each case. Don't know about the NTClauses. Of course, this is from reading hockey journalists, so who knows the exact truth. Maybe 5 other teams made the same offers, maybe none. I remember for sure LA offering Drury the same type deal and Calgary making Redden a similar offer this summer. I think there were 2 other teams in the end there for Gomez. Would they still want them / have cap space / budget space with current economic issues is another question.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 01:53 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

T.J. Hensick
Chris Stewart
Nigel Williams

I'll take them.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 02:26 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

[QUOTE=Duponttime;16982833]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
It's Handzus.[/QUOTE]

Who cares. He's somebody that might mesh with Jagr if they bring him back and I believe they will
Jagr is not coming back. He is under contract with Omsk.

Handzus is a degrade from anything we have.

And Stoll is no better then anything we already have.

If you trade Gomez to LA, which will not happen, you ask for Frolov or O'Sullivan, a prospect, and a draft pick in return.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 02:52 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by _AC_ View Post
He wasn't producing with Zherdev? What team were you watching? Dubinsky was having his best production with Zherdev.
Selective memory at its finest. Renney kept the Dubinsky-Zherdev combo together for as long as he could. Problem is, Dubinsky started tanking back then and has since played himself down to the 3rd line with Voros and Sjostrom...so dont act like the cause of Dubinsky's problems are his linemates...he played himself out of the top 6 and the ends more than justify the means.

Dubinsky continues to be bulletproof around here. I guess if you're not a veteran or making big money, thats the deal around here. Ill even go as far to say that Dubinsky has been the Rangers' most disappointing forward this season...CERTAINLY in the last 25 games or so.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 05:14 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Selective memory at its finest. Renney kept the Dubinsky-Zherdev combo together for as long as he could. Problem is, Dubinsky started tanking back then and has since played himself down to the 3rd line with Voros and Sjostrom...so dont act like the cause of Dubinsky's problems are his linemates...he played himself out of the top 6 and the ends more than justify the means.

Dubinsky continues to be bulletproof around here. I guess if you're not a veteran or making big money, thats the deal around here. Ill even go as far to say that Dubinsky has been the Rangers' most disappointing forward this season...CERTAINLY in the last 25 games or so.
As FLY pointed out in the Fire Renney thread, Dubinsky's poor play seems to coincide with Renney's benching, a move that made absolutely no sense to me. I don't see Redden, Rozsival, Gomez or Drury being benched.

Old
12-25-2008, 06:39 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:

I basically agree with everything you say here. I love Dubi and the whole Playstation line thing was great but after those first couple of dynamite games they weren't really accomplishing anything. Voros' performance the first couple of weeks was clearly an absolute fluke.

As for Dubi, I don't know what the hell is wrong with the kid lately. Everyone on here was really worried that Zherdev would react poorly to a benching but really it looks like it's Dubinsky who has taken his benching to heart. Granted, he doesn't have great linemates but Jagr isn't around to plead his case anymore. If he wants to center one of the first two lines on this team he's going to have steal a spot from Drury and Gomez based on good performances alone.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 07:04 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Again, it isn't that Dubi can't handle being benched. If you watch him, it's clear he doesn't feel comfortable playing his game. Renney wanted to rein him and now Dubi doesn't have the confidence to play his game. He's so concerned with playing Renney's game that he isn't willing to make the plays that he was making early in the season.

Dubi was the best player on the ice almost every game those first few weeks. And what, he took one or two bad penalties and he deserved to be benched? I didn't think so.

Old
12-25-2008, 07:06 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section311 View Post
Maybe we can get Drury to waive his nmc to go back there
Colorado is looking to rebuild. They do not want Drury. He's utterly useless to that team. And especially pick up his contract. Forget about that one.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Dougmustgo*

Trade Dan Fritsche

Why don't we package up Dan Fritsche. He is a center and unfortunately on this team during the game he justs orders pizzas from upstairs. The little time he does play we stick him on the off wing. Isn't his brother already in the Colorado system? Maybe they will jump on this and we could get a pick or two rather than pay him not to play for NYR like we do right now.

Dougmustgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 09:52 PM
pzilla3

they can have dubinsky.

pzilla3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 10:05 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:

Wrong. In terms of forwards, this team has nobody outside of the first line and Dubinsky.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 10:15 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
T.J. Hensick
Chris Stewart
Nigel Williams

I'll take them.
SHATTENKIRK!

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 10:41 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by _AC_ View Post
Wrong. In terms of forwards, this team has nobody outside of the first line and Dubinsky.
are you trying to say dubinsky has played better than drury? he may not be a powerhouse this year but drury is certainly loads ahead of dubinsky's "breakout year"

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 10:48 PM
nyr7andcounting

Quote:
It's that simple to bring Jagr back?

We have no idea if he's willing to come back and I can't imagine any reason he would want to right now. What makes you think he wants to change continents right in the middle of a season? Why would he even consider it knowing that if he signed after the cutoff he has to go through waivers? Why would he risk being claimed by some team he doesn't want to play for? If he ever wanted to come back, why wouldn't he just wait until the offseason when he can choose which team he wants to play for, not to mention get paid more because more teams will have cap room? Seems incredibly retarded for Jagr to try to come back now.

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 11:11 PM
The Thomas J.*

At this point i would be happy if we traded either one of them.
I think Ansinov is gonna be better than all 3 of our centers.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 11:55 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esa 10 View Post
At this point of the season Jagr would have to pass through waivers before being allowed to play for the Rangers. Unless they sign him for a gazillion dollars on a long-term deal someone will claim him. Perhaps an Eastern team to simply stop him from improving NY, should he make it known that he'd refuse to play for anyone else. If we sign him after the trade deadline, he won't be eligible for the play-offs.

It's a rule first implemented in the late Eighties. A certain GM in Edmonton used to stash players in Europe before bringing them over for the Cup runs. Like ex-Ranger defenseman Rexi "Plexi." The rule also protects Euro teams from mid-season poaching. I guess these days it's also in effect to stop teams from circumventing the Cap.
good post Esa. well done.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote